No601_Prangster

Prangster's IL-2 BoS Mission Building Guide

I narrowed it down to the complex trigger not working for me on SP. Am I doing something wrong, or that's how it should be?

Your guide is great Prangster, thanks a lot !

I just tried your first tutorials I think I found a little problem with your three Russian arties: you explain in your guide that both the arties an the searchlight should have an empty "enable" option so the trigger could activate/desactivate them (that's the whole point of this part of the tutorial). But I found that:

1) neither the arties nor the searchlight appear when I test the mission in single mode (and I did start my plane outside the trigger cylinder in order to activate the trigger when I get close).

2) I checked your arties group in the "template_finished" file and you left the arties "enabled" (but not the searchlight) - you might want to update your "template_finished" to correct that btw.

3) when I test your group in a single mission, I see your "enabled" arties but not the searchlight.

Something must be wrong. Is it that single mission does not allow all the complex trigger things ?

EDIT: I apparently got the same problem than "Jade_Monkey"

EDIT2: Is is due to the unchecked "check entities" in the complex trigger, as suggested above by JimTM ? In this case, this should be corrected both in the guide and the template files ...

Edited by AV_2Pattes

Your guide is great Prangster, thanks a lot !

I just tried your first tutorials I think I found a little problem with your three Russian arties: you explain in your guide that both the arties an the searchlight should have an empty "enable" option so the trigger could activate/desactivate them (that's the whole point of this part of the tutorial). But I found that:

1) neither the arties nor the searchlight appear when I test the mission in single mode (and I did start my plane outside the trigger cylinder in order to activate the trigger when I get close).

2) I checked your arties group in the "template_finished" file and you left the arties "enabled" (but not the searchlight) - you might want to update your "template_finished" to correct that btw.

3) when I test your group in a single mission, I see your "enabled" arties but not the searchlight.

Something must be wrong. Is it that single mission does not allow all the complex trigger things ?

EDIT: I apparently got the same problem than "Jade_Monkey"

EDIT2: Is is due to the unchecked "check entities" in the complex trigger, as suggested above by JimTM ? In this case, this should be corrected both in the guide and the template files ...

Hi Pattes,

We are not getting much help here I guess.

Checking the Check vehicles and check entities box in the complex trigger worked for me.

I BELIEVE that for this case, you only need the check vehicles box checked.

Hope that helps!

Yep Jade_Monkey, it was helpful thanks !

I just tested the mission: "check entities" works, "check vehicule" doesn't.

I guess a plane is NOT a vehicule for IL2BOS :biggrin:  

My guess is that it depends completely on the type of event in the complex trigger. You might have to click one or the other.

Prangster prepared the guide for MP co-op style campaigns and some things are not quite the same for SP. The main one I am aware of is that complex triggers are for MP and basic triggers for SP. I guess because there are only a player and AI in SP. Where for MP there are multiple players and AI interacting.

So if using if using the guide for SP just be aware somethings may not be 100% the same.

Thanks AV_2Pattes for pointing out the Check Entities error, the guide has now been updated to version  1.1 and the mission files changed. Use the original links in the first post.

Also I've included some corrections from the Tangmere Pilot's resident Grammar Nazi, VonTom.

Cheers,

Prangster

Edited by No601_Prangster
  • Upvote 2

Prangster prepared the guide for MP co-op style campaigns and some things are not quite the same for SP. The main one I am aware of is that complex triggers are for MP and basic triggers for SP. I guess because there are only a player and AI in SP. Where for MP there are multiple players and AI interacting.

So if using if using the guide for SP just be aware somethings may not be 100% the same.

Thanks AV_2Pattes for pointing out the Check Entities error, the guide has now been updated to version  1.1 and the mission files changed. Use the original links in the first post.

Also I've included some corrections from the Tangmere Pilot's resident Grammar Nazi, VonTom.

Cheers,

Prangster

Thank you both!

Cheers,

Prangster

Good to know that your are updating the guide, thanks ! I'll let you know if I found other minor issues like this one in the next tutotials ...

Btw, I think that your update url to the guide IL-2_BoS_Mission_Building_Guide.pdf, 5MB is not working anymore ...

Regards !

I was only standing in for Swallow.

:biggrin:

von Tom

If swallow can't find a missing 's he gets bored quickly

If swallow can't find a missing 's he gets bored quickly

I'm storing them up Jacko, Soon I'll be ready for the Apostrophe Apocalypse. The end time's upon us....

(And Jacko, old bean, do check your own use of capital letters. Poor show!)

Where is this mission editor?  I do not see it in any game file.  Is it a separate download?  My game is up to date, but I have searched for the ste... file and it not on my computer.  I bought Gold Edition preorder.

Where is this mission editor?  I do not see it in any game file.  Is it a separate download?  My game is up to date, but I have searched for the ste... file and it not on my computer.  I bought Gold Edition preorder.

\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\bin\editor\ folder.

Please Help !?  I set out to learn the mission editor with this guide, downloaded and properly installed the tutorial mission, and now my mission editor will not launch.  I get a series of error notifications:  "D3D Error    m_pd3d Device-.Reset(&m_d3dpp)  E_INVALIDARG" , followed by "can not create m_prt  ScreenNormal color surface",  "Can not create m_prt ScredDepth color surface",  and "can not create m_psurf ScreenDepth depth surface".  I tried deleting the files from the Data/Multiplayer/Dogfight folder, but no luck.  then I tried a new download and unzipped them there again, same result, those error messages.  I am using Windows 10,  Any ideas on what went wrong and how I can get a functioning Mission Editor back?

Hello Jhay753,

in your folder \IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\bin\editor, edit the file ResetEditorSettings.cmd (with NotePad eg.) so it reads reg delete "HKCU\Software\1CGS" /f (instead of 1SGS) then save it.

Now execute that file (double clicking on it should be enough but one moght need to run it as administrator depending on UAC settings and game's location).

That could fix your issue, it did when that happened to me anyway.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/16095-d3d-error-starting-mission-editor/

Edited by -LaFrench-LoupVert
  • Upvote 1

LaFrench-LoupVert,,,   Merci beaucoup!   I wish my fading memory of French could carry me further,... but your solution worked like a charm!

Urgent Help needed.  Does anyone know or remember what Hot Key(s) to press to copy an object along with any connections it might have?  Object A is connected to Object B with target line, and I want to copy Object B without lowing the connection, just have the program create a duplicate....as is pressing "Control", just rotates the object for me.

Are you asking if you can copy object B to create object C and end up with a new target link from C to B? The only object copy I know of is the Windows standard CTRL-C (copy) and CNTL-V (paste), but that doesn't copy the original links.

Edited by JimTM

Are you asking if you can copy object B to create object C and end up with a new target link from C to B? The only object copy I know of is the Windows standard CTRL-C (copy) and CNTL-V (paste), but that doesn't copy the original links.

Yes, exactly.  I know I saw that functionality a couple months ago somehwhere....and haven't had a need for it until now.

Yes, exactly.  I know I saw that functionality a couple months ago somehwhere....and haven't had a need for it until now.

Are you referring to adding waypoints? That copies the object links, etc.

Otherwise, as far as I know, it's just copy and paste and then redo them, I think.

Of course, you could save the whole lot as a group, which would preserve the links internal to that group. That might make editing it a bit easier? It's probably straightforward to edit the text file, if you've got good and clear labels for your objects (although I've never even tried this). 

[by the way, good labels also make it much easier and more productive to use the object list on the left hand side to make your links. It's faster than trying to scroll around the map, natch.]

Edited by No601_Swallow
  • Upvote 1

Are you referring to adding waypoints? That copies the object links, etc.

Otherwise, as far as I know, it's just copy and paste and then redo them, I think.

Of course, you could save the whole lot as a group, which would preserve the links internal to that group. That might make editing it a bit easier? It's probably straightforward to edit the text file, if you've got good and clear labels for your objects (although I've never even tried this).

[by the way, good labels also make it much easier and more productive to use the object list on the left hand side to make your links. It's faster than trying to scroll around the map, natch.]

Many Thanks for the tip about linking through the side list, I'll give that a go and see how easy it is. If I find any info about what I originally asked I'll post it back here as well.

roaming_gnome,

The last few posts re. copying may be valuable to folks as a stand-alone thread.

Cheers!

By the way, good labels also make it much easier and more productive to use the object list on the left hand side to make your links. It's faster than trying to scroll around the map,

I totally stumbled across this a little while ago by accident.

This makes it possible to link from inside one group to another!! Those objects don't "appear" in the same "layer" and are thus impossible to link "graphically" (even if you have icons on in groups, you can only select and link the ones in the current group your are in. This includes the base layer.

otherwise you are un-grouping and re-grouping and your brain gets all confuzzled. 

Edited by Menacing_Ferrets

Hello, I am a member of Finnish Virtuapilots. I started to translate Your Mission Building Guide into Finnish. First of all to learn to build missions by my self. And to help our members to build missions, too. Early this Saturday morning I realised that I have to have Your permission before I am allowed to "publish" it in our website.

Finnish Virtualpilots have now a test server in BOS. We are working hard to make it a good one for all virtualpilots whoever loves to fly.

Cheers Kippari

In this part:in the ''TANGMERE PILOTS IL-2 BOS MISSION BUIDING GUIDE on page 65 you say:

''Next you’ll use a Check Zone to active some AAA and deactivate them when the player moves out of the area. Add an Artillery/52k, Name it Soviet AAA leader and Create Linked Entity. In Advanced properties untick Enabled change the Country to Germany. Copy and paste it twice and Name them Soviet AAA.''

Once the vehicles are together in your fourth Tutorial,4 minutes 14 seconds into the video you say you link the vehicles and you click something but I do not know what.

I am to scared to click on things incase  I wreck something in the mission.  :biggrin:

Thank-you in advance.

In the video, Prangster is creating a formation of three vehicles and the rightmost one is the formation leader. So, he clicks on the middle vehicle, presses Shift+T (cursor changes to a "T"), and then clicks on the rightmost vehicle to target link the middle vehicle to the rightmost one. He then target links the leftmost vehicle to the rightmost one. The links establish which vehicles follow the leader.

Edited by JimTM

In the video, Prangster is creating a formation of three vehicles and the rightmost one is the formation leader. So, he clicks on the middle vehicle, presses Shift+T (cursor changes to a "T"), and then clicks on the rightmost vehicle to target link the middle vehicle to the rightmost one. He then target links the leftmost vehicle to the rightmost one. The links establish which vehicles follow the leader.

Thanks for the answer that's what I needed. :salute:

I totally stumbled across this a little while ago by accident.

This makes it possible to link from inside one group to another!! Those objects don't "appear" in the same "layer" and are thus impossible to link "graphically" (even if you have icons on in groups, you can only select and link the ones in the current group your are in. This includes the base layer.

otherwise you are un-grouping and re-grouping and your brain gets all confuzzled.

I noticed it is possible now, just activate a group, select inside it, press shift t or o, reset active group, now select a timer or other trigger outside.

I have been trying to make an airstarted yak fly to a waypoint but it always immediately starts to do a circle at the spot. Any ideas? I tried the move command but that doesn't work. (editor gets stuck)

Any help appreciated! :salute:

I have been trying to make an airstarted yak fly to a waypoint but it always immediately starts to do a circle at the spot. Any ideas? I tried the move command but that doesn't work. (editor gets stuck)

Any help appreciated! :salute:

Try connect MCU_Waypoint-> AI plane via object link (set area and speed)

Edited by =LG=Kathon

Also, make the waypoint area about 200m (planes have a hard time finding small areas) and make sure to set the appropriate altitude (in meters) in the waypoint position property "Y".

Edited by JimTM

Thanks guys! I found the error, something did not work correctly with "MCU Translator: Mission begin" when it was connected to the waypoint, it finally worked once I did a complete resetup.

:)