=BKHZ=Furbs

I just quit smoking!

After having a good natter with ATAG's Bliss ( :o: i know...Bliss and myself talking like normal people) he put me on to vaping and i will never smoke another nasty cig ever again, 5x cheaper and no nasty tobacco smoke!

Anyone thinking of giving up should give them a go. 

Sorry, just feeling pretty good about it! :cool:

• Upvote 4

Good for you! Shouldn't you have waited until after the release date was announced though? You'll have no finger nails left!

• Upvote 1

The problem i always had with giving up was i enjoyed the whole smoking ritual, as well as being addicted to the nicotine...lol

The e cig vaping lets me still enjoy the ritual and the actual smoking but i can cut out the nasty cigarette smoke stuff and spending all that cash.

The whole ritual thing. The force of the pull while you think about any subject and puzzle pieces. ECig is not even close. I use it frequently myself in smoke-free spaces but for some "very my own" reason the psyche effect is not the same and gets quite intrusive while receding into lines of thought away from the buzz of the office or other background noise.

End of the line, I hope you quit smoking.

What starts as a juvenile... thing, ends up in a nasty vice.

Signed,

A Smoker.

Edited by =LD=Hethwill

Furbs, congratulations on giving up this habit!

Here are 2 smokers in the center caught both talking at the same time: Loft is first from the left and I'm the second.

There's no smoking propaganda here on this photo!

IMG_1114.jpg

smoking in a way is like riding a bike, hell i dont give a damn, isnt it coming anyway and lifes short 

alumine in deodorant, lead in cavity feelings, fluoride in water...

well my answer to this is lighting a ziggy

At least when you quit now and stick to the public indoors you are safe from other smokers, they have to sneak outside while can stay comfy.

I quit in the mid 80ies ... with plenty of smokers still around indoors and no nicotine sticking plasters yet.

Still remember 2 dreams from that period LOL :lol:

In one I was going through my pockets for something and out of every one of those came cigarettes like rabbits out of a top hat.

In the other I was chasing sig buts all over the place for lighting them up.

Bite the bullet man!

You will make yourself so happy ... in a while :) 

The whole ritual thing. The force of the pull while you think about any subject and puzzle pieces. ECig is not even close. I use it frequently myself in smoke-free spaces but for some "very my own" reason the psyche effect is not the same and gets quite intrusive while receding into lines of thought away from the buzz of the office or other background noise.

End of the line, I hope you quit smoking.

What starts as a juvenile... thing, ends up in a nasty vice.

Signed,

A Smoker.

i agree with the buzz from the ecig's not doing 'it'...but with this....

...im finding the buzz better, the taste much better and without that nasty pull on the old lungs.

What im going to do is reduce the nicotine level gradually until 0, then just enjoy the ritual. 

I quit smoking 10 years ago. It's a very tough uphill climb. You will have relapses. I have had several along the way. It was just one or two. I just had one about a year ago. You never truly give it up. One thing I dislike about qui tting is when I smell one being smoked in the air; It really makes me want one for some reason. Then when I smell a person who just walked in from outside I don't want one, LOL, It's a vicious cycle.

:biggrin:

Edited by Erg./JG54_SPEKTRE

You made it through the development cycle of CoD. This is easy. ;)

Good luck Furbs.

Well, if you count the 6 months in rehab. :)

Good decision!

:good:

Edit: more than 30 years off too.

I quit smoking when my daughter was born.

Edited by ST_ami7b5

Erg./JG54_SPEKTRE, on 17 Oct 2013 - 10:47, said:snapback.png

I quit smoking 10 years ago. It's a very tough uphill climb. You will have relapses. I have had several along the way. It was just one or two. I just had one about a year ago. You never truly give it up. One thing I dislike about qui tting is when I smell one being smoked in the air; It really makes me want one for some reason. Then when I smell a person who just walked in from outside I don't want one, LOL, It's a vicious cycle.

Ouch no, you do get over it.
Off for like close to 30 years -that is almost double of my smoking years - and if someone ever lights up in house  i am ready for a chase  with the fly swap, wouldn't even mind if it was the electric zapper.
Maybe the first 5 years one is still a bit shaky but i would not call it prone for relapse or it would be the first year if not carefull.
After a month your taste and smell is coming back while after 2 your lung capacity is like doubling, amazing - after that there should be no going back.
One smoke in-house here and i will smell it like for ages ...
Endearing nowadays how ppl first ask if they can compared to 20 years ago when already smoking one started looking for an ashtray; now you just push them one in theire hands fished out of the back of some drawer and point to the back door reminding do let the ashtray OUT after using
Repented smokers really get the worst anti-smokers it seems LOL
Best advise I can give is cut it clean and take up some sports or so.
You will never regret the decision, ever
Edited by West

Yea gonna try giving them up on monday,was of them b4 for 2 months but went for a few pints with a mate and started back on them :(

What amazes me is the totaled cost of smoking. Sure it adds up a pack at a time, but over the course of a year it can reach over $3000.00. With our state taxes a pack of Marlboros can be over $10.00. Think of the powerful PC you could build.

My father was forced to quit smoking cold turkey. His neck arteries were 90% blocked and he needed surgery to clean the gunk out. About three fifths of his immediate family died of strokes. All were heavy smokers. The doctor told him he wasn't going to waste his time doing the operation if my dad wasn't going to do something about the smoking. He quit right then.

For years after the surgery, when he saw someone smoking on TV, he'd mention how he still craves them. NOW he is disgusted with them and the smell is nauseating.

Best of luck with the quiting Furbs. My only advice would be to not even use the substitutes, like e-cigarettes; give up the whole ritual, or you'll be tempted back in. And don't believe anyone who says "once a smoker, always a smoker". I gave up over a weekend in February, after reading Dr Alan Carr's book (Easy Way to stop smoking); can't stand the smell or thought of another cig now and can honestly say will never smoke again.

I started smoking when I was 14.  Tried my first cigarette at 10...  poaching my cousins roll ups.

I kept smoking until I was 21 where applying to the Army, I gave them up.  Lived a spartan life style.  I jogged 3 miles three times a week and lifted free weights in a complete body work out three times a week and played squash once a week.  For three years without missing a single session.  I didnt get in the Army cos I was too "heavy" under the "BMI"  even though i could piss the BA battery fitness tests...

Then I was 21, I hooked up with a girl who smoked and after a year I crumbled, after 3 years smoke free, and thought i could smoke when I wanted too...  So there is some truth in once a smoker, always a smoker...  I miss it now, but I don't miss being a slave.

Then i was 30 and the girl was gone and i was left with the habit...  In England 20 cigarettes is nearly 8 pounds!  I reduced to 10 a day from 20...  and bought the cheapest too...

I bought this e-cigarette just to try it...  it made me realise how pathetic my beloved smoking was.  I really enjoyed smoking throughout my life but the e-cigarette made me realise this is no different from glue sniffing or some other awful habit.  I knew I was going to stop there and then...

I really enjoyed smoking...  Sometimes I miss it and somtimes i have pangs for it.  but its bad shite.  It stops you breathing properly, it makes you smell, it costs a fortune and its ridiculous.  Vapour or smoke its all the same.

I quit smoking again on the 1st of Jan 2013...

If anything, my tips would be ramp up the smoking...  smoke more, take big deep lung fulls and embrace the smoking so much so it makes you cough and puke!  Then you have a psychological edge...  Try to poison yourself with fags...  It will give you resolve...  If you smoke 20 a day start smoking 40 and gasp deeply till you puke...  ;)  In the last month i was smoking 10 a day i stated smoking 30 or 40 a day!  Then felt so sick i easily went cold turkey.   Don't kid yourself with these e-fags...

Start smoking only up your nose...  Irish water falls and smoke rings 40 times a day...

Edited by 5./JG27Farber

So there is some truth in once a smoker, always a smoker... 

There most certainly is. Reseptors that have learned to enjoy nicotine in your body don't reset when you quit. At least not without medical help. So basically if you have learned the habit once, it will stick with you.

Yes but anyone can change! 

[Youtube]

[/Youtube] Edited by 5./JG27Farber

Congrats Furbs!

Smoking is a dangerous habit. I quit in May 2002 after a guy where I worked got lung cancer. He lost a lung, but survived. I didn't touch them since.

Sadly two months ago a good friend of mine was diagnosed with a nasty, incurable form of lung cancer. :(  He's just four days younger than me. Has a good job, good life, beautiful wife and two smart kids. :cray:

Smoking seems fun when we are young and stupid, but it's no joke.

Edited by Jaws2002

I quit smoking about 2 years ago after joining an Alan Carr session.

It's going real well, I can only recommend this method.

Giving up smoking isn't all that difficult, it actually suits teh tobacco industry well that people think it would be so hard to give it up.

And that last sentence of Jaws2002 says it all, I started smoking when I was a teenager after watching cowboy movies with Clint Eastwood and looking at the back pics of my Guns 'n Roses cd's. I thought I was going to become a tough one like that too if I stood there "like a real one" with my cigaret all the time. Years later I realised what a clown I was.

:salute:

After having a good natter with ATAG's Bliss ( :o: i know...Bliss and myself talking like normal people) he put me on to vaping and i will never smoke another nasty cig ever again, 5x cheaper and no nasty tobacco smoke!

I quit smoking over a decade ago.. Good for you!

Giving up cigarettes was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Pack a day+ for 15 years, not so easy to kick. In fact, even after getting free of the chemical side of the addiction, I found that I couldn't shake the hand-to-mouth compulsion.

I took up smoking a pipe instead, so I'm not completely tobacco free, but I don't inhale, I'm not smoking anything that's heavily laced with chemicals, and it's considerably less expensive. A month's supply runs me about $20 USD, or roughly 3 days worth of cigs. I found a place here that sells a huge variety of interesting tobaccos, and pipes, man, don't get me started on pipes. It's also nice when the cute neighbor comes over to ask you "What smells so good?", rather than being grossed out by the yellow fingertips.  :good: 

WTG FURBS. The last time I tried them I set my runners on fire. When you're 7 years old you're wise enough to know the signs!

i take cigarretes as an investement in my future

retired at 70 with two hundred euro a month better leave a nice corpse

is not economic crysis but value crisis what happens in spain

You speak the truth lol

I am also trying to stop :)

Hey Furbs,

I just saw this thread and ironically, I picked up vaping about 6 weeks or so ago. At first, I would vape and then have maybe 2-3 cigs a day, but within about 10 days I found I liked the vape better than the cig -  I have now not had a cigarette in over 4 weeks. What I am really loving is the freedom I have with vaping, versus the inconvenience of finding a place to smoke a cig... and of course the health benefit over the cigs as well.

I've stopped several times over the last few years but this time I just went cold turkey. We are led to believe it is going to be so much worse (by companies that profit from nicotine replacement) yet the reality is that after 3 days you are not even addicted anymore and the cravings disappear faster than you would think. I'm 4 weeks of the fags and the last two weeks 100% nicotine free.

Well does going from 2 packs of Camel non filtered to only 1 pack per day count as stopping ?

Sorry it's the best I can do right now.

Least I don't smoke around the horses !

Allan

yeah myself im more for reducing im too unstable to quit cold turkey

I am with you!

Started at 29 Oct 2013, and I hope I will keep it!!!

Thanks to Furbs I will be on the road to quitting, so if I don't meet an untimely early death you have him to thank.......be gentle with him.

Fuuuuurbs!!!!

Seriously though, good luck to you all. I smoked for twelve years before quitting. Probably the hardest thing I ever did and it took two years for the the urge to smoke every twenty minutes to go away. Life is so much better without them though, so stay with it. ;)

So all of these cranky newly-ex-smokers are why that damned Dev Diary thread is so full of Sturm and Drang?! I might have known. Or maybe not...

Anyway, good luck all. My mother used to smoke when I was a kid and I absolutely hated the smell. I was so glad she gave up when I was about 13 or so. I've never been tempted to even try it.

Now giving up beer and chocolate (don't worry, I never mix them)'

, that is not such an easy thing for me to do, as my pleasingly rounded waist will attest.