Developer Diary, Part 38

To the Development Team Thank You for the info. My wife Ann is on high alert to limit my Tues and Wednesday night schedule after work! We watch our 15 month old grandson, Carter every Thursday night so if the Alpha/beta is still open on Thursday evenings,  Carter will be the youngest wingman to play IL-2 BOS. I can hear him now, Fly Grandpa fly! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Let's roll! ;)

BTW our family is thrilled that our oldest daughter, a Captain in the USAF and a doctor, made it back safe and sound from her deployment to Afghanistan. We met her at BWI and got her home to her husband and our 2 1/2 yr old grandson in San Antonio later that night. Carter was part of the group welcoming back his aunt

post-1212-0-74903300-1382738751_thumb.jpg

Edited by skline00
  • Upvote 3

S! all...

Very good idea in my opinion. I once read something a long time ago,( sorry can not give credit here), That," a game can be late only once, but a bad game is a bad game for all time". Thanx for taking the time to think this project through and making this game the best you can........V..........

BTW our family is thrilled that our oldest daughter, a Captain in the USAF and a doctor, made it back safe and sound from her deployment to Afghanistan. We met her at BWI and got her home to her husband and our 2 1/2 yr old grandson in San Antonio later that night. Carter was part of the group welcoming back his aunt

That is awesome, thanks for sharing!

To all:

There were some unhelpful and unnecessary posts made in this thread. We didn't have time nor the people to address everything at the time, but rest assured, we'll be going through carefully to get everything.

It is fine to express your displeasure if the news doesn't suit you. Do so calmly, civilly, and once. There's no need to repeat the same complaint. Of course people new to the thread may post something that has been said earlier, though they would do well to read the thread first.

The Devs have made the decision to initially open up early access for three days a week. This has disappointed some but it was done to ensure that ultimately the final experience will be smoother and better.

You will need to log on to the server but you do not need to play multiplayer.

You have the right to express your opinion and to comment on others' posts, but you also have the RESPONSIBILITY to ensure your comments are contributing to the discussion and atmosphere of the forum.

• Upvote 2

Nice video. It looks pretty natural for a game.

I hope you keep on posting demonstration friday updates, so non-founders can see what`s new. At the same time, some of the talented founders could make promotional material for BoS as they did for CloD and RoF. Maybe if people keep spreading the word we could end up with a large install base at the very release day in 2014.

I'm a bit confused:

Аnd of course results of the poll about the unique skin for Bf 109 F-4. The number 1 candidate (with the Ace of diamonds) won. Special wallpapers and in-game screenshots will be published on the forum later (possibly today) - we worked hard on this one.

Looking at the poll that's still up it still shows #2 as the winner... :huh:

I'm a bit confused:

Looking at the poll that's still up it still shows #2 as the winner... :huh:

bare in mind the results come from both the english forum and the russian forum combined. 

We are consistent, as a community we sure can have a mass knee jerk reaction to almost anything. I wasn't expecting the limited game play announcement either but after thinking about it a little it makes some sense. Play some, then interact with other players and the developers to offer suggestions and bug reports. As was said the limited play time is only short term. Sounds like a road map to improving BoS for final release.

I cannot believe the attention to detail concerning the sound of the motor, the wind rushing by and the subtle little creaks and airframe moans. This to me is a huge factor in immersion. Thank you for taking the time to develop it right. I know there will be bugs but that's what we Alpha Testers are here to make reports.

Speaking of bug reports. Can you make a standardized format of how you would like to see them so the forum isn't cluttered with just random hate posts?

Edited by Erg./JG54_SPEKTRE

I was there every step of the way ... from announcement, though all the updates and the ultimate painful release of the DOA CLoD.  I agree 100 percent with Jason when he says that the CFS genre doesn't need another stake driven though it's heart with a half - baked release.  Take your time, do it your way and make BOS everything CLoD was supposed to be.  Honestly, the waiting and anticipation are half the fun.

I think it is unfair to mention CloD in this context. It is still a fine piece of software. We could easily do without bashing it even more, since it has active playing and developing public.

One more reason why 1CGS needs to have a proffesional spokesman here.

Edited by Mac_Messer
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the update.  The IL-2 looks great by the way.  Very impressed with the nice detail and realistic look to the rear gunner's position.

As far as the 'limited access' issue goes, frankly, I really couldn't care less.  I had two reasons for signing-on early with this project.  Firstly, I want to be as supportive as possible.  That's a big deal for me.  I really want this project to succeed.  Secondly, I want early access to the FW 190.  Not necessarily at the early beta stage but certainly as soon as is practicable.  Everything else, IMO, is just icing on the cake.   So, keep us as informed as you can and just do what works best for the project. 

cheers

Edited by Wulf

Oh well that or month-two slip was expected - no offence devs it's just common in this genre.

We are consistent, as a community we sure can have a mass knee jerk reaction to almost anything. I wasn't expecting the limited game play announcement either but after thinking about it a little it makes some sense. Play some, then interact with other players and the developers to offer suggestions and bug reports. As was said the limited play time is only short term. Sounds like a road map to improving BoS for final release.

As someone who worked in the industry lately let me describe to you how it works these days. They're most likely simply off the schedule. If you give people 72 hours to "test" majority of them will just rush to play as much as they can without slowly taking their time and examinating content. It makes sense but not in the exact same way you think - also you took the bait :)

Kind of reminds me of how ArenaNet was "testing" GW2 before release - it had no testing value whatsoever but hey, people paid for it so it had to be done. Oh well I guess I will have to wait to winter (this has it's own sense of humour too - autumn "early access" will commence in the end of the autumn... this makes me kind of worried if "winter" edition won't occur 3 days before spring...) or release since 3 days in the middle of the week turns my "pre-order with awesome early access and bonus planes" to "pre-order for bonus planes, hopefuly 10$ cheaper than they will cost after release". On the other hand I can't say I haven't see that comming - at the end of the day I just wish that it live up to it's hype, even if it won't be finished on release. Golden age of  WWII flight sims is about to begin.

Edited by Marrond

bare in mind the results come from both the english forum and the russian forum combined. 

Duh! Of course, thanks for the reminder... yes, I need a lot more sleep! :)

Geez... talk about needing more sleep, I forgot to watch the video! Looking very nice indeed!! Can't wait to try this baby out. Keep up the good work team, she's really coming along nicely.

Edited by Avatar13

Very nice video, hope to see the IL2 in the next live stream.

And thanks Devs for all the clarifications about the early access, the weekly schedule 'episodes' is a good way to keep the interest of the early buyers.

Now that's good news! I was already getting sad that my so-much-wanted skin wasn't picked up - very nice surprise indeed  ;)

Edited by Marrond

wow. just wow. I certainly haven't seen this coming.

never saw anything like this in none of the betas I've participated, or run. and this is supposed to be a 90$ premium paid beta.. and also never seen a so happy crowd of premium customers cheerfully applauding the unneeded limitation of their belongings.

early autumn access first transformed into autumn early access and now again into autumn very limited early access.

777, please give me pertinent and mature reasons why, in exchange for a very high premium preorder cost and early autumn access, can't we get:

1) a 24/7 beta server (monitored by you during your tue-thu convenient interval only)

2) a beta server with automatic usage data gathering (so it can gather data anytime the server is populated, store it then make it availabe to the devs for study at their convenient time)

3) a beta sever with automatic restart capability (even through a 2nd monitoring comp) allowing it to recover from crashes without dev input

4) a 24/7 discussion forum and bug traker (set up on a different machine than the server, allowing them to run simultaneously)

5) a little bit of respect for our working days and free time (in exchange for our premium preorder cash)

also, if this tue-thu autumn early limited access is definitive for more than a week period, I would like to inform you I want to cancel my premium pre-order and I would like to receive direction from you regarding the needed necessary steps.

with consideration,

dan antonescu

• Upvote 2

never saw anything like this in none of the betas I've participated, or run. and this is supposed to be a 90$ premium paid beta.. and also never seen a so happy crowd of premium customers cheerfully applauding the unneeded limitation of their belongings.

Now you lie. If you've participated in any beta you would exactly know that there would be people like this. They're everywhere. 

You shouldn't expect serious answers to those questions - besides you already know them, you just want to hear it from them. Also your attitude is a reason why every official response in the universe goes through PR guys (I had doubtful opportunity to work next to guys from PR sector... they're like many tiny Gandalfs screaming "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" and they will allways turn "I just wanted to eat cookie" into a love story or something similary useless)

Edited by Marrond

I think it is unfair to mention CloD in this context. It is still a fine piece of software. We could easily do without bashing it even more, since it has active playing and developing public.

I would second that, especially in it's current form with what TF has done. There is plenty of room for all combat sims we can get, especially WWII.

• 1CGS

I am the professional spokesman here and your word games are tired MM. I can say whatever I want about CLOD and the facts are the facts. Whatever you think the situation is now, has zero bearing on what I stated.

Jason 

• Upvote 4

As someone who worked in the industry lately let me describe to you how it works these days. They're most likely simply off the schedule. If you give people 72 hours to "test" majority of them will just rush to play as much as they can without slowly taking their time and examinating content. It makes sense but not in the exact same way you think - also you took the bait :)

Do tell? Please what bait did I take? There are so many people in these threads who claim to be insiders, it might help if you'd offer up your knowledge to the rest of us. 

I would like to inform you I want to cancel my premium pre-order and I would like to receive direction from you regarding the needed necessary steps.

with consideration,

dan antonescu

Apologies!!

I think there are many people crazy here!!!

"When will I get what I paid for?

• The game will be released in spring 2014
  • Early access period starts in autumn 2013 - for owners of Premium edition, and in winter - for owners of Standard.
  • All details about the early access will be announced several days prior to the start of early access"

• If you do not read the forums is not the fault of the developers,   that's your own fault!   ;)
My apologies but

I tell the truth !!
Edited by Mustang

You probably can.

Indeed. But it's a shame that the people who developed it can't say anything about it, whilst Mr Williams can say 'whatever I want', don't you agree?

Edited by Dutch

Indeed. But it's a shame that the people who developed it can't say anything about it, whilst Mr Williams can say 'whatever I want', don't you agree?

No. I don't.

Sounds like a decent roll out, Ill admit I was hoping to get at least teh 2 planes right off the bat to start getting some dog fighting going but, Id rather not have insane issues at release either.,  so..  Im happy  :)

Edited by Hooves

Unbelievable to read some posts here.

Sounds like someone took off the most beloved toy of a kid, that never had the toy in his hands.

Those guys are doin their job not for hobby but for proffession, so just trust the devs ,it is the better way to enjoy the game in few pieces a week than all at once.

Canceling ones pre order of the premium account sounds also somewhat childish, and i guess it is more a sort of shot from the hip to express ones protest. However my intentio to go premium was to support thr development of the game.Not to get the very first full access.

I am interested if there wil be a kind of ticket system to report bugs?

Bohemia Interactive did a great example with their dev branch in ArmA3.

So can we expect sth similar, or are the devs taken bugs and isues mainly via forums or data collection?

By a proffesional ticket system, bug reports would probably be created in a correct mask to seperate those with high priority to low, or new and alreay reported etc.

Edited by 1./JG42Nephris