coconut

Vehicles activated in destroyed state

If I activate (not spawn) a group of vehicles, they will appear as burning wrecks.

It doesn't happen all the time. Not when I'm testing (of course not), only when the mission goes "live" (it's a multiplayer mission). I suspect it could be linked to the server having run for a long time, or the mission having run for a long time. Another guess could be that too many objects are being activated at the same time. The game usually gets a noticeable hitch when that happens.

If anybody has experienced that and has information or even wild guesses, feel free to share.

For an example, I'm attaching the mission rush.zip. Probably not very helpful, as it's automatically built by a tool and isn't very human-readable.

Edited by coconut

Thanks for the link. I think the bug I saw might be another one, or the same in a different form. In my case, all I get is a burned wreck that remained where it spawned. It's worth noting that I have logic triggered when tanks get destroyed, and this logic apparently was not triggered, which could indicate that the vehicles did not spawn and then get killed, they just spawned as burning wreck.

If I activate (not spawn) a group of vehicles, they will appear as burning wrecks.

It doesn't happen all the time. Not when I'm testing (of course not), only when the mission goes "live" (it's a multiplayer mission). I suspect it could be linked to the server having run for a long time, or the mission having run for a long time. Another guess could be that too many objects are being activated at the same time. The game usually gets a noticeable hitch when that happens.

If anybody has experienced that and has information or even wild guesses, feel free to share.

For an example, I'm attaching the mission attachicon.gifrush.zip. Probably not very helpful, as it's automatically built by a tool and isn't very human-readable.

I think this may be due to some of the vehicles not being set to the correct nationality.  I see this from time to time and have found that a group spawns and starts killing each other because I missed one or two nationalities.  Just a thought.  If it isn't this then I don't know why it would happen.  just double check your vehicles to make sure they are all set to the same faction.

Thanks for the guess @@TheElf but that's not it. My mission is a pretty long one, divided in three phases. I have tested each phase individually, and they seem to work. It's when they are chained that things go south.

Thinking more about the thread @@PA-Sniv linked to, the bug I'm seeing could be the same bug. When I joined my server while it was running phase 2, about 1h40 or 2h into the mission, I saw lots of armored cars driving around burning. I thought that was odd, but put it on various traffic incidents and remnants of fights I had not witnessed. What it could simply have been is that deactivated vehicles take small amount of damage over time until they are activated.

I'm building a minimal mission to check if that's indeed the case. Will report on it tomorrow after it has run its course, hoping DServer.exe can survive 8 hours without crashing.

My little experiment tonight wasn't conclusive. I activated 30-something tanks in 15min intervals, and they all look 100% healthy.  :(

Apparently, it occurs in RoF as well...

That doesn't instill a lot of confidence that this will be fixed :/

I have seen this on many missions throughout the multiplayer environment.  The only way to tell if the object is alive is to get close and actually see that the tank or object is still intact, but is just on fire (but not really).  This is easily identifiable with moving tanks, but stopped ones require a closer look.

Is there a debug log that the servers could enable---  that could then be shared with the developers to assist in correcting this issue?

Another experiment: Activated 20 groups of 5 tanks at 5s and then 5min interval. Failed to trigger the bug. I'm starting to lose hope of finding a minimal reproduction case  :(

The only way to tell if the object is alive is to get close and actually see that the tank or object is still intact, but is just on fire (but not really).  This is easily identifiable with moving tanks, but stopped ones require a closer look.

Is there a debug log that the servers could enable---  that could then be shared with the developers to assist in correcting this issue?

The easiest way to track the bug is to use a translator:subtitle triggered by the vehicles destruction.

I can confirm this is fixed, great job devs! I will now be able to run all three phases of my Rush mission, offering about 4h of gameplay if the Germans win each phase.

Edited by coconut