Haggart85

Is VR really the way of the future?

Mods, feel free to move this into the Free Subject section if need be.

Am I the only one who isn't caught up in the hype about all these VR goggles/head pieces? I haven't tried them, I just don't see them being as immersive as many have said. My reason being is that while I'm sure it puts you as feeling like you're really in the cockpit like no other, I feel like the immersion is broken the moment you have to reach for a different control. I still use my keyboard and have the intention to add a few more controller peripherals to my setup, so flying strictly HOTAS isn't something I'm keen on.

In my opinion, I feel more like the curved screens (such as here: http://www.simpit.co.nz ) are more the way of the future over goggles/headsets. To me, that seems like more of an immersive experience!

I personally fly HOTAS, and even with that I have no desire or plan to join the VR thing.

One reason  because I get motion sickness fairly easily, I can handle my monitor and Track IR ok, pretty sure I would really struggle with VR technology. I do not even play FPS games for this reason, they really make me sick. For whatever reason flight and racing sims do not bother me that much.

So no you are not alone, I am not at all caught up with what may be coming down the pike VR wise, and have no plans to add anything VR to my gaming experience.

I will sure give it a try when it hits the market. Something to be warned about though is the system spec is basically 3x as demanding as running a 1080p game. So it's going to require a very strong PC to get the best performance. Also the requirement of a 90 fps signal pretty well is not achievable by any flight sim I've seen. But we will see what the future holds.

I'll propably be late on the bandwagon, even if VR catches on for real this time around.

I'd love for it to actually work as well as some people seem to expect, but I remain mildly sceptical.

What seems to be a given fact is, that even if some of the current VR projects turn out to be near perfect and deliver on all their promises, the technology will still spread slowly due to the high cost and the fact that it takes some getting used to. It will definately remain a niche product for the foreseeable future.

I was surprised at how high the system requirements for the occulus rift were (I wonder if Facebook were too). I doubt VR will have much widespread popularity unless that can be solved.

I think the technology is fascinating and there is a lot of buzz about it but like the 3D TV craze that went for a few years and then was dropped... I'm not sure if VR has entertainment staying power right now.

The immersion is a huge draw for VR but I also think that it might be too much immersion. I'm fairly resistant to motion sickness but I've tried playing Call of Duty in 3D once and it was too much. After 15-20 minutes I was feeling pretty queasy.

Instead I am much more interested in what the UHD technology does to the display market. A wider colour gamut and higher pixel density (4K) is much more appealing. I CAN see VR taking off in the R&D and quick prototyping area.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive

Mods, feel free to move this into the Free Subject section if need be.

Am I the only one who isn't caught up in the hype about all these VR goggles/head pieces? I haven't tried them, I just don't see them being as immersive as many have said. My reason being is that while I'm sure it puts you as feeling like you're really in the cockpit like no other, I feel like the immersion is broken the moment you have to reach for a different control. I still use my keyboard and have the intention to add a few more controller peripherals to my setup, so flying strictly HOTAS isn't something I'm keen on.

In my opinion, I feel more like the curved screens (such as here: http://www.simpit.co.nz ) are more the way of the future over goggles/headsets. To me, that seems like more of an immersive experience!

don't say i didn't warn you.... :)

Because of an eye condition they won't work for me in any case, neither do "3D" films.

Looks like I'll be able to save a lot of money...  :P

How are you going to see your keyboard? this is the big stumbling block for me. you would need a clickable pit to start with and then have a hotas with a spare hat for the mouse.

How are you going to see your keyboard? this is the big stumbling block for me. you would need a clickable pit to start with and then have a hotas with a spare hat for the mouse.

There was some idea they could have a forward facing camera that could make the view either switchable or transparent. Who knows?

Instead I am much more interested in what the UHD technology does to the display market. A wider colour gamut and higher pixel density (4K) is much more appealing.

I figured 4K would be more useful in flight sims too, but it comes with the same warning with regard to GPU cost. Check out my signature line and you'll see.

If VR is 3x as demanding as 1080p then UHD is 4x as demanding. It's not quite ready for mainstream use either.

I figured 4K would be more useful in flight sims too, but it comes with the same warning with regard to GPU cost. Check out my signature line and you'll see.

If VR is 3x as demanding as 1080p then UHD is 4x as demanding. It's not quite ready for mainstream use either.

Current recommendations are for a GTX 970 and up for acceptable 4K gaming at the moment. Its a bit much for everyone to have the 4K experience right now... but give it 3 years and more and more people will be pushing the higher pixel densities but maybe more importantly better colour gamut. We're sticklers for detail on everything else in the sim world - that VVS red star better be the 100% correct shade of red or else! :)

Current recommendations are for a GTX 970 and up for acceptable 4K gaming at the moment. Its a bit much for everyone to have the 4K experience right now... but give it 3 years and more and more people will be pushing the higher pixel densities but maybe more importantly better colour gamut. We're sticklers for detail on everything else in the sim world - that VVS red star better be the 100% correct shade of red or else! :)

A 970 won't handle 4K at high graphic settings. Not even a single Titan X will run most games (Far Cry, Battlefield) on Ultra at the requisite 60fps. It takes two of them. To run on 4K/Ultra/60 FPS BoS needs SLI as well. Check out this thread.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/15870-bos-4kuhd-experiences/

And this

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/15855-who-has-geforce-titan-x/

Edited by SharpeXB

A 970 won't handle 4K. Not even a single Titan X will run most games (Far Cry, Battlefield) on Ultra at the requisite 60fps. It takes two of them. To run on 4K/Ultra/60 FPS BoS needs SLI as well. Check out this thread.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/15870-bos-4kuhd-experiences/

Very interesting indeed. BoS is probably heavier than anything else :)

Give it a few years.

Perhaps try 3D vision to get an idea. Personally I can't see myself every going back to 2D. The cockpits paricularly in certain ligjhting conditions are fantastic. Ok it doesn t have the immersion of closed goggles but I can see the keyboard.

Cheers,

Lfox

I haven't tried them,

Try them first, then talk :). I've tried both the DK1 and DK2 of Occulus Rift and it is very immersive (but nauseating as well, and grainy as hell).

That said - even if you fly with HOTAS it will be tricky operating all the commands without looking at your keyboard etc. If someone came up with the ability to track your hand movements and link that with switches in the cockpit that would probably do the trick, but it will take time before someone does. So it is probably the future, but it will take a lot of time... 

• Upvote 1

I would have a problem with this.. I'd hate to be in an environment where I could not see or hear what is around me...  This is one reason why I never liked listening to music with closed headphones...  For me a TIR and a HOTAS will be SoP for some time...

Sooner than some devs think noone will be flying any sim that doesnt offer VR support.

People will just move on.

Just imgaine actually sitting INSIDE the plane. Realizing that the thing you sit is a machine with several meters of wingspan instead of just looking there thru a small 27 inch sized window that leaves you with the COMPLETE lack of the sense of size.

What we have now to me feels somewhat like flying a RC plane. From the outside. Not really being there.

After trying VR i knew this would be the future. There is no way around it.

• Upvote 2

Try them first, then talk :). I've tried both the DK1 and DK2 of Occulus Rift and it is very immersive (but nauseating as well, and grainy as hell).

That said - even if you fly with HOTAS it will be tricky operating all the commands without looking at your keyboard etc. If someone came up with the ability to track your hand movements and link that with switches in the cockpit that would probably do the trick, but it will take time before someone does. So it is probably the future, but it will take a lot of time... 

How about a "hot-key" to give a quick "external view" (a view outside of the VR device) by using a cellphone like camera... with a transparency level slider like must games have for HUDs and such (only the game would be what becomes more transparent). I don't know if that would increase the nausea factor or in some other way mess with our brains, but other then that I can't see a reason why it couldn't be done. It wouldn't even need to interact with the PC at all (so no GPU processing hit). Again just have it work like looking through a cell phone when shooting a video and (maybe) problem solved.

Edited by GhostLine06

Haha - I'm already doing the goggles thing with a Fat Shark connected to my quad. 

woohoo.   :biggrin:   

:)

Flying with a curved display would be awesome, but no where near as cheap or  immersive as VR.   There is no doubt that Vive and Oculus type headsets will take longer to increase market share, simply because of the system requirements.   That will change as systems become more powerful and less expensive.   The developers have said they are targeting PC gamers, many of  whom already have highend systems, or only need to upgrade certain parts.   The popularity of mobile type headsets will escalate quickly as a pricy computer won't be needed.

As far as not seeing your peripherals.  It won't be a problem for most Hotas users, as they will quickly learn to use their systems without having to look.   Those that use keyboards extensively will have a steeper learning curve.   Voice activated systems will be very handy, especially for offline coms, but would work just as well for some other input solutions.   The immersion factor of VR will make you want to learn how to eliminate the need for keyboard.  That said I know how to type so its fairly easy to find the keys without having to look. 

As a side note, take a look at this Youtube video of guy that setup his radio controlled P51 with a rotating camera setup in the cockpit, so he could fly his aircraft from the cockpit view using an Oculus prototype.  Its so cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=984tPA7k3yg

VR will be the shit

Wrong ,VR will a passing fad and a stepping stone that will give way to a direct neural interface via a spinal implant..... :o:

Wrong ,VR will a passing fad and a stepping stone that will give way to a direct neural interface via a spinal implant..... :o:

This.

The only trouble then is if you die in the game, you die for real!

Edited by SharpeXB

As a side note, take a look at this Youtube video of guy that setup his radio controlled P51 with a rotating camera setup in the cockpit, so he could fly his aircraft from the cockpit view using an Oculus prototype.  Its so cool.

Damn, that is cool! Watching a crash of that model would be a terrifying experience, too, especially with a Rift on your face!

VR will be the shit

A practical, efficient and affordable one would be.  I don't think they are going to manage that for a good long while yet though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=984tPA7k3yg

That is just amazing!

After a few more search on that tpic, I found that french guy's who try to recreate RC dogfights.. just watch these, and found them really cool too! (even if the gunnery skills are maybe a bit creapy..... (so do I ))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTScNHvVbyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wloaoq3gOPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP6AJa0zLPs

Have to say that I find this way of flying pretty damn immersive too but not to be put in irresponsible hands cause it can still be a bit dangerous...

S!

and for fun the first one... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkHkWy9S4nw

Eventually they will be the future for the majority.. But, I think there are some out there that will never be able to take advantage of the HMD due to the potential sea sickness incurred due to many factors, most notably lag.

Good thing I've never been remotely motion sick!

If occulus rift really ends up being $350... There is no way I wouldn't end up buying one....

I've been wanting something like that since the stupid turret defend game they had in the movies theaters a while ago....

I've tried 3d movies/games and such but that is nothing compared to what OR will HOPEFULLY bring to the virtual table.... Some way to track body movement would be great.as.well

I can imagine virtually handling firearms in arma and whatnot... Would be cool as long as you don't accidentally punch something lol

I don't believe VR sets will come anywhere near to becoming standard equipment for gamers in the foreseeable future. I can't imagine wearing that thing on may head for more than 15 minutes  :rolleyes:

personally i think it makes more sense to have a laser projector on your forehead

you could turn any room into a virtual space

personally i think it makes more sense to have a laser projector on your forehead

you could turn any room into a virtual space

Not your forehead, dude :wacko:  - retina :) And yes, it probably will be very interesting. The problem with that approach is "full occlusion" scenario (i.e. fully generated simulated environment, as opposed to just objects appearing in thin air...).

nope i really meant forehead

from your forhead it comes a laser projection ON THE WALLS

You meant into your forehead and directly and into your brain probably. My forehead is too old wrinkly to work as a projection screen so these would be for a younger generation?

Edited by roaming_gnome

I am rethinking my position on this based on this.

If this trend continues then VR will definitely be the way of the future..