Sign in to follow this  
avlSteve

Canopy open

There was a new feature implemented awhile back that limited how far you could lean out of the cockpit with the canopy open beyond a certain speed.  I've noticed that once again, I can lean my head way out with impunity at any speed.  Makes it easy to spot and navigate, but the realism went south.

I hope they re-instantiate the limitation in an upcoming release, along with the blackouts and redouts, which are also gone.

When I replay a track after combat almost everyone has cockpit open. I am flying the 190 open too when it can help me. The drag penalty is about 10-20 km/h and there is no wind to restrain movement. 

Edited by =[Coffin]=Gielow

I don't think you could IRL fly the 109 with canopy opened without damaging or having it bouncing and closing at the first bank to the left

I don't think you could IRL fly the 109 with canopy opened without damaging or having it bouncing and closing at the first bank to the left

Supposedly it ruined control authority of the rudder and elevator.

there is no wind to restrain movement. 

Oh there is! Back in beta I used to jettison my canopy all the time in the G-2.. tried it with the 202 as well. You will snap roll far easier.

As for sticking your head out, I do it all the time in Russian aircraft. I can almost feel the flames from the engine on my face. But doing it at 6000m going 500kph in my Lagg and sticking my head out as far as a dog is pretty unrealistic.

Edited by Y-29.Silky

You know I was just talking about this the other night, it does seem to not have any consequnce on my player.  I would prefer some kind of "freezing" visual effect similar to blood but maybe a wite otu or something. 

Edited by [TWB]Hooves_McG
  • Upvote 2

Maybe nothing changed and you used to be able to lean even further out.  Not sure, just flew a 190 and maybe it's restricted somewhat, and I'm just expecting more.  

I think I was in a Yak at 500 kph and it felt like my head was a foot outside the cockpit.  I'll check it out again this weekend.

Speaking of icing, is it my imagination or did we used to get frost on the windshield?

From the light tests me and Pand have done I can telly you that any aircraft with its canopy open will have a significant speed disadvantage from one with its canopy closed.  

As far as head-sticking-out-ability I can personally attest to the fact that in a 190 and a yak-1 that the faster you go the less you can stick your head out.  At high altitudes you can stick your head out because of the decreased air density and therefor decreased force upon your noggin upon exiting of the aircraft. 

From the light tests me and Pand have done I can telly you that any aircraft with its canopy open will have a significant speed disadvantage from one with its canopy closed.  

As far as head-sticking-out-ability I can personally attest to the fact that in a 190 and a yak-1 that the faster you go the less you can stick your head out.  At high altitudes you can stick your head out because of the decreased air density and therefor decreased force upon your noggin upon exiting of the aircraft. 

you just forgot the temperaure at that altitude, i can't imagine a pilot saying "ok i rather die from hiportermia but be able to see the enemy before he kills me"

so apart from drag force temp is a huge concern at that altitude to fly with yer canopy opened

I guarantee you that my head and body movements were very restricted on my Sports bikes

at 250 to 270 kph.

My full face visor opened once at 230 kph and I almost fell off the bike holding on

for dear life when my head snapped back.

I cannot imagine a guy flying around with an open canopy at 500 kph

I would keep my wee head inside by experience.

• Upvote 2

I guarantee you that my head and body movements were very restricted on my Sports bikes

at 250 to 270 kph.

My full face visor opened once at 230 kph and I almost fell off the bike holding on

for dear life when my head snapped back.

I would keep my wee head inside by experience.

this

WWII fighter pilot have a button for fast "loose the shoulder straps",  :biggrin: so he can put the chest outside the cockpit easy.

Or maybe they all have giraffe's neck? "Linda Blair" neck to look straight back at 180º they have, be sure!  :lol:

... "It's only a game";)

Edited by Sokol1

Either way. I think they shouldo decrease the ability to look out. And if too much time is spent. Have some kind of indication you are freezing to death lol.

• Upvote 2

I think they removed the restriction on head movement so that you can see the exhaust flame and properly adjust mixture.

• Upvote 1

Either way. I think they shouldo decrease the ability to look out. And if too much time is spent. Have some kind of indication you are freezing to death lol.

The "frost effect" overlay previously mentioned in the thread would be pretty awesome.

Off topic: I once played ROF's winter map during the winter with the patio door open, fan blowing in, while wearing a leather trench coat... Talk about immersion. ;)

I mean no disrespect. I agree with the first statement, the slower you fly the further you could stick your head out. But your last statement IMO ignores the concept of true airspeed and the basic physics concept of kinetic energy . Generally speaking, for a given Indicated airspeed, the corresponding True airspeed will be higher as altitude increases. At least that's been my experience, and I've been flying since 1971. So while a given volume of air may be less dense at a higher altitude, you have significantly increased your velocity (for a given Indicated airspeed) through that volume. I'm sure you recall that kinetic energy increases with a square of the speed, and it's True airspeed that matters.

Cheers

For what it is worth, in the game there is still head movement restriction at various speeds.  These are rough but as it sits now starting at 4000m using an La-5:

300 kph = 186 mph  - Able to fully extend head out of cockpit, even looking down at side of fuselage.
>400 kph = 248 mph - Can still extend head out of cockpit but more restricted
>500 kph = 310 mph - Can only move head to frame of cockpit, cannot extend to see side of fuselage.

I am not saying the restrictions are correct, just that something is still in place.

In my experience what really restricts a pilot's ability to look around is being strapped into the seat.  Your harness and lap belts, if correctly secured, provide the greatest restriction to movement in the cockpit.  Right now, I don't think pilots have any restrictions such as these in the game, therefore a little Track IR manipulation and you can look anywhere you want, regardless of airspeed, altitude, or canopy position.

I stuck my arm out of a B-17 at 180mph (pointing at something) and nearly lost my arm (and COMPLETELY forgot what I was pointing at) while my son kept yelling "WHAT?".

And, other than *maybe* (doubtful) some factory test flights, I don't think the 190 was ever flown with an open canopy.  Just off the top of the noggin there.

I stuck my arm out of a B-17 at 180mph (pointing at something) and nearly lost my arm (and COMPLETELY forgot what I was pointing at) while my son kept yelling "WHAT?".

I partially stuck my head out of a B-17 holding a camera to get this shot. 

2129702296_14f48e01a3_z.jpg

Did you tell your son to keep his voice down?  ;)

I could hardly hear him, and I was preoccupied with trying to put my rotator cuff back together.  Is that Nine-O-Nine?

I could hardly hear him, and I was preoccupied with trying to put my rotator cuff back together.  Is that Nine-O-Nine?

Yes, Nine-o-Nine.  Is that the one you flew in also?

It had a scoop to catch the airflow and pull the canopy off.

I think that problem is somehow connected with no blackout bug. Something changed with the pilot in one of the latest patches....

Airbus 320 family cockpit window open speed limitation is 200 KIAS.

I never opened it and never tried to put my head out lol

• Upvote 1

I think that problem is somehow connected with no blackout bug. Something changed with the pilot in one of the latest patches....

I'll confirm that restrictions are still in place.  At > 500 kph I was not able to get my head outside the cockpit.  VR_Stick gave some more details earlier in the thread.

I should have done some more testing before I posted, but it's an interesting topic, nonetheless.  

A bit OT, but you know sim GFX have come quite far when you have to really check the picture to see if ti's real or an ingame screenshot!

• Upvote 1

Airbus 320 family cockpit window open speed limitation is 200 KIAS.

I never opened it and never tried to put my head out lol

I routinely open mine whilst at the gate...usually to clean the bug spooge off the windscreen. ;)

When I replay a track after combat almost everyone has cockpit open. I am flying the 190 open too when it can help me. The drag penalty is about 10-20 km/h and there is no wind to restrain movement. 

As curiosity: Yak(?) speed reduction relative to canopy open (1/3, 1/2, 2/3).

tab1.jpg

fig2.jpg

Relative to flaps: http://www.airpages.ru/dc/doc117.shtml

Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 1