Zak

Developer Diary, Part 107 - Discussion

Seems a bit unfair that we have so easy to shoot Ju-52 and they have nothing so easy for them lol.

We have the LaGG-3, don't we?

Hmm, interesting.

Stalingrad, then Moscow, so we're moving north. Perhaps the Gulf of Finland could be next. Battle of Leningrad? Battle of the Lost Karelia? Or perhaps the Arctic!

But, yes, we're getting ahead of ourselves as we look forward to flying the 110 :pilot:

DIETRICH!  :o:

For the record: simply because new content is being introduced doesn't mean that certain elements of the gameplay have gotten any better.

Not a specific reaction to what you are saying, but there are developments on sides of things players don't always see, namely the mission editor and the server software. Here is a non-exhaustive list of things that have been added since the game came out:

• That was before my time using the ME, but apparently CPU consumption of ground units was significantly improved at some point. I remember AbortedMan and people from TWB reporting they could not develop meaningful ground battles due to excessive CPU usage, and then reporting an improvement on that front.
  • The first version of the mission editor was rather slow when all the static objects on the map were present (towns, bridges...). That has now been improved.
  • A new GUI map mode was added in the ME, which makes it easier to see things such as roads, towns, bridges on the map (and is also less demanding on the GPU)
  • Dynamic map icons were added, making it possible to build dynamic missions with moving fronts. Before that addition, mission maps were cluttered with lots of objectives, some of which were not yet relevant or had already been destroyed.
  • Mission load times seem to have improved a lot. On my most complex mission, I could go make a cup of coffee while waiting for the map to load. Now it takes seconds.
  • Upvote 1

Very nice. I thought the P 40 was going to be next?

Yes, P 40 will be the next plane:

September - P-40 E-1

October - Bf 109 E-7

November - Bf 110 E-2

But, yes, we're getting ahead of ourselves as we look forward to flying the 110 :pilot:

DIETRICH!  :o:

Yes?

If you are shocked that I'm planning to fly a Bf 110, I can assure you it is only a temporary measure while I wait for the Ju 88!  :cool:

If you are shocked I'm even here in the first place, then I refer you to my other comments on the Ju 88! ;)

Coconut thank you for your comments regardings the missions editor. I'm interested to hear about impovement on that front, but not being a mission maker I don't get to see them first hand.

Thanks to the devs to the update on the BF-110. I'm very excited for this plane! I hope to see more twin engine heavy fighers and the like in the future :)

Regards

Albino

Edited by Albino

Looks good. Judging by that middle pic. the airfields should be much easier to spot.

I think those airfield objects are placeholders. They seem awfully monochrome and irridescent. The last pic is much more organic and what I would expect from this crew.

Looking a little closer, the emplacements closer to the tower are smaller than aircraft revetments and appear to be manned. Interesting..........................

HerrMurf, you're right about the objects. perhaps it's the way the sunlight is reflecting off them.

I was referring more to the runway, taxiways and the whole airfield in general.

From a distance they look like they'll be easy to pick out from the general terrain.

Cheers.

Not a specific reaction to what you are saying, but there are developments on sides of things players don't always see, namely the mission editor and the server software. Here is a non-exhaustive list of things that have been added since the game came out:

• That was before my time using the ME, but apparently CPU consumption of ground units was significantly improved at some point. I remember AbortedMan and people from TWB reporting they could not develop meaningful ground battles due to excessive CPU usage, and then reporting an improvement on that front.
  • The first version of the mission editor was rather slow when all the static objects on the map were present (towns, bridges...). That has now been improved.
  • A new GUI map mode was added in the ME, which makes it easier to see things such as roads, towns, bridges on the map (and is also less demanding on the GPU)
  • Dynamic map icons were added, making it possible to build dynamic missions with moving fronts. Before that addition, mission maps were cluttered with lots of objectives, some of which were not yet relevant or had already been destroyed.
  • Mission load times seem to have improved a lot. On my most complex mission, I could go make a cup of coffee while waiting for the map to load. Now it takes seconds.

you can cherry pick a few things you believe are fixed and say the game's improving, others can cherry pick a few things that remain unchanged and claim the game's stagnant. what's the point?

For the record: simply because new content is being introduced doesn't mean that certain elements of the gameplay have gotten any better.

I agree, there`s a lot of things that have not improved especially on the SP side of the game. New planes and maps doesn`t replace that shortage.

Edited by Zami
  • Upvote 2

you can cherry pick a few things you believe are fixed and say the game's improving, others can cherry pick a few things that remain unchanged and claim the game's stagnant. what's the point?

With all the many things constantly happening to this sim, updates and fixes in a strong and steady flow, NOBODY can truthfully say that it is stagnant.

The Zerstörer looks great!

- Ah, how I like to fly that machine..... :-)

This thread is not the place to put Cills of Dover videos.

- And shoot it down!

Edited by Bearcat

Anxious for a sea map

Posted 28 August 2015 - 22:05 avlSteve, on 28 Aug 2015 - 21:48, said: Anxious for a sea map, too, but I guess I'm getting ahead of myself. Hmm, interesting. Stalingrad, then Moscow, so we're moving north. Perhaps the Gulf of Finland could be next. Battle of Leningrad? Battle of the Lost Karelia? Or perhaps the Arctic!

There are some very nice screen shots of what appears to be a Murmansk map in the forum.  http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/5594-will-there-be-other-maps/page-16?hl=+murmansk

I think it's going to be North Africa still; hope
I think you may be right. Here's hoping too!
  • Upvote 2

Revise your logic.

• Upvote 2

The point is the game is improving. It may not be improving in every area that is important to every simmer but it is improving. If you have a product that initially does 12 things and a week later it now does 16 things and the 12 things it did before are either done better or the same.. the product has improved..

• Upvote 4

I looked at the pics from the Friday Night Bomber Runs and my girlfriend commented that they look so real with the lighting etc. I still can't believe how much people moan about this game. I know it has a few glaring flaws but all in all I am of the opinion that this product is already a masterpiece. The screenshots and video are just the surface of what this piece of software has achieved and anyone that reckons it this is not a remarkeable piece of art and genius in programming (for a mere 80USD) is just plain nuts. And before you complain that at that price its double what you pay for Battlefield 4 or whatever, remember that we simmers are a very dedicated bunch and our demand does not nearly match that of the big games.

I have played hundreds of hours already mainly in a 109F4 and I have not even scratched the surface of what this game can do for me in terms of entertainment.... think about it

- 10+ planes - each one with its own learning curve

- skins to design

- missions to create

- single player and multiplayer

- videos and replays with huge options to create movies for youtube

On top of this, the game has improved beyond all my expectations. We are getting new planes every month to explore. New maps and seasons, new campaigns, new modes plus a totally new game in 2016, I mean geez guys, a small team like 777 can only do so much and what they have achieved IMHO is astounding. 

• Upvote 12

I looked at the pics from the Friday Night Bomber Runs and my girlfriend commented that they look so real with the lighting etc. I still can't believe how much people moan about this game. I know it has a few glaring flaws but all in all I am of the opinion that this product is already a masterpiece. The screenshots and video are just the surface of what this piece of software has achieved and anyone that reckons it this is not a remarkeable piece of art and genius in programming (for a mere 80USD) is just plain nuts. And before you complain that at that price its double what you pay for Battlefield 4 or whatever, remember that we simmers are a very dedicated bunch and our demand does not nearly match that of the big games.

I have played hundreds of hours already mainly in a 109F4 and I have not even scratched the surface of what this game can do for me in terms of entertainment.... think about it

- skins to design

- missions to create

On top of this, the game has improved beyond all my expectations. We are getting new planes every month to explore. New maps and seasons, new campaigns, new modes plus a totally new game in 2016, I mean geez guys, a small team like 777 can only do so much and what they have achieved IMHO is astounding. 

Thanks for the nice post Dendro.

:salute:

Jason

- skins to design

- missions to create

Great!! Yes! 

Pleasure Jason, your team thoroughly deserves some kind of recognition for the masterpiece that they have created, even if it is just a few supportive words.   

• Upvote 1

Pleasure Jason, your team thoroughly deserves some kind of recognition for the masterpiece that they have created, even if it is just a few supportive words.   

+1

Unfortunately in places like Reddit the critics (i.e. haters) are having a field day spouting all sorts of vitriol against the sim. They also willfully spread untruths, though knowing better, about for instance the unlocks, which they say are obligatory even though they are now optional. They KNOW it has changed but still tell all sorts of lies and halftruths to newcomers asking for advice about which sim to get.

I'm fighting an uphill struggle there and wish more people would spread the word about how good this sim is. More great BoS movies posted would make a world of difference.

I have a Youtube channel with 2500 sim-crazy subscribers and 1,4 million views and would love to post some great movies of BoS. I don't have time to make anymyself (due to kids), but Jason, you or other gifted sim makers are welcome to avail yourselves of my channel if you want to post great movies of BoS.

• Upvote 2

-snip-

They also willfully spread untruths, though knowing better, about for instance the unlocks, which they say are obligatory even though they are now optional. They KNOW it has changed but still tell all sorts of lies and halftruths to newcomers asking for advice about which sim to get.

I'm fighting an uphill struggle there and wish more people would spread the word about how good this sim is. More great BoS movies posted would make a world of difference.

-snip-

You should be more aware of the untruths and halftruths that you tell...

The unlocks are absolutely obligatory unless you purchase the $80 Premium Edition of the game... The majority of the newcomers you speak of are flying Standard Edition and will be obligated to complete the unlocks if they wish to use them in-game.

Nobody is asking you to "fight an uphill struggle" and the Reddit community for the IL-2 subreddit (and more specifically, the Battle of Stalingrad subreddit) are dead and have been dead for a good while... I know this because I check on them very regularly...

Who you are actually battling over there? I certainly don't know... There doesn't seem to be much vitriol looking from the perspective of my eyeballs...

And if anybody here doesn't believe me feel free to look for yourself:

https://www.reddit.com/r/il2

https://www.reddit.com/r/battleofstalingrad

EDIT: Look, I get it... You like BOS and you feel that it is the only relevant CFS on the market right now... I don't disagree in a lot of ways but this "Everybody is out to get us (me.) Watch my Youtubes!" stuff is unfounded and a little silly...

Edited by Space_Ghost
  • Upvote 1

I'm talking about r/flightsim which is the most visited flightsim forum on Reddit and the obvious place for newcomers to go.

Edited by Freycinet

Ease up guys. Please don't argue. We appreciate anyone who gives positive info about BOS. I think when the new maps arrive movie makers will have some new visuals to work with which will open up new motivations.

Whenever we've had a call to action to help the rep of the sim, we get beat up, so we've stopped asking anyone to do anything on our behalf. We just want users who do buy the sim to enjoy it. New pilots buy in every day. If you like BOS/BOM tell a friend, but you don't need to publicly support us.

Jason 

• Upvote 2

Ease up guys. Please don't argue. We appreciate anyone who gives positive info about BOS. I think when the new maps arrive movie makers will have some new visuals to work with which will open up new motivations.

Whenever we've had a call to action to help the rep of the sim, we get beat up, so we've stopped asking anyone to do anything on our behalf. We just want users who do buy the sim to enjoy it. New pilots buy in every day. If you like BOS/BOM tell a friend, but you don't need to publicly support us.

Jason 

Even though I give critics when it is IMO necessary I have always enjoyed BoS. It is a great piece of work already and can eventually be the best WW2 sim. Therefore I support it publicly and otherwise whenever I can. Not because I was asked to but because I want to.

Edited by Zami

-snip-

We just want users who do buy the sim to enjoy it. New pilots buy in every day. If you like BOS/BOM tell a friend, but you don't need to publicly support us.

Jason 

We do and we do.

That is why it is always worth posting against damaging generalizations of the community here and abroad.

You should be more aware of the untruths and halftruths that you tell...

The unlocks are absolutely obligatory unless you purchase the $80 Premium Edition of the game... The majority of the newcomers you speak of are flying Standard Edition and will be obligated to complete the unlocks if they wish to use them in-game.

............ the Reddit community for the IL-2 subreddit (and more specifically, the Battle of Stalingrad subreddit) are dead and have been dead for a good while... I know this because I check on them very regularly...

Consider this. A weeklong sale for BoS just ended where BoS Premium could have been purchased for $40. If you already had BoS standard.. you could have gotten both Premium aircraft for $20.

In any other universe.. a sim the quality of BoS warts and all.. (rapidly shrinking warts I might add) , particularly in a market where there was one other.. two other if you include War Thuder.. developer supported sims and even with that, a market where BoS is the only dedicated WWII sim that is still receiving developer support.... would be considered a steal at $40. 

Yet there were those who felt that even at $40... it was not worth it. Go figure. It is what it is and some people will never be satisfied.. I don't know of any sim ever that has not had controversy over FMs, DMs, renderings, something.. always something..

Of course.. the Premium edition allows you to bypass all but the skin unlocks.. and simply by buying the premium aircraft you can upgrade to Premium and bypass the unlocks.. so for the moist part the unlocks are moot. There are those who did not do that .. still.. because of some of the drama associated with this title. Drama that , in the bigger scheme of things is undeserved in the degree that it has been.. 

Given the coming content .. even if one did not buy into BoM therefore rendering the I-16, MC202 upcoming P-40, 110 etc etc.. in the form of new maps and updated campaigns...  BoS is shaping up quite nicely and contrary to what some have predicted .. it is still here and it is growing. Add in BoM.. and it gets even jucier. Given the cost of developing quality sims.. and given what is available on the market as far as WWII sims go..Two years from now we will all look back at this and some of us will shake our heads in disbelief and others will be silent... for now though just take BoS for what it is and embrace the future and the fact that BoS will have one.

• Upvote 3

Consider this. A weeklong sale for BoS just ended where BoS Premium could have been purchased for $40. If you already had BoS standard.. you could have gotten both Premium aircraft for $20.

In any other universe.. a sim the quality of BoS warts and all.. (rapidly shrinking warts I might add) , particularly in a market where there was one other.. two other if you include War Thuder.. developer supported sims and even with that, a market where BoS is the only dedicated WWII sim that is still receiving developer support.... would be considered a steal at $40. 

Yet there were those who felt that even at $40... it was not worth it. Go figure. It is what it is and some people will never be satisfied.. I don't know of any sim ever that has not had controversy over FMs, DMs, renderings, something.. always something..

Of course.. the Premium edition allows you to bypass all but the skin unlocks.. and simply by buying the premium aircraft you can upgrade to Premium and bypass the unlocks.. so for the moist part the unlocks are moot.

Given the coming content .. even if one did not buy into BoM therefore rendering the I-16, MC202 upcoming P-40, 110 etc etc.. in the form of new maps and updated campaigns...  BoS is shaping up quite nicely and contrary to what some have predicted .. it is still here and it is growing. Two years from now we will all look back at this and some of us will shake our heads in disbelief and others will be silent... for now though just take BoS for what it is and embrace the future and the fact that BoS will have one.

I'm not critiquing anything... I was pointing out that the unlocks aren't optional if you only own Standard Edition which is going to be most of the users on Steam...  :salute:

I'm not critiquing anything... I was pointing out that the unlocks aren't optional if you only own Standard Edition which is going to be most of the users on Steam...  :salute:

No to nitpick, but if you have the ability to purchase the premium Content and unlock the weapon s.....is this not an "option". IE: the unlocks are optional? Not having an option would be, no matter what, you have to play through the campaign to unlocks.

Just saying

Btw I hate unlocks. And am super glad I bought premium as I was able to get around them.

Me too.. My only regret was that I finished the campaign a week or so before the unlocks were amended.. LOL..

I am not saying that you are.. just that it still exists and is still vocal and is even less founded today than it was six months ago with the exception of criticism for some aspects of SP content (becausde even there there have been improvements.. i.e. unlocks among other things..) which I have no doubt at all will not be the same way it is now a year from now..  Given that if you look honestly at the fact this sim is still less than a year old regardless to how old it's engine is to advocate anything other than just wait to see what happens is disingenuine at best..

I had a blast doing the campaign missions such as they where; I even unlocked everything when I did it. So I have all unlocked weapons and fieldmods and skins!

Edited by 71st_Mastiff

Yeah I got the last skin for the He-111 about 2 weeks before they amended the unlocks.. I think..

I wonder will the VVS get an AI only transport as well? Seems a bit unfair that we have so easy to shoot Ju-52 and they have nothing so easy for them lol.

The context of the game is the battle of Stalingrad. There was no need for the Soviets to establish an airlift. And VVS wouldn't have had resources for an operation like the air bridge.

There are other sims out there with no unlocks etc etc..... I have them all..... to me, none of them come close to BoS in terms of flight, feel and overall experience. Once the MP coops and SP campaign are sorted, the devs will be free to create new planes, theatres and maps to go with. I imagine a sim that will eventually reach similar proportions of the old IL2 but with the magnificence of BoS.

I held back on BoS because of the initial failure of Cliffs of Dover and was concerned they would abandon the project. They went at it with a high buy-in price - 99USD - but even then when I watched those early vids and live streams , I knew it was going to be worthwhile.

I know a lot of the guys like to tinker and have clickable dials and mission editors etc etc, but when you are actually flying and you have a buddy bobbing on your wing and the morning sun over the snow below, with the anticipation of bandit yaks a few minutes away..... I have never seen or experienced anything that comes close to this product.

The niggles will be fixed over time and I am sure I'll get frustrated and annoyed at some things but we are not yet even a year in. I cannot imagine how this product will be in 5 to 10 years down the line but if its anything like what has already been created, I am sure it is going to blow my mind like it does at the moment.

The context of the game is the battle of Stalingrad. There was no need for the Soviets to establish an airlift. And VVS wouldn't have had resources for an operation like the air bridge.

From the way that they treated their soldiers back then, I think the Red Army top-brass would have deemed a 6th army scenario as an "expendable" and written them off. 

From the way that they treated their soldiers back then, I think the Red Army top-brass would have deemed a 6th army scenario as an "expendable" and written them off.

Alternative history is not very rewarding. The 6th army was written off.