Sign in to follow this  
jcomm-il2

Why do the Yak-1 pilots like it inverted ?...

Yesterday this happened at least twice at the NORMAL DED server.

After scoring some good hits on Yak-1s, and going after them to try to end my "job", I was astonished to see that both pilots used a technique I can't really understand... They went inverted and started flying that way, actually managing to getting away from me more effectively ???? 

How comes ?

How dare you question glorious Stalinwood-plane!

• Upvote 1

Yesterday this happened at least twice at the NORMAL DED server.

After scoring some good hits on Yak-1s, and going after them to try to end my "job", I was astonished to see that both pilots used a technique I can't really understand... They went inverted and started flying that way, actually managing to getting away from me more effectively ???? 

How comes ?

No idea, but if I really wanted to find out I would fly a Yak for a while in Quick Mission, no enemy, and just see what happens when inverted. Must be easier to understand that way than looking from outside?

Makes no sense to me, and I fly the Yak a lot.

Maybe they were just showing off?

They read the FM debates: so they only do it to annoy, because they know it teases....they probably open their flaps, rudely, as well.

• Upvote 4

They read the FM debates: so they only do it to annoy, because they know it teases....they probably open their flaps, rudely, as well.

The ultimate in flight sim trolling :D

It makes even less sense in the Rata. Not only because the engine cuts out, but also because it's got such an amazing roll rate, that it makes no difference in terms of pulling evasive maneuvers.

• Upvote 1

wings produce lift, what if the flip?

Magic :P Wings don't (always) need to produce lift to fly. Modern Fighter jets wings shape don't produce that much lift to avoid drag so they can reach a high top speed. The angle the wing is cutting through the air can create "lift" so the aircraft can fly. Hence a plane can fly up-sidown it will just require a lot of forward stick :D

Edited by Bullets

wings produce lift, what if the flip?

Wings only produce lift if they are at an angle to the airflow, it's not like they have an 'upside' and a 'downside' and only produce lift in the 'upside' direction.

I see the AI do that sometimes, they fly inverted for while. Its less common seeing people do that on multiplayer, but I saw a couple, nothing to worry to much. Yes it will throw your aim off, but thats its, just dont follow, go up and conserve energy for another pass and I assure that there are other ways to evade shots which are better and conserve more energy/speed.

the lift is pulling down helping in a smooth dive away

actually diving inverted the lift vector helps you instead of being against you so it makes perfect sense

• Upvote 2

actually diving inverted the lift vector helps you instead of being against you so it makes perfect sense

+1

Hello all,

Pulling through while inverted also gives you 'God's G', i.e. gravity's 1G to add to the G you put on the aircraft.

Good hunting,

CFC_Conky

It's all about angle of attack. High enough angle of attack will overrule the airfoil (why airfoil doesn't necessarily matter).

Edited by e345spd

Yes this is a good explanation. Also, someone mentioned the carb cutting out when upside down. The AI may be maintaining just enough force to prevent the carb float from flopping towards earth gravity. It doesn't necessarily take much and it might be pretty subtle from an external point of view.

The AI in RoF do this sort of thing as well (annoys the hell out of me), but seeing as this is multiplayer, I don't know why they'd do it. Maybe they were just showing off? :)

Seen that in WT quite often and always wondered why people shkwed that behaviour until I noticed the Ai doing exactly the same, means rolling inverted and pushing the crap out of their plane.

Somehow I feel sry for those guys for their need to copy Ai moves (due to lack of air combat knowledge or expirience) and expect it to work out.

the best counter way is to aim a little bit lower than the inverted Yak, then pull the trigger and move the cross hair up to cover this sitting duck, he has nowhere to evade. :P

Edited by III/JG2Gustav05

I suppose they could going inverted to fool you that they are about to pull into the dive, then push stick forwards instead to climb - somewhat inefficiently - and hope that you are left dazed and confused by their cunning plan and lose sight of them below (above?) your engine. If it works they can then pull into the dive on your tail. Or they could just be panicking! 

LOL :lol:  

I love that of all things, opening flaps can be a rude thing to do :)

Pretty sure their engines should cut out completely. 

Every time I see a Yak they're flying with full flaps, even when they're not turning, it looks silly.

LOL :lol:  

I have obviously struck a chord here! I was thinking of opening the flaps as being the MP equivalent of mooning, the cockpit being a bit cramped to do it the conventional way. ;)

I have obviously struck a chord here! I was thinking of opening the flaps as being the MP equivalent of mooning, the cockpit being a bit cramped to do it the conventional way. ;)

The closest thig to a F U in the face!

Flaps and zigzagging in front of the enemy with a taunting attitude.

:lol:

I have obviously struck a chord here!

ugly.gif

The yak will cut out after flying inverted

While we are at it, where there any russian attempts in WW2 at a direct injection engine?

While we are at it, where there any russian attempts in WW2 at a direct injection engine?

Which brings up another question I just made at another post - about the relation between MP and Prop RPM on the I-16, and  guess, the Yak-1 and the LagG and the La5....

On any of these aircraft I am unable to notice the typical MP increase when, even on the ground during the runup tests, I cycle the prop rpm lever and notice no variation in MP, or as in flight, at low power settings, as I reduce throttle the Prop RPMs follow it and the way around ?

The Ash-82 FN variant had direct injection and it was used in the La-5FN and La-7 (and some other planes/prototypes).

The Ash-82 FN variant had direct injection and it was used in the La-5FN and La-7 (and some other planes/prototypes).

Ah, very good. Thank you!