REDFOX-WL-GAGARIN

WINGS OF LIBERTY - subject for questions and offers

Look, if you are able to stick your head outside the cockpit of the aircraft and peer around the tail or the razorback, that simply is not fair to other players.  I fly with a guy who uses VR, and it's my understanding that it took a little getting used to having to turn his whole body around, but after a while with it, he now spots better than anyone.  I think he holds on to the armrests or something in order to more easily turn his torso around.  So I think you have to just accept it how it is, or else go back to using a screen.  I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, I just think that if other people can learn to not only be comfortable with VR, but even excel with it, so can you.

Edited by SeaSerpent

9 minutes ago, SeaSerpent said:

Look, if you are able to stick your head outside the cockpit of the aircraft and peer around the tail or the razorback, that simply is not fair to other players.  I fly with a guy who uses VR, and it's my understanding that it took a little getting used to having to turn his whole body around, but after a while with it, he now spots better than anyone.  I think he holds on to the armrests or something in order to more easily turn his torso around.  So I think you have to just accept it how it is, or else go back to using a screen.  I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, I just think that if other people can learn to not only be comfortable with VR, but even excel with it, so can you.

Checking your six in VR is difficult.  Spotting is also no picnic.  TrackIr is the easiest mode.  you can go from full forward to rear view with very little head movement.  We use VR not because it's easier, but because it's fun and immersive.  Not sure how much sticking my head out of an I-16 open cockpit is really cheating.

I have used VR for a year now (Rift). Going to piss some people off but I believe the limit is a good thing and it certainly hasn't hampered me. I'm glad WOL has it on. I manage to look around plenty. Want your head out side the plane -- suggest opening the canopy then it is easy or fly the I-16.

I turned it off once just to see what the difference it made and what the fuss was about. Leaned over and stuck right through the side of the cockpit. That was a really odd feeling. Amazing people want that. Often there is massive debate on the forums over a couple of KPH one way or another as an example, yet we have other people wanting to be able shove their head right through the side of their aircraft. That certainly isn't as "REAL" as the limit. Nothing is perfect and I know the limit is not perfect either. My head never passed  through to the outside of the plane when I was using LED tracking (FreeTrack & OpenTrack). Amazing how much of the "I want, I want" there is going on.

I'll hush now that just I've reminded myself that a fair portion of sim players have complaining about something they want as an additional hobby.

9 minutes ago, woodrowwilson_pr said:

Checking your six in VR is difficult.  Spotting is also no picnic.  TrackIr is the easiest mode.  you can go from full forward to rear view with very little head movement.  We use VR not because it's easier, but because it's fun and immersive.  Not sure how much sticking my head out of an I-16 open cockpit is really cheating.

Yeah this is pointless dude. I am done.

3 minutes ago, HansBlitz said:

I have used VR for a year now (Rift). Going to piss some people off but I believe the limit is a good thing and it certainly hasn't hampered me. I'm glad WOL has it on. I manage to look around plenty. Want your head out side the plane -- suggest opening the canopy then it is easy or fly the I-16.

I turned it off once just to see what the difference it made and what the fuss was about. Leaned over and stuck right through the side of the cockpit. That was a really odd feeling. Amazing people want that. Often there is massive debate on the forums over a couple of KPH one way or another as an example, yet we have other people wanting to be able shove their head right through the side of their aircraft. That certainly isn't as "REAL" as the limit. Nothing is perfect and I know the limit is not perfect either. My head never passed  through to the outside of the plane when I was using LED tracking (FreeTrack & OpenTrack). Amazing how much of the "I want, I want" there is going on.

I'll hush now that just I've reminded myself that a fair portion of sim players have complaining about something they want as an additional hobby.

So not being able to see your full gunsight is totally ok? In more than half the planes if you open the cockpit while flying with the limiter on you cannot put your head outside. But you knew that already since you fly in VR so much. So me complaining about one fucking thing on a game I've spent over 300 dollars on makes me a fucking whiner. Good stuff. Again this will be my last post on the subject. You guys win. 

Edited by JonRedcorn

I have noticed my head doesn't seem to go as far outside with canopy open while in the air (not as far as during tax). I seem get outside a bit as I am able to see down along either side of the nose better than with the canopy closed - again I will agree that it isn't as much as while on the ground. I also get a much better view toward checking 6 with the canopy open. I fly with canopy closed most of the time but do open it in certain situations then close again. Lone wolf flying I open it a lot more since I can see behind much better -- takes some twisting and effort. That works well for the aircraft the canopy slides back on -- bit of a bummer opening a 109's canopy in flight since it just would be ripped off the plane.

Checking 6 in VR is a lot of work. I guess that is part of why I find flying with it so rewarding when I do well. It has amazed me when I've thought about how it must have been in real life trying to look around and actually having the G's pulling on you - along with the being strapped in tight.

I've not had any issues I feel as far as gunsight viewing

Edited by HansBlitz

12 minutes ago, HansBlitz said:

I have noticed my head doesn't seem to go as far outside with canopy open while in the air (not as far as during tax). I seem get outside a bit as I am able to see down along either side of the nose better than with the canopy closed - again I will agree that it isn't as much as while on the ground. I also get a much better view toward checking 6 with the canopy open. I fly with canopy closed most of the time but do open it in certain situations then close again. Lone wolf flying I open it a lot more since I can see behind much better -- takes some twisting and effort. That works well for the aircraft the canopy slides back on -- bit of a bummer opening a 109's canopy in flight since it just would be ripped off the plane.

Checking 6 in VR is a lot of work. I guess that is part of why I find flying with it so rewarding when I do well. It has amazed me when I've thought about how it must have been in real life trying to look around and actually having the G's pulling on you - along with the being strapped in tight.

I've not had any issues I feel as far as gunsight viewing

It doesn't matter what you feel, the gunsight isn't fully visible with the current setup. You cannot see the outer ring at all. End of story. Go try for yourself. Or take somebodies word for it who's spent the last month and a half putting over 60 hours into the game in VR.

Well the 134 that I shot down in May (lots of hours = 67), the 73 downed in June, and current the 45 so far in July with just better than 4:1 K/D  in July mostly lone wolf flying this month as well -- all that is WOL stats --- Kind of makes me think the sight is ok. All that was done VR. Feel free to go look if you don't believe those numbers. I'm not anything special, If I can do it anyone likely could. There's likely people with VR doing better than I do.

Hint: aim with where cross hairs cross not the outer ring mentioned.

Sorry I can be a jerk at times and couldn't resist that. I only worry about the actual center of the site. I just sort of figure lead and even fire ahead of that --- kind of  - that looks right , then think shoot well ahead of that and do that = hits. I've been getting closer lately as well.

I'm also the one using VR, that Seasperent was talking about the spotting. @Seaserpent --- Thank you for your comment about my spotting. It's taken some getting there. I'm happy with how the VR is.

11 minutes ago, HansBlitz said:

Well the 134 that I shot down in May (lots of hours = 67), the 73 downed in June, and current the 45 so far in July with just better than 4:1 K/D  in July mostly lone wolf flying this month as well -- all that is WOL stats --- Kind of makes me think the sight is ok. All that was done VR. Feel free to go look if you don't believe those numbers. I'm not anything special, If I can do it anyone likely could. There's likely people with VR doing better than I do.

Hint: aim with where cross hairs cross not the outer ring mentioned.

Sorry I can be a jerk at times and couldn't resist that. I only worry about the actual center of the site. I just sort of figure lead and even fire ahead of that --- kind of  - that looks right , then think shoot well ahead of that and do that = hits. I've been getting closer lately as well.

I'm also the one using VR, that Seasperent was talking about the spotting. @Seaserpent --- Thank you for your comment about my spotting. It's taken some getting there. I'm happy with how the VR is.

Again I do not care how you feel or perceive the sight to be. In reality, you use the rings to do proper deflection shooting. If you cannot see the outer rings then you cannot do proper deflection shooting. I am unsure what's so hard for you to wrap your head around this. I have proven you wrong twice now. But please continue with the insults.

Also think I am doing just fine in VR thanks. Wanting a better experience doesn't mean I can't fly with the way it is.

http://il2stat.aviaskins.com:8008/en/pilot/14573/JonRedcorn/?tour=37

As you can see in this video you cannot see the outer rings of the weapon site.

Edited by JonRedcorn

Not sure what you mean by proved wrong. I didn't say the view was a exactly perfect - just that I don't see an issue with the sight and was meaning hitting stuff with it . I didn't say I saw that outer ring. My numbers prove a person can score plenty using the sight as is. I'm not using outer ring and do well enough to be happy. High angle shots don't have to be point blank either.

Yes VR is is not perfect. That shouldn't keep us from scoring hits with what we have in VR. My stats weren't where they are now in the beginning - VR only since last July. I still hope you can not get too hung up on the outer ring. Stay at it, I have hopes you could get happier with your shooting. We have what we have and who knows if that get some change at some point. I plan on enjoying what we have.

I wish people wouldn't get so hung up on things. Plenty of amazing accurate details in all this. This dev team has produced the flight sim I that enjoy the most of any I've had and have done flight sims many many years (I'm not young). I've dreamed of VR for many years and am very very happy with it. I also do program software  (not this kind though), so understand what the dev team is up against or at least somewhat. No dev team will ever do everything exactly perfect. This team really does amazingly well and the pace they do it at make that more so -- yes I know there are bugs here and there. Heard once that programming is the art of writing bugs in software (funny to me but maybe not people who don't program). I haven't flown VR in every sim out there that allows that. In spite of that I believe that every bit I've spent on this sim is some of the best money I've spent (have all except the JU-52 and could end up with it as well). I currently don't know of any other sim I would have spent the same amount on. There has been so much complaining lately on many threads but yes complaining is free though and some appear to lose sight of the reality of the situation. I have no ties to the team, I just realize the size of the task they are working on and also not sure if I could be happier with what I've got with all this. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, HansBlitz said:

Not sure what you mean by proved wrong. I didn't say the view was a exactly perfect - just that I don't see an issue with the sight and was meaning hitting stuff with it . I didn't say I saw that outer ring. My numbers prove a person can score plenty using the sight as is. I'm not using outer ring and do well enough to be happy. High angle shots don't have to be point blank either.

Yes VR is is not perfect. That shouldn't keep us from scoring hits with what we have in VR. My stats weren't where they are now in the beginning - VR only since last July. I still hope you can not get too hung up on the outer ring. Stay at it, I have hopes you could get happier with your shooting. We have what we have and who knows if that get some change at some point. I plan on enjoying what we have.

I wish people wouldn't get so hung up on things. Plenty of amazing accurate details in all this. This dev team has produced the flight sim I that enjoy the most of any I've had and have done flight sims many many years (I'm not young). I've dreamed of VR for many years and am very very happy with it. I also do program software  (not this kind though), so understand what the dev team is up against or at least somewhat. No dev team will ever do everything exactly perfect. This team really does amazingly well and the pace they do it at make that more so -- yes I know there are bugs here and there. Heard once that programming is the art of writing bugs in software (funny to me but maybe not people who don't program). I haven't flown VR in every sim out there that allows that. In spite of that I believe that every bit I've spent on this sim is some of the best money I've spent (have all except the JU-52 and could end up with it as well). I currently don't know of any other sim I would have spent the same amount on. There has been so much complaining lately on many threads but yes complaining is free though and some appear to lose sight of the reality of the situation. I have no ties to the team, I just realize the size of the task they are working on and also not sure if I could be happier with what I've got with all this. 

Alright.

The Founder's skin for the Bf-109 F-4, and the Tovarisch skin for the LaGG-3, are locked on WoL now. Why's that?

Edited by FFS_Cybermat47

I'm on the fence with the VR freelook. I have been flying IL2 in VR since the feature was released. I function fine without the head limits disabled. But I still find some of them frustrating at times. 

Do I think people would stick their head through the plane? I'd guess 95% wouldn't (it's uncomfortable and not easy to do), 4% would do it occasionally, not to gain an advantage but for humour on rare occasions, and 1% would abuse it. 

As it stands, you need external views turned on to allow it. Unfortunately that also has a small percentage of people that would abuse the external views to gain advantage. 

Head view limits just need more tweaking by the developers. I know they said no,  too hard.  But unfortunately it's the real solution. 

15 minutes ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

I'm on the fence with the VR freelook. I have been flying IL2 in VR since the feature was released. I function fine without the head limits disabled. But I still find some of them frustrating at times. 

Do I think people would stick their head through the plane? I'd guess 95% wouldn't (it's uncomfortable and not easy to do), 4% would do it occasionally, not to gain an advantage but for humour on rare occasions, and 1% would abuse it. 

As it stands, you need external views turned on to allow it. Unfortunately that also has a small percentage of people that would abuse the external views to gain advantage. 

Head view limits just need more tweaking by the developers. I know they said no,  too hard.  But unfortunately it's the real solution. 

I did not realize that currently for the limits to be disabled you need to have external views enabled. If that's the case then I will fully withdraw my complaint. It's unfortunate the answer we got from the devs on the situation.

9 часов назад, FFS_Cybermat47 сказал:

The Founder's skin for the Bf-109 F-4, and the Tovarisch skin for the LaGG-3, are locked on WoL now. Why's that?

It's work a lock of skin.