Sign in to follow this  
Y-29.Silky

Devs or MEditors PLEASE, this has got to go!

To the 5 German aircraft who decided to bypass the enemy Russians over the actual objectives and vulch the airfield (which is not an objective) from 7000m, you're doing an amazing job for the community by scaring new comers away just so you can circle-jerk to your kill/death ratio.

Modern Radar.

In an Expert Server.

cygCErJ.jpg

Edited by Y-29.Silky

Removing the radar wont stop people from vulching, even more, it will make it only worse, because you wont know they're coming.

It doesn't make sense that you could fly undetected around an enemy airfield. Maybe there's a way to simulate bogey calls from the ground troops but until then it makes more sense to have this than not. WWII planes didn't fly around blind and alone looking for the enemy. And it's better to force some action in MP than for people to fly around for an hour where nothing happens.

• Upvote 3

If player numbers are to increase, I think 'something' or other is needed to increase the potential for encounters.  I agree that the current radar map approach probably isn't the right answer.   I think it would be better if increased encounters could be achieved via upgraded automated radio chatter.  As an enemy aircraft approaches it's target a notification could be given of the potential threat and the grid ref where the action is expected.  This messaging could continue until the enemy has either been destroyed or has moved outside the target area.

From what I have observed, a number of players just appear to lurk around their own airfields at present waiting for the enemy to put in a raid.  I assume this is intended to take advantage of the current radar map.I   suspect a lot of potential players simply don't have the time to play the online game under current conditions.    

Edited by Wulf

I though it was for balancing issues? The 109 is overall way better but the yack has a proximity radar !

I would like to see Home airfield radio communications vectoring and observer reports introduced into the sim, as a possible way to remove the "radar"

In other sims the clue of an enemy near the base is the AA banging away. But surely this feature can be made a selectable option.

I would like to see Home airfield radio communications vectoring and observer reports introduced into the sim, as a possible way to remove the "radar"

This is similar to CloD and works 

To the purpose of minimize vulching this "RADAR/GPS" should be visible only for player based on that airbase, not for enemy!!!

In the way that is implemented just show for vulchers what airbase have "ducks". Gamey. :P

In the ancient Warbirds Online are a nice solution, the "RADAR" only show a line in the direction of the nearest contact,

so the players need search planes in the sky, not in their "GPS" screen.  :)

I must confess I found it a very very good introduction to Expert mode to fly around over the base where I could see enemies on the map. As soon as I felt safe without bringing up the map all the time, I ventured out. I don't know if I had ever left the singleplayernest without radar.... But maybe that was just me.

But there are definitely possibilities to find a compromise. How about more Radio chatter, no real time movement of contacts and dramatically increased numbers of anti-air guns?

Just like the Germans protected their Me262 fields IRL when the allies learnd that jets were vulnerable on takeoff and landing.

This is similar to CloD and works

In Desastersoft there are radio calls fro bandits in grid squares, with heading and altitude. Something like that would be good. I know in the BoB it was possible for controllers to do this more accurately because there actually was radar. But WWII air combat in general didn't involve blindly flying in circles looking for the enemy.

It's not radar, it's ground observers and infrantry with radios and field telephones. Pilots knowing newest reports about situation in the air are not unhistorical in WW2. Pilots acting as ground controllers to vector their teammates via TS or chat aren't unhistorical, either.

There is currently text that appears when a ground target is under attack or destroyed.  Something along this line might work to remove the "radar".  I don't mind either way as one can view the "radar" as ground observations.

OT.  I am more concerned with the black icon on the map that represents my aircraft everywhere I go on Wings of Liberty.  This is a server option.  This is much more unrealistic and needs to go IMO.  Not having this icon will change the dynamics of the server, no doubt.  I think finding targets to bomb or CAP will be more difficult and will slow down the speed at which maps rotate.

• Upvote 1

I am more concerned with the black icon on the map that represents my aircraft everywhere I go on Wings of Liberty.  This is a server option.  This is much more unrealistic and needs to go IMO. 

Im all for getting rid of this too. Rise of Flight doesn't show you your location in Expert unless you land and ask for directions.

Turn of the HUD and you don't see your plane icon over the map. :)

Off course this dont enforce the option to others players...

If use that "HUD" Compass assign the same key to bring the map to sow/hide the "HUD", so map on, "HUD" off, map off, "HUD" on. 

Turn the HUD off and you are at a major disadvantage. Back in the day you'd get a simple radio message that said an airfield was under attack. That's all they got in real life, that's all we should get here.

Turn of the HUD and you don't see your plane icon over the map. :)

Off course this dont enforce the option to others players...

If use that "HUD" Compass assign the same key to bring the map to sow/hide the "HUD", so map on, "HUD" off, map off, "HUD" on. 

I believe this solution turns off all text as well.  It also needs to be a server solution to really work.

Like someone said no radar isn't going to stop vulchers, infact you could argue that vultching is perfectly historical. How else did the Luftwaffe destroy over 1000 plus soviet planes on day one of Barbarossa, it wasn't in a2a combat.

I 'd say dial up the flak settings to compensate or allow radar settings as a server side option, but hard coding it to expert to have no radar...no....it should be considered in custom settings.

Also, you should be allowed to vulch in a2g aircraft.

oh and my solution to vulching? Build up AA at the airbases. Make it overpowered if need be. Any solo aircraft flying over should be getting all hell unleashed on it.

That's how it is now. At least on the servers I've tried. WoL for example. A lone attack on the enemy airfield is pretty much suicidal.

Like someone said no radar isn't going to stop vulchers, infact you could argue that vultching is perfectly historical. How else did the Luftwaffe destroy over 1000 plus soviet planes on day one of Barbarossa, it wasn't in a2a combat.

Yeah attacking aircraft on the ground was totally normal. And many of the planes here are for ground attack.

Im all for getting rid of this too. Rise of Flight doesn't show you your location in Expert unless you land and ask for directions.

True, but at the moment it is much easier to navigate on the ROF maps; perhaps this will change when the summer/autumn maps come out.

No radar means the vulchers will not know if someone is flying cover for the base.  As it is, they know if they themselves are likely to be bounced from the sun. So, if radar is removed, their effectiveness will be reduced.

..snip..

Chief, please correct me if I am misunderstanding you.  

As it stands the "radar" is a one way street. Only friendly aircraft can see the enemy at their base.  If you are over an enemy airfield currently, you will see only your black icon, not even other friendly a/c.  

For good or bad, removing "radar" will impact the ability of friendly aircraft to know if enemy are in the area of their airfield.  Removal of "radar" will improve the chances for vulchers as they won't be seen on the map.  I assume "radar" would be replaced with text messages.  Just the same, I tend to lean toward removal of "radar" if other steps are implemented.  Such steps include, increasing AA and their accuracy, removing the black icon and/or moving or adding airfields further back from the front.

I am for removing the radar completely, or at least make it an option for server admins. By the way, mission builders can already implement a more believable version of the "radar" with siren sounds and red flares when enemy is near the airfield.

• Upvote 1

Maybe if the AAA was more effective around airfields vulchers would have a tougher time, it could also (as has been mentioned) reveal where the enemy are roughly.

It would make it a tad more realistic IMO.

Mick. 

A little OT.

Did some refreshing my memory on the black icon.  That is controlled by the 2D instrument panel control ("I" key) which in mp seems to get rid of the all icons, not just yours, and the 2D compass.  So, I can press the "I" key to toggle seeing traffic around airfields when I am taking off or approaching.  Thankfully, ground target icon locations are still present.

I also took a look at text messages in options.  I shut down the in-game messages which controls engine info text.  This is a crutch I was leaning on way too much.

I have to leave the HUD on in order to still receive in-game pilot chat and mission messages (ground and air kills, mission accomplishments, etc.) but that's a good thing.

I am finding flying while relying on only the instruments and my eyeballs much more enjoyable.  No more ever present black icon once I leave the airfield airspace and no 2D compass as I will shut it off, so navigation is up to me. Also no engine warnings text, etc. so I am forced to learn the cockpits now and monitor instruments more closely.  There are probably many that already fly this way but I am usually a latecomer to things.

So thanks to Y-29.Silky for the OP and to Sokol1 and JG5_ChiefWH who also got me thinking.  Always good to take things to another level.

Now, back to "radar"