Zak

Developer Diary, Part 107 - Discussion

The context of the game is the battle of Stalingrad. There was no need for the Soviets to establish an airlift. And VVS wouldn't have had resources for an operation like the air bridge.

To be fair, nobody said anything of an air bridge.

Just a VVS AI transport that we can shoot at the same way we have the Ju 52

The context of the game is the battle of Stalingrad. There was no need for the Soviets to establish an airlift. And VVS wouldn't have had resources for an operation like the air bridge.

The Soviets used their Li-2s (license-built Douglas DC-3) both as transports and bombers. ADD (long range aviation) units equipped with Li-2 bombers were active during the battle of Stalingrad, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to add the Li-2 to the game. Though I doubt that the developers will do it.

When this series is in the autumn of its development I do hope to get some aircraft which are here simply for the joy of flying them; DC3, Lancaster, Catalina, etc. They, like the Ju52, are important players IRL but probably less so in relation to the game.

But I realize that is quite a ways off.

Edited by [LBS]HerrMurf

Hopefully we're talking ten years down the road, before this 'autumn' sets in - not that I wouldn't like a flyable Ju 52 before then.

i was really surprised that is exactly Bf 110 E-2/N. but that is historically correct..........

only what about correct ata setting for end of 1941 - it is 3 or 5 min. 1.35/2600 - or 1-2 or 3 min. 1.42/2600 from some docs?

PS btw guys, what do you think about Mustang Mark I/IA? i mean, it will be better than Hurricane, Spitfire V, Tomahawk, Kittyhawks, P-39s etc for US/worldwide players at EF'1942, or not?........ but, probably, i found answer. :biggrin:

Edited by bivalov

PS btw guys, what do you think about Mustang Mark I/IA? i mean, it will be better than Hurricane, Spitfire V, Tomahawk, Kittyhawks, P-39s etc for US/worldwide players at EF'1942, or not?........ but, probably, i found answer. :biggrin:

The USSR recieved like a dozen or something second hand Mustang Mk. Is for evaluation, and found them to be rubbish (likely because they were worn out examples in the first place). They also recieved af few later B/C and Ds but in small numbers, and to my knowledge, they never used them in front line service, so Mustangs for the Eastern Front is pretty much a non-starter IMHO.

Edited by Finkeren

sorry for my offtop, guys, but it could be interesting for little mindstorm.

but, btw, what is really interesting, is mods which Bf 110 can have in BOM. i.e. i mean these big bombs and lot of additional armor for ground attacks.

The USSR recieved like a dozen or something second hand Mustang Mk. Is for evaluation, and found them to be rubbish (likely because they were worn out examples in the first place). They also recieved af few later B/C and Ds but in small numbers, and to my knowledge, they never used them in front line service, so Mustangs for the Eastern Front is pretty much a non-starter IMHO.

according to last books, USSR got ~ 4 or 5 Mustangs, although, i not really sure here.

and personally i just can't compare low/mid performance of any Bf 109 F/G or Fw 190 A-3, plus these planes really were in not best conditions of service etc.

well, in total, i just know that we have some documents ( i.e. after combat reports - for example), and there were mentioned about 2 or 3 Mustangs Mark 1, which really were used in combat sorties during september'42 at Kalininskiy front, in 3 VA/209 IAD (as you can see, it is almost Velikie Luki map from BOS).

so, it is my point for question about US plane with good original unlocks ( including possibility of overboost of their Allisons F3R) and some real combat use at EF.

but looks like that if Spit 5 are just not US plane, Mustang is definately worse than P-39 by many reasons including Battle of Kursk................... or?

Edited by bivalov

MC202... That is all.

That reminds me. In all the campaign intercept missions I've flown, the Ju-52's are approaching from the east, not the west. Can this be fixed?

That reminds me. In all the campaign intercept missions I've flown, the Ju-52's are approaching from the east, not the west. Can this be fixed?

Maybe they're supposed to be on their way back out?

Or maybe they took the long way around to throw off the Russian defenses?

Or maybe it's because you're flying missions in the morning, and the Ju-52 pilots were WWI retreads who were well schooled in the Dicta Boelcke and took the long route so they could come screaming in from out of the sun?

The Soviets used their Li-2s (license-built Douglas DC-3) both as transports and bombers. ADD (long range aviation) units equipped with Li-2 bombers were active during the battle of Stalingrad, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to add the Li-2 to the game. Though I doubt that the developers will do it.

Not for the argument sake but to expand on what I was trying to say.

Ju-52 was added to the game because of the role it played during the air bridge. Ju-52 and He-111 flew thousands of transport missions. The actual Ju-52 and Li-2 roles were just not equal to represent these aircraft equally in the game.

Li-2s were operating in the area but generally as long range bombers. So a situation where a German fighter intercepts a Li-2 on a transport mission is rather unrealistic.

When this series is in the autumn of its development I do hope to get some aircraft which are here simply for the joy of flying them; DC3, Lancaster, Catalina, etc. They, like the Ju52, are important players IRL but probably less so in relation to the game.

But I realize that is quite a ways off.

I hope in the future we will see aircraft models done by talented community members like in Il-2 1946. This could be a way to add plane types to the game that aren't of interest for the developers from a commercial point of view. Am thinking about planes like the Fi-156, Fw-189, Hs-126, Po-2 or Li-2.

• Upvote 3

so...no Devblog on the 4th? Did they mention somewhere why not? I can't remember reading anything about it and there Facebook page seem pretty quite too.

so...no Devblog on the 4th? Did they mention somewhere why not? I can't remember reading anything about it and there Facebook page seem pretty quite too.

No devblog last friday. Maybe we get bigger one this week ;)

i hope so. i was a bit disappointed. I hope we see the some first pictures of the Ju 88 soon. I love that plane

Can wait for pics of the 88. Sadly I assume this will be the last aircraft released as it is one of the most complex

Can wait for pics of the 88. Sadly I assume this will be the last aircraft released as it is one of the most complex

Almost definately. Unless they for some reson decide, that since it's propably not gonna take that much work to make the slightly different from BoS IL-2, BF 109F2 and Pe-2 they'll skip those for last.

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 1

do you guys think the E-7 we get will have a /N modification to use 100 octane fuel?

do you guys think the E-7 we get will have a /N modification to use 100 octane fuel?

I doubt it but I guess could be one of the upgrades