[BBQ]brandtryan

Expectations

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, as I put the IL-2 series "on the shelf" after the "Pacific Fighters" release (not because of anything I didn't like -- just moved focus away from flight sims for a time, and when I came back I focused on DCS.)

I keep seeing references to ROF (rise of flight) and CLOD (cliffs over dover?) -- I had heard of Cliffs over Dover, but was never sure if it was part of the IL-2 family, or even produced by the same folks -- and as far as ROF goes -- never had even heard of it (somehow).  Sounds like it is a WWI simulation?  Is this also considered part of the "IL-2" family?  Can ROF still be purchased?  Finally, is everyone expecting this new IL2 (Stalingrad) to be comparable to the DCS P-51D in terms of flight model and engine management, etc.?  Not trying to cause a flame-fest, just don't know what to expect -- I've listened/read the Developer's Blogs and it seems it will be just as "realistic" as the DCS P-51D -- or perhaps just a smidgen below it.

I've already become a founder for a few reasons:

1. I tend to support any combat flight simulation that comes out these days, to encourage and support the genre in general.
  2. I have much respect, and many fond memories of the original IL-2 series (probably had close to 2000 hours in it) and had produced a popular mod (English voice-overs) for it.

Thanks for any replies!

RoF is still available, you can try it out for free with two planes (SPAD XIII and Albaros DVa) - riseofflight.com

BoS engine management will probably be somewhere between the old Il-2 series and DCS, certainly not a button and knob management sim. The FM should be pretty good, the RoF FM is terrific in it's portrayal of flight.

Rise of Flight is free! Download it now, it is a great game and yes, it is WWI. It is not part of IL-2 family but from 777 Studios.

Edit: I was too slow :-)

Edited by Tone71

Thanks Furious -- really something to look forward to then -- and in meantime, I'll check out ROF!  Any advice on which  plane to start with, the SPAD or Albaros?

Rise of Flight is free! Download it now, it is a great game and yes, it is WWI. It is not part of IL-2 family but from 777 Studios.

Edit: I was too slow :-)

No worries Tone -- but please chime in on which plane I should try first!

RoF is being brought up, because the developers who are working on BoS have previously worked on RoF.

RoF is a WW2 flightsim and is actually free-to-play. In that you can play it for free, but are limited to two airplanes and a new english channel map and a few features are missing (like weapon and field mods, some instruments and the like).

http://riseofflight.com/Blogs/default.aspx

RoF doesn't really belong in the IL-2 family. It's just one of the best flightsims avaliable right now.

No worries Tone -- but please chime in on which plane I should try first!

Well, if you are willing to buy additional planes and are looking for some interesting planes, i would recommend the SE5a, Nieuport 17, Albatros D.III for single seaters and the DH4 and F.E. 2b for two-seaters. But there are also some more special planes around, like the Fokker Dr.I, Pfalz D.XII, Sopwith Camel, Sopwith Triplane, Fokker D.VIIF. Those are either very fast or very maneuverable, but can be a bit tricky to fly (excluding the D.VIIF). Or even one of the big multi-seaters.

Edited by Matt

As furious says BoS is halfway between RoF and DCS, so it's sort of like a less ambitious Cliffs of Dover.

Cliffs of Dover is indeed from the same stable as original IL2 but was chopped, now the IL2 legacy is nothing more than a name used for franchising, but Cliffs lives on under the skilful amateur development group Team Fusion.

RoF has a free to play (2 planes) version and is still on the market for licensed versions.

I quite like the Spad but many would say go for the Alby...

Edit: If you're buying, get the Sopwith Triplane, possibly my favourite crate!

Edited by Tone71

No, not even close to DCS P51D in terms of CEM. Devs said no time for that. The flight model however is said to be very close.

a) I had heard of Cliffs over Dover, but was never sure if it was part of the IL-2 family, or even produced by the same folks

b) Is this also considered part of the "IL-2" family?  Can ROF still be purchased?

c) Finally, is everyone expecting this new IL2 (Stalingrad) to be comparable to the DCS P-51D in terms of flight model and engine management, etc.?

ad a) Yes, IL-2: Cliffs of Dover was designed by 1C Maddox as was IL-2: Sturmovik and its successors.

ad b) No, ROF is not part of the IL-2 family.

ad c) Hopefully IL-2: BOS will get a realism similar to DCS. ROF surely got near that level.

Edit: Crosspost with Mac_Messer, he answered c) better than I did.

Edited by 1./JG42_SchwarzerPrinz

I would try the SPAD, it's fast and good in a straight line but loses speed/energy quick in turns. The Alb is slower but can turn a little better. Of course, both are fun and interesting.

Thanks for the replies :)  Noticed I can get "Iron Cross" edition for $39 from amazon.com -- then noticed my local Fry's has the same edition boxed for $29.  Looks like I'll be visiting Fry's this afternoon :)

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, as I put the IL-2 series "on the shelf" after the "Pacific Fighters" release (not because of anything I didn't like -- just moved focus away from flight sims for a time, and when I came back I focused on DCS.)

I keep seeing references to ROF (rise of flight) and CLOD (cliffs over dover?) -- I had heard of Cliffs over Dover, but was never sure if it was part of the IL-2 family, or even produced by the same folks -- and as far as ROF goes -- never had even heard of it (somehow).  Sounds like it is a WWI simulation?  Is this also considered part of the "IL-2" family?  Can ROF still be purchased?  Finally, is everyone expecting this new IL2 (Stalingrad) to be comparable to the DCS P-51D in terms of flight model and engine management, etc.?  Not trying to cause a flame-fest, just don't know what to expect -- I've listened/read the Developer's Blogs and it seems it will be just as "realistic" as the DCS P-51D -- or perhaps just a smidgen below it.

I've already become a founder for a few reasons:

1. I tend to support any combat flight simulation that comes out these days, to encourage and support the genre in general.
  2. I have much respect, and many fond memories of the original IL-2 series (probably had close to 2000 hours in it) and had produced a popular mod (English voice-overs) for it.

Thanks for any replies!

Cliffs of Dover - yes it was/is part of the IL2 family, it was the successor to IL2 Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters, but left bad taste in many users mouths as it was released pretty much broken and remained so for some time. The core of that group was disbanded, and 1C and 777 merged to create the next successor, IL2 Battle of Stalingrad.

Now I will say, Cliffs has come a long with what Team Fusion has done for that sim. I personally am enjoying it very much, and it is very much in depth - in fact I have been learning CEM with it and really like it.

ROF - yes WWI sim by 777 Studios, it has a free to play download, and is well worth the price of admission to check it out. Will give one a sense of the engine/graphics that will be used in BOS. I also am having a lot of fun with it as well. No, not considered part of IL2 , but the same company is developing BOS... It also has a career option that is in beta, and works very well - I believe BOS will have the same type career option as well.

BOS comparable  to DCS? No, and they do not want to be. It will be it's own unique sim with it's own unique features.  Think of a much improved IL2 Forgotten Battles...

Some very good times for us combat flight simmers!

Hi

Both have AFM - Advanced Flight Model, from the same engineer, Andrey Solomykin, so, in terms of flight dynamics it's more similar. in terms of engine management, both are great, but in DCS it's more deep.

In terms of other systems, i guess BoS will be somewhat simplified. but i guess the more "important" systems will be more complex and "less important"  will be simplified.

And, 777 Studios simulators are not clickable cockpit, which is not necessarily means lower fidelity, it's just means, you have to control with joystick\keyboard, and not with mouse.

Thanks for the replies :)  Noticed I can get "Iron Cross" edition for $39 from amazon.com -- then noticed my local Fry's has the same edition boxed for $29.  Looks like I'll be visiting Fry's this afternoon :)

Try ROF, you won't regret! Fantastic WW1 sim! (the best one anyway)

But if you are focusing on DCS, it will take many years before you're done with it (as you surely realised)...still can't believe i missed this "must have" for so long time.