22GCT_RedBaron

German turn and slip indicator

Hi all.

On the turn and bank indicator where are the hash marks for the pilot's reference during a turn of 3°/second? The letters L and R?
From wikipedia: "When the needle is lined up with a hash mark, the aircraft is performing a "standard rate turn" which is defined as three degrees per second, known in some countries as "rate one.".
Thanks in advance for the replies

:salute:

Fabio

post-23690-0-59327700-1434442462_thumb.jpg

I found this http://www.deutscheluftwaffe.de/archiv/Dokumente/ABC/g/Gereate/Wendezeiger/Notwendezeiger.pdf

but I don't speak German. Someone would be kind enough to help me? Thank you. We are preparing a mission of advanced instrument flight with BoS, but I need to know this information. From here you can download the instrument approach chart that I drew

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Fabio

Der Fabio,

This Wendezeiger has not a mark on its Display. The widths of the indicator (in german Pinselbreite) shows the turn rate. In your attached doku from a "Notwendezeiger" you will find the turn rate on page 11: Zeigerbreite bei 1/3 Umdrehung pro Minute. That means: if the indicator is one width on the left, the plane will complete the left-turn after 3 minutes.

Hope you understand my german/english explanation.

Jochen

Der Fabio,

This Wendezeiger has not a mark on its Display. The widths of the indicator (in german Pinselbreite) shows the turn rate. In your attached doku from a "Notwendezeiger" you will find the turn rate on page 11: Zeigerbreite bei 1/3 Umdrehung pro Minute. That means: if the indicator is one width on the left, the plane will complete the left-turn after 3 minutes.

Hope you understand my german/english explanation.

Jochen

Hi nimbus66, and many thanks for your reply.

After I posted the german document, I finded the system to unprotect and translate it. I used the google translator for translate this from German:

"VI. Prüfung

A. Auf dem Prüfstand

Die Uberprüfung der vorgeschriebenen Anzeigewerte erfolgt auf dem Prüfstand für Kreiselgeräte (Zeigerbreite bei 1/3Umdr./Min. und 4 Volt Batteriespannung)".

This is the translation I got:

"VI. examination

A. Put to the test

The test is carried out About the prescribed readings on trial for gyroscopes (pointer width at 1 / 3Umdr. / Min. and 4 volts battery voltage)."

We are talking about testing. I appreciate your intervention, but I still have some doubts. Thanks again

I hope for an intervention of a developer, like Zak, Finkeren, Bearcat, LukeFF, etc.,...

Fabio

-snip-

I hope for an intervention of a developer, like Zak, Finkeren, Bearcat, LukeFF, etc.,...

-snip-

Finkeren, Bearcat, Luke and likely "etc." are not developers.

The Device form the datasheet you posted is from an emergency device that was only used if the turn and bank indicator or the artificial horizon didn't work. It was powerd by an external battery (Abb 1) and was mounted on a special mount (Klemmbrett / chlipboard Abb.3). 

The part that you translated with google translator is about testing on a test station. 

I the document is nothing about turn rate or anything related

Edited by Saurer

The Device form the datasheet you posted is from an emergency device that was only used if the turn and bank indicator or the artificial horizon didn't work. It was powerd by an external battery (Abb 1) and was mounted on a special mount (Klemmbrett / chlipboard Abb.3). 

The part that you translated with google translator is about testing on a test station. 

I the document is nothing about turn rate or anything related

Hi, Saurer

just as I thought.

Thank you very much for your reply.

The search continues...

Fabio

P.S.: I always hope for intervention of anyone, developer or not, an expert on the subject, as I have seen in other interventions, always technical.

Hi all,

I forgot to have this wonderful book.

From "German Aircraft Cockpits 1911-1970" by Peter W. Cohausz - Schiffer Military History Book, page.24:

"The degree of deflection indicates the rate of turn". All right, I want to know precisely how much is this rate of turn. Mistery...

Fabio

post-23690-0-72941500-1435062462_thumb.jpg

Hi all!

And thank you all! But mainly SYN_Requiem, because it is able to solve the mystery in the most logical way: trying and trying. Unfortunately for me now was not possible to try the sim because right now, summer, schools are closed and my thugs 4 and 7 years old do not allow me to be at peace in front of the PC. Well, this is what I wrote SYN_Requiem, that I will never cease to give thanks for the willingness:

"

Hi Fabio,

I only had a few minutes so you should probably double check these if you can. I've attached screenshots of turn rates of ~ 15 and 3 degrees per second and what it looks like on the turn indicator. The instrument only reacts to rate of turn, if you roll 90 degrees but avoid turning there is little movement, at least in my very brief look at it tonight.

Cheers,

Luke"

MISTERY SOLVED!! :lol: :lol: :biggrin: :biggrin: :dance: :dance: :yahoo: :yahoo:

BEERS FOR ALL!! :drinks: :drinks:

Cheers

Fabio

post-23690-0-47521500-1436693034_thumb.jpg

post-23690-0-37354100-1436693058_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I know I will have a lot of good time "in here" for the future.

This seems to be the perfect place to combine "having fun" and bury one self into details when trying to understand the bird one flies (or think I want to fly, it's a bit early to be that certain).

I like what I see under this topic as a newcomer.  :salute:

I know I will have a lot of good time "in here" for the future.

This seems to be the perfect place to combine "having fun" and bury one self into details when trying to understand the bird one flies (or think I want to fly, it's a bit early to be that certain).

I like what I see under this topic as a newcomer.  :salute:

Hi Senilix! You are welcome!

Fabio

Edited by 22GCT_RedBaron