Sign in to follow this  
LLv34_Untamo

Setting or freezing mission time

S!

There is a trigger "date time", but it is indeed a trigger, not setter. It will trigger at a set time/date.

The question: Is there a method of setting mission time/date during the mission? Or freezing it, like we could do in old IL-2.

The reason I'm asking, is because I want to make a mission that will run 24/7, but I don't want it to have nights, so I want it to either to run from dawn till dusk and skip the night OR stay at frozen in time, say noon.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

S!

There is a trigger "date time", but it is indeed a trigger, not setter. It will trigger at a set time/date.

The question: Is there a method of setting mission time/date during the mission? Or freezing it, like we could do in old IL-2.

The reason I'm asking, is because I want to make a mission that will run 24/7, but I don't want it to have nights, so I want it to either to run from dawn till dusk and skip the night OR stay at frozen in time, say noon.

Hey Untamo,

AFAIK or better yet, as far I I've found out in Multi- Player mind you.

There is no way to have a full stop/frozen time.

However you can set up the Mission to run on that Dawn to Dusk scenario by setting a Timer as a Translator:  Mission Begins "Target"  with say... 18 Hours, or however long you wish the mission to run.  Then set that Trigger: Timers "Target" as Translator: Mission End.

Translator: Mission begin

I

"Target"

Trigger: Timer (18:00)

I

"Target"

Translator: Mission end

Then Set up your D Server .sds with that mission Back to Back. When the Mission ends it will automatically restart itself from Dawn then run to Dusk or however long that Timer is set.

Hope that helps,

Tip

S!

Thanks for the answer, but no, this is not a solution for me :-/ ... The mission I'm making is supposed to run for days, if not weeks before resetting once one side has conquered the whole map. The method above would reset everything in my dynamic scenario, which will not do.

The editor sorely needs a time control MCU component.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

I think you are being a bit optimistic in hoping to run a server uninterrupted for several days. I would be surprised if it did not crash at least once a day.

In theory, it should be possible to split your mission into slices of a few hours (e.g. 3hours). Each slice is generated from a template. Units that have been destroyed in a previous slice are not added to the next slice. Other units are moved to the place where they were at the end of the previous slice.

This requires the following software components:

1. Parser for mission templates

2. Textual Mission generator (combines mission templates)

2b. Compiler from textual missions to binary msnbin files.

3. Mission log parser to extract unit damage/kills

4. Mission log parser to extract unit positions

I'm working on 1, almost done.

Nothing done on 2, but I don't see why that should not work. I don't think 2b is absolutely necessary, as I think the game can load .mission files, although it takes a bit more time. 2b should be doable using the FME with some GUI automation software, but I haven't looked too deeply into that.

About 3, see https://github.com/eriklupander/bosparser . It's for single player, and the multiplayer log is said to be different, but I looked at it and I expect it's feasible.

I don't think 4 is doable, it does not look like unit positions are logged in multiplayer. It's possible to work around that problem, though. If you know the speed of your ground units, and you know their travel path, you can figure out their approximate position at the end of the slice.

Lots of programming work, obviously, so it's not exactly a walk in the park. But it should be feasible: x-hours long missions dynamically generated from a persistent world.

Edited by coconut

S!

Well, our server ("VirtualPilots") has stayed up for over a week at a time, and has had to be reset for other reasons than the BoS Dserver. Not a lot of players yet though :)

Anyways, if this game is ever to lift up from the ground, we need a solid, stable Dserver, and I have hope for that.

But on the problem at hand:

This is the mission I'm making, I will quote myself here:

There was a dogfight server in old IL-2 called the Warbirds-FH. It basically recreated the Warbirds / Aces High arena system. The map was filled with airfields, half blue, half red. You pick a field and a plane, and go attack the other side's field. When you have destroyed 90% of the fields objects, it goes "closed", no one can take off from that field when it is closed. When it is closed, if someone ferries in paratroops with a Ju-52, the field is conquered, and changes sides. The tricky part is to close the field fast enough and bring the troops in, as the objects each have a respawn timer. And if enough objects respawn, the field now has less than 90% objects destroyed, and it opens again. I basically would want to recreate this :) .. Of course I would have to make some other system to replace the currently non-human Ju-52s :)

Well, I have made it, and it is currently running on VirtualPilots server. Well, close to it  .. He111 and Pe-2 replace the Ju-52 currently :) .. But go check it out. Currently I have just set the mission to start from 7:30 and the server setting has max mission time to end the mission at about 17:30. The mission is a small scale test of the WB system and the 10h resetting cycle doesn't do much damage.

But, the next step: scaling up. I want to make a huge map with tens of airfields per side. A full scale War-Birds arena. Conquering the whole map should take days, or even weeks. But for it to work, the mission can't reset. The only option currently is to let the day and night cycle as they do, just start the mission so that the night goes when there isn't a lot of players anyways.

But the optimal case would be that we could have total control over the time in the mission.

On your project Coconut:

Very ambitious, every game needs a few "propeller heads" like you :) .. That is what propels (pun intended ;) ) a game forwards. Are you planning similar to old IL-2's FBDj? That was (and still is) a brilliant piece of software.

I am a SW designer myself, but I keep work and play separate, and I try to keep everything in the editor side for now.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

...I'm working on 1, almost done...

Just wanted to add to Untamo's remark. Coconut, if you get through points 1-4 (or a 4 workaround), that's a seriously useful set of tools. It seems to me you wouldn't need much more for real joined up SP campaigns, among other things.

Respect! as they say...  :cool: