Sign in to follow this  
carve_gybe

IL-2 BOS vs DCS

Does anyone fly both IL-2 BOS and DCS?

How do they compare? 

I only returned recently to flight sims after decades of non-play. Things have surely changed since my F-15 Strike Eagle plane was able to fly straight up from take off to 80,000 feet....and landings were made by flying over a triangle on the ground...

I just learned about the existence of DCS and wonder if I should try it. I don't have a lot of spare time and my biggest fear is that I'll get addicted and cause my wife to boot me out with my PC and joystick...

I understand the high-level difference between the two, but more specifically how do they compare in terms of:

- flight modelling

- immersion

- learning curve

- difficulty

Thanks!

Carve

It is, specially when EDGE becomes available.

Both are excellent sims ( flight dynamics wise...), include aircraft models that do not ( so far ) intercept :-), so you can have the best of the two Worlds using them both...

And RoF too ;-)

Of course, DCS doesn't ( yet ) include proper ww2 scenery / AI on ground, etc....

Edited by jcomm

Sorry, I just realised this topic is discussed here: http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/8092-how-does-dcs-compare-bos/page-3

My impression from reading the above thread is that DCS is not a good option for dogfighting WWII planes. Would anyone disagree?

Hard to answer. I'm playing the DCS WWII planes almost daily in multiplayer, and never had more fun in a flightsim before. But it's still a long way to until it will be a proper WWII sim. DCS WWII has problems with plane visibility and lack of proper scenario/AI units, but the flight model is making up for this.

You can also download DCS for free and try the unarmed TF-51 Mustang, it gives you a good impression of the difficulty and learning curve.

Edited by nirvi

I understand the high-level difference between the two, but more specifically how do they compare in terms of:

- flight modelling

- immersion

- learning curve

- difficulty

BoS and DCS are the best combat flight sims on the market today for certain. It's worth checking out Rise of Flight too, also by 1CGS. Battle of Stalingrad is based upon the same game engine and RoF has seen many more years of development, it's very good. RoF has a free demo version. DCS is free to try out as well.

My two cents on your criteria:

- flight modeling. Both are excellent. BoS has a little edge here as all the aircraft, including the AI share the same FM but both are very good in this area.

- immersion. I would give this one to BoS currently as DCS depending on which era you like doesn't have a period environment for some aircraft like WWII or Korean War jets. The modern aircraft have a good map and there are more in the works including Normany 1944, Persian Gulf and Nevada. DCS is really a different type of flight sim in that it focuses on individual planes in detail wheras BoS has many with simpler systems. If "immersion" to you means recreating air warfare of a particular period with lots of combat aircraft, BoS does this better for WWII at the moment.

- learning curve

DCS is steep depending on the plane. The A-10C is fully complex enough to serve as an actual desktop PC trainer for the Air National Guard and has a 671 page manual. The WWII planes have manuals of about 180 pages. The FM and handling of the aircraft in both is such that you should be prepared to put many hours of practice in on them. BoS is a bit less steep on the curve because you only control the major systems in the planes instead of every switch.

- difficulty

Both games have good manuals and well thought out GUIs so for "difficulty" I'd rank them even.

DCS WWII has problems with plane visibility

I'm not sure why DCS WWII keeps getting a rep in this department. The level of clarity and detail there are as good as most other flight sims. True, the modern air combat pushes ranges that strain the use of a PC monitor to depict. There's a new feature coming that will add a form of icon to prevent aircraft from becoming smaller than a pixel. But at the combat range of WWII I can't see it making much difference for that era, I imagine it being more useful for the modern stuff. Edited by SharpeXB
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure why DCS WWII keeps getting a rep in this department. The level of clarity and detail there are as good as most other flight sims. True, the modern air combat pushes ranges that strain the use of a PC monitor to depict. There's a new feature coming that will add a form of icon to prevent aircraft from becoming smaller than a pixel. But at the combat range of WWII I can't see it making much difference for that era, I imagine it being more useful for the modern stuff.

Compared to all other sims, visibilty in DCS is by far the worst. We can't fly loose formations because planes will vanish within a few hundred meters.

I'm really looking forward to the new model visibility feature, it will make a great difference to now, dogfighting will be so much better with it.

Edited by nirvi

There are many flight sims that are good . try them all some are free .

DCS ~ free

ROF ~ free

Cliffs of Dover ~ £10.00

IL-2 ~ 1946 ~ https://www.gog.com/game/il_2_sturmovik_1946

Il-2 BOS

Wings over flanders .

Top three i think ...........oh four ...

BOS.

Cliffs

DCS.

ROF.

I play both games but DCS is absolutely not a WW2 sim. A simple side by side comparison of core features should show you what I mean. So:

IL2 has:

1) 11 flyable aircraft including 2 bombers and 2 attackers + 1 AI only

2) Appropriate map

3) Appropriate ground/naval units

4) Same FM and DM for both players and AI

5) Highly advanced FM and DM

6) Decent graphics (textures a little low res, but the rest is fine)

7) Decent spotting/tracking out to about 4-5km on a 1080p monitor

8) Mission editor is an external program and not user friendly

DCS WW2 offers:

1) 3 flyable WW2 aircraft, no additional AI only

2) No period ground/naval units

3) No period map

4) Manual engine startup via clickable cockpit and/or shortcuts

5) Automated startup like IL2

6) Decent player FM's but still fall short of BoS's FM's

7) Poor damage modeling for player aircraft

8) Hilariously bad FM and DM for AI aircraft

9) Planes vanish from the screen at about 1km on a standard 1080p monitor

10) A user friendly mission editor built into the game

That's not to say DCS is bad, it's just bad at WW2. Where it shines is with jet aircraft from 1970 onwards. The bad AI FM/DM is still an issue but it's less noticeable. The other issues don't exist since the game's AI units are all centered around 1970 to 2015. I play DCS regularly, probably more than I play IL2. But when I'm playing DCS I'm flying a Ka-50, MiG-21 or A-10. You might even see me in an F-86 or MiG-15 from time to time. But you won't see me in any WW2 aircraft there even though I have all 3 of them (wanted to compare FM's to BoS so I bought them dirt cheap during a flash sale).

Edited by King_Hrothgar
  • Upvote 2

I've only tried out DCS a few times. Mostly due to the near vertical learning curve.

I generally like the concept of a study sim, where litterally every single function of the cockpit is modelled in detail, and DCS delivers that.

However, it is far from being able to offer an immersive historical WW2 experience, it is far too lacking in relevant content for that. Atm there are 3 fighters to fly which sorta fit a late 1944 timeframe, but there is no map, nor any ground objects or AI planes to build realistic scenarios on. It will be years (if ever) before DCS is a proper historical WW2 sim.

Also: I honestly find DCS' graphics outside the cockpit massively disappointing. A lot of it looks like a slightly brushed-up version of IL21946. EDGE will propably go a long way improving this, but it still remains to be seen, and EDGE most likely won't get a public release at least for another year (Alpha has been delayed countless times)

On the other hand we have BoS/BoM which doesn't offer quite the same depth as DCS as far as avionics and other systems go, but which still offers a very nice and realistic flight model, great damage model and much better graphics overall (cockpit excluded - DCS has by far the best pits)

BoS/BoM also offers tons of content compared to DCS in terms of a fitting set of flyable WW2 planes, maps and objects. Where BoS/BoM lacks is in the single player experience with only a rudimentary campaign and (as of yet) no third party alternative outside of some 'mini campaigns' consisting of strings of single missions.

The one thing that makes me say without a doubt, that BoS/BoM is by far the best hope of a new great WW2 sim is: The development team.

Yes, they have made some strange design decisions along the way (and have stuck to them for far too long) but in general they are the most responsive communicating and hard working sim developers I've ever seen. Just take a look at what they have created in just a couple of years and how much they have improved the sim just since launch little over half a year ago.

For a flight sim developer, they work pretty damn fast too. By early next year we'll have 20 flyable planes, 3 great maps and some smaller ones available in 3 different seasons, 2 campaigns and likely a 3rd party campaign/career based on PWCG from RoF plus whatever improvements to the sim gets thrown in along the way. What other modern flight sim can claim that kind of progress in less than 3 years of development?

• Upvote 4

Interesting stuff.

There seems to be some consent that early jets are nice to try on DCS. When I was growing up I regularly heard MIG-21s breaking the sound barrier on training flights. That alone may be enough for me to give DCS a try. I still remember the propaganda-rich radio announcement when the air force of my country acquired the MIG-21s for the first time...they said spoke of delivery of a modern fighter capable of locating and destroying the F-16.... 

Capability is one thing, probability is another... but that's propaganda for you!

Anyway, back to WWII...thanks for all the insight. Sounds like I will be spending most of my time in my Lagg-3   :)

Carve

DCS if moer like a pure platform for bigger projects. It's awesome as a base but lacks without more (WW2) content. Some good (but not perfect) aspects of DCS compared to BoS is it's (pure) FMs. Aircrafts have a more realistic feel and handle more predictable but also difficult. The variety of systems DCS can be modeled is another strongpoint beating BoS hands down. Also DM is more complex but at the same time not as well coded, especially talking about physical damage modeling. BoS on the other hand feautures the most realistic physical weather simulation I've expirienced in a flight sim which enhences the feel of flight way moer than DCS does.

So for those who enjoy fully operating one authenticly modeled WW2 aircraft in a random envirounment DCS is definetly more attracting. BoS on the other hand lures with better graphics, a much more solid base with a variety of WW2 aircraft, maps and scenarios. What BoS lacks most atm in my opinion is attention to FMs (some still have their child sicknesses from Alpha) and more options for players to make the game more suitable for everyone. There are also some issues with controls, performance ect which require more optimisation. But overall it is solid with the content it has, even though it still doesn't lose the impression of being uncomplete.

Personally I enjoy firing up DCS for short flyouts with my 109 or P-51 when I'm more interested in realistic flying but play BoS if I want to fly in a solid WW2 multiplayer sim that still has some attracting fidelity. My advise is to try both sometime, but save your opinion until ED published DCS 2.0 with EDGE which puts DCS on a new level.

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 2

Hey carve_gybe - windsurfer, eh?

I have DCS, CoD and Il2BoS..... I haven't touched 2 of them for months and play Il2BoS daily. IF BoS was gone I would then choose CoD purely for the MP and the ww2 arena.

DCS makes me feel like I am flying at an airshow with shitty environment graphics.

BoS is one of the only games where you take off and you actually feel like you could be in the air above russia in '42, its just that good.

• Upvote 1

The one thing that makes me say without a doubt, that BoS/BoM is by far the best hope of a new great WW2 sim is: The development team.

Yes, they have made some strange design decisions along the way (and have stuck to them for far too long) but in general they are the most responsive communicating and hard working sim developers I've ever seen. Just take a look at what they have created in just a couple of years and how much they have improved the sim just since launch little over half a year ago.

For a flight sim developer, they work pretty damn fast too. By early next year we'll have 20 flyable planes, 3 great maps and some smaller ones available in 3 different seasons, 2 campaigns and likely a 3rd party campaign/career based on PWCG from RoF plus whatever improvements to the sim gets thrown in along the way. What other modern flight sim can claim that kind of progress in less than 3 years of development?

Couldn't agree more!

• Upvote 2

Couldn't agree more!

Agreed ~  just look at the latest update , with sweetFx looks lovely . i am hoping for a two stage trigger , mini map in expert like ROF one  . MY new SSD has just turned up ..whooop !!!!

I have both. In DCS I really like Mig 15 and Mig 21 because of it´s complexity and super detailed cockpits, but the background looks a little bit curtly for my taste. Only in Bos there is a really pleasure to fly amazing planes just for fun and in beautiful environment. At this moment I slighty prefer BoS. S  :pilot:

Compared to all other sims, visibilty in DCS is by far the worst. We can't fly loose formations because planes will vanish within a few hundred meters.I'm really looking forward to the new model visibility feature, it will make a great difference to now, dogfighting will be so much better with it.

This subject is veering off topic and has already been discussed to death on the ED forum. Plus they've already announced what they will and won't do to improve it. So it's moot at this point.

But even as the game engine is now, there's not as much trouble as some people complain about. If you can't see other aircraft within a few hundred meters there's something wrong with your hardware, gameplay style or expectations. And the solution they're proposing isn't probably going to affect objects that close to you. The "problem" here seems that too many players are used to solutions from the CRT era of flight sims, particularly this "smart scaling" feature in Falcon or old IL-2 that just made the LoDs larger. That's not used in BoS nor will it be in DCSW 2.0 either as it's not a good solution. Then there's hardware. One person complaining about not being able to see another aircraft in formation wasn't even using a 1080p monitor.

Here's a screenshot from the current game on all High settings. This is "dogfighting range" Nothing wrong with seeing the other aircraft here. Now this is actually in UHD but if you look at it on a 1080p screen you're seeing 1080p

If you want the other aircraft to be easier seen than this, turn on the labels. And the "Model Visibility" setting that they're talking about, I can't imagine it being used at a range like this where the models are already visible.

PS and like most all screenshots this one doesn't look as good as what you actually see on your screen. The real gameplay looks even better.

post-1189-0-12612100-1436795554_thumb.jpg

Edited by SharpeXB

Here's a screenshot from the current game on all High settings. This is "dogfighting range" Nothing wrong with seeing the other aircraft here. Now this is actually in UHD but if you look at it on a 1080p screen you're seeing 1080p

And there are plenty videos showing planes disappear out of view at those ranges. Depends on the aspect angle.

Anyway, this'll be a dead discussion once DCS 2 is released.

If everything was fine right now, they wouldn't be introducing the model visibility setting. 

Edited by Lacost
  • Upvote 1

And there are plenty videos showing planes disappear out of view at those ranges. Depends on the aspect angle.

Anyway, this'll be a dead discussion once DCS 2 is released.

If everything was fine right now, they wouldn't be introducing the model visibility setting.

The trouble with videos is that they're always compressed compared to the real game.

Even my own here. This is done without icons and I didn't have too much trouble tracking this bandit. He is easily seen here even against the ground and even looking at a compressed video. I do actually lose him at one point but that always happens. Even in BoS.

This is all High settings and 1080p. Agree this whole point is moot now that EDGE is coming. But I also can't see the "Model Visibility" setting coming into play at this range.

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Upvote 1

Sorry, I just realised this topic is discussed here: http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/8092-how-does-dcs-compare-bos/page-3

My impression from reading the above thread is that DCS is not a good option for dogfighting WWII planes. Would anyone disagree?

I would.. I think they are apples and oranges. When it comes to the pure dogfighting DCS is not bad.. I like BoS better... but DCS is not bad and if you can catch it on sale it is worth the effort and the cost.

The future of ww2 in DCS EDGE...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqsW5ibzgfU#t=13

I wouldn't go that far.. but I think that DCS is definitely going to be a player in the future of WWII flight sims.

I think that both products are good and they are different enough to have their own place. At the moment pound for pound between the two I would say that BoS is the better product.

• Upvote 1

I think the reason people have difficulty "spotting" in DCS is that it's a difficult game to run on its highest settings. It probably requires a GTX780Ti or better in order to enable high antialiasing and HDR and get a constant 60fps. That's the key to really sharp graphics and being able to see small objects. EDGE not only looks better but it will hopefully be easier for hardware to run better.

• Upvote 1

Interesting discussion with many good points raised.  I have both sims and agree that BOS and DCS are the leaders in the WW2 flight sim market.  I like both and use them equally.  For players new to the genre, BOS is no doubt the best way to go.  Good plane set, easier learning curve, a complete package.

DCS has a more difficult learning curve but, for many of us, there is a lot of satisfaction in that.  More challenging flight model, particularly taking-off and landing.  I really enjoy the quality of the "light" in DCS, it looks more life-like than BOS IMHO.  BOS looks more like a very good interpretation and I look forward to the summer maps to have a fairer comparison.  Having said that, I agree with the general comment that spotting aircraft is a lot more difficult in DCS and aircraft can flicker in and out, even at reasonable ranges.  BOS is the best bar none in this regard, a big plus. 

I tend to think DCS needs a better quality PC to run well than BOS, do not have a benchmark for this, just an opinion.

Which one is best depends on your level of experience with flight sims, your PC specs, flight sim equipment, what blend of online and SP play you enjoy and level of enthusiasm for WW2 flight sims in particular. 

• Upvote 1

DCS has great interactive tutorials for basic procedures, to get into the combat side more you need to study though. In terms of gameplay It's more geared towards helos, the FC3 heavy metal and the A-10 than anything else.

I've only flown the P-51 in it and it's fun to learn about the machine but the FM seems to be very wobbly and floaty, the nose is always oscillating around like you're flying through elastic as soon as you maneuver out of trim and it's incredibly hard to stabilize. Consequently accurate gunnery is almost impossible, even with the K-14. The audio feedback you get in flight is primitive compared to BoS so that makes flying all the harder. I just don't find it very convincing, I would have to be a very clumsy person to make an aircraft behave like the P-51 in DCS does. It gets better with practice but the lack of audio and visual feedback makes smooth flying hard unless you stare at the instruments all the time.

I didn't like the axis assignment or the editing interface for controls, the categories make no sense and controls are hard to find. The lack of any real content in terms of missions makes doing anything other than flying the P-51 for educational purposes a dead loss to me. Multiplayer is broken, I can't even log in let alone find a server. DCS looks and sounds pretty bleh for 2015, good luck figuring out the GUI to edit your loadout and skin but when you do it gives you some good information and the options are more in line with real aviation. 

tl;dr

If you want a low poly educational experience, DCS is for you. If you want to have fun in a WW2 period environment that feels vastly more convincing, fly BoS.

DCS has great interactive tutorials for basic procedures, to get into the combat side more you need to study though. In terms of gameplay It's more geared towards helos, the FC3 heavy metal and the A-10 than anything else.

I've only flown the P-51 in it and it's fun to learn about the machine but the FM seems to be very wobbly and floaty, the nose is always oscillating around like you're flying through elastic as soon as you maneuver out of trim and it's incredibly hard to stabilize. Consequently accurate gunnery is almost impossible, even with the K-14. The audio feedback you get in flight is primitive compared to BoS so that makes flying all the harder. I just don't find it very convincing, I would have to be a very clumsy person to make an aircraft behave like the P-51 in DCS does. It gets better with practice but the lack of audio and visual feedback makes smooth flying hard unless you stare at the instruments all the time.

I didn't like the axis assignment or the editing interface for controls, the categories make no sense and controls are hard to find. The lack of any real content in terms of missions makes doing anything other than flying the P-51 for educational purposes a dead loss to me. Multiplayer is broken, I can't even log in let alone find a server. DCS looks and sounds pretty bleh for 2015, good luck figuring out the GUI to edit your loadout and skin but when you do it gives you some good information and the options are more in line with real aviation. 

tl;dr

If you want a low poly educational experience, DCS is for you. If you want to have fun in a WW2 period environment that feels vastly more convincing, fly BoS.

There are at least 3 servers where you can enjoy some excellent moments of online ww2 dogfights and missions, even if the scenery down bellow doesn't match.... 

The P51d flight dynamics are probably the most advanced ever created for a PC-based flightsim. The Fw190 follows, and the 109 K4 is getting there ( still in beta! )

Then, leaving the ww2 theatre, when it comes to rotary wing, nothing, simply NOTHING, matches the level of accuracy and detail offered by DCS.

• Upvote 1

I own both, but I never really got into DCS. I agree that the FM-s are very detailed, and it's second to none when it comes to system modelling. If you know how to fire up the DCS Mustang, you can fire up a real one.

The thing is, the graphics are a generation behind BoS IMO, and the performance is still worse. Also, I don't get that feeling of flight in DCS that I get in BoS.In DCS planes feel quite unnatural and wobbly, and the weapons modelling also leaves something to be desired.

The biggest factor is the lack of content in DCS. For me, flying a super-accurate P-51 over Kazahstan stops being fun after 5 minutes.

I sometimes find it a pity that we cannot operate everything in BoS, but I understand the need for a workaround. Actually it would be great if we had the same level of details like in DCS with the option of just pressing a "Start Engine" button and have it done automatically.

love dcs for their heli  stuff, we still waiting on new engine so...., have sabre  etc..

I sometimes find it a pity that we cannot operate everything in BoS, but I understand the need for a workaround. Actually it would be great if we had the same level of details like in DCS with the option of just pressing a "Start Engine" button and have it done automatically.

Agree, but this is another one of those instances, where I think the future looks bright.

Remember: The startup procedure we have now wasn't always there. It was introduced relative late in early access. Before that you'd just press a button, and the engine would fire up immediately.

I don't think the devs would add a fully modelled startup procedure complete with sounds and animations for all aircraft, just to have it remain on automatic for all time. (and it is fully modelled evidenced by the fact that the automatic startup can actually fail from time to time, especially if the engine is cold)

I truly believe that things like manual full startup procedure, fuel management etc. are things the devs really wanna do somewhere down the road, but they understand, that they have to keep producing content for the game while working on these things. They can't afford to get bogged down in detail work that'll usually be released as free updates. They have to sell stuff and produce new content for the sim to stay fresh.

I'll keep my fingers crossed - but I doubt it will happen. It was a huge plus for me when these procedures were implemented, but I don't believe they will develop clickable cockpits and/or add 30+ more key assignments. I wish they did though...

I just installed some textures and other mods for DCS and flew a few training missions. 

It looks a lot better with mod textures and Diveplane's sound mod improves that aspect (especially the P-51, his mod makes it sound awesome)

There are at least 3 servers where you can enjoy some excellent moments of online ww2 dogfights and missions, even if the scenery down bellow doesn't match.... 

The P51d flight dynamics are probably the most advanced ever created for a PC-based flightsim. The Fw190 follows, and the 109 K4 is getting there ( still in beta! )

Then, leaving the ww2 theatre, when it comes to rotary wing, nothing, simply NOTHING, matches the level of accuracy and detail offered by DCS.

How do you even get into a server if you can't login?

I'm sure the flight model is very advanced, it is most convincing on landing but in combat flight keeping the nose steady is a nightmare! I don;t understand why the default sensitivity is so high, I would need to have a stick that is 1:1 scale to the real P-51 for the default config to make sense. The game knows what stick I am using, I can see that in the config, so why does it not alter the curves to a more sensible ratio? The dimensions of both the real stick and my joystick are known so it should be a pretty straightforward algorithm, that is what I would do anyway. It's more the lack of feedback that makes it feel unconvincing, visually DCS is good enough and the FM is great but in BoS you can fly with your ears. If you dive at 650kph in a 109 you really know about it, same thing on approach, you can tell by the sound if you are too slow (and in RoF too). This is a big part of real flying and it should be improved in DCS, especially since we are deprived of being able to fly with the feeling from the seat of our pants.

I tried a gunnery tutorial and on my first try I actually ran out of fuel in my left wing tank before bringing down a drone P-51 that was just making gentle turns! My next attempts went better and I found that it's pretty good in the gunnery respect, when you hit at convergence range with 6 .50's it pretty much cuts the target plane in half but you can only do this by breathing on the stick instead of trying to move it with your hand. I'd say it's very realistic (Except that the AI drones maintain a steady 320mph and still fly just as efficiently 

after severe damage) 

I truly believe that things like manual full startup procedure, fuel management etc. are things the devs really wanna do somewhere down the road, but they understand, that they have to keep producing content for the game while working on these things. They can't afford to get bogged down in detail work that'll usually be released as free updates. They have to sell stuff and produce new content for the sim to stay fresh.

I seriously doubt 1CGS would ever add full systems control to the BoS/BoM aircraft. It makes developing the planes too expensive. Remember DCS planes cost nearly as much for one plane as for this entire game. DCS is really a different type of flight sim than BoS. It's great to have both options though.

I've only flown the P-51 in it and it's fun to learn about the machine but the FM seems to be very wobbly and floaty, the nose is always oscillating around like you're flying through elastic as soon as you maneuver out of trim and it's incredibly hard to stabilize.

In other words, it flies just like a real P-51D

Personally I don't have any problems with the aiming the P-51.

It has greater issues like killing frames when you squirt a burst of 6 * 50s (though that looks to be fixed in EDGE).

Not being able to log onto multiplayer is on your end.

No problems aiming huh? 

You must be really SH.  :rolleyes:

Aiming in the Mustang is no problem, you just need enough practice. You need a lot of flight time until you can takeoff, land, fight and kill without much problems. 

Regarding your multiplayer problem: Have you created an account here before trying to login?

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/auth/?register=yes

Whow!  Superb footage t4trouble!!!

Was it me in one of those K4 ???  :angry:

Edited by jcomm

I'll keep my fingers crossed - but I doubt it will happen. It was a huge plus for me when these procedures were implemented, but I don't believe they will develop clickable cockpits and/or add 30+ more key assignments. I wish they did though...

I'm absolutely sure we won't get clickpits (thank Buddha, I hate clickpits with a passion)

However, I can totally see them making the startup procedure manual at some point. They have already modelled the systems and animations. It 'just' requires modelling the effects of mishandling the controls (which I know is no small feat in itself)

Assigning the 15 - 20 keys needed will be the easiest part.

I seriously doubt 1CGS would ever add full systems control to the BoS/BoM aircraft. It makes developing the planes too expensive. Remember DCS planes cost nearly as much for one plane as for this entire game. DCS is really a different type of flight sim than BoS. It's great to have both options though.

I never said that I think we'll have all systems modelled like in DCS. I just said, that I think we might see the systems that are already modelled but are currently on automatic get manual control at some point. These include the startup procedure and fuel tank management (both are fully modelled for all planes already we just can't control them) For instance: In flight you can see the computer switching back and forth between fuel tanks, just like you have to do in DCS. Fuel consumption from individual tanks is already modelled, as is the consequence of an improperly balanced fuel load on FM, which can be felt, when you have a leaking wing tank. There's no reason why this couldn't be made a manual control at some point.

Other systems like radios bombsights etc. will likely never be fully modelled and will remain simplified, which is absolutely fine. BoS willnever reach quite the detail level of DCS and neither should it.

Edited by Finkeren

The automatics for everything, provided nonetheless the systems are modeled, more or less accurately, aren't a problem for me...

The NORMAL mode though is a bit "arcadish", and I prefer to make the engine management myself.

But what I would like to have more detailed are aspects like being able to fly undefinitely upside down in the Bf109 or the Fw190, when, not because of the carburetor, but rather because f the oil systems, their real counterparts would quit...

Overall I like BoS's feel of flight, feel of being there, and the visual perspective we get when looking around in the cockpit, specially when searching for foes... In DCS there is a huge distortion when Zoom is used...

like for instance in this great video of a Bf109K4 vs P51d... starting around 03:00

Edited by jcomm