Bullets

Any ROFers here feel the same?

I remember my first flight in the Lagg after mostly only flying in ROF and ww1 birds... The lagg felt like it flew at lightspeed! I had so much less time to make decisions and react to the aircraft flying. I struggled to take off as I couldn't handle the power and landing was a messy affair.. I was used to landing at 50mph not 180kph... Safe to say my first terrible flights almost sacred me off WW2 aircraft.. I feared I was not a good enough pilot to handle the aircraft but I stuck with it and now I can't go back.. Sure, flying the old WW1 birds around sure is peaceful and almost quaint but I get a little bored compared to the speed of the aircraft in BOS/BOM. Anyway I was wondering if there are any ROF old-timers who struggled at first flying the WW2 aircraft but now love it  :biggrin:  :salute: .

I went straight from RoF (my first sim) to DCS A-10C. From biplanes to jets! Wow!

I still dig RoF though it's the best.

Haha! That must have been one hell of a transition.. 

Haha! That must have been one hell of a transition..

The speed not so much as all the stuff in the cockpit...

Yeah. First time in BoS was pretty scary. Everything seemed to go so much faster (not just compared to RoF, it seemed really fast against IL2-1946)

What really took some getting used to was ground attack. It requires lightning reflexes and precision flying which I doubt many of us had when we first fired up BoS.

• Upvote 1

I remember the first time I flew the F-4... *wipes single tear from eye*

I am still not convinced it could really climb like a rocket ship like it did back then (and now...)

It certainly took some getting used to but I'm sure I had it easier than a lot of people. Along with RoF, I was also playing DCS before BoS entered EA and even spent a couple months over at WT to get a temporary WW2 fix. For me, the hardest part was taxiing. All other flight sims up to that point either didn't have taxiing or had it totally unrealistic. So I certainly struggled with that and still do with some of the planes. I haven't played RoF much since BoS came out, but I do periodically hop in. I don't find it boring, just different. It's the same way comparing DCS: MiG-21 to BoM's I-16. Just cause one goes mach 2.3 and the other can't break mach 0.3 doesn't mean both aren't fun.

I started out with the original IL2, so never touched a WW1 bird until RoF.  I think it may be harder to go backwards than forwards in tech.  The lack of anything resembling stability, coupled with the low structural limits of the WW1 birds was, interesting.

For me it's fully on the contrary. No doubt both games are great and give super emotions but..

I loved old Il-2 till I met RoF and I'm still deep in it :)

BoS couldn't give me same feelings as RoF (and still can not) - inexpressible feeling of flight, risky interesting dogfights, romatic and "sense of touch of wind".

I'm flying in RoF because I want but I'm flying in BoS because I need.

Edited by Baron-von-Myakin

ROF was the nearest thing to real flight to me for a long time. I fly gliders IRL so I was used to the slower pace which I enjoyed. Will load up ROF again eventually although I am still secretly waiting for a snipe / siemens-schuckert d.iv or ROF 2  ;)

I flew the Rockwell Commander 112 and the Beech Duchess. ROF comes really close to GA - tailgraggers, though ;)

Having flown every sim since the "jet.exe" (DOS) era, thru Red Baron, Jane's series, etc, all I can say is that today I have DCS, CloD, BoS and RoF installed, and RoF is perhaps 50% of my flying time. DCS accounts for another 40%, then CloD perhaps 8%... and BoS 2%. I don't know why, but I didn't fell in love with it. Maybe all that white on maps... who knows? Plan to check again when summer map enters the arena.

Edited by jokerBR

Having flown every sim since the "jet.exe" (DOS) era, thru Red Baron, Jane's series, etc, all I can say is that today I have DCS, CloD, BoS and RoF installed, and RoF is perhaps 50% of my flying time. DCS accounts for another 40%, then CloD perhaps 8%... and BoS 2%. I don't know why, but I didn't fell in love with it. Maybe all that white on maps... who knows? Plan to check again when summer map enters the arena.

It's the maps. Snow is boring as hell. My percentage is about the same with x-plane holding 30% & CLOD at 2%

Edited by indiaciki

WWI best, heroic period for those pilots

p.s. in my avatar full 91° Squadriglia it became known as "the squadron of aces"

Edited by 150GCT_Pan

ROF is one of the best flightsims ever made! It gives a very realistic feel to it!

ROF is one of the best flightsims ever made! It gives a very realistic feel to it!

Yes !

When BoS first became available I did fly it a few times with squad mate. I did soon get bored of it though. I think I have less than half an hour flying time in the last few months.

Even though I haven't flown BoS much, I did purchase BoM the other day. I'm hoping the summer maps will make me put a few more hours back in.

RoF on the other hand has my undivided attention. I seldom fail to dedicate my Sunday evenings flying a "Syndicate Vintage Mission".

There is something that just grabs me about RoF that no other flight sim can. I don't know if it's the flying the old crates on the very edge of their performance, trying to conserve every ounce of energy or it's when you are nursing your battered crate back home after a tense dogfight, praying she doesn't fall apart on you.

I hope someday that some of the things that make BoS/BoM great will filter back down into RoF.

• Upvote 2

When BoS first became available I did fly it a few times with squad mate. I did soon get bored of it though. I think I have less than half an hour flying time in the last few months.

Even though I haven't flown BoS much, I did purchase BoM the other day. I'm hoping the summer maps will make me put a few more hours back in.

RoF on the other hand has my undivided attention. I seldom fail to dedicate my Sunday evenings flying a "Syndicate Vintage Mission".

There is something that just grabs me about RoF that no other flight sim can. I don't know if it's the flying the old crates on the very edge of their performance, trying to conserve every ounce of energy or it's when you are nursing your battered crate back home after a tense dogfight, praying she doesn't fall apart on you.

I hope someday that some of the things that make BoS/BoM great will filter back down into RoF.

+1

• Upvote 1

noticed that wargrounds in BOS has no players? none. I can't belive this. I gues ther's a differnt mentality - Il-2 players compared to ROF. ROF are much more into flying in comparison to il-2 aerial-fps players.

I still remember the first time I flew RoF - it was september 18th 2009. I went from the old IL2 - and I stopped him fly. RoF is simply a phenomenon that has become a legend and replaced the King - the Red Baron II/3D. I love this sim in all its forms.

... lately but I fly only BoS. This sim is getting better and better matures like good wine. Feeling of flight is a unique and single sim who offered me something similar is RoF only. Ofcourse I have IL2: CoD and DCS too. I have almost all DCS modules (except two training machines) and despite the undisputed quality of processing DCS - the BoS in general feeling of "combat flight" is simply much better (note that this is purely my private opinion, and i suppose that DCS rock fans will scalp me). To tell you the truth, BoS is poised to replace the old IL2 (which itself not so great sim as they say, but owes its popularity mod scene) assuming that it will continue to evolve towards more fighting areas, does not remain only on the Eastern Front. Personally I hope that we`ll have Pacific, West European and Mediterranean area too. Want I a lot? Yes I want. On the other hand, this team has all the prerequisites to do it.

Edited by II./JG1_Baron
  • Upvote 5

For me it`s just the other way around. I have RoF installed, it`s a great sim no doubt but I don`t really fly it these days. WW1 just don`t do it for me.

I have also CloD and DCS but BoS get`s my attention almost 100% when simming. I`m glad we have at least few options to choose from, people have different preferences.

For me, the biggest difference was the closing speeds. By the time I can easily identify an aircraft in BoS, it's too late :)

Everything happens much faster, and much bigger distances.

But when I go back to RoF, boy it feels SLOW! Climbing and reaching No Man's Land feels like I'm hanging on a paraglider :)

• Upvote 1

Before I got into RoF I flew majorly WW2 birds in FSX, MS CFS 2 and a lot War Thunder. Later one teached me the bare rules of dogfighting and greatly improved my situational awareness but was very fast paced and DMs were super sensetive (one lucky shot and you burned to death or sayed goodbye to your wings).

When I got into RoF (I was sceptical that biplanes wouldnt suit me well) I noticed the better flight physics, more resisdent airplanes and the more adult comunity. It was there that I slowly began to learn to improve my dogfighting skills thx to the slow combat pace and rare oneshot-death occasions.

It is still one of my favourite sims and apart from some of the recent FM changes only the low ammount of players is really holding me off still playing it regularily. My weekends are reserved for real flying already so I'm mostly excluded from weekend events unfortunately.

BoS was not too hard of a transition to me as it combined my expirience with WW2 birds and the RoF physics perfectly, although I had to practise landings and taxiing a lot.

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

noticed that wargrounds in BOS has no players? none. I can't belive this. I gues ther's a differnt mentality - Il-2 players compared to ROF. ROF are much more into flying in comparison to il-2 aerial-fps players.

This very true and the main reason is we have no dedicated mission builder to bring new missions to you yet. We do invite any who have missions to let us review them for possible use on our servers.

I fly ROF for relaxation! :biggrin:

yours

v.Greiff

This is a good point and I'd like to remind or inform those that we at New Wings have our Basic Training server where you can fly quietly by yourself or with a mate. And we have our Tuesday Night Fly-In where you can join with veteran an new pilots in flying our obstacle course or just follow the leader. 

One overall thing comes out of this thread to me. An overall love of flying no matter the flight simulation. A very positive and enjoyable thread considering some I've read lately.

Chief

ROF basically brought me back into flightsims after a ~5 year break from IL2.

I was definately more enthusiastic about RoF than i am about BoS now. I liked this feeling of flying over no mans land with AAA opening up when you got close, seing the occasional two seater recon or observation balloon and flying around in a very vulnerable airplane with no parachutes and generally little chance of survival, if you lost a dogfight. It added a bit of tension and you never really knew what would happen if you fly over enemy lines. I also think the fights just seemed more interesting and personal. Getting the upper hand when flying a worse plane or being in a worse situation when the fight started could take a long time and if you suceed, it's a pretty statisfying experience.

In WW2 flightsims, you can usually avoid death, often by diving away or just bailing out and with the high speed, you could fly to friendly territory pretty quickly, if you spot the enemy in time. That's probably the main reason why i generally don't like WW2 as much as RoF in multiplayer and usually stuck (and stick) to singleplayer.

ROF basically brought me back into flightsims after a ~5 year break from IL2.

I was definately more enthusiastic about RoF than i am about BoS now. I liked this feeling of flying over no mans land with AAA opening up when you got close, seing the occasional two seater recon or observation balloon and flying around in a very vulnerable airplane with no parachutes and generally little chance of survival, if you lost a dogfight. It added a bit of tension and you never really knew what would happen if you fly over enemy lines. I also think the fights just seemed more interesting and personal. Getting the upper hand when flying a worse plane or being in a worse situation when the fight started could take a long time and if you suceed, it's a pretty statisfying experience.

In WW2 flightsims, you can usually avoid death, often by diving away or just bailing out and with the high speed, you could fly to friendly territory pretty quickly, if you spot the enemy in time. That's probably the main reason why i generally don't like WW2 as much as RoF in multiplayer and usually stuck (and stick) to singleplayer.

This is why I firmly support strong and equal treatments between multiplayer & single player formats as some are not comfortable online or do not have the band width to enjoy online play.

Chief

Edited by -NW-ChiefRedCloud

With school starting up here in the states I find I have less time for simming than I did in the summer. Whenever I sit down to get a little stick time in I find myself choosing RoF over BoS everytime. It's not that I don't like BoS or that I don't see the obvious improvements that they have made with BoS, It's just that I find RoF som much more fun to fly! Maybe summer maps will help?

With school starting up here in the states I find I have less time for simming than I did in the summer. Whenever I sit down to get a little stick time in I find myself choosing RoF over BoS everytime. It's not that I don't like BoS or that I don't see the obvious improvements that they have made with BoS, It's just that I find RoF som much more fun to fly! Maybe summer maps will help?

The summer maps are really going to do it for me... I know that much.

• Upvote 1

I also had a rather long brake in flying after Il-2 Forgotten battles. Played Warthunder in sim mode and got interested in flying again (and multiplayer flying). Warthunder had to go after I purchased RoF from Steam sale. I played RoF multiplayer quite a lot although I never was very successful in it. Sometimes I scored a kill with Spad, but usually went down in flames. Still it was very enjoyable and the flying felt very realistic.

I was so impressed with RoF that I pre-ordered BoS. I felt much more comfortable and familiar in these ww2 planes so I've been flying BoS mostly. Kind of feeling bad for not having time to fly RoF too.

And about getting bored of snow? What are you talking about. I just love the snow.

This is why I firmly support strong and equal treatments between multiplayer & single player formats as some are not comfortable online or do not have the band width to enjoy online play.

Chief

Well, i'm comfortable online, but the multi player i experienced in BoS so far, just does not really interest me. Maybe in the future, it will become a bit more organized and objective/mission-based. The devs mentioned that they are working on new multiplayer modes. Not sure exactly what they are planning, but that might improve things for me too. 

In RoF, i usually stuck to dogfight mode instead of coop, but for BoS, it just doesn't really do it for me and i think a coop mode would really make things more interesting (i know that you could almost make coop style missions using the dogfight mode, but so far, i've not seen anyone actually attempting that). 

Unfortunately, apart from some excellent user-made missions/campaigns (unfortunately almost exclusively for 109 and 190), the single player in BoS is not that good either. But again, the planned carreer improvements might change things here as well. Time will tell i guess.

In ROF I usally fly some Spad or SE5 and you as you fly your patrol you're alway needed somewhere. To intercept something, defend etc. I also enjoy recon missions with the RE8. Flying over enemy territory in a slow airplane for a long time is really thrilling. Even if you had a flight af one or two hours withou actual combat you feel exhausted and satisfied because of the anticipation of real danger. It feels like a real sortie during wartime. I had lots of contact, short attckes, being attacked without any kills. No furballs. That's wargrounds. No sortie under one hour at least. 

For me it was the other way around when first flying RoF.. felt like I had to jump out of the plane and push it forward myself.. and then have it lose it's wings at a (for me) slow dive.. I've been playing WWII flightsims since.. forever, and RoF was my first WWI flightsim ever.. and I still havn't gotten used to it, mainly since I haven't played it for a long time.

In ROF you have to control your energy more  than in other sims simply because you can't count on engine power. WWII pilots were trained in 225hp Stearmans, Tiger moths etc. underpowered hig drag planes. If you fly them well you fly your wwII overpowered fighter even better. That's what I learned. 

Edited by indiaciki
  • Upvote 2

@ChiefRedCloud: Thank yer for quotin' me!

I guess yer like my avatar also, hell y'all southerners an' rednecks I wish I would live where you live!

Until then I wave "the flag" over here ..and stick to some Aaron Lewis song an' lyrics......"the other one is a rattlesnake, with a simple statement made, ""don't treat on me"" is what it says an I'll take that to my grave!

<SA> y'all! :biggrin::salute:

yours

v.Greiff

I had not played RoF for a while, but I have played it again last week because all this white is becoming really, really annoying. And it was really fun! And not white...

The occasion to realize that the new Nieuport 28's flight model has made it a good fighter, finally... Which is good because the N28 was not so bad, IRL. It was one of the small things I thought RoF was wrong, and it's corrected.

I am going to go back to RoF very often until the release of the new maps, and even after. It's a really very good sim, it is not deserving to be abandoned.

I always lose my ailerons while flying the Nieuport 28 ;) You can land her with rudder only