BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 38

Greeting Friends!

Starting today and until D-day itself, our Developer Blog will be about the up-coming early access. There have been a lot of questions and one blog note will surely not be enough for us to inform you properly. We'll try to cover everything in time. Let's consider this post as a prologue.

The very idea of early access came to our minds when we realized that the game could be played in part before its initial release and some would find this exiting. The community has been growing since we announced development, with more and more users gathering on our forums and discussing the news. Later the Friday dev blog update became a good tradition. Both development and forum discussions melted into a single informational substance with no real direction. So we started making our weekly updates interesting, attractive and giving something for you to sink your teeth into, while waiting during this long period of the project to conclude. The waiting and conjecturing sort of became a game itself, but that is about to end.

We believe our approach precisely depicts the process of game development in today’s market: be open, communicate and provide regular news updates. We already have all of this and it will stay this way until development is complete. Early access is going to be kind of a minor game release, something that we will start next, a brand new chapter of the project's story. Personally, I as the Chief Producer am very concerned about how you're going to perceive the current result of our work. Every creative process always lacks time, and you know how it can work: please give us one more day, one more week or one more month and we'll add this, remove that, repair it, re-paint it or replace it and it will be much better! This type of merry-go-round is in the past, at least when speaking of our team. In the IL2:BOS project you are witnesses and participants of the entire process, which I like to compare to a TV show.

This comparison is not accidental; it’s actually a lot like a TV show. Every week (possibly a bit more or less from time to time) we'll be presenting you a new "episode". Every new episode will be more intense and dramatic than the previous one, much like the conventions of the genre itself. It was decided that we'll begin with 3 days a week of early access for you – typically from Tuesday through Thursday. They days available to fly may change or be adjusted, but for now this is what we will start with. Such a period is the most convenient for development needs, and we hope that you realize that while you play it we keep programming, drawing, planning and creating the game. Friday we'll remain as the day for weekly developer diary in which we'll be telling you the results of the past session and announce what is coming next. Weekends are for you to discuss your IL2:BOS experiences and share your impressions and thoughts. We will do our best to keep you entertained though this period. When the time is right you will be granted unlimited access to the game with only relatively short server shutdowns that are necessary for regular client updates. But this is still in the future, and we still have much to create. We believe in a controlled, responsible roll out of the early access program. We do not want a repeat of the American Obamacare website disaster. LOL. We want a smooth transition with a steady ramping up of activities with checks and balances we can control to minimize technical and other unforeseen problems.

Current game client size is approximately 2GB in size. This is not a big amount of data and now we're working on a convenient mechanism that would download the game for you and keep it up-to-date easily. We’ll probably let you download and pre-install the game prior to the launch of early access. Your il2sturmovik.com login and password will be used to sign in to the game. At the beginning (first 2-3 months) only online play will be available - you will be temporarily connected to our server so we could gather all valuable technical data about the game's performance. Off-line login will become available later. It’s important to remember that lots of in-game content and features will be added bit by bit and every episode will bring you something new and exciting.

You've asked us about an NDA. There will be none. But we are very concerned about players that may intentionally discover incomplete and unpleasant details (which are normal for a game at that early stage) and not feel the need to exercise some discretion. These details may be interpreted in a negative way and used to give potential customers an impression that the game is not good. This is the price of unlimited worldwide multilingual online freedom and even restrictions wouldn't be the cure here. That's why we'll publish a disclaimer for you and some brief community guidelines that will hopefully regulate the messages about the game that you send on the web. Why we don't try to strictly control this flow of information is because we believe that our community is united in wanting this product to be a success and it is full of considerate, amenable, educated and patient people. Is our trust in humanity and the IL2:BOS community in particular just and worthwhile - we'll see. The entire team personally asks you to be creative and use the opportunities of early access for good and to spread the gospel of BOS. Such an example would be making training and instructional videos for future virtual pilots. Not only would we be very grateful, but so would your future wing-mates.

A very complicated new period of development is coming, but it will surely be interesting. As for us - in creating it, and for you - in participating in this "TV show" called IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad.

Аnd of course results of the poll about the unique skin for Bf 109 F-4. The number 1 candidate (with the Ace of diamonds) won. Special wallpapers and in-game screenshots will be published on the forum later (possibly today) - we worked hard on this one.

Full news

You can ask new questions in this thread

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

Well, this is a team that certainly doesn't shy away from making controversial calls.

It'll be fun to play all together in those days, but I really hope that timezones are covered. I imagine they will be, though.

second!

ouch, no! third *lol*

anyway, nice video, really can't wait for things to start now.

Edited by J4Scriszeri

Awesome… please please please model the rear gunner like IL-2 and not ROS. And thanks for firing weapons

Looking good.

Early access will not do much for me ( Tues-Thurs), as I travel for a living during the week which only leaves me the weekends. That is ok though, as I mainly pre-ordered Premium to support the sim and would not have time to provide much in the way of feedback anyway. At least I will be able to read about others experiences on the weekends, and I look forward to that.

• Upvote 1

Excellent news!!

About the NDA:

So this means we (I) will be able to stream IL2 BoS on twitch as soon as I get my  download? This is a great way for me to show the rest of our squadron who hasn't pre-bought IL2 what they are missing out on!

Edited by F19_Klunk

but I really hope that timezones are covered

It says from Tuesday through Thursday so I guess that, if I understand correctly, the access will simply be continuously possible during those 72 hours... no?

Edited by Picchio

Very interesting to read about the plans for BOS for the near future, starting with online playing days and such.

Regarding instructional & training vids, I am sure that fellow-founder Freycinet is taking care of that as soon as he can ;)

Ah yes, and lovely to see the IL-2 flying and firing off some rockets!

Edited by Roast

Thanks for the update! I'm a bit dissapointed that we'll only get a few days a week to play the alpha, but if it helps you in making the game, I don't have the right to complain!

Pretty dissapointing that there's no way to play during weekends then?

Does not look that way at least early on in the early access period. Thankfully I have other sims I am very much enjoying I can continue to fly when I can on the weekends...

Great update :biggrin:  , beside the Online Play in the beginning, will there be an ability to practice off-line in regards to quick missions?

In the think that the three-day limitation for online playing/flying is an interesting choice, concentrating all founder-players online which f.i. will help the development team to test multiplayer matters and such

No complaints here although I am certain that I will miss some days when I am unable to join my fellow founders ..

Fantastic!. If some of you get bored on a Sunday night you can always join us for our Sunday Vintage missions on Rise if Flight :)

That's the question Alienex!  If we can play off line to our hearts content and online for those three days I will be a happy camper.

Well, i travel and work alot during the week, so i'm pretty disappointed to be honest.

TV shows have the advantage, that you can record them and watch them later, that's why that works so well for TV shows and less well for this.

If we can play off line to our hearts content and online for those three days I will be a happy camper.

I think that question has been aswered already and that answer is "No". Alteast that's how i read this blog.

Edited by Matt
  • Upvote 1

I love the detailed communication; I have a couple of questions though: Will the server be up between 00:00 Tues. - 23:59 Thurs. UTC ? Also, what are the system specs on the rig used to record the update videos? I really hope my rig will handle BoS. I can fly RoF just fine with good frame rates and it looks beautiful so hopefully my rig will be able to run BoS just as well.  

About the NDA:

So this means we (I) will be able to stream IL2 BoS on twitch as soon as I get my  download? This is a great way for me to show the rest of our squadron who hasn't pre-bought IL2 what they are missing out on!

Well yeah. :) And I'd appreciate it a lot if you informed me about such activities of yours - I may be helpfull.

It says from Tuesday through Thursday so I guess that, if I understand correctly, the access will simply be continuously possible during those 72 hours... no?

72 hours it is

Starting early access at the alpha stage we make ourselves work even harder but it helps us to deliver the game to you in better quality, tested and checked. And you get to play it long beffore the release. That's a win-win, I think.

In winter we'll announce when the access is becoming unlimited.

+1 that makes no sense at all,with eairly access why can we play when ever we want.That will really put of other people from pre-ordering :negative:

• Upvote 3

That's the question Alienex!  If we can play off line to our hearts content and online for those three days I will be a happy camper.

In ROF, in order for your stats and everything to remain dynamic, you have to sign in , to play the game. Does not matter if you are flying multiplayer or single player. I only fly ROF single player, but I sign in each time . One also needs to sign in, to play the beta career ( single player).

Now there is an option for offline only, ie one does not sign in - and you can fly offline but no access to beta career and stats not updated ( they are updated the next time you sign in within the sim).

I have a feeling BOS may use this same structure, though I have not seen any official word on that. It may be they only allow one to fly in the early access period by signing in online , and not have an offline option.

Looks certain to be online only - though that may just mean 'connected to the server' like in RoF, not necessarily multiplayer. That's how I read it. If so, you could play single missions etc to your heart's content.

I agree about the 72 hour access. It does seem the likely option.

• Upvote 1

+1 that makes no sense at all,with eairly access why can we play when ever we want.That will really put of other people from pre-ordering :negative:

Well with my situation ( travel for work during the week), I too am certainly disappointed. I pre-ordered the Premium shortly after the announcement of it, but most likely if I had even known this back then, I probably would have still pre-ordered just to support the sim - but may have only gone with standard rather than premium. No regrets on my part though.

To be honest,if i knew about this 72 hour crap,i wouldnt have pre-ordered

There were statements previously that initially early access would be limited to how much you could access it. This did not surprise me in the least bit.

Well, TBH had I known that I would be only able to play "Online" TUE-THU I would have support the game differently.

For me early access as it has been presented now it is useless, since I can play mostly during the weekends.

Many meople might be interested in discussing games issues during the weekend, but not my case at all.

I just wanted early access to be able to play ASAP and I am an offline player, specially when it comes to WWII/WWI flight sims, where I don´t like the types of online games that take place in most online servers.

So I am very dissappointed with this last update. But I guess devs already knew that no matter wht they did, they were always going to recieve negative feedback from some of the founders.

:

Just trying to be positve though, please NEXT TIME STATE CLEARLY YOUR EARLY ACCESS POLICY FROM THE VERY BEGINNING.

I guess a lot of us assumed (yes, I know..) that we were going to revieve an alpha verison but fully playable anytime, anywhere.

Maybe I am tooo naive

• Upvote 1

Very few alpha versions of games that are in online only stages are playable 24/7 in the beginning. Even beta stages.

I hope the timing of the limited access time doesn't mean the developers will be spending their weekends looking over the collected data? That would be a bit harsh!

Will changes to the alpha be distributed like the updates in ROF?  ROF's update process has always worked fairly smoothly for me.

The video looked very good! Cant wait to get behind the controls of that puppy!

Cheers!

A team which trys to cover almost everything, I take my hat off to you! Really appreciate all your well considered actions and decisions!

Wish you a nice weekend!

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Very few alpha versions of games that are in online only stages are playable 24/7 in the beginning. Even beta stages.

Well, I am backing pCars, and you can play offline/online without restrictions. I thouth alpha early acces system was going to be similar to that in pcars.

I was wrong

All those saying if they had known about 72 hours they would not have pre- ordered -its cheaper to pre order than buy post release so not sure what you are moaning about.

Strangest alpha approach I have seen though

• Upvote 1

Looks like that one has been in development for two years at least, they should be out of alpha by now.

Well, I am backing pCars, and you can play offline/online without restrictions. I thouth alpha early acces system was going to be similar to that in pcars.

I was wrong

Edited by FuriousMeow

Thanks for the info.  Bit curious: Early dev blogs said the game would have a singleplayer focus.  Is BoS shifting to multiplayer instead now?

The 72 hour thing comes as a bit of a shock, but hopefully it'll get the job done.  Looking forward to the chance to pre-download.  Very much appreciate that!

I understand your point, Chipi. Having a very clear statement of what the early-access entails would have been a great idea. I guess it has just evolved aling with the development.

That said, as has already been mentioned, its likely that online access only means being connected to the server that records your stats and PC info. In RoF, to play single player missions or QMBs, you generally logon at the start then play as if it were an offline experience.

Devs - can we get a clarification of this, just to soothe nerves?

All those saying if they had known about 72 hours they would not have pre- ordered -its cheaper to pre order than buy post release so not sure what you are moaning about.

Strangest alpha approach I have seen though

If I had wanted to save money I would have definitely preorder the normal version, not the premium one.

I wanted to play the game ASAP, and with this restrictions, I wont be able to play at all during the weekend. Sorry , but it is very fustrating for me..

Edited by Chipi
  • Upvote 1