Sign in to follow this  
Redroach

FW-190: No looping?

Hi,

granted, a looping is not the very best air combat maneuver, but still, I don't seem to be able to do one in the FW-190.

I tried at different speeds, throttle settings, altitudes, pre-diving but it won't work. I always stall shortly before the apex of the looping

and this is pretty well-reproducible.

Does anyone have some guidance about what I'm doing wrong? Or is this, probably, historically correct? If not, I think this should be

fixed, as not being able to loop around is certainly a handicap.

Hi Redroach,

I have not tried it but the engine is a big radial so you might get a lot of torque at low speed at the top. What is your start speed.

This pilot can do it though 6 min 40 sec in :)

[ytubehd] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkqbUahsiHg&feature=youtu.be&t=408 [/ytubehd]

Edited by TP_Jacko
  • Upvote 1

You can do loops in the 190 but you have to be very gentle with it. It's not a maneuver that is worth doing in air combat but a high yo yo is and works fine with the 190.

This seems to be something wrong with the program itself.  The piper cub, of about 70 miles an hour can make a loop... I don't know of an aircraft other than a commercial airliner that can not accomplish this maneuver, or eight Cuban 8.

Yes I have actually been wondering the same thing the 190 seems to have great difficulty doing the most basic of maneuvers even when flying at a good speed. This makes it very ineffective as a fighter aircraft as I can't even do a split s to pull on to someone's tail without risking a massive departure from flight. This is making fights very difficult for me

Edited by TheJay13

Be sure you are not pulling too hard in the beginning of the loop and getting too much AoA and drag. You can hear the 190 buffet noise when this happens.

Enter into the loop at 500KPH & 1.3ATA and pull gently till you go over the top at about 250

retard the throttle on the down side and pull out level

post-1189-0-76537800-1438656719_thumb.jpg

post-1189-0-30584700-1438656729_thumb.jpg

I just made 10 loopings in a row keeping climb power all the time.

Not sure what you're doing wrong, if you can't fly a looping. Maybe pull to hard or not hard enough (when going inverted, you can pull considerably harder).

Not that a looping is a useful maneuver in a fight. Slit-S are no problem whatsoever either for me.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your opinions, guys and guyettes!

So, the majority opinion seems to be that the FM is indeed good enough "in comparison" to the historical situation.

Fair enough; So, I'll have to practise a bit more - or probably a lot more! :)

Again, thanks for your answers and carry on - good hunting everybody!

Thanks for your opinions, guys and guyettes!

So, the majority opinion seems to be that the FM is indeed good enough "in comparison" to the historical situation.

Fair enough; So, I'll have to practise a bit more - or probably a lot more! :)

Again, thanks for your answers and carry on - good hunting everybody!

Just remember the 190 is a heavy aircraft look at the video Jacko posted, he takes it gentle but many simmers are used to yanking the stick all over the shop :)

yeah, thats probably the thing... just yanking the stick back to "get this looping over with" doesnt seem to be taken well by the FW...

Just saw this topic and thought: "Now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever actually looped the Fw 190, but of course it can be done."

Tried it, and sure enough: No trouble at all looping this bird at normal combat power starting from 500 km/h. If you do it carefully the energy retention is actually quite good. I did three in a row and ended up at almost exactly the same altitude but going 60km/h faster.