BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 38

out of curiosity, where was that condition stated during the purchase process?

It wasn't. Early access wasn't described, since the developpers at that time haven't defined the content and conditions of this early access. It  was defined today for the first time.

But in any case, it was many times stated on this forum, by many peoples including me that early access had nothing to do with full access to full game, and that everybody able to think a bit would be able to understand it. When you don't know something, either you ask, or you wait for the information to be given, but you don't accuse people to lie when the information is given.

Cmon guys,

They've stated quite clearly this is the beginning phase.

I'm quite sure that as soon as the first stress tests are over they will extend the time frame to 24/7.

No doubt about it.

You are not the only one allowed to comment and post in this forum, you know?

Not really what he said, but more what one comments and how.

Interpret to fit I guess?

What I don't understand here is people being disapointed without understanding that the process will be evolutive, including the access period... it's clearly in the news.

We probably should have repeat even more FlatSpinMan signature: "Early access is for a BETA version. It'll be 30-35% complete! Do not expect the full game!".. and add "do not expect full access at early accesss start!".

• Upvote 1

It wasn't. Early access wasn't described, since the developpers at that time haven't defined the content and conditions of this early access. It  was defined today for the first time.

But in any case, it was many times stated on this forum, by many peoples including me that early access had nothing to do with full access to full game, and that everybody able to think a bit would be able to understand it. When you don't know something, either you ask, or you wait for the information to be given, but you don't accuse people to lie when the information is given.

I've already replied to you a little bit back.

Cmon guys,

They've stated quite clearly this is the beginning phase.

I'm quite sure that as soon as the first stress tests are over they will extend the time frame to 24/7.

No doubt about it.

If only such reassurance was given by the developers.

First we get 72 h I play next week extended and so on and so forth.

It's a test period. Damn people. Aren't u grown up? So you guys shouldn't had bought it if you knew about this? comon. I'll buy a second copy and donate when I get my pay check.

Early access is just a bonus.

It's like a steam forum in here I'm actually surprised. I Always figured siming ppl to be levelheaded. But hey you can always learn something new eh? ;)

Edited by Otyg
  • Upvote 1

No, I think the biggest upset is the midweek decision, not the limit in general.

I have tried to explain that. Did you read it?

Come on guys, it's still going to be a early beta (or late alpha). I don't think we all paid mainly to enjoy of the early access (a limited or full one). Personally I've pre-ordered this project to support this team. To prove, by the tag, that I'm one of the guys who trusted the devs and probably without the help of many other like me the project could never being completed.I see the early access realistically as a BONUS.

Totally agree with you Manu...

the biggest upset is the midweek decision.

+1 

Early access is just a bonus.

It's what I paid for. It is featured very prominently under the version information, actually on top.

R7 is a bonus, Shvak rear gunner is a bonus, skins are a bonus.

Beta access is a selling point, and an important one.

• Upvote 1

... Damn people. Aren't u grown up?..

Thank you we are, with kids and full time job we might do things you have no idea about in mid week.

• Upvote 1

:scratch_one-s_head: Yeesh... looks like a lot of people didn't have their eyes wide open and their brain engaged prior to signing up.

How can it be difficult to understand limitations? Ones that are temporary and deemed necessary? Come on guys- it's ALPHA, not Beta we are talking about. That's a huge difference and means that there are many, many restrictions, developer requests for certain kinds of "play" so that the results can be refined, etc., iteration after iteration. We are helping to build the product here, hence all the "perks" we received from 777.

Maybe I just have more patience than some, but it wasn't a shock at all for me.

I looked at it as an rare opportunity to help improve a flight sim and understood that it would come on a "two-way street" with 777.

A quote from Zak:

"We invite you to become a participant in the development of BOS by placing a Pre-Order. By doing this, you will be the first to get access to the product and help us to make it even better.The combat flight-sim genre now needs your attention; modest budgets do not allow the realization of everything virtual pilots dream about at once. But together we can truly revolutionize the genre and bring back a true legend to the sky!"

I don't see any misleading going on at all. All I see are people with unreasonable expectations.

Edited by Grifter

I have tried to explain that. Did you read it?

Not your job to explain it, and no I may have missed it because this place is filling up fast and some moderating is even faster.

Looks certain to be online only - though that may just mean 'connected to the server' like in RoF, not necessarily multiplayer. That's how I read it. If so, you could play single missions etc to your heart's content.

I agree about the 72 hour access. It does seem the likely option.

Yes it would be good to know - multiplayer only, or online access only.

And I must join my voice to the list of those who are a little disappointed - early access sounded great. 72 hours in a row, per week, not so much.

What I don't understand here is people being disapointed without understanding that the process will be evolutive, including the access period... it's clearly in the news.

I don't think that is quite fair either - of course there are going to be founders that are disappointed - ones who will not be able to utilize this early access time limit to mid week. We are all very excited about this upcoming sim, by what we have seen and read here - and I am sure we were all itching to get our hands on it , in whatever form it is in initially - and at least in the first days some of us will not be able to.

But either side of this really, should only express their sentiments in a calm respectful manner. Nothing wrong with the devs seeing how many might be affected/disappointed by this...

Thank you we are, with kids and full time job we might do things you have no idea about in mid week.

Temporarily  :biggrin:

If the access must be limited to 72 hours per week would it at least be possible to take a poll of all those eligible for early access to determine which 72 hour period would allow the greatest participation?  It looks like moving it to cover the weekend would allow the most pilots to fly but a poll would give us a better picture.  The more pilots that can fly in those 72 hours, the more data the developers would have to work with.

• Upvote 2

Not your job to explain it, and no I may have missed it because this place is filling up fast and some moderating is even faster.

Don't uncover too early LOL

Guys,

Online does not necessarily mean just MP. There will surely be a mix of online connection being required and some weeks we will stress MP testing.

Jason

• Upvote 1

If the access must be limited to 72 hours per week would it at least be possible to take a poll of all those eligible for early access to determine which 72 hour period would allow the greatest participation?  It looks like moving it to cover the weekend would allow the most pilots to fly but a poll would give us a better picture.  The more pilots that can fly in those 72 hours, the more data the developers would have to work with.

+1.000.000

• Upvote 1

Nothing wrong with the devs seeing how many might be affected/disappointed by this...

Absolutly, nothing wrong with this.

But I can also say I have hard time to understand excessive disapointment about early access condition to early version, conditions which will be limited in time (as was clearly explained in the news)

First we get 72 h I play next week extended and so on and so forth.

It's a test period. Damn people. Aren't u grown up?

Damn we have to be grown up to play? That's me out!

I'm frustrated like many today reading about the limited access.... how does the old saying go?.... never assume anything... it makes an ASS out of U and ME

Hey ho...I'm mostly an offline player, but plenty of other great games I can play while waiting and I'm still looking forward to BoS

I'm glad so many are getting angry - it shows they really care and really want BoS....

Don't forget Devs - the customer is ALWAYS right !

Have a good weekend all

Simon

• Upvote 1

But I can also say I have hard time to understand excessive disapointment about early access condition to early version, conditions which will be limited in time (as was clearly explained in the news)

Could it be because you have all the hours you feel you need available to you during the week?

Absolutly, nothing wrong with this.

With all due respect it means that for some the early access will be later than they expected and can afford time to and were not informed it was the case until now.

lol i can see many kids from the banana forum around ,Grow up guys.

Nice job team,looks awesome !

Could it be because you have all the hours you feel you need available to you during the week?

You're assuming, and you're assuming wrongly. I will probably have hard time to find time te play the game during the early access. But I never fantasmed early access would be without restrictions.

As far as "Grow up", it goes like this, this little info about limited release should have been clear from step one. This is wild. As usual attack away, it makes me no diff. Not sure who that who statement was towards but I will say that about it.

And again, this should have been very clear before they even thought about taking money.

"bait and switch"

Edited by Stlkrash

Aren't u grown up?

Unfortunately, i am. That's why i have to work atleast from monday to friday to have time and money avaliable to have fun on the weekend.

Before growing up, i had way too much freetime during the week and was too busy on weekends spending time and money which i did not earn from my own work.

That's the dilemma. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Nice to hear Then how can this be the end if the world?

I also have kids, a damn demanding wife and guess what, I Almost always work mid week.

It's just a alpha. I'm gladly surprised if it's even close to playable. But I guess there will be a lot of new topics about the broken game come 4 weeks

Each to his own I guess. So carry on. I'm out.

Edited by Otyg

Must be a generational thing. We old guys were in the young guys seats years ago, waiting on things like pacific fighters to hit etc, LOL.  At least these younger guys here have CLASS, and play real sims and not Battle Barbie right.

Good on you younger lot.

Guys,

First, please knock off the personal insults.

Second, to those that understand our approach to development we appreciate it. To those that are not happy we will need to restrict access some until we are able to support 24/7 access all I can say is please be patient and be aware that this is for everyone's benefit. Why you ask? Because...

1. This genre can't afford another CLOD disaster.

2. 1C doesn't want another CLOD disaster.

3. 777 has never had a CLOD disaster and doesn't want to start. Managing ROF development was hard enough.

4. This genre needs new blood and new products that are not 7 years between releases.

So, what you get is a calculated, closely managed early access program that will increase the access over time as important features and support systems are made ready and proven to work. All the while our customers can play, compare notes, alert us to bugs they experienced when they played.

This is the only way we can accomplish the four points above responsibly. You guys should be happy we take this process so seriously and even bothered with an early-access program of any sort. This whole project was a big risk for us either way. We don't take the responsibility lightly.

Our experience and successes and set-backs with ROF have given us good insight in how to manage this. Please trust we are doing what we think is best for all involved. The goal being everyone gets their money's worth in the end. 

Jason

• Upvote 13

Nice to hear Then how can this be the end if the world?

I also have kids, a damn demanding wife and guess what, I Almost always work mid week.

It's just a alpha. I'm gladly surprised if it's even close to playable. But I guess there will be a lot of new topics about the broken game come 4 weeks

Each to his own I guess. So carry on. I'm out.

It's a forum about a game. When people post here their primary interest is the game.

Obviously it's not a case of life or death, but coming to a game forum and suggesting that people should do something else than care a lot about it makes no sense.

Where did you post it was going to be 3 days midweek?....

Wish you couldn've told me earlier.

Thanks for the update, that IL2 and gunner look fantastic.

Now the news...

Of course some people are going to be upset at the restricted access, its not ideal, ideal would of been 24/7 access to the the full game from the 12th of November this year until the sims release in Q2 2014, that's when the sim we have paid for is released, not before.

But this is testing a alpha, helping the devs make the sim the best it can be when its released, we all knew that when we paid for early access.

The devs have their reasons for doing it this way, i trust them enough to understand it and get on with it and be the best help i can be through this testing period, even if im a little disappointed too at the amount of time i will be able to play, and i don't have a problem with people expressing their disappointment, just stop with the 'we have been lied to' stuff.

Do you think the devs want it to be this way? of course they would want us to have 24/7 access to the sim, but the content is not ready, they are still making the sim and we are helping them as founders.

So try to be a little more understanding of what is going on and where we are in the development process, access will improve, the sim will improve and we will have helped all the way.

Ahh, we're getting into classical US litigation language here I see...

objects-in-mirror-are-closer.jpg

- I wonder how many disclaimers they need to put in the BoS website and box art before Americans feel "safe" to buy the product?...

Guys,

Please trust we are doing what we think is best for all involved.

Some fair points and I personally don't question your intentions. But trust is earned, and clearly, imposing new and very restrictive conditions on 'early access' after not mentioning them while you were selling the preorder, just doesn't help.

I have very realistic expectations about what a preorder alpha product would look like. I didn't expect you to tell me my early access would be on such limited terms. Tues to Thurs is totally useless to me, so it equates to no access, rather than early access.

I'm not enraged. It's disappointing, is all.

Would I prefer to have access 24/7 right from the start? Yes, obviously.

Do I think that the developers would do it this way without good reason? No - why the heck should they? I'm prepared to take their word for it when they say that they see this as the quickest/best way to get a stable working project up and running - which is the objective after all.