Sign in to follow this  
9./JG27golani79

Is there a map editor?

The mission editor has some map editing options, but creating the elevation model will certainly require GIS/DEM software and of course you will need the necessary topographic data.

I think Rama or Zeus can give a detailed answer to this question.

~S~ Golgani,

I've used the Microdem program before to create custom Topographic Maps in 1946.

The best free site for downloading GIS/DEM data sets was from :

http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/selection/inputcoord.asp

Modern day Maps include bump and reflective layers, making them insanely time consuming to be done correctly.

That's probably the biggest reason for the Summer / Autumn maps not coming along until the Q3 of 2015 I'd guess.

I've not done Maps in years, never for BoS, don't have the old tools, however, I suspect you could still find them (+ a missing .dll one of them required) online.

Happy Hunting,

!S -Jupp- :salute: 

Getting the necessary topographic data could be a problem.

The SRTM3 data used for 1946 maps is certainly not detailed enough for BoS maps. I am not sure if ASTER or SRTM1 data can be used instead. More detailed data, like WorldDEM, is usually quite expensive for larger areas.

Thanks the advice - I´ve found a site which is called Open Topopgraphy where you can get data which is supposed to be pretty accurate - I´m sure it´s worth checking it out.

I struggle a bit though with the file and container formats / locations of the game. Would certainly be nice if there was some kind of documentation but I doubt that there is one for public use but I guess it comes down to trial & error ^^

A good source for free topographical data is the U.S. Geological Survey, although it requires a registration if you want to download data.
http://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/

Do you have a certain area in mind for a map project?

Do you have a certain area in mind for a map project?

Not yet - I just wanted to check it out and see how it works as I have experience in 3D / Texturing and stuff but never have made a map for such a game.

So if I can get into it I´ll probably do just some testing before getting serious about an actual map.