BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 101 - Discussion

28. Config files responsible for weather settings was changed (they are now divided adequately to different seasons. Missions that were made before this update must be reconfigured using the new weather config structure;

How exactly will this affect older missions? Will they be completely unplayable in 1.101?

Good load of interesting content and fixes in here. As a lately more frequently critic this is exactly what I have been waiting for. It's good to see that both the comunity as well as devs are taking steps in the right dircetion. There's only one question, is this update goign to be deployed today or later un July (because it's in the dev blog section)?

Also, here's sth interesting that might drown in exitement about the other notes

7. Your plane should be shaking because of explosions nearby;

Sounds interesting.

Sweet, all the little crumbs are falling together to make a tastey cake :-)

Amazing list! Litterally can't wait.

Once again you seem to satisfy just about everyone with this. Even some who havecwaited a long time for a certain fix or feature.

Great job!

That is a great list with a few unexpected things...special thanks are in order for items:

2. HDR can be turned off;

3. SSAO can be turned off;

4. Draw distance can now be increased with a dedicated setting option;

6. F11 free camera is now available

10. Max number of players per server increased to 64

Looking forward to checking out the other camera option you guys have put in as well.

This is the patch I've been waiting for, so I'll be ordering BOM once I get home :-)

• Upvote 3

A super update. Thanks very much to the Devs for the continued work!

+100000000

Thanks!!

:salute:

That is a great list with a few unexpected things...special thanks are in order for items:

Looking forward to checking out the other camera option you guys have put in as well.

This is the patch I've been waiting for, so I'll be ordering BOM once I get home :-)

[Edited]

Edited by Bearcat
Please check your PMs
  • Upvote 1

Well, i was very sceptic about this.. but that's a good DD... The most important one yet i'd say.

Probably the nicest DD to read since the game is out..Many thx

Other corrections not mentioned yet are also worthy a look (Bombsight views, day night transition, sunset)

Edited by UF_Luny

This was an awesome update; thank you and well done on the hard work and for responding to community requests. ~

20. Abrupt lightning changes at sunset time were fixed;

Can't wait to see that !

• Upvote 1

Super good news.

Martin

Edited by radio

Wow! Thank you Devs!

You just made a painful shift at work bearable. :)

this is a great news, finaly 64 players back

BoM coming soon in my HD :salute:

Going ti fire it up today. I'm glad I can turn HDR and SSAO off now. I'll better performance this time!

Going ti fire it up today. I'm glad I can turn HDR and SSAO off now. I'll better performance this time!

Don't get ahead of yourself. The update is not ready yet. It'll propably here in a couple of weeks.

20. Abrupt lightning changes at sunset time were fixed;

Can't wait to see that !

But now you won't see them. That's the whole point... not to see them. Ha.

And great to see you back with us too :-). As a matter of fact I recently returned as well... :-)

How's that RL flying ?

One question.... why are HDR and SSAO turnoff options important to you ? You're rig looks a lot more up to date than mine! Great graphics board, a nice i7...

Edited by jcomm

~S~ Devskis,

Glad to hear that the net code has been reworked most of all. Now what about these subliminal faces in the clouds? :P 

Bo_S_Watchers.jpg

Out-[Edited]-standing!!!
Wow, so much that's been asked for for so long!
Great job guys!

Edited by Bearcat
Language

Hold on a second..... what about the bug with the ammo in the aircraft I fly always miss my targets... please fix asap!!!

And good job on the other updates, thank you.

• Upvote 1

I run BoS on Ultra since first day of early access, and turning off SSAO was the first thing I did , back when you could edit config.ini.

It's not for FPS reasons , current SSAO application is not the best (not to say something worse , as I want to keep positive tone of this update) , when you turn it off it gives you a better clearer picture , no 'oily filter'.

HDR option could be useful for people running triple monitor setups. Currently they suffer with too bright sun effects.

So it was always about something more then trying to run Ultra preset on middle range PC's.

In my personal opinion these are two very important changes. Should be in game from the start, but at least we will get them in the next update.

These improvements and summer maps ( hopefuly Velkiye Luki map will come sooner than Stalingrad map) might rekindle my interest in BoS.

Not mentioning 64 players in MP.

To the devs , look at all the positive response when you bring back much requested features. It's worth more than pretty pictures of summer map and new planes.

In a space of couple of hours there is more replies to this topic than there was to much awaited 100th Dev Diary.

Now I only await news about SteamVR or any form of VR being explored again, and some form of online campaign , squadron orientated gameplay.

My Brain says "PLEASE INSERT UPDATE"... "PROCESSING... PROCESSING..." ..."RUN TIME ERROR 7 OUT OF MEMORY"  Must be a good update if my brain cannot process it without a memory upgrade.

Nearly there now - just a little more confidence that Jasons PWCG project will work and I will be back on board for BoM .... good list of changes to see.

• Upvote 1

1. I-16 fighter will be available to pilots who preordered Battle of Moscow. Players who don’t have it will be able to fight with it;

corsair_anim.gif

HDR option could be useful for people running triple monitor setups. Currently they suffer with too bright sun effects.

Wouldn't turning off HDR make the blinding effect worse? I mean, from reading Wikipedia I got the impression HDR should make bright areas less bright and dark areas brighter. Also, if there are graphics effects that can be turned off to improve visibility, I can foresee interesting threads on MP in the not-too-distant future...

For the too-bright issue of triple screen setups, I suspect it has to do with scaling effects according to the wrong field-of-view. All rendering should either use the horizontal or the vertical field-of-view. Currently rendering across ratios maintains a standard vertical field-of-view, but some effects assume a standard horizontal field of view. I think that's the problem with sun glare, and same thing with the bomb sight, which is way too zoomed in.

• Upvote 1

Just pity than I see info about Summer maps in Autumn...

BIG PLUS for graphics option! Id like to see more.

The same great news! After the weekend I buy Battle of Moscow!

Wouldn't turning off HDR make the blinding effect worse? I mean, from reading Wikipedia I got the impression HDR should make bright areas less bright and dark areas brighter. Also, if there are graphics effects that can be turned off to improve visibility, I can foresee interesting threads on MP in the not-too-distant future...

For the too-bright issue of triple screen setups, I suspect it has to do with scaling effects according to the wrong field-of-view. All rendering should either use the horizontal or the vertical field-of-view. Currently rendering across ratios maintains a standard vertical field-of-view, but some effects assume a standard horizontal field of view. I think that's the problem with sun glare, and same thing with the bomb sight, which is way too zoomed in.

Not sure about HDR , but as to turning off SSAO , it won't affect your ability to spot contacts , there is no need for this anyway, BoS and RoF has no problem with rendering distant contacts, you can see them from over 5km.

Please don't bring back old IL-2 paranoia , this is a different sim , there is no need to gimp your graphics , lower resolution or mess with colour settings to see contacts better. We are not playing on old PC's anymore and 720p resolution.

64 people.gosh..didn't believe i would ever see that..Now they only have to fix the sounds, and my mates and me will be back (and all in with expansions..)

And i am just a little disappointed because of the lack of statement on flapbehavior.

Why? What's wrong with the flaps? The one indication that something is amiss is that someone did a test between the Lagg-3 and the Yak-1 and they didn't have the same drag penalties for fully deployed flaps. There isn't no drag penalty, as I already pointed out before and tested the Yak-1 does indeed have drag penalties for flaps.

So if the test is simply comparing the Lagg-3 and Yak-1, that is not evidence of a flap problem just evidence of a poorly done test that proves nothing. Two airframes will absolutely perform differently even with the same engine. Everything that goes into making an airframe will make that airframe perform better than another airframe with the same engine. So with that - why should the Yak-1 have the same drag penalty as the Lagg-3? The Lagg-3 has longer flaps, and at full deployment they have a greater angle of deployment. Both of those will, naturally, lead to higher drag penalties at full deployment compared to the Yak-1. So yes, the Lagg-3 should have more drag with fully deployed flaps than the Yak-1 which would make the comparison pointless and void.

post-9266-0-53229700-1435348022_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2