Zaknafein

Time sequence reset, how ?

Hi all.

I can not solve last puzzle that will allow me to complete the mission.

What I have:

When plane enter in complex trigger air space, then start time sequence of 10 seconds countdown to 0 , then truck fire flare and lunch Ai air strike.

But when plane left, time stop, when back again, time start when he left, also start time again.

At the end of the output time sequence we have 2 signals, and truck lunch two flare and Ai air strike.

I noticed that trigger activate and deactivate only freeze trigger timer, so my question is, how to do reset trigger timer ?

RoF mission builder file

S!

We can't reset the timer before it end. That's someting we asked. The timer has to go to the end to be reset.

ehh... im disapointed.

too bad that MCU are not open in mission builder, who know maybe some good programist add a little more triggers.

ok thx for answer.

S!

There may be ways to work around that limitation, I think. For instance, using an additional 0s timer (a very popular construct...):

deactivate ---+
                          |
                          V
timer 0s -> timer 10s -> timer 0s
     |                    ^
     |                    |
     +----> activate -----+

That will not reset the timer, but it well let its signal go to waste, provided the second triggering of the leftmost timer 0s does not happen within 10s of the first one.

This trick makes it possible to use the random choice construct multiple times, for instance.

Another trick which may be acceptable is to use a counter instead. The advantage is that you can reset counters (although in not very direct way), see http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/14803-groups-sharing-corner/page-2?do=findComment&comment=247467

I was pretty sure someone had posted an improved version of my resetable counter, but I can't find it again.

Edited by coconut

Thx Coconut.

I figured how stop second signal when first is active, something similar what you write.

Its second time when i must reinvent the mission because something can not be done. However, I am determined to finish it, then I'll try to do something differently with your example.

S!

Hi Coconut.

Have no idea about yours post today, I'm also solved my puzzle used yours idea with trigger timer settings on 0 time and activated and deactivated this TT.

Posted 23 May 2015 - 15:19

There may be ways to work around that limitation, I think. For instance, using an additional 0s timer (a very popular construct...):

deactivate ---+
                                                 |
                                                 V
timer
0s -> timer 10s -> timer 0s
 |                                               ^
 |                                               |

+-------> activate -------------+

That will not reset the timer, but it well let its signal go to waste, provided the second triggering of the leftmost timer 0s does not happen within 10s of the first one.

This trick makes it possible to use the random choice construct multiple times, for instance.

I tested this example, but crashed trigger 10s, on a single trigger 1s and created a chain. Activated all timer 0s when plane entered, and deactivated all when left.

timer 0s was a my "stop sign", and sequence begins again. I spend 4 days searching my "stop sign", and this is it. I have no idea that trigger timer with all settings 0 and random 100% work like this.

Also confirm "This trick makes it possible to use the random choice construct multiple times, for instance." works well :)

Thx again.

This example should be in manual.

Edited by Zaknafein

This example should be in manual.

I'll include the example in the editor manual. Very slow progress right now as my editor doesn't work (devs working on solution).

Jim

Edited by JimTM

Coconut,

Thanks for the Reset Timer group that you posted. If you have time, can you please post an explanation of the group. I'm familiar with the random timer scheme introduced in the RoF editor manual section 7.8.9 and I'm trying to make it work multiple times (in the RoF editor) but with no luck. However, I'm not really following how your scheme is working and where the inputs and outputs for mission events go. 

Thanks!

Its ease, you can't stop the timer with random set, but trigger timer with all set 0 and random 100%. This trigger timer (stopper) must be between trigger timer (random) and out.

Thanks Zaknafein. I still need more detail to really understand how to use this. E.g., I have a message link input to my random switch and that switch is output to two different test subtitles. Where does the input and output connect in Reset Timer? I also need to understand the basic principles behind the design of the ResetTimer group. If some of the design is a "popular construct" as Coconut mentioned, I'd like to introduce the general ideas in the manual.

One of my goals in writing the manual is to provide novices with the tools they need to understand complex missions and gradually apply that knowledge as they gain experience with the editor. I may not be able to explain every nut and bolt of a particular design, but I want to at least tease out the principles. In this way, I hope to make the mission editor more popular with folks who are not editing gurus.  :-)

Cheers!

Jim

Edited by JimTM

Jim, have you seen my other post in the group sharing forum? I wrote some explanations there. Let me know if you need more.

Edited by coconut

Thanks very much Coconut, I'll have a look and get back to you.