I saw how you destroyed all Russian defenses all by yourself, that's why I moved the Russian patrol to better cover the battlefield :) I've also added il2s that attack the tank column while it's on the road.

The plane was moving on its own on this instance quoted above. Thanks very much for the reply to my question.

Stuka bombing runs. The first one saw the objective destroyed, but cost the pilot and its gunner their lives.

post-31381-0-39726900-1441054603_thumb.jpgpost-31381-0-58397000-1441054604_thumb.jpgpost-31381-0-74040800-1441054605_thumb.jpg

post-31381-0-32761200-1441054606_thumb.jpgpost-31381-0-98541100-1441054606_thumb.jpgpost-31381-0-83533800-1441054607_thumb.jpg

post-31381-0-33908900-1441054608_thumb.jpg

The second one was a miss, but the crew made it back to friendly territory. Finding a place to crash-land is always interesting on the Velikie-Luki map.

post-31381-0-79786800-1441054608_thumb.jpgpost-31381-0-39618200-1441054609_thumb.jpgpost-31381-0-44965000-1441054610_thumb.jpg

By the way, I got a message about friendly fire. That's a bit confusing. Is it because of the neutral installations nearby taking hits? Should it be so?

Source files for the Rush mission are available there: https://bitbucket.org/johdex/rush/src

My server is now running an updated Rush. Quite a few changes to phase 1, and some of phase 2 is now in place. I've also added airstarts for level bombers, climbing isn't always very fun. There are also airstarts for fighters. Not sure I will let them in, but I thought some people may lack the patience to taxi and take-off.

I've disabled the second server running Counter-Offensive until I've removed a few units to avoid the server overload message.

Phases 2 and 3 are in place. Phase 2 has AI planes, phase 3 hasn't got any yet.

Something worth noting: in the mission editor, you can use camera operator MCUs to place cameras that are used during spectating. I've used that to provide aerial views of the objectives. This can help locate targets before bombing runs.

post-31381-0-81267100-1441827463_thumb.png

The updated mission is running on my server, starting directly from phase 2. I haven't yet properly configured the server's environment to restart DServer.exe when it crashes, so if you don't see the server in the list, or if it's acting up, I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Edited by coconut

Thanks Jupp, but I'm running a special setting where DServer crashes in a special way, making the crash harder to detect. But I'm sure I'll figure out a way soon...

Hi Coconut!

I'm hoping you have already been through this in your mission making efforts...Is it possible to cut the drain on cpu resources for objects(search lights in this case) that are "Deactivated" by sending a "delete" command and still have them "Activated" later in some way? I noticed that if I have 500 deactivated objects with 500 complex triggers on the map that I get the same performance on the Dserver that I would with if I had a larger number of those deactivated objects grouped under one complex trigger (not what I was hoping for). 

Thanks.

Typically you would use a spawner to create new units after deleting the old ones. That only works for trains and individual units, not for columns of vehicles.

Typically you would use a spawner to create new units after deleting the old ones. That only works for trains and individual units, not for columns of vehicles.

Got it. Is there is a restriction for use for MP only or SP only use for the spawner?

Got it. Is there is a restriction for use for MP only or SP only use for the spawner?

Can't edit above post, but it should work for me as long as spawner works in MP.

The spawner works both in SP and MP. Most MCUs do, actually (even the complex trigger, which is sometimes incorrectly referred as being MP-only).

A video from phase 2:

The server is now running phase 1 and phase 2. I played phase 3 with a few people yesterday, and while it was fun, I don't think the stuff happening on the ground and in the air is interesting enough. Back to the drawing board for phase 3. Or maybe I'll just keep two phases. They give about 140min of action, which maybe is a bit short, but still gives plenty of time, especially considering there are airspawns for the bombers. I'll consider moving airspawns for the Stukas and He111 closer to the action, as the Russians have significantly faster attack planes.

On the other hand, this is an ideal mission for the Fw190. Take a bomb, drop it on some ground objective, then stay on the objective to establish air dominance. Who needs a Stuka in this setting?

Nice! I'll have to check out it next week when work quiets down for me.

Here is the latest version of Rush. It contains a phase 3 that was completely redone. Now it features flights of Stukas that attack the defenses at Kuniya. Sadly, it suffers from the same issues as the old phase 3: Units that spawn by getting activated spawn damaged. Still no idea what's going on there...

For this reason, there is a timer that shortcuts the start of phase 3 to an end of mission trigger.

Hi Coconut, all good but each time a phase changes several of us get kicked.  It seemed specifically at the time an objective was met.

von Tom

Edited by von_Tom

Thanks @@von_Tom, I think it might be due to multiple objects spawning at once. I've changed the mission to spawn units in smaller groups, spread over time. Let's see if that takes care of it.

Hi Coconut

I had a lot of fun on your server tonight, I must have flown at least 10 full flights in the P-40.

I did have a few crashes and the odd disconnect (the latter was very odd and I had a message I've not seen before). It's entirely possible that it's either BOS bugs, my PC or something not mission related but thought I'd let you know just in case.

Twice BOS crashed just after releasing a 500 Lb bomb on the bridge that the tanks are about to cross in the Northern wave (closest to VL)

I also noticed slow downs flying near that area once and also had one slow down near the southern column. It seems like sometimes it clears up and other times went on to crash fully. The other time I found a slow down was near that solitary AAA truck near where the southern tanks start out.

Anyway I've been meaning to have a proper go on your server and have been looking out for it especially since the P-40 was released so thanks for hosting it.

The effects and artillery fire are absolutely brilliant and very immersive and seeing aircraft appear to do various things (no spoiler) just added to the immersion and connected well to the mission and not as if they'd been thrown in as an afterthought.

Could you let me know what times you normally host this mission, also are you planning to update the zip file above? I've love to see what this looked like with snow :D

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick!

Twice BOS crashed just after releasing a 500 Lb bomb on the bridge that the tanks are about to cross in the Northern wave (closest to VL)

Thanks for reporting that. I'll try that and see if it's an easily reproducible crash. Not much I can do to fix that on my side, but it would be valuable information for the devs.

I also noticed slow downs flying near that area once and also had one slow down near the southern column. It seems like sometimes it clears up and other times went on to crash fully. The other time I found a slow down was near that solitary AAA truck near where the southern tanks start out.

There are two kinds of slowdowns I have noticed: When the vehicle columns are in your field of vision, framerates can drop to 45 or 30 FPS. I have done what I could to avoid that by diminishing the number of ground vehicles, but there's a minimum I need to have a working ground battle. Here again, not much I can do, it's up to the devs to improve the situation.

Then there are also pretty harsh stutters and freezes when the server spawns units, which often result in disconnects or even crashes. This typically happens at the start of a new phase, when defenses are spawned. Here again, it's up to devs to improve things there. What I could do is spawn everything at the start of the mission, but that would allow German players to attack ahead of the front line advance, and would put more CPU load on the server. Might be worth a try.

Anyway I've been meaning to have a proper go on your server and have been looking out for it especially since the P-40 was released so thanks for hosting it.   The effects and artillery fire are absolutely brilliant and very immersive and seeing aircraft appear to do various things (no spoiler) just added to the immersion and connected well to the mission and not as if they'd been thrown in as an afterthought.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed your time there. If you try it again on a prime time evening, you might find the server more populated with crazy dogfights.

Could you let me know what times you normally host this mission, also are you planning to update the zip file above? I've love to see what this looked like with snow :D

I will be hosting that mission all the time until I'm done with the next one, which I'm keeping under wraps until the summer maps are released. The server is normally up all the time, with the exception of weeks when there's an update that requires changes to the mission, as I don't always have the time to do the server update and mission fixes before the next week-end.

Here is the latest version of the mission: Rush.zip

A disclaimer: The mission file is automatically built from multiple other files, and as such isn't really fit for manual editing. It shouldn't be a problem if all you plan to do is to change the weather, but for deeper changes you might want to check the sources instead on https://bitbucket.org/johdex/rush/downloads 

I'm not so sure it's the tanks though, they were already spawned. It might have been something else that was spawning in that I didn't see aircraft or something in VL itself maybe. 

I could see the entire column of tanks in the southern group (as I flew along the road) and had zero impact on FPS many times.

The pause in the South near that solitary AAA was odd because I don't think I was that close to the tanks, is it a small calibre gun truck? are small calibre guns still causing issues in the game? There is an AAA gun near the bridge I attacked as well....just thinking out loud.

Anyway I'll get on it again soon and let you know how it goes....like I said the issue could be BOS/Bug or even my PC, I was recording tracks at the time. 

I just tried bombing the first bridge with the P-40. Got the bridge and two static trucks, no crash. Will try again, maybe it's the destruction of the AAA truck (which is a flak38 truck, to answer your question).

Thanks to all the people who came tonight. Sadly, it showed phase 2 will have to go on a diet, the CPU could not take the load. I'm a bit surprised, because the phase seemed OK before, but it was never tested with that many people. I think we were around 14 (yeah, I know, nothing compared to WOL, but I have lots of AIs doing their thing).

Also sorry for the massive disconnects experienced during the start of phase 2. It seems it doesn't matter if I spread the spawn of the ground units or spawn them all at once, everybody crashes. Except me, which makes me think maybe the network settings were the problem.

Myself and Custard loved it still and had a blast.

I can test running the mission on my server with custard and myself to see if there is any difference i.e. network settings etc and will let you know if there is any difference although I can't imagine there would be.

New version of Rush :

• AI interceptors now use BOS planes on both sides (mc202 and P40, respectively)
  • Improved tank platoon logic. An abandoned vehicle now deletes itself if it blocks another vehicle coming its way. Without this, it's enough to kill one vehicle on the road, and then all AA trucks that come after crash into the wreck, which makes it a little too easy for Russians to win phase 1
  • Vehicle columns now perform an emergency stop and fire a flare to request help when they see an enemy plane approaching them. In older versions, they did that whenever they took damage, even when the unit inflicting damage was a ground unit.
  • Spread out AI ground unit spawns in an attempt to avoid crashes during phase change. It does not seem to help, sadly.
  • AIs will now land when they return home, instead of just disappearing.

Known bugs:

• Soldiers at airfields are not visible.
  • AAA inside captured territory can still respawn as Russian.

I'll probably keep my server off-line, or run another mission this week-end (oct. 10). If you want to play it, you can try Superdupont Ze Frenchspykingue Serveur .

It's french-speaking, so when you connect, you'll have to say "Salut tout le monde" instead of "hi all"  :)

Thanks to -LaFrench-LoupVert for running the mission!

Edited by coconut
  • Upvote 1

The Rush mission, early morning, phase 1, with a snow storm.

(Be sure to check 15:40 in the video)

Edited by coconut

This is what is coming up next:

A mission where you get to use a web-based interface to control AIs in the mission. I'm starting with tanks, but it should work for AI plane flights too. Still a lot of work to do, but the technology bits are coming together nicely.

• Upvote 3

Sounds interesting.  So basically you're making them dance to your tune.  Once a mission is running on the d-server I would be able to give them instructions at any point?

Sounds interesting.  So basically you're making them dance to your tune.  Once a mission is running on the d-server I would be able to give them instructions at any point?

Yes, exactly.

There is a slight problem, though: it's a game for patient people, as tanks move at a realistic speed. The mission is set to play on the Stalingrad map around Tuzov (412-3, 30km west of Kalach), We'll see how this pans out. It could be a nice aspect, actually. Log in in the morning to set your tanks in motion, check on them now and then during the day, fight the battle at Tuzov in the evening. That would take a coordinated team effort, with people flying recon and cover missions throughout the day.

Another option is to have three "waves" of ground forces. First wave starts 10km from the objective, second 20km away, and so on. The initial waves start in the open and are likely to suffer heavy losses. They would only be meant to soften the objective. That way, if commanders keep moving all waves, you will always have a battle going on at the objective.

Just wow! That's groundbreaking.

A web-based interface to control AIs in the mission opens a lot of possibilities. What does it take server side?

Edited by -LaFrench-LoupVert

All it takes is to enable the remote console in the server configuration file, and a program that acts as a web server and a remote console. I'll be releasing all the bits once I've cleaned up my project files. I'm no web developer, so that part is rather messy at the moment.

I'll also start running a small mission on a corner of the the vluki map between novosokolniky and velikie luki on my server soon, probably later this evening. I first started a mission the stalingrad map, but I don't think it's fit for quick testing. The many rivers and bridges on vluki are also ideal, they provide choke points, and the forests can be very effective for hiding vehicles from planes.

It's live now. It should work for anything that can be connected to a server input MCU, so yes. But with same limitations as usual, meaning that if you spawn the same unit twice before the first one is deleted, you will get a weird behaviour.

A few quick tips to get you started

• If a unit has received a stop order in the past, it must get a continue before it will move again
  • Formation orders by themselves don't get units moving, they also need a destination or direction
  • German units are initially on the eastern side of Novosokolniky
  • Russian units are initially on the western side of Velikie Luki
  • To know who is who on the ground, you can use the flare orders
  • Spectating is enabled, and you can use f5 and f11 to observe the ground.

Icons are enabled. This is for testing purposes, I'm not sure how I'll do it in the future. Maybe allow spectating, no icons. Maybe we'll need more fine-grained restrictions on spectating, e.g. to allow only close spectating of friendly ground units.

There are currently no restrictions on who can move what, but that will change in the future. For now, be nice, and don't steal your friends' or enemies' units  ;)

Edited by coconut

yep oustanding work Coconut !

I've never thought to use the server input this way and that's very smart  ;)

I don't have any problems to use server inputs using the remote console but you will have to explain me how you control the remote console thru a web page  ;)

Did you notice instability with the remote console, because sometimes, it crashed the dserver when you send a command.