DD today?

Blooddawn1942

10 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

I'll get the horse tranquilizers."

How dare you Sir! I'm not Scottish! 

Down here all that's required is a soft, damp flannel, some Jeyes fluid, a vigorous scrubbing motion, and one of Sgt Wilson's Extra Strong Turkish Cigarettes. 

Edited by Diggun
  • Haha 1

RedKestrel
2 minutes ago, Diggun said:

Down here all that's required is a soft, damp flannel, some Jeyes fluid, a vigorous scrubbing motion, and one of Sgt Wilson's Extra Strong Turkish Cigarettes. 

Or as I like to call it, the Old College Try.

• Haha 1

Hope so, but maybe not as I don't know if the team will have had a whole week at work yet after Russian Christmas.... 

I'd be very pleased to see almost anything though (as the Bishop once said to the netball team)... 

• Haha 1

ShamrockOneFive

A DD would be great to have after the week that I've had. But I'm not sure if the team's been back long enough after holidays to be ready to show off some stuff yet.

There's a lot coming down the pipeline so I'm guessing we'll see a bunch of really interesting dev diary's coming up.

• Upvote 1

Missionbug
20 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

But I'm not sure if the team's been back long enough after holidays to be ready to show off some stuff yet.

Personally as I develop the stuff I do for the old modded 1946 version I take images as I go to update my threads periodically for those following what I do, for a project this big and with as many talented individuals as they have working on it I would think there would always be a little of something that could be posted for the DD, 3d in work, screenshots of newly skinned aircraft, vehicles and the map of course whether there are holidays or not surely there is stuff they can share with us that might actually be weeks old, better than nothing though and keeps folks interested in the ongoing work.

For me I am more looking forward to anything on the new Normandy map, please, pretty please.

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.

AndytotheD

Based on the roadmap from Jason, with the 12 month timeline we can expect about 2 new planes/vehicles a month, on an 18 month timeline about 1 new plane or vehicle a month. Obviously everything is subject to change, but I remain cautiously optimistic. The next great battles plane to be released is apparently going to be the Spitfire XIV which is something I’ve been looking forward to for quite some time

• Like 2

Voidhunger
13 minutes ago, AndytotheD said:

Based on the roadmap from Jason, with the 12 month timeline we can expect about 2 new planes/vehicles a month, on an 18 month timeline about 1 new plane or vehicle a month. Obviously everything is subject to change, but I remain cautiously optimistic. The next great battles plane to be released is apparently going to be the Spitfire XIV which is something I’ve been looking forward to for quite some time

Yeah, im not a big fan of the spitfires, but this variant we are getting is beautiful. Cant wait to ty it.

• Upvote 1

cardboard_killer
8 minutes ago, AndytotheD said:

The next great battles plane to be released is apparently going to be the Spitfire XIV which is something I’ve been looking forward to for quite some time

Me too! The Spit IX is fine, but it was designed to tackle the Fw 190A3, not the D9! I was looking last night at the old IL-2:1946's version of the Hawker Sea Fury. Mmmm.

Sea_Fury_-_Fly_Navy_2017_(cropped).jpg

• Like 2

Bremspropeller

The XIV will cause some very bad uneasiness among the LW crowd.

6 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

Yeah, im not a big fan of the spitfire

Neither was I. But it grows on you.

I recently also discovered my love for the MC 202 - despite being armed with a volley inert peas. 😅

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 2

LF_Gallahad
2 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

The XIV will cause some very bad uneasiness among the LW crowd.

Oh boy, prepare for the storm  😀

LF_Gallahad

A welcomed sight when you are in a Typhoon and a feared one if you are in a Luftwaffe ride

bcf411a799fac4cecff69f8d06fcf495.jpg

• Like 1

I feel, like the La-5FN, its going to be one of those beasts where you strap it on and then you're along for the ride, rather than feeling cool, calm, and in control the whole flight...

2050hp. That is a lot of sauce.

Edited by Diggun
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Taxman said:

Back on topic, any one think there will be a DD this Friday????:excl:

Not a Nordberg's chance in Hell..... but then again.

• Haha 1

RedKestrel
23 minutes ago, LF_Gallahad said:

A welcomed sight when you are in a Typhoon and a feared one if you are in a Luftwaffe ride

bcf411a799fac4cecff69f8d06fcf495.jpg

As long as they keep Fritz off my back while I'm moving mud in the Typhoon they'll be the prettiest things I ever saw.

• Like 2

Aurora_Stealth
On 1/15/2021 at 2:11 PM, Diggun said:

I feel, like the La-5FN, its going to be one of those beasts where you strap it on and then you're along for the ride, rather than feeling cool, calm, and in control the whole flight...

2050hp. That is a lot of sauce.

My feelings exactly, and its carrying a lot of duck as well... half a ton of duck more than a Mark IX to be precise. It had a good Xmas dinner.

Should be tremendously powerful and entertaining to watch doing energy maneuvers though.

I'm curious to see how people find its handling on takeoff, I suspect more than a few will be caught out by the prop rotating in the other direction.

DSCN0154.thumb.JPG.d3b6adaf1293e8a656ab0e7e678e2587.JPG

Edit: A photo I took at Duxford many a year ago. What a beast.

Edited by Aurora_Stealth
  • Upvote 1

=621=Samikatz

It's worth noting that a lot of the existing birds in game will outrun it by a fair bit at low altitude, at sea level it's neck and neck with the G-14. Up high is its natural hunting grounds and where the fun begins

Bremspropeller
16 minutes ago, =621=Samikatz said:

It's worth noting that a lot of the existing birds in game will outrun it by a fair bit at low altitude, at sea level it's neck and neck with the G-14. Up high is its natural hunting grounds and where the fun begins

Depends on the rating they'll model.

IIRC a +21lbs bird will be short of the Dora and faster than a 1,8 ata Kurfürst.

Both ratings of the Spit (+18 and +21) will outperform the 1,8 ata K in climb at almost all altitudes.

Then, there'll be the Tempest and Mustang (the Mk. III on +25lbs would be even faster, we'll see if we'll get that rating), which are very fast on the deck.

The Typhoon on +11lbs should be quite okay as well.

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Upvote 1

=621=Samikatz
Just now, Bremspropeller said:

IIRC a +21lbs bird will be just short of the Dora and on par or faster than a 1,8 ata Kurfürst.

Then, there'll be the Tempest and Mustang (the Mk. III on +25lbs would be even faster), which are very fast on the deck.

The Typhoon on +11lbs should be quite okay as well.

According to the devblog we are getting a 2200hp setting which means 21lbs I suppose?

The Mustang III will be very, very, very good down low, and I am just as excited for it

• Like 1

Bremspropeller

The only consolation for the LW will be the Mustang not being able to shoot them down with those four stapler-guns. 59.gif.c11545f603590e309caccb725144a8d4.gif

• Haha 2

Bremspropeller
1 minute ago, Enceladus said:

I'd like to see Drop tanks in this or the next DD.

Cheers.

There you go:

DF-ST-91-07552.jpeg

• Haha 6

II/JG17_HerrMurf
2 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

The only consolation for the LW will be the Mustang not being able to shoot them down with those four stapler-guns. 59.gif.c11545f603590e309caccb725144a8d4.gif

Challenge accepted :)

I've always thought a Mustang/Malcolm was a trully beautiful sight.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Trooper117
4 hours ago, cardboard_killer said:

I was looking last night at the old IL-2:1946's version of the Hawker Sea Fury.

You won't see it here though... It didn't become operational until well after WWII.

If the GB series goes to Korea however...

2 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

There you go:

DF-ST-91-07552.jpeg

You mean like this?

Edited by Jaws2002

1 hour ago, Jaws2002 said:

You mean like this?

I'd have to believe that would void the warranty.

• Haha 1

-=PHX=-SuperEtendard

16 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

IIRC a +21lbs bird will be short of the Dora and faster than a 1,8 ata Kurfürst.

In game if they make the speed correct it will match the K-4 at 1.8, given it has a bit of overspeed at the deck (605 km/h / 376 mph).

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Algy-Lacey
22 hours ago, =621=Samikatz said:

According to the devblog we are getting a 2200hp setting which means 21lbs I suppose?

The Mustang III will be very, very, very good down low, and I am just as excited for it

The MkXIV will be competitive at any altitude, will be able to turn well and fight very well in the vertical, climbs like a monkey and excels at higher altitudes.

At some point this year I would love it for the developers to revisit 1 aspect of the FM, the impact of Torque on flight at low airspeeds and in general. The swing on takeoff is there, but other aspects are lacking. Historically the P51 was tricky on landing and if a go-around was needed the pilots had to be careful to apply the throttle gradually, otherwise the torque of the Packard Merlin and 4 bladed propellor would roll a Mustang onto it's back. Not nice at low altitude. I imagine that the Spitfire XIV would be worse, with 2000+ Hp and a 5 bladed prop. (I might be using the wrong aeronautical term, is it torque that I'm referring to, or P-factor, anyone?) Also when turning the nose should either drop a little or want to rise up depending on which side you turn because of gyroscopic effect. I would love these qualities added, and for people to be able to choose in the settings if we want things as they are or with the added difficulty of these factors.

Anyways, I'm very much looking forward to all of the aircraft in BON even with torque modelled the way it is. I have been waiting for a Spitfire Mk XIV since the early days of IL-2 Forgotten Battles, good times ahead!

Algy :salute:

• Upvote 2

Aurora_Stealth
On 1/16/2021 at 2:49 PM, Algy-Lacey said:

The MkXIV will be competitive at any altitude, will be able to turn well and fight very well in the vertical, climbs like a monkey and excels at higher altitudes.

Compared to a Mustang it might turn ~okay~ but I don't think its that competitive in the turn compared to say the Mark IX; the XIV weighs half a ton more than the latter - affecting wing loading considerably (the power loading ratio is actually worse than a Mark IX as well).

Most of the single engine Luftwaffe fighters will at least match it in turning performance.

That was part of the compromise for installing that enormous Griffon engine to boost performance... it also carries significant drag (those giant radiators). The much increased weight and changes to C-of-G from installing the new engine... plus the incredible torque and prop wash you mentioned won't work in its favour. It'll definitely make it very tricky to handle at the lower end of the flying envelope.

I agree otherwise though, should perform well in the vertical... would be great to see some more depth with the torque, prop wash as well as general ground handling details.

DSCN0240a.thumb.jpg.9df44b5b52b0dbbd334d2866da4e954a.jpg

Algy-Lacey
53 minutes ago, Aurora_Stealth said:

Most of the single engine Luftwaffe fighters will at least match it in turning performance.

That's not what I've been led to believe, there was a Spitfire book by Alfred Price (forget it's title) and there was a section on relative performance between the Spitfire XIV and Me 109 G, the general conclusion was that the Mk XIV was better in all areas including turns, turning one way the Spitfire had the edge, turning the other way (with gyroscopic effects?) it was even more pronounced that it was the superior of the two. But that's from memory. Whilst the MkIX has less weight with the same wing area, it also has less power. Power loading ratio, is that Hp per Kg? The MkXIV has more power per square meter of wing area so maybe that makes up for the extra weight in turns? Here there are some pilot anecdotes and data from tests http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spit14v109.html

"Ian Ponsford who was credited with 7 enemy aircraft destroyed, 1 probable and three damaged whilst flying Spitfire XIV's with 130 Squadron recalled:

The Spitfire XIV was the most marvellous aeroplane at that time and I consider it to have been the best operational fighter of them all as it could out-climb virtually anything. The earlier Merlin-Spitifre may have had a slight edge when it came to turning performance but the Mark XIV was certainly better in this respect than the opposition we were faced with. The only thing it couldn't do was keep up with the FW 190D in a dive. It could be a bit tricky on take off if one opened the throttle too quickly as you just couldn't hold it straight because the torque was so great from the enormous power developed from the Griffon engine. One big advantage that we had over the Germans was that we ran our aircraft on advanced fuels which gave us more power. The 150 octane fuel that we used was strange looking stuff as it was bright green and had an awful smell - it had to be heavily leaded to cope with the extra compression of the engine. 59"

It should at least be able to match lighter Bf109's in turns, but it will depend at which end of the flight envelope I would guess.

Algy :salute:

Lol, all this talk about the turn performance of the XIV. Planes like that are meant to be flown at high speed, rather than [edited] around at low speed. It's like criticizing the Corsair's turn performance against a Zero or Oscar.

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
Language
  • Like 1

-=PHX=-SuperEtendard

At least looks like in trials it was noted to not be too much different than the Mk IX in overall agility. 

Also even with the extra 500 Kg of weight it still retains a lower wing loading than competing German fighters (from 141 Kg/m^2 to 170 Kg/m^2, compared to 200 Kg/m^2 of the 109G-14).

Altitude will be important as well, given depending on the altitude the Griffon will have more or less of a power advantage over the Merlin, and this helps offseting the difference in wing loading.

I made this chart by joining two of the power charts available at WWIIaircraftperformance.com website, and slighlty reescaling them, anyway for a rough comparison it should be fine (error just in single HP digits)

unknown.png

If you compare for example +18 Mk XIV vs +18 Mk IX, you can see that at sea level the difference is roughly 300 HP, between 12k/13k feet the difference is the greatest at 400-450 HP.

When comparing +21 Mk XIV vs +25 Mk IX the differences are much smaller at low altitude, at around 9K feet and 23k feet it grows back to the 400 HP region.

Funnily enough +25 boost Mk IX has the basically the same power as the +18 boost Mk XIV between 13k and 18k of altitude.

So currently you can have a bit of an approximation on how the Spit XIV could handle in this situation: take a Spit Mk IX, load it with bombs (almost 500 Kg extra weight), put the 150 octane modification and fight some 109s at 13k - 18k feet. You will have a good bit of extra drag but so far it would be the best approximation 👍 (also propeller efficiency differences).

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Like 5

Algy-Lacey
41 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Lol, all this talk about the turn performance of the XIV. Planes like that are meant to be flown at high speed, rather than dicking around at low speed. It's like criticizing the Corsair's turn performance against a Zero or Oscar.

I get what you're saying. And yeah whilst keeping the speed and energy up would be the best way to fly the Mk XIV, there will be situations in combat where you end up at lower speed. For the Mk XIV the best bet is to point the nose at the heavens and climb away, but my point was that the Mk XIV can do it all. Hey it's my favourite WW2 fighter so I'm gonna defend it's honour to the death! :pilot:The other thing is that the Spitfire wing retains energy really well. The Mk XIV was a good turn fighter and energy fighter.

Aurora_Stealth
1 hour ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

At least looks like in trials it was noted to not be too much different than the Mk IX in overall agility. 

So currently you can have a bit of an approximation on how the Spit XIV could handle in this situation: take a Spit Mk IX, load it with bombs (almost 500 Kg extra weight), put the 150 octane modification and fight some 109s at 13k - 18k feet. You will have a good bit of extra drag but so far it would be the best approximation 👍 (also propeller efficiency differences).

That is a very clever way of comparing them, I like that - I'm going to have to try out the Mark IX in-game with a bomb @13 - 18,000 feet; see how it fares.

But... just to clarify... a Mark XIV is similar in overall agility to a Mark IX, while attaching a bomb to a Mark IX to gain that similarity... 

I know what you're saying - and I'm playing devil's advocate here; the overall power of manoeuvre and general agility is going to be broadly similar... I do generally agree with this.

Please call me cynical, but I've read a lot of institutional... bias rubbish  enthusiasm in reports (British ones included) over the years which seem to pat themselves on the back more than I'm comfortable with - each nation isn't going to be in a rush to highlight in a critical way the weaknesses in their equipment. Which is not surprising and all countries did it, but it does often detract from a rounded opinion.

Either way, we'll soon see what comes through. I'm very excited for it and I know it'll be a superb aircraft whatever the case. That we know.

Edited by Aurora_Stealth
  • Like 1

CountZero

Tempest V down low and Spit 14 up high and you can finaly forghet about using american stuff with its uber .50cals, 2 more months and Spit 14 is here 😄

oh also Typhoon for GA should be nice, that thing will turn like crazy down low.

Edited by CountZero