A_S

JOYSTICK CURVES ?!?

(BTW, my "not reading this whole thread" comment was due to browsing with my phone and mistaking the page count as "22")

AS, sorry but I thought you were advocating the removal of the curve option based on the tone of your initial post.  But I do see that you just wanted to start the discussion.  Anyway, even if the developer DID prevent curves (as 777 did for the first 18 months of Rise of Flight) some sticks allow for shaping the input throw the stick's own software.  So it is one of those things that I think those who wish to "keep it real" will just have to live with.  Curves have serious drawbacks that I think neutralise any perceived advantage.  By softening one portion of the displacement range you steepen the curve on the remainder of the throw, creating real problems when flying outside that sweet-spot.  There is no way to dumb down controllability.  Whatever you do will have it's drawbacks.  I'll give an example of a perceived "cheat" and explain why I think it is more realistic that a unmodified controller profile.  There are a couple of planes in RoF where I limited aft elevator throw so that a stall would only occur if I hit the stops (usually).  How is that not a cheat?  My airplane is single-seat and has a very narrow CG.  Therefore it always stalls at the same stick displacement regardless of where the trim is set, how fast I am going, or how many g's I am pulling (or pushing).  In the case of an inside stall or snap things get crazy at exactly the same spot on my thigh.  (Sorry, I know that reads poorly but it is true)  This is a huge advantage that I have over a pilot flying a virtual version of my airplane using a desktop simulator.  The virtual pilot using a non-FFB stick has the deadzone (centre) of his stick always reflecting the trimmed elevator position.  If the trim is set to a high or low value, then the virtual pilot has no idea what the ratio is from neutral to full-throw.  Read another way, the developer forces a curve on him after trimming.  Every time that happens, he's flying a different airplane.  Therefore his only cue that the stall is about to break is whatever unrealistic cues provided to him by the developer.  (The best I have seen yet is the slight whistle one hears in the DCS:P51 just before the break).  I on the other hand never need any of that.  My plane will break at exactly the same stick position every time.

I am not complaining, mind you.  I think all this is fine.  It is simply something we must live with when flying electrons around on top of a desktop.  But those who scream "REAL!" need to consider how unreal all this is to begin with.

Edit - forget it, I'm not interested in debating this.

Edited by AndyJWest

Good post SmokingHole.

I tried to explain as good as possible (in simple language and graphics) where i am comming from in order to demonstrate proper input modelling.

Something what isn´t really a new invention, but has not often or never been considered in flightsims for the home-pc sim market.

Nevertheless, it IS do-able by all means.

Edited by A-S

Anyway, even if the developer DID prevent curves (as 777 did for the first 18 months of Rise of Flight) some sticks allow for shaping the input throw the stick's own software.

And are external software that do this too, like Il2 JoyControl for Il-2, or JoystickCurves.

Think that work for "curved banana". :)

Sokol1

• Upvote 1

Why anyone would want to limit the features of a game just baffles me. If the OP doesn't like some feature no one is forcing him to use it, but he should have the option just like everybody else.

With so many apps out on different forums leaving out the ability to adjust your stick curves is silly. Right now it is possible to run a virtual joystick with a curve setup with a few little programs.

Limiting this only makes curve input settings available to those who have time to visit a bunch of different forums looking for new apps to improve software or hardware performance.Like it or not

if this input curve ability is shipped in the stock game everybody is at least on a level playing field.