Sign in to follow this  
=VARP=Tvrdi

DCS world 2 preview (WW2)

The alternative was showing Georgia only, which doesn't fit either. No matter what I showed, people are gonna complain anyway. It's a lose-lose situation.

Or I could've shown nothing at all. Maybe I'll just do that next time.  :biggrin:

Don´t let a few grumpy complainers discourage you from showing more DCS 2.0 stuff - I´m sure it´s appreciated by a lot!

• Upvote 1

DCS has some realy good points. The aircraft operation is very advanced. Takeoff and landing feel very natural and airplanes behave very realistically in normal flight operations. But the biggest issue I have is that the work progresses very slowly. The lack of a proper map is not a big issue for me... although it kills immersion. But even when Normandy map arrives, its still not going to be fine with me. Why? Because Fw190D9 and Bf109K4 never flew over Normandy. Its my preference though.

I also, never understood why K4. I like Bf109. 109G2 was my fav for a long time in il2 46. But I've always found the Me109K4 as the "Gerry fanboy 109." It was so "super" and "best" and "latests". It was built in very small numbers when compared to Bf109G6 and G14 and very little were available during 1944. So why K4? It doesn't fit to the Normandy map and there are no flyable ones, and not even a single plane that has survived (correct me if I am wrong). Most data for 109s is taken from G models. Balance? The K4 makes the 190 less unique beeing just as fast low and quicker at high alt, and it turns better than P-51 while it is faster than P-51... It makes no sense to me...

Overall, I am waiting for DCS 2.0. I am a little bit excited and hope for the game to pick up pace in development of modules and patches for all the existing ones. It certainly looks good. What I am happy the most about, is that the game will have better framerate and the whole thing will be one exe, and that means its gonna load faster :)

That's a great looking map. How big is it gonna be?

This is no new map. That's the same old Black Sea map we are flying on since years. It's just rendered with DCS 2.0, thats all.

Once released, everyone can play on this map for free.

The black sea map is around 500x500km

Edited by nirvi

The alternative was showing Georgia only, which doesn't fit either. No matter what I showed, people are gonna complain anyway. It's a lose-lose situation.

Or I could've shown nothing at all. Maybe I'll just do that next time.  :biggrin:

I think you need to separate peoples criticism of overall DCS design decisions from that of your personal work, if you are going to continue to produce (very nice) vids/trailers for DCS2 and present them to the whole internet world you are going to have to grow a thicker skin ;)

Thanks for the effort

Cheers Dakpilot

• Upvote 1

This is no new map. That's the same old Black Sea map we are flying on since years. It's just rendered with DCS 2.0, thats all.Once released, everyone can play on this map for free.The black sea map is around 500x500km

"thats all"....hehe...amazing

"thats all"....hehe...amazing

Well, he's right. It's essentially the same old map everyone's been flying on years, but now it has a new coat of paint. 

Well, he's right. It's essentially the same old map everyone's been flying on years, but now it has a new coat of paint. 

Like the 'new' BoS Summer maps, and look how excited we are :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

or like new/old ROF engine used for BOS and look how we enjoy this..

I guess for some ppl "the sun is brighter here" works as butter..hehe

Edited by blackram_

The BOS map is 'new' though isn't it? BOS was only released a few months ago.

As for people getting the hump for not being excited over their review....relax ffs

As for people getting the hump for not being excited over their review....relax ffs

lolwut?

lolwut?

By this point, you can't really expect people to get all that excited about yet another DCS World 2.0 preview video. 

By this point, you can't really expect people to get all that excited about yet another DCS World 2.0 preview video. 

I'm certainly not expecting anything from this community. What's your point?

Edited by 71st_AH_Chuck

I'm not expecting anything from this community. What's your point?

My point is what I wrote above. Yes, it's a nice video. Yes, it's a nice preview of the Nevada map. But ultimately, most people are tired of waiting. 

My point is what I wrote above. Yes, it's a nice video. Yes, it's a nice preview of the Nevada map. But ultimately, most people are tired of waiting. 

I'm probably even more tired of waiting for DCS than all of you combined.

I didn't blame anyone for not getting excited; I just find it silly that some people pretend I did so. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

This preview was mainly to answer the big question marks people had regarding the current limitations of the engine (especially regarding the issues particular to WWII birds), answers that until now had no clear answers from the devs for years. It wasn't meant to be a Nevada Preview since there were already a couple on youtube.

Anyway... back to the topic at hand.

Edited by 71st_AH_Chuck
  • Upvote 1

You do a great job Chuck and I am sure vast majority of simmers appreciate it.

:salute:

I have all DCS WWII birds (and  quite a few other planes/copters too) and I wait for a proper WWII theater.

Looking forward to DCSW 2.

Thanks for the review.

Edited by ST_ami7b5

Seriously. Why are you guys being down on Chuck over this? The vid was great and showcased a few particular aspects of DCS World2 very well.

Some of us aren't too excited anymore about the prospects of a great WW2 experience. Doesn't mean we can't acknowledge the good direction DCS is taking with this new technology.

I think Chuck, just as the rest of us should, has a great time playing both. I actually am having a great time playing BoS and DCS, each with it's own limitations, each with it's own "pluses"...

They're both so enjoyable, as Chucks videos show, for both tittles that I would be stupid trying to put one down ... What would I gain from it ?

Enjoy both, expect the upcoming updates, at their own paces, for each of them, feel HAPPY because we would be a lot more limited in our combat flightsim playing if they weren't there !

I dont think people are as much on Chuck as on ED. I respect Chuck and appreciate everything he has done, including this video. I follow his channel for a long time and wish him to continue a great job he does.

However I'm quite negative on the ED work and lack of coordination with other parties. But nonetheless I'll enjoy the new map along with DCS Wolrd 2.0, its something I've been waiting for a quite some time.

Peace.  

• Upvote 3

Quote from facebook by ED:Eagle Dynamics

The L-39ZA will be part of the DCS: L-39 Albatros module, but it will probably not be included in the initial open beta release.

Another point: The Albatros module will be released as an open beta in September 2015 along with DCS World 1.5.0. This version will use the new rendering engine, but only include the Black Sea map.

This is from today. 6 minutes ago.

Edited by roaming_gnome
  • Upvote 2

Another point: The Albatros module will be released as an open beta in September 2015 along with DCS World 1.5.0. This version will use the new rendering engine, but only include the Black Sea map.

Well, I can wait a bit longer for Nevade - flying warbids most of the time in DCS.

If we get Edge in September I´m fine with it :D

I look fwd to it too, of course, but the main reason I use DCS is to fly the 2 helicopters I own ( uh-1h and mi-8 ), and, from time to time, the F-86 too, because in as far as ww2 prop aircraft are concerned, by far I prefer the wya they're modeled in BoS.

I heard mention that a minimum of 16GB ram is recommended,is that a true figure or am I picking up on incorrect Internet gossip

Looking forward to giving this a run when it surfaces

Cheers Dakpilot

I heard mention that a minimum of 16GB ram is recommended,is that a true figure or am I picking up on incorrect Internet gossip

Looking forward to giving this a run when it surfaces

Cheers Dakpilot

There are new system requirements listed for the L-39 and Nevada map module. These can still change during the open beta phase.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/

Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: 2 GB RAM card, DirectX11 - compatible;requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+; RAM: 16GB; Hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / ATI R9 290 DirectX11 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

Edited by nirvi

According to the Steam Hardware survey

46% have 8GB of RAM or higher

15% have 12GB plus.

A 2GB RAM graphics card is minimum?

Wow.... There are gonna be a lot of people (myself included) who are gonna miss out on this one.

A 2GB RAM graphics card is minimum?

Wow.... There are gonna be a lot of people (myself included) who are gonna miss out on this one.

2GB has turned into the standard these days, but as far as I am concerned, there are other subjects that are more important to me, and a flight simulator isn't really only the graphics... which, even still using Dx9.0c, Il2 masters.

Oh boy...these min specs are simply not worth it for a ton on lipstick on the same pig.

OK, I was harsh here. It does look way better and I understand it's a new engine. But it's still "just" flying a few warbirds over a small, boring piece of landscape. :(

Not bashing here...if we had a UK/ Normandy map, a Spitfire, a B-17, a Ju-88, etc...that would be the simmer's dream, and I would go running to the closest PC store to upgrade my system.

I'm curious about that Nevada map.  Those deep black shadows on the hills, are they painted on as part of the texture or do they move?  It looks like the textures come straight off the satellite photo.  :unsure:

I'm curious about that Nevada map.  Those deep black shadows on the hills, are they painted on as part of the texture or do they move?  It looks like the textures come straight off the satellite photo.  :unsure:

They move, which is nothing particularly special - we have it since 2006, for instance, in CondorSoaring, in X-Plane 10, etc...  I believe it was also present in MS FLIGHT.

Edited by jcomm

Well, I personally did not look for superior graphics but increased performance. Instead it seems that my quite decent PC (Core i5 4670K 3.4 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, GTX 660 Windforce ) might not be enough to achieve what I wanted. 

• Upvote 2

At some point well have normandy map, enough of ww2 planes I care for and dcs world2 improvements.

But still, they're going to have P-40F's against K-4's and D-9's over the 47/38/Spitfire. I don't know what the hell they're thinking. Now an I-16? How..

But still, they're going to have P-40F's against K-4's and D-9's over the 47/38/Spitfire. I don't know what the hell they're thinking. Now an I-16? How..

Really looking forward to the distant future for the things they say they will have for us, but it does feel like someone is running the public commercial version of their product out of a moving minibus while also driving their kids for piano lessons and between their grocery shopping. ...I believe they have 55 employees in addition to all the third parties, wonder where all that work goes. To their credit, the product is in multiple languages and one small change requires a lot back pedaling to update each localization, each tutorial, etc. Enormous effort there.

Edited by roaming_gnome

Well, people can fly Mirage 2000C against... Mig-21 BIS and pretend that are in 70's Middle East (over Nevada).  It's DCS. ;)

Well, people can fly Mirage 2000C against... Mig-21 BIS and pretend that are in 70's Middle East (over Nevada).  It's DCS. ;)

Wait 5-10 years and you'll have the Straight of Hormuz to play with!  ;)