I/JG27_Nemesis

Is there any better Joystick as the MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 ???

Reason for end of MSFFB was due to patent issues with Immersion Corporation, and resultant lawsuit, Sony had to pay +$130 million and royalties, MS settled out of court for undisclosed amount

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immersion_v._Sony

Also reason for lack of many new FFB Joysticks,

Cheers Dakpilot

Wait more some days that will be possible pre-order Gladiator's through flightsimcontrols.com in Europe :)

Well, Warthog is this that is already know, expensive - the initial price need be added more a rudder pedal set (from 90$ to 500$+), that extension (~80$) for became convenient for WWII planes, and has some issues with "sticktion" and fragility in gimbal (is made in plastic) and grip neck (in hand of careless users, that think they have buy a "tank").

Hi Sokol,

Thanks for the advice. After your comments i did some searching and i find the problems with the warthog quiet alarming for such a product. And it doesn't seems to be the standard forum complaining. 

I did some searching on the Gladiators and i think the pro version with MFG pedals are the way to go. I still wonder about the plus version of the gladiator sticks. Not much info about those. 

Grt M

The Plus version was postponed - now depends on Gladiator (basic) market success, some redesign and seems better evaluation if the market really want a "console"/ "monoblock" (one piece) HOTAS.

I've collected two red trigger FFB2s and one grey trigger now. I want to fit a curved extension and the grip from my FLCS F16 and combine two of the FFB2 so that the force is sufficient. However I wanted to preserve one of the red trigger models as they seem to be more rare and so might fetch a better price if I ever decide to sell it.

Is there any significant internal differences that would make it a bad idea to combine one of the red triggers with the grey trigger? If so, I guess I'll try and buy another grey trigger and then just use two of those and save the red triggers.

Depends on how well ffb is implemented in game. I have switched directly fromT.16000 to FFB2. In RoF I did not notice lose of precision (the stick is shaking in hand now so it's not directly comparable, but ability to control planes stayed the same). In CloD FFB was pretty weak and stick offered to little resistance, so it was harder to make use of its precision. Il-2 I have not tried. In some older games that did not use ffb at all the stick was completely limp and close to useless.

How about the same with 8 extra buttons and spade grip ;) ? Obviously in prototype stage but it works surprisingly well. Just hope ffb motors can handle the extra mass...

That is a quite nice modification. Im just trying to figure out how, and with which material did you attached it to the ffb. Hope you still Read this? Edited by HGraf69

Hi guys,

I wonder if you can help me. 

I recently picked up IL2 BoS on steam and decided to dig up my dad's old joystick. It's a Microsoft Sidewinder FFB2. 

About 50% of my playtime it would seem that the stick is causing the game to CTD and sometimes the game is causing the stick to shake violently (usually after takeoff).

Sometimes it works perfectly and when it does it is amazing. 

Has anyone else had this issue?

It is worth checking that it is plugged into USB 2 

Sometimes USB 3 can give trouble, this worked for me with random stick shaking

Cheers Dakpilot

Sokol 1

Very nice mate, ive long wanted to find someone who could add a KG13 grip to a MSFFB 2 stick.

Did you do it yourself?

Is not mine, see this picture in Plastic Model forum, don't know the author, nor the grip origin.

I start "converting " M.Terlizze (Tail Boon) KG-12A 1:1 kit to be a "joystick!" grip.

Their resign seems sufficient strong (well, we see) take me about a half of hour to hole the grip with 1/8' and after with 1/2' drill.

Awaiting BF-3 tactile switches coming from China (there local bureaucracy turn this in  2+ mounts of wait...).

I have yet to find a better joystick than the Microsoft Force Feedback. It's such a shame they stopped making them.

I assigned the ministick on my X52 throttle to axes

Please explain  I need this aswell  :)

Hi, I currently have a t16000m joystick which I would 10/10 recommend to someone however I am wanting to experiment with force feedback so that once I delve into VR with this sim FF will add that little bit more immersion.    I have always assumed the MSFFB2 as being the best FF joystick out there however I was wondering if any owners could answer a few questions for me?

1- How are the sensors compared the my 16000m, I know they use hall sensors (For pitch and roll but not for yaw) but are they more or less accurate than my current one (I don't really want to take a performance downgrade in terms of accuracy or spiking)

2- are there any other alternatives ?

3- sensible purchase price?

Thanks!  :salute:

• Upvote 1

Well I purchased one on Ebay for £60 and if I love it thats a £60 well spent and If I don't will just sell it on!  Heres hoping its as great as people say it is and a nice upgrade from my tm 16000m

I've just got an MSFFB2.

It came without power cord but I noticed the plug is the same shape as a TV plug.

Can I use any regular TV power cable for the stick? Like the one attached?

post-21895-0-44112000-1514566617_thumb.jpg

I've just got an MSFFB2.

It came without power cord but I noticed the plug is the same shape as a TV plug.

Can I use any regular TV power cable for the stick? Like the one attached?

attachicon.gifPower_Cord.jpg

Pretty sure it's ok, as it's just a cable..

I wonder if the z rotation potentiometer is the same in the Precision Pro 2, 3D Pro, etc, or any of the rest of the Microsoft line are compatible with the FFB2.   Do any of you have any experience with changing parts around on these?

The MSFFB2 is adjusting the 0 force center according the airplane trim. This is the only way of realistic flying. I use NO curves with the MSFFB2. Any center joystick  behaves unrealistic, as it gives force on the elevator in the center position. You can just improve it with curves, but without getting rid of the problem (trimming the plane can´t be realistic, whatever curve you use).

I hope I explained it good enough, if not ask again.

On 10/27/2013 at 5:59 AM, I/JG27_Nemesis said:

It's been quite a while since Microsoft ended the Production of the popular, famous and legenadry Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick.

microsoftjoy1.jpg

It had just enough buttons, good Force Feedback, great ergonomy (for right handers, of course), and quality with high durability...and last but not least the 4th axis for the rudder by twisting the stick.

Unfortunately Microsoft decided to end the production of the Sidewinder Series in 2003.

Till today, I have not encountered ANY better Joystick, that was able to beat this great piece of hardware....neither Saitek, nor Logitech or Thrustmaster.

To all my fellow virtual pilots: Have you encountered any Joystick, which you feel is significantly better than the Sidewinder Force Feedback 2??

P.S.: About the 4th axis: I do have Saitek Rudder Pedals, but found it uncomfortable to use them with my normal chair, so I sticked to using the FF2's fourth axis for controlling the rudder.

post-15249-0-56148700-1382867740_thumb.jpg

My solution was to buy a Gametrix KW-908 JetSeat and since I mounted my joystick on my chair, I get all the force feedback from the pad which is more realistic than only the stick vibrating.

When my MF FFB2 finally gives out I will be getting the VPC MongoosT-50 BE Flightstick

Ditto- I've had a MSSFF2  since 2003 (and nothing has come close in terms of vibrational feedback/immersion) and recently got another off ebay as backup (in case my old one God forbid ever fails) but just got a buttkicker gamer  2 for amazingly immersive vibrational feedback in my seat across all sims/games and also will be receiving the Gametrix KW-908 JetSeat  for even more fidelity this week- I may end up attaching the buttkicker to my rudder pedals and use the jetseat alone on my chair- or assign certain vibrations to certain specific in sim responses between the buttkicker and jetseat using the simshaker software sinc e each will have different, distinctive vibrational patterns for even more fidelity

Edited by theSelf

Does everyone have a big deadzone on the pitch axis with the MSFFB2 ?

I have at least 1 cm on the top of the stick.

Is there anything I can do to improve that?

Thanks.

Perhaps Sokol knows of a solution, but my guess is that the deadzone is coded into the firmware of the stick and you can't modify it. The same applies to the considerably smaller deadzone on the roll axis (you can test it e.g. in DIView).

It's a common firmware-related trick by hardware manufacturers to enforce some deadzone towards the center to eliminate jittering resulting from loose mechanical centering. So far as I know, only custom controllers (like Leo Bodnar's BUX card) are free from such pre-coded deadzones.

My workaround for the MSFFB2 is using 50+ sensitivity, so that leaving the deadzone doesn't result in a drastic and sudden control input.