BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 102 - Discussion

Good to hear, wasn't sure if I was reading it right.

Just to avoid any possible confusion - I read BlackSix's reply to mean that the autumn map campaign will have 6 scripted missions (2 per chapter)and zero procedurally generated missions, then the later chapters will be as now with as many procedurally generated missions as you care to take, or need to open a chapter if you have not already done so.

The news about the campaign revisions is most welcome. This is the first time since Early Access that I've had the slightest interest in revisiting BoS.

The tank tracks look really cool, and from the way it looks it will appear to flatten the grass (really removing the sprites but still)?

That will be cool to see tank tracks on the terrain and also cutting through the grass sprites.

Yeah... hopefully they'll be able to crash through trees and buildings at some point :D

wow, 6 missions ? 

6?

6?!

Game of the year  ;)

They did say it was an experiment, so it's not surprising that at first there are only six missions.

Just to avoid any possible confusion - I read BlackSix's reply to mean that the autumn map campaign will have 6 scripted missions (2 per chapter)and zero procedurally generated missions, then the later chapters will be as now with as many procedurally generated missions as you care to take, or need to open a chapter if you have not already done so.

The new campaign will have 6 scripted missions (2 per chapter) AND usual procedurally generated missions.

They did say it was an experiment, so it's not surprising that at first there are only six missions.

I'm quite happy in fact,

Those are  hand crafted, believable missions.

And that could eventually bring back SP players.

The announcement to improve the campaign gives certainly many SPs back some hope. However, the way this should be done (2 handmade missions per chapter), is IMHO a patchwork. I appreciate the limited resources of 777 / 1C but why aren’t so outstanding mission experts as Juri_JS and Veteran66 involved in the creation of a historic campaign with scripted missions? Why aren’t the conditions created to take 3rd party add-on makers on board? Thousands of SPs, people like me, are eagerly waiting for it. They are willing to pay good money for such a product, as they did 12 years ago for the original IL-2 add-ons. These enthusiasts have not died in the meantime. They are still there.

• Upvote 4

I understand that the devs don't have the time and resources to create a traditionel static campaign. But what about giving us mission builders the possibility to create our own campaigns?

This requires much work from us in the GUI and a new parser etc. So it's not easy a small project for the team to do.

Although, it can be done by a third party kind of like PWCG. I'm still mulling over ideas. But of course I'll need a programmer.

Jason

This requires much work from us in the GUI and a new parser etc. So it's not easy a small project for the team to do.

Although, it can be done by a third party kind of like PWCG. I'm still mulling over ideas. But of course I'll need a programmer.

Jason

I hope that day comes.

The new campaign will have 6 scripted missions (2 per chapter) AND usual procedurally generated missions.

Great, that makes much more sense! I am looking forwards to seeing how it all fits together.

Jason

Personally I don't like the idea to turn single missions into campaigns by using a third party program. To some extent it's already possible with Lupson's BoS parser, but almost no one is doing it because it is too inconvenient to use a program for this task that runs outside of BoS.

If time and resources are a problem at the moment, I would suggest to postpone such a static campaign systems to the time after BoM has been released, but please don't make the mistake to completely omit it.

Edited by Juri_JS
  • Upvote 1

I find it's a great way to revisit the campaign. I like the mixture scripted missions + generated ones. But please, make the generated ones more enjoyable by not requiring the player to reach the exit point. As long as I'm not dead or captured I should be able to keep fighting. Thanks!

Great update.  The landscape looks very authentic.  So does the I-16 for that matter :)

Regarding the six missions.  It's a good start and I hope the experiment goes well.

I trust there will be more to it than a long, long briefing.  Unique radio messages and AI voicing will go a long way towards making the missions stand out.

For a further experiment, I would suggest moving the other campaign files out of the encrypted GTP file so they can be user-edited and improved upon to maximise enjoyment.  Better yet, reconsider the option of a Mods-on mode for BoS.

And please let us be able to replay those missions, once we completed them...

KV-1 lurking in the shadows of the mighty trees,behind bush,ready to ambush....gimme Il2-Sturmovik Ground Forces DLC :)

Eagerly waiting for my ishak to smash it against airstrip with my first landing (or take off :biggrin: )

And please let us be able to replay those missions, once we completed them...

AFAIK, you'll be able to replay those missions.

What about Velkiye Luki summer map , is there a chance we will get it sooner or do you want to keep summer reveal for the Stalingrad map.

Hi. About summer version of VL map.

We've no official plans to make Velikiye Luki summer map, but I'll try to finish this map in my free time.

33935271.jpg 33935101.jpg 33935071.jpg 33935111.jpg

• Upvote 18

colers look nice, you will change the Forest ground textures?

Holy Heck Zeus that looks AMAZING  :o:  :o:  :o:

Thanks for the information Zeus.

Thanks for working on summer Luki map in your free time, I hope you will be able to finish it and get it released.

Cheers

@zeus--:

Placement of woods and trees along roads and rivers look very organic. :)

@DendroAspis:

That picture of 5 models at Bondi Beach is a very well known one. Or better said a notorious one. For its clumsy photoshop.

Have a look at the girl in the middle. No belly button. :biggrin:

Hi. About summer version of VL map.

We've no official plans to make Velikiye Luki summer map, but I'll try to finish this map in my free time.

attachicon.gif33935271.jpg attachicon.gif33935101.jpg attachicon.gif33935071.jpg attachicon.gif33935111.jpg

Wow  :drinks:

@DendroAspis:

That picture of 5 models at Bondi Beach is a very well known one. Or better said a notorious one. For its clumsy photoshop.

Have a look at the girl in the middle. No belly button. :biggrin:

Thanks for spoiling lol

In my opinon, there are three things to make the SP 'fully operational', one is as Juri requests, the ability for mission builders to string together a scripted campaign, the other is a DCG, and the final is stat-tracking/named squad members. We know where we stand on a DCG, there is hope, it would be nice to know on the campaign function for mission builders.

*speculation warning*

I can understand if this feature wasn't released on the grounds that there was a 'Desastersoft'-style group looking to make money by building scripted campaigns, and they would prehaps pay for the 'monopoly' on this ability perhaps. However the last I heard regarding Desastersoft themselves was that it was a definate no-no on workign with BoS.

Regardless, some day it woudl be great if someone was able to build scripted campagins, it looks like there are people in the community who can do so, and well at that; these scripted campagins would breathe life into BoS' Single Player mode.

And above all, rearding the original dev diary, it is good to see that the devs are experimenting with improving SP, so thanks devs for listening.

Terrain looks awesome!  Looking forward to all the improvements and glad I'm in the EA on this as well....

Edited by JagdNeun

Terrain looks awesome!  Looking forward to all the improvements and glad I'm in the EA on this as well....

m2J9  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Oh boy,oh boy,ishak will roll out of Zavod Nr.21 hangar tomorrow!

Really bummed to hear, that summer VL map was not an official project. I had been under the impression that all maps would become available for all seasons. :(

But then I took a look at what Zeus (AKA the friggin' man )has been working on in his spare time and I'm picked right up again :)

Edited by Finkeren

Gorgeous!!!