Zak

Developer Diary, Part 98 - Discussion

Hi Everybody!

Starting the 98th dev blog post, the 98th report about the work that has been completed you realize how massive and complex flight sim development is. And the anniversary is really close - the 100th Friday post in last 2,5 years. It's more than a fancy tradition, or a public relations trick - it's somewhat a natural event. There are dev blog ergo there is IL-2 Sturmovik.

Meanwhile the team is busy creating the project's future. New chapters of the Stalingrad campaign are to be released along with two extra seasonal maps that will be given out for free to all BOS players in a few months. At the same time we keep working on technologies that will improve gameplay in many aspects. Such enchancements are often very hard to describe and even harder - to show, however there's one of the those which you'll probably notice on the last screenshot below. And please remember that BOS and BOM are sharing all of our technological and creative achievements, it's a united project and we care about both parts of it equally.

Here comes the DD's most popular part - fresh screenshots. This time we're revealing the looks of P-40E-1, textured and flying in BOS. Note that the plane may probably get some extra polishing before going to early access.

p40_1.jpg       p40_2.jpg

p40_4.jpg       p40_3.jpg

P.S. let me remind you that BOS screenshot contest is about to end. But you still have time to share some pics from the game and try to win.

Full news

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 11

The P-40 looks good and the proportions seem to be about right unlike the original IL-2.

The sunset/rise looks like a big improvement also.

I know you like teasing us Zak, can you disclose whether or not you're planning any new features for the new chapters of the campaign mode or will it follow the exact same model as the campaign we have now?

Not asking what these features are, just whether you have anything new in the works ;)

Edited by Finkeren

"Poor man's P-51" I'll take it :D... realy though. I wish it was in the main pack. I like to buy physical copies in stores... but that P-40 is realy looking good.

hi Zak what we see in the last screenshot?

"however there's one of the those which you'll probably notice on the last screenshot below"

"however there's one of the those which you'll probably notice on the last screenshot below"

The Sun is actually disappearing below the horizon. Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 2

Looks like the outer wing guns have been removed which was normal. Will there be an option to go with the full 6x.50cal setup as well though?

Looks like the outer wing guns have been removed which was normal. Will there be an option to go with the full 6x.50cal setup as well though?

Jason has confirmed that 6 guns will be an unlock.

Little bars at bottom left, maybe representing throttle, radiator and mixture?  Or something?

von Tom

Me likes!

Im curious about the feel of the 50cals

How different from the cannons is it going to be in game?

This is my first swrious sim since the original il2 is too old for me and i dont like how guns feel in CLOD.

Nice. Very nice. Looking forward to Pacific and African area  :cool:

Edited by II./JG1_Baron
  • Upvote 5

I love it! Man o day the graphics in this sim are so friggin good...  I cannot wait till I get a Mustang over here...

At the same time we keep working on technologies that will improve gameplay in many aspects. Such enchancements are often very hard to describe and even harder - to show, however there's one of the those which you'll probably notice on the last screenshot below. And please remember that BOS and BOM are sharing all of our technological and creative achievements, it's a united project and we care about both parts of it equally.

.. No diggity! ;):salute:

I know you like teasing us Zak, can you disclose whether or not you're planning any new features for the new chapters of the campaign mode or will it follow the exact same model as the campaign we have now?

We have an idea related to campaign mode. It's not yet in the plan, and of course it's not to be announced today. But we are doing something that could make it more interesting.

I seriously ask you, guys, to avoid speculation. I mentioned that to let you know that we are listening and actually doing what we can with the limited resource we've got.

The Sun is actually disappearing below the horizon.

Bingo.

• Upvote 8

Im curious about the feel of the 50cals

How different from the cannons is it going to be in game?

In terms of ballistics there's not that much difference from the Soviet UBS/UBK HMGs, though the rate of fire of the American gun is significantly lower. Try using only the single .50cal in the LaGG-3, it's pretty powerful.

Now imagine having 6 of those and you have a plane that can shred a He 111 in half a second (if you can get the sluggish P-40 to actually climb fast enough to catch them)

We have an idea related to campaign mode. It's not yet in the plan, and of course it's not to be announced today. But we are doing something that could make it more interesting.

I seriously ask you, guys, to avoid speculation. I mentioned that to let you know that we are listening and actually doing what we can with the limited resource we've got.

Thanks for that Zak. Concerning the campaign there is already a huge amount of speculation and hypothesizing going on, so I think it might calm some people down just to know, that you're working on something.

Lovely. I hereby enter those four screenshots in the "scenic" section.

Bingo.

Nice to hear (read) it!!!  :good:

Nice update! Great to hear news about develoment. P-40 looks good!

And thank you for listening and reacting to our conserns about campaign. That is very good news :)

Just fantastic!!! Loving the upcoming updates for BoS!

S!

Edited by Krause

The aircraft rendering in this engine is really amazing. Great model.

@Zak, we need mask for pilots.

Edited by 150GCT_Veltro

Little bars at bottom left, maybe representing throttle, radiator and mixture? Or something?

von Tom

Bars will likely not be in the game. They are a dev tool for testing purposes.

Great screenshots. Thanks for making this day even better.

Slightly OT but we were talking about the poll from last week about whether we wanted to see the 110 or P40 next and as much as I wanted to see the 110 I couldn't help think about the P40 thread and how much passion there was for that aircraft in there. I hope they like what they see and enjoy flying this plane :)

Nice article I found

http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/english/articles/romanenko/p-40/

Edited by JG5_Emil

Please work on a DX11 graphic engine and a better netcode. Otherwise the price you ask for BOM is not justified.

• Upvote 4

~S~,

I thought it was the rich Corinthian leather, a cigarette lighter, fuzzy dice, cup holder, and a hulu dancer on the dashboard.

Lot I know. Great job on the project.

Now get back to verk!

-Jupp-

:biggrin:

Edited by Jupp

Looking pretty! Just need that f11 :salute: