Sign in to follow this  
Geralt

...any news about a "real" singleplayer campaign...?

in all the hype about the next sim BoM, I`d like to ask a modest question. Are there any news about a "real" singleplayer campaign for Battle of Stalingrad or is it all given up in all the hysteria about the new sim? Honestly, I wont even think about buying BoM if it has the same crap-campaign as Battle of Stalingrad. I dont even play BoS anymore due to the lack of a real singleplayer campaign ! :dry:

Edited by Geralt
  • Upvote 1

Nothing is known beyond the fact that the devs are 'considering a few different options' and that Jason personally is working with someone in the community to create a 3rd party campaign mode on the basis of PWCG from RoF (which was a very good career-style campaign generator) The development team has nothing to do with this project, so don't expect any 'official' news on this.

In other words: In time we might have a really good 3rd party campaign mode similar to PWCG for both BoS and BoM, and the 'official' campaign for BoM (and posibly the extended campaign for BoS when we get the summer/autumn maps) will most likely be upgraded compared to what we have now in BoS, but exactly how it will turn out is not known.

Don't expect too much too soon, but there will be some kind of improvements and in time also an alternative to the campaign mode.

Edited by Finkeren

There are now some remarkably good user-generated mini-campaigns.

Veteran66 has set the payware-like standard (including custom graphics, multimedia thingies, custom radio messages, etc) that we'd all like to reach. See the mission makers' forum for alternatives.

(There's honestly not much excuse not to give the game a good try! In my humbles, obviously...)

We will need to wait and see. A good in-game campaign is what I have always hoped for. Not a clunky third party app that I have to alt-tab out of the game to use, or a series of impersonal user created missions that have no narrative context.

... thanks for the answer guys ... maybe I should reinstall Cliffs of Dover while waiting :salute:

...a series of impersonal user created missions that have no narrative context.

That's not really fair to the mini campaigns we have seen so far. If anything they have tried to provide a narrative to the missions to bind them together. They just lack a game mechanic to track progress.

But I do agree, that a good in-game campaign or careeer mode is and will be the ultimate dream for any BoS SP-player.

... thanks for the answer guys ... maybe I should reinstall Cliffs of Dover while waiting :salute:

And get pretty much the same thing? A great sim with extremely limited SP content. 

• Upvote 2

That's not really fair to the mini campaigns we have seen so far. If anything they have tried to provide a narrative to the missions to bind them together. They just lack a game mechanic to track progress.

But I do agree, that a good in-game campaign or careeer mode is and will be the ultimate dream for any BoS SP-player.

And get pretty much the same thing? A great sim with extremely limited SP content. 

Completely untrue.  There is a lot of SP content for CLOD, especially excellent campaigns, both free and payware addons.(Desastersoft). See ATAG Forums .

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=108&s=de7d758ca7e4e99176ff56f3ac1fa759

The Airwarfare site housed most of the campaigns but has been closed due to excessive spamming, but I expect many of the redux campaigns to

be made available by the creators soon. There is definitely good SP content for CLOD.  I spend most of my Flight time in it and I am having fun

flying it.

S!Blade<><

Edited by BladeMeister

Yeah Blade, but they are 3rd party content as well, and as we clearly have learned from this thread: If it's 3rd party, it doesn't count....

...or whatever.

~S~ Everyone,

Just...

SW_Dead_Horse.jpg

Guys,

Listen please. I didn't ask BC to make this thread. I let it go for a while to see what would happen, but it's now working against me. But let me again, explain a few things.

1. The team in Moscow has nothing to do with this endeavor. It is simply a personal mission of mine to provide the community with an alternative mission generator like PWCG to fulfill a want in the community. The team has their system and it works for a lot of users and it will probably be improved in some way in the future as more updates come out. But I know there is a group that wants something different. Nothing unusual there, was the same in ROF. I know of an app that can provide a lot of what they want if I can have it ported over. Simple idea.

2. There is nothing for the development team to explain. Such a generator uses our mission file syntax (language) which is what is spit out when you compile a mission in the ME. If you know the syntax and logic you can build missions without the ME. They are just .txt files. That's all Pat has done with PWCG. But Pat took FULL advantage of our mission tech to make a cool independent system. That's it and is as far as anything the team needs to provide to anyone on this project. So please stop asking the team to provide any help to anyone.

3. An entire Campaign system can be built without the team. As was done with the original IL-2. What's missing is simply the role-playing part. That can be provided by parsing the log files and making a GUI to display mission results and "pilot" personalities etc. Essentially that is the basis of what the WOFF team originally did for CFS3 albeit with a little more wrapping, but same general idea. This is also what Pat has already done for ROF and it's pretty damn good. I just need to find someone professional enough and creative enough and passionate enough to help port it over and re-design the GUI with my assistance. Pat has offered to share his PWCG code for ROF to a qualified person and to help bring it half-way. The new guy must finish the job.

4. When we get to a certain point, the community can help us by providing historical info about units, battles, locations, awards, pilots etc. And that's the easy part so I am not worried if we get that far.

So I am going to close this thread because it's causing too much distraction on a topic that is already, honestly, figured out and folks are attempting to drag the Moscow team into something they are not involved with. I just need the right guy. The first guy who stepped up disappeared for some unknown reason. But this has happened many times when I have attempted to work with 3rd parties. Just the nature of it. Maybe Stallion above will be the right guy??? When I get to a point where I need to find someone else I will make a public plea, but I'm not at that point yet.

If any progress is made I will certainly let you guys know.

Jason

This was posted just the other day.....

Yeah Blade, but they are 3rd party content as well, and as we clearly have learned from this thread: If it's 3rd party, it doesn't count....

...or whatever.

I think the difference is the fact that the 3rd party campaigns in Cliffs of Dover have missions that are bound together in a proper in-game campaign.  Giving guys like Veteran66 the tools to do this in BoS like it can be done in Rise of Flight should be priority number one IMO.

• Upvote 5

It's disappointing for many players that the Campaign fell short of what was described in the original Developer Diaries. I appreciate some of its features that make it more flexible and approachable for a range of players particularly the Long and Short mission concept.

But the historical content is lacking compared to what was envisioned earlier. It is actually quite close in format to the RoF Career so it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to adapt some features from that while keeping the flexibility BoS added. Hopefully those are the improvements they're mentioning. Just adding a day by day timeline and joining a regiment like was mentioned earlier would be a big improvement over the generic chapters and randomly selecting airfields/planes

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Upvote 2

It's disappointing for many players that the Campaign fell short of what was described in the original Developer Diaries. 

As mainly sp, I agree and that's the main reason why I don't buy the 190/la-5 nor preorder BoM

Edited by jeanba

As mainly sp, I agree and that's the main reason why I don't buy the 190/la-5 nor preorder BoM

Well I understand the reasons why the current SP campaign is done the way that it is. It's easier for casual players to get into. Even though my vote is for something like the RoF Career I know this actually doesn't appeal to casual gamers which are the actually majority of players.

Really the type of Career generator we enthusiasts are hoping for is being worked on as a 3rd party project. Maybe it's possible to give the official campaign a little boost but I expect it will remain much like it is for the above reasons.

This topic has already been discussed a lot so the devs already have a good deal of input.

Edited by SharpeXB

...or whatever.

Beyond your pompass remark, all campaigns install directly into CLOD and do not use a 3rd party interface or GUI. The original Campaigns were rewritten as redux to utilize the latest TF updates. CLOD has many fun, very well crafted Campaigns, Single Player Missions and quite a few offer lite versions for lower performance computers. The SP content is quite good and plentiful at the address I posted above. If 1c/777 would provide the tools to make a traditional Campaign, I believe some nice Campaigns could be produced for BOS as well.

S!Blade<><

IMO CloD's single missions are better than BoS', thanks to the fact that one mission can contain multiple squadrons to fly with. It's possible to fly one mission as the Luftwaffe, then fly as the RAF in the same mission.

Edited by Cybermat47

Well, if anyone cares to consider...

Would anyone here support a kickstarter, I guess, if the developers put one up, trying to raise money for a really good 'career mode' experience, in an expansion pack I guess?

I myself wouldn't have a second thought plopping down a few 100 dollars to support a ROF 2.0 career mode in BOS BOM.

That being said, a career mode that encompases the entire war needs more than just BOS and BOM maps. Kursk, Ukraine, Balkans, Norway? and other theaters kind of need to be developed before that happens, I guess.

Edited by Xenunjeon88

Do not count on me :lot of things were initially promised for the SP campaign and it was one of the reasons I bought the game.

The end results was disappointing to say the least, I don't want to pay more (and this includes BoM anyway).

For me the most important point in the campaign is to play "dead is dead" so that we have to balance between trying to fill the objectives, with the risk of dying or "live to fight another day".

For instance, I destroyed 3 trucks (4 is the objective), my plane is damaged. According to the current system (unlock but also campaign progression), you MUST try to shoot the last one, because returning to base will not give you much more point than dying (0 for dying, 12 at best for returning to base, while you get 120 points or more if you miraculously success).

I would like the choice to be more "ambiguous".

Edited by jeanba

That being said, a career mode that encompases the entire war needs more than just BOS and BOM maps. Kursk, Ukraine, Balkans, Norway? and other theaters kind of need to be developed before that happens, I guess.

Yes, a career in BoS or BoM or any future title here is only going to encompass a few months. But even that is pretty good. It's possible in RoF to have a career spanning over two years but my longest ones have gone on only about 6 months. So the 5-6 months a BoS career could go on for is still sufficient.

in all the hype about the next sim BoM, I`d like to ask a modest question. Are there any news about a "real" singleplayer campaign for Battle of Stalingrad or is it all given up in all the hysteria about the new sim? Honestly, I wont even think about buying BoM if it has the same crap-campaign as Battle of Stalingrad. I dont even play BoS anymore due to the lack of a real singleplayer campaign ! :dry:

Did you fly the Juri and Veteran missions? If not then......  :rolleyes: