Sign in to follow this  
Con

Silly start ups

You guys gotta remember that you aren't single-handed spokesmen for the BoS community when writing your posts.

Hey, it works both ways.  

DCS P-51 even with some "what if controls" (don't do nothing practical/necessary) don't require "20 more keys" for start the engine.

There's 14 for the P-51D not counting checks

There's 12 commands in starting the 109 K4, again not counting all the run up checks, which looks the same in that regard as the F and G ones in BoS.

And as far as keys go, there would be more than 12 since many end up being double press commands. Since the commonly used single keys are already assigned.

Edited by SharpeXB

I still think the middle ground is adding, say 5 things that need tobe turned on for engine start

Fuel (if applicable)

Battery

MAG (s)

proper mix

Proper throttle

and it could be done in that simple interface they took out of BOS

You could either map them, or click on them in the interface with a picture of the thing you are doing.  And in the background behind the interface, the corresponding action is accomplished.  Or have "Easy start" (the option we have now) select-able in the DSERVER.

Congrats you have pleased 99% of the people.

This is from the ROF manual.

Why they decided to get rid of this Ill never know, but this is the perfect place to solve this issue in a elegant way.

Customizing your experience to your liking was one click and a few mouse slides away.  Come on Loft and Co, bring this back!

ROF%20interface_zpswelfgkub.png

Edited by [TWB]Hooves_McG

Dont read it all, but for manual start up without clickable cockpit it's to much key combos...

For my personal reference i would be happy when we get a extra button for try a second time the flywheel engine starter, it's annoying when you try sometimes 3 complete startup and shutdon procedure to get running the engine by pressin E.

• Upvote 1

What I really think a great way to do it would have been how you can navigate in RoF. You could bring up a mouse screen to bring up your map and change somethings in the gui. I'd love to leverage that screen for a startup proceedure.

So, do you mean like a clip-board with a check-list on it? You click the boxes, and it starts to draw a check-mark. Then, when it is done, the check mark is done and you can do the next one? Meanwhile, in the background, you can here the engines spring to life and so forth.

So, do you mean like a clip-board with a check-list on it? You click the boxes, and it starts to draw a check-mark. Then, when it is done, the check mark is done and you can do the next one? Meanwhile, in the background, you can here the engines spring to life and so forth.

Way too tedious.

Start the engine be press keys or click on commands is OK - and desirable, but be putting marks on "check list"?  :huh:

Better leave that "magic" E.  :rolleyes:

Exactly this. An elagant, simple way to accomplish startup. The key though is to have the controls freed up the entire time, not as we currently have it, where we are held hostage to the process.

Start the engine be press keys or click on commands is OK - and desirable, but be putting marks on "check list"?  :huh:

Better leave that "magic" E.  :rolleyes:

How is clicking on checklist items different from clicking on commands with pictures? Not being hostile btw, it's a legit question

Let's all keep in mind this is ALL theoretical features lol

I don't think that manual startup would add that much to be honest but I can see why some people would enjoy it so here's a suggestion to use the players view for a sort of "lite" clickable startup like so:

Pressing "E" enables an optional startup mode which places a dot in the center of the screen and a kneeboard pops up (optional) with the startup list.

Then each item has to be located by moving the camera so that the dot is near the control in question, when found a prompt comes up like "Press 'E' to switch magnetos to 'Both On'" or "Hold 'E' to mesh the starter". etc etc All optional of course.

The idea is that you would still have to find the controls but no cursor, just a hot-spot for the camera.

(Or we could make it like surgeon simulator and make the player control a disembodies hand that repeatedly misses the buttons and knocks things over.)

• Upvote 1

I heard that all those things that happen automatically are actual systems running. So being able to do them ourselves would be awesome. I hope they reach that level someday.

+1