Sign in to follow this  
Uriah

What is HDR and SSAO?

2 HDR can be turned off;

3. SSAO can be turned off;

are they things I can turn on or off flying single player?

Would I care?

If so where and how?

They can both, basically, be a burden for those who, like me, have older rigs.... Anyway, il2-BoS is still the most fluid flight simulator, even considering it is also one of the best graphics wise I ever used!  It's amazing how I can get, in my old i5 2500 @ 3,3GHz, and GTX 650 Ti of 1 GB GDDR5 the quality and fluidity, and all these with plain vanilla DX9c !!!

I might try disabling both to see how it looks, but I guess I'll enable them back soon after :-)

I still find nothing in the game about an option to turn these features on or off.

I still find nothing in the game about an option to turn these features on or off.

The announcement was about planned improvements for an upcoming release - they are not currently available yet.

Are they currently "ON" when one selects the highest graphic preset?

Good question.

In which settings SSAO and HDR are OFF?

Good question. My causin bought BOS in very first stage when they had custom settings (as he told me). He thinks SSAO is there with standard, high and ultra since he had much better performance with SSAO unticked in all settings. I guess he is right because I think SSAo is one of the reasons some of us are seeing  blurry clouds with all presets.

Dunno really. We will see.

Edited by blackram_

Yes, SSAO and HDR are currently on with Ultra. Low definitely has SSAO off, and Medium I believe does as well. HDR I'm pretty certain is on for all.

SSAO is only present in cockpit and when looking around you'll notice a splotchy appearance especially against the cockpit floor. HDR is present at all times. High Dynamic Range produces deeper colors, and more variation between looking at the sun and looking away from the sun.

Edited by FuriousMeow

The trouble with the "SSAO" effect in BoS is that it's not really Screen Space Ambient Occlusion. It's just this foggy gauze look over everything. Hopefully switching the setting off doesn't remove real indirect shading along with the gauze. The best solution would be to remove the foggy effect altogether. I've never seen an effect like that in any game including Rise of Flight.