VR in sims.. OR and beyond

Something is sure now is that I will not get a new IL2 product with out a change . I do not want a Thunder game but something that follow the step of what DCS is or just even what IL2 Cliff of Dover has. or it's vision, they were on the right path but just the wrong Theater to start with ( they were warned as well at the time ) . This is arsh but it is a reality and a this is a problem with a Il2 of today that refuse to progress. And I think I speak in the name of many people.

And I want IL2 to succeed ..

Edited by GOZR

So much for hardcore flight sims being the chief new thing for VR...

"When the Oculus Rift hits store shelves next year, the virtual-reality headset will come with a free adventure game. How the game is received by initial buyers could have big implications for the device and the VR industry overall.

Facebook Inc.'s Oculus unit on Wednesday said in a blog post that “Lucky’s Tale,” an original title from Texas-based developer Playful Corp., will be packaged with the Rift.

In the game, players control a “fun-loving” fox as he navigates his way through “a charming new world, with dozens of locales and lush environments."

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/12/30/oculus-chooses-game-to-ship-with-rift-vr-headset/

Hopefully the games won't be VR-only "collect lollipops and rainbows" style although I can't imagine how you put a fast paced action FP-shooter into VR

Flight sims would of course be incredible but the lack of display resolution is going to hamper that for the near future.

Edited by SharpeXB

Its been obvious for sometime that complex combat flight sims running at a constant 90 fps was going to be a major problem.  So any new VR flight sim devs will more than likely concentrate on far less complex flight sims, until the headsets, and computers improve. Luckily the devs of the few relatively complex flight sims we currently have, understand the obvious increased immersion levels of VR and are doing what they can to adapt their game engines.  

Once the specs and software of first consumer versions of VR are finalized, I would imagine that even the BOS devs will revisit the possibilities of converting their sim to VR even if it is still DX9 game engine.

I think any flight sim which hasn't VR support will die in 1 year or two. Two of my friends already have oculus rift, and they stopped flying BoS immediately. They are only flying DCS and Elite Dangerous. They admit themselves, that they don't care about the quality of gameplay itself so much. But they say, that the immersion, and the fun which comes with it is so superior when using Oculus Rift compared to a normal screen, that they can never "go back". And this with the Development Kit, which is miles away from a fleshed out VR device. 

I think once more people will be able to afford a proper VR device (more so the computer to run it properly), every flight sim which has no VR working will die immediately. Because everyone will prefer the Sim(s) with working VR, regardless of everything else.

• Upvote 2

I think any flight sim which hasn't VR support will die in 1 year or two. Two of my friends already have oculus rift, and they stopped flying BoS immediately. They are only flying DCS and Elite Dangerous. They admit themselves, that they don't care about the quality of gameplay itself so much. But they say, that the immersion, and the fun which comes with it is so superior when using Oculus Rift compared to a normal screen, that they can never "go back". And this with the Development Kit, which is miles away from a fleshed out VR device. 

I think once more people will be able to afford a proper VR device (more so the computer to run it properly), every flight sim which has no VR working will die immediately. Because everyone will prefer the Sim(s) with working VR, regardless of everything else.

This may be a very radical opinion. I wouldn't throw BOS away too fast even if it is without VR support. Why? DCS has no WW2 gameplay. There is virtually nothing you can do to resemble WW2 air and air to ground operations. The sensation of VR may be impressive but the lack of content will keep people in BOS/M/x. I'd also love to see BOS evolving but before VR i want to see 64bit executable, DX 11 supported and multicore scaling improved. Plus there is an endless field of potential content that i put above VR in my preference ladder.

I think any flight sim which hasn't VR support will die in 1 year or two.

VR isn't going to be that large of a market that quickly. First there's just the cost of the device itself and then the PC capable of running it.

And the experience may not appeal to everyone

VR faces a chick and egg dilemma, people won't buy one if there aren't games for it and devs won't make games if not enough people own one.

And although personally I agree flight sims would be about the most awesome thing to do with VR. Sims like this are still niche games which by themselves aren't going to propel Oculus and such into sucess.

If you get VR flying games they could well be something Microsoft Flight VR instead of some hardcore combat sim.

And the chief limitation for VR at the moment in combat flight sims is the resolution. No matter how incredible the experience, players can't see well enough at the headset resolution. That's been the feedback I see in DCS. ED had to enhance that model enlargement feature so much that now it's switched off on most of the servers.

VR will be certainly astonishing someday but it's going to take time. In that time there are certainly much better things for 1CGS to focus on.

Edited by SharpeXB

That's been the feedback I see in DCS. ED had to enhance that model enlargement feature so much that now it's switched off on most of the servers.

VR will be certainly astonishing someday but it's going to take time. In that time there are certainly much better things for 1CGS to focus on.

Already in the new DX11 Edge graphics engine in DCS I am often having framerates well above 90 fps. When the new video cards come out later this year, that will only increase.

Regarding OR in BOS there is no issue as it will not have support being DX9. Perhaps at some point in the future, we will see.

I'm not so sure that a sim can't be made to work in VR because it has DX9 engine.   It believe Oculus chose not to support DX9, because the features in DX11 etc are more conducive to creating better VR content.  The last think that VR needs at this early stage is poor VR content, that could easily kill the best VR hardware..  BUT that doesn't mean that the BOS developers wouldn't be able to mod their DX9 software enough to produce a decent VR flight sim, without having to completely rewrite their engine to DX10/11 standards..

VR isn't going to be that large of a market that quickly. First there's just the cost of the device itself and then the PC capable of running it.

And the experience may not appeal to everyone

VR faces a chick and egg dilemma, people won't buy one if there aren't games for it and devs won't make games if not enough people own one.

And although personally I agree flight sims would be about the most awesome thing to do with VR. Sims like this are still niche games which by themselves aren't going to propel Oculus and such into sucess.

If you get VR flying games they could well be something Microsoft Flight VR instead of some hardcore combat sim.

And the chief limitation for VR at the moment in combat flight sims is the resolution. No matter how incredible the experience, players can't see well enough at the headset resolution. That's been the feedback I see in DCS. ED had to enhance that model enlargement feature so much that now it's switched off on most of the servers.

We get to find out how true this is in 2 days, Oculus CV1 pre-orders start on Jan 6th https://www.oculus.com/en-us/, the fact that it will be released with bundled games answers part of the question, the rest of the answer comes from the fact that many developers are already supporting VR.

You advocate this perceived issue with resolution as the major stumbling block for VR which I think is a white elephant, most of us started  combat flight simulation with some very limiting hardware but it was simply the concept that we could actually fly and fight virtual aircraft that secured our enthusiasm, VR is about to kick that up a notch.

You advocate this perceived issue with resolution as the major stumbling block for VR which I think is a white elephant,

I don't know if I'd call that issue a "white elephant" it's a real problem. Imagine playing a flight sim at 1080p with a fixed FOV of about 90d and unable to zoom in. It would be pretty much impossible to see any distant aircraft or ground targets. That's how I've seen it described by players on DCS.

Probably VR sets with resolution of 4K per eye or higher won't be too long in coming though.

Looks like it's already here

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/everdisplay-4k-phone-screen-for-vr/

Graphics cards are set for a big leap in power this year too. So running stereoscopic 4K might be within reach.

Edited by SharpeXB

Which makes it a white elephant, an existing issue with little relevance or impact, by the time the initial wow factor has worn off enough for people to care enough about resolution the harware will be there to improve the situation.

Sure. Never say never. I'm sure at some stage this stuff will be really fantastic. I will personally try hold off though until the resolution goes up. If somehow I can resist the temptation to get one of this things.

it's already fantastic.

Yes the folks that have tried them to date, seem to really like them.

I am following the progress with interest, though I get motion sick easy and whilst I am ok with flight simming with Track IR, not sure how much using VR will affect me.

Yeah---I am pretty bummed and frankly shocked that there will be no VR support.  If there is any game in the whole world that flight sim enthusiasts have been waiting there lives for its a WWII VR flight sim.  I thought this would have been apart of the plan from the beginning.  WT sucks as a platform, but they will have support coming out the gate.  As much as I hate that damn thing, going to be really,really,really hard to leave the VR cockpit once it happens.  Hope you guys get it sorted out.  Sad news for me.  The preorders start in 48 hours, I'm all in no matter what the price...

Yeah---I am pretty bummed and frankly shocked that there will be no VR support.  If there is any game in the whole world that flight sim enthusiasts have been waiting there lives for its a WWII VR flight sim.  I thought this would have been apart of the plan from the beginning.

Actually it was a part of the plan in the beginning, and they even demonstrated using the OR with BOS.

However at some point OR made the decision to drop support for  DX9 in their development process , so 1CGS dropped their support for the OR.

I will find it very surprising if someone doesn't figure out a way to make it compatable with current gen titles on formats in which its available. Remember the prototype ran a version of Skyrim to demonstrate it's abilities?
All this dx stuff will get sorted out. Especially if this product takes off the way it could.

Edited by 4./JG53_Beazil