Sign in to follow this  
[CPT]milopugdog

Good looking wings, bad looking damage

After getting bounced by a Bf-109 in the IL-2, I set a course for home. As I stuck my head out of my canopy, I was greeted by very ugly looking holes in my beautiful wings. I understand that the dev team has a lot on their plate with the seasonal maps and BoM EA, but shouldn't this be one of the things you deal with during the EA for BoS? These damage textures absolutely spoils the visual feeling of being damaged, yet I've never seen a thread questioning why they still look like this. What should be done with them seems like it would be a fairly simple answer. So, why haven't they been improved yet?

Screenshots of wing damage:

hBiJeWc.jpg

fxXp2yn.jpg

See you in the skies,

Milo 

• Upvote 5

Ew wow, I've never looked that closely before. It looks like 2D holes pasted on the wings.

Ew wow, I've never looked that closely before. It looks like 2D holes pasted on the wings.

They have literally always looked that way.

I spent quite a bit of time critiquing it hoping that it would change... I was met with a lot of... Well, that's a different story.

I really hope they improve on this... I remember the exploded 3D diagram of the Lagg from long, long ago and I'm still not convinced that the physical model for any of the planes are as detailed as what was "advertised" with that diagram.

A robust and appealing visual damage model combined with the great physics based damage model that we currently have would culminate in what would potentially be the greatest damage model ever.

• Upvote 1

It's one of the few things I wish they'd just completely re-do. It just doesn't look very good.

It's one of the few things I wish they'd just completely re-do. It just doesn't look very good.

In BoS there are actually holes in your wings with stuff inside. Sometimes the lighting isn't right to see in there though.

I do wish they'd add some paint spall around the edges, some bright metal where it's been blasted off. That would help the "painted black spots" look a lot.

@Sharpe - Yes. I was flying SP yesterday & went to external view to assess damage and was surprised to see the ground through holes in the wings, and parts of the wing skeleton as well. It looked pretty good. So maybe it is just a viewing angle thing - or maybe a different type of hit / damage?

My guess is that it's a limit dictated by the current maximum resolution for external textures (skins?).

Here's some scree shots of damage to the wings, the damage is 3D with holes that go through and there's structure inside. There's also the paint spall effect around the edges.

post-1189-0-95277700-1439426270_thumb.jpg

post-1189-0-07754000-1439426291_thumb.jpg

post-1189-0-25634100-1439426492_thumb.jpg

Edited by SharpeXB

Here's some scree shots of damage to the wings, the damage is 3D with holes that go through and there's structure inside. There's also the paint spall effect around the edges.

it's in some wings but on all the fuselages are 2d black spots, i put it in the bug section 

the most obvious case is the 52 that when the body is damages you see just black patches all

over it with no transparency inside the plane

I realize that it looks better from a 3rd person view, but shouldn't it look better from where we play the game? If you look my screenshots, the monotone metal look very ugly next to the undamaged camo. 

I realize that it looks better from a 3rd person view, but shouldn't it look better from where we play the game? If you look my screenshots, the monotone metal look very ugly next to the undamaged camo.

I could see that same damage in 3D from the cockpit, should have posted that shot too.

Still surprising affer all this time for such a good graphics package. Everything is just so top notch in the looks department except the damage decals. It's gotta get addressed eventually doesn't it?

• Upvote 1