14JG5_Droz

Still no advanced graphics options?

Come on.   Just getting back into BOS, and I still can't customize my graphics options.  This makes no sense to me.

• Upvote 4

Nor to most of the rest of us, but fortunately it seems to be less of a practical problem and more an issue of principle. BoS runs fine on a wide range of machines with those presets and it looks great even on the lowest setting.

Yep, it makes no sense at all but I have learned to live with that. Hope we get at least some options back in the future, like SSAO and so on.

• Upvote 2

A funny sidenote: GTA5, which is propably the ultimate incarnation of a typical consolegame for the entertainment hungry masses, has no presets at all. It features lots of options to customize the graphics according to the hardwarde you use in your PC...

• Upvote 1

The advanced graphics options are not removed. They just hide the config.ini from us inside the .gtp files. With Mods On Mode you have the full access to the advanced graphics options. BTW I wonder if there is a Graphic Setting above Ultra? Could be possible Zak said something about a Graphic Setting or did he mean the game physics not sure which one it was where the game engine run into slow motion if there are more than three planes that fly. Interesting story to known if something above Ultra Settings exist or are the Ultra Setting the sweet spot and all what is above turn into slow motion?

Just give us the option to turn off SSAO and I'd be happy. It's badly implemented and has been since day 1 with no sign of it being fixed. I want to play on ultra but the filmy effect from SSAO is horrific. 

The advanced graphics options are not removed. They just hide the config.ini from us inside the .gtp files. With Mods On Mode you have the full access to the advanced graphics options. BTW I wonder if there is a Graphic Setting above Ultra? Could be possible Zak said something about a Graphic Setting or did he mean the game physics not sure which one it was where the game engine run into slow motion if there are more than three planes that fly. Interesting story to known if something above Ultra Settings exist or are the Ultra Setting the sweet spot and all what is above turn into slow motion?

You gotta take into account that "Ultra" is just a preset that they thought would be equivalent to that. Things like draw distance can always be set to much higher values, although probably still limited by what the engine can take.

Hopefully at some point this will be addressed.. I am hoping that once BoM is released and whatever optimizations they are doing behind the scenes to the engine are completed then full graphics options can be reinstated like they were during EA along with the presets. If you can't get your setup to run right with custom settings then just revert back to the presets. We'll see...  I am a little disappointed that there is no bigger update today than the skins thing.. but who knows.. we have been known to get updates on other days ...

I am a little disappointed that there is no bigger update today than the skins thing..

I didn't realise that was it for the week. 

You gotta take into account that "Ultra" is just a preset that they thought would be equivalent to that. Things like draw distance can always be set to much higher values, although probably still limited by what the engine can take.

I known, what I mean is if something above Ultra exist or is Ultra just all Settings here set to maximum????

i8aj2o9lsi6l.jpg

Edited by Superghostboy
  • Upvote 1

@ Feathered and BC: I don't think it is.

Edited by Finkeren

Yep: Here we go. Just a few in-game shots of the I-16 and a mention of the skin suggestions forum.

Nothing fancy.

Yeah - this is a real problem for some of us anyway.  BoS remains on the shelf for me, and will until this issue gets addressed.  I keep coming back in after each patch/update to check it out, but when I see that the "circle of blur" effect is still here and we still don't have any chance to play with graphics options to maybe address it ourselves, BoS goes back on the shelf till the next update.

Very frustrating.  Sure, there are things that I could be doing to learn the planes and stuff in the meantime, but I just can't gin up any enthusiasm to spend my time doing that without any real hope/promise that they're ever going to make the custom graphics settings available so I can take advantage of all the money I spent on hardware to make this game look good.  I had to spend a lot of time fiddling with settings to get the original IL-2 to look and work like I wanted it to, but I was able to do that and played it for years and enjoyed the heck out of it.  I had to spend a lot of time fiddling with settings to get RoF to look and work like I wanted it to, but I was able to do that and have been playing it for years and enjoying the heck out of it.  I haven't been able to get BoS to look/play like I want it and it's been sitting on the shelf pretty much the whole time (except for the dark times when I did the unlocks on auto-pilot) and I haven't been able to enjoy it much at all yet and I stay depressed about its future most of the time.

Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a pattern and a lesson to be learned here.

• Upvote 2

I known, what I mean is if something above Ultra exist or is Ultra just all Settings here set to maximum????

i8aj2o9lsi6l.jpg

I don't have this screen....??? Why? I have the latest release....I was online last night....what have I missed or missing? Help!

Edited by CuMelter

In a relatively short time span, 777/1C will have to step on the gas regarding graphic specs/ technology... DX12 is already on our doorsteps.... So is 3D .... Competition offers lots of 

graphic control and "enhancements" ... 3D is already "implanted" in some of those games...

The better the graphics, the better the feel of immersion... I don't think we can escape that reality.

What 'competition' is that? I ask in all seriousness. BoS/BoM is the only historical WW2 flight sim currently in development by a professional team.

While I acknowledge the amazing work done by Team Fusion they are not professionals and can't be expected to work as fast as 1C/777 or be up-to-date with the newest technology.

DCS World is not a historical WW2 CFS and won't be for years to come, if ever. ED is currently struggling to just get EDGE alpha out of the door and has a long history of pushing deadlines. I don't see them moving to DX12 anytime soon.

WT is less of a sim (though I won't go as far as calling it 'not a sim') and lives off providing massive amounts of content at little cost. They're not going to jump through good to satisfy a minority of players with high-end gear.

BoS/BoM is pretty much the only game in town.

A graphic effect in the game that is really awful is this fog over your eyes. Is that what everyone is calling SSAO? It's really not "Ambient Occlusion" or looks nothing like what that's supposed to be. It just looks like your wearing dirty goggles. The effect is much more pronounced at High than Ultra. Even if we don't get customized graphic settings that effect should just be removed as it adds nothing and looks really odd.

What 'competition' is that? I ask in all seriousness. BoS/BoM is the only historical WW2 flight sim currently in development by a professional team.

While I acknowledge the amazing work done by Team Fusion they are not professionals and can't be expected to work as fast as 1C/777 or be up-to-date with the newest technology.

DCS World is not a historical WW2 CFS and won't be for years to come, if ever. ED is currently struggling to just get EDGE alpha out of the door and has a long history of pushing deadlines. I don't see them moving to DX12 anytime soon.

WT is less of a sim (though I won't go as far as calling it 'not a sim') and lives off providing massive amounts of content at little cost. They're not going to jump through good to satisfy a minority of players with high-end gear.

BoS/BoM is pretty much the only game in town.

''BoS/BoM is pretty much the only game in town''  ...  Yeah...Maybe for a few hundred hardcore simmers, that would be true. But if you are one of a kind sim, top of the line based on very subtle  flight behavior and technical DATA from the '40, but not on par on graphics with all the other games available, being flight sims or not, you run the risk of being put down...... If IL2 BOS/BOM is the reference in the genre, it should also be impeccable in terms of graphics and gameplay. Otherwise, the only people who would trade the looks for the accurate DATA will be...Us...The few hundreds... Being the "only game" does not  make it more acceptable to have less graphic quality...And certainly not because it can't be compared !

Cheers  :salute: 

• Upvote 1

But if you are one of a kind sim, top of the line based on very subtle  flight behavior and technical DATA from the '40, but not on par on graphics with all the other games available, being flight sims or not, you run the risk of being put down...... If IL2 BOS/BOM is the reference in the genre, it should also be impeccable in terms of graphics and gameplay.

So to summarise your position:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDcoX7s6rE

That being said, you do have a point when it comes to gameplay etc. but honestly I think BoS more than holds up in the graphics department, especially when looking at other flight sims.

A graphic effect in the game that is really awful is this fog over your eyes. Is that what everyone is calling SSAO? It's really not "Ambient Occlusion" or looks nothing like what that's supposed to be. It just looks like your wearing dirty goggles. The effect is much more pronounced at High than Ultra. Even if we don't get customized graphic settings that effect should just be removed as it adds nothing and looks really odd.

Yes that's the effect that SSAO has. Your best option is to go with the balanced settings as you keep the draw distance and the filmy effect is quite reduced (though still visible). This bug has been there since day 1 of EA. 

Yes that's the effect that SSAO has. Your best option is to go with the balanced settings as you keep the draw distance and the filmy effect is quite reduced (though still visible). This bug has been there since day 1 of EA.

The effect is hardly noticeable on Ultra. It looks much worse on High. I run on Ultra so it doesn't matter so much to me. But it's a bad effect nonetheless.

Screen Space Ambient Occusion is this effect.

That's not what's in BoS which is just a fog that moves with your head.

post-1189-0-39516600-1432316485_thumb.jpg

Edited by SharpeXB

Surely the call should be to improve SSAO rather than want to turn it off? In RoF if you turn off Post processing you get the 'cartoony' look so many have criticised in RoF

Cheers Dakpilot

If IL2 BOS/BOM is the reference in the genre, it should also be impeccable in terms of graphics and gameplay.

CloD tried to be impeccable in graphics, and look where that got them. 

Very true anything is possible with the right budget, CLoD was shaping up to be great, but the budget was removed, outstanding idea but no-one is prepared to pay for it.... ;)

Cheers Dakpilot

Surely the call should be to improve SSAO rather than want to turn it off? In RoF if you turn off Post processing you get the 'cartoony' look so many have criticised in RoF

Yes. Cockpits in particular would look pretty bad without that effect.

so I can take advantage of all the money I spent on hardware to make this game look good.

With your hardware you should be able to make BoS look great. Even without custom settings it's a beautiful game. Honestly the best looking flight sim we have today. Your stuff should run it on Ultra with no trouble.

Edited by SharpeXB

With your hardware you should be able to make BoS look great. Even without custom settings it's a beautiful game. Honestly the best looking flight sim we have today. Your stuff should run it on Ultra with no trouble.

The Question is

is Ultra == Ultra ? or just something between High & Ultra?

I just remember where the new Winter texture arrive and they allow us to spot airfields from far. This is a good point to ask what they not allow us or what they hide from us a better Graphic, effects, draw distance the library is long here.

is Ultra == Ultra ? or just something between High & Ultra?

Well Ultra whatever it is certainly looks very good.

If it can be made to look better than Ultra that would be great too.

No Antialiasing... (cough)

Sorry. Back on topic now...

• Upvote 1

Cheers Dakpilot

Agreed. But fixing it would probably require a reasonable investment of time / money while just giving us an option to switch it off completely would basically be free as they have the relevant code from earlier EA versions sitting around. I'd like if we could get the quick free option now and they can revisit fixing it when they can afford to put the resources into it. 

• Upvote 1

So to summarise your position:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDcoX7s6rE

That being said, you do have a point when it comes to gameplay etc. but honestly I think BoS more than holds up in the graphics department, especially when looking at other flight sims.

Haha!.... Yeah...Well... Because the community is small and that we assume that every company that builds up a hardcore sim has a very limited budget and clientèle, we 

do take for granted that perfect FM, DM , accurate technical DATA and infinite maps will burn up all the energy and budget, and that it is ok then to deal with average graphics so it wont

sink the whole project.  It is a video game that we do watch very closely for hours....So yeah, graphics are the most important aspect once you nailed those FM, DM, and all...

And superior graphics do make superior games once the core is well done.

So you mean that  since Oleg was not able to build his CLOD with great graphics,  other sim developpers should not try to have impeccable graphics either cause for sure they will fail ?

No more super graphics for flight sims ? Ever ?

:rolleyes:

So you mean that  since Oleg was not able to build his CLOD with great graphics,  other sim developpers should not try to have impeccable graphics either cause for sure they will fail ?

No more super graphics for flight sims ? Ever ?

:rolleyes:

Goodness no, I did not mean that at all. What I am saying is Oleg tried to make CloD the ultimate greatest in everything no-holds-barred, and that plan failed. 

That, and please go look up what "impeccable" means. If you are looking for any flight sim to have impeccable graphics, you will be sorely disappointed.

Very true anything is possible with the right budget, CLoD was shaping up to be great, but the budget was removed, outstanding idea but no-one is prepared to pay for it.... ;)

Cheers Dakpilot

Ummm...they spent millions of dollars. Money and time was not the issue. Just failed implementation. I hate this fallacy.

Jason

The ugly old horse that never wants to die no matter how often you beat it. :) Agree on the demand for custom graphic settings, guess I'm old enought to prevent my PC from bursting into flames due to fiddlign with graphic settings (which is normal duty for me in any game...).

It's (still) very sad/unreaosnable that we have to use modding to increase graphical quality somehow above what the game forces us to use. Oh well at least we still have for RoF....

we have to use modding to increase graphical quality somehow above what the game forces us to use.

Such as?

Goodness no, I did not mean that at all. What I am saying is Oleg tried to make CloD the ultimate greatest in everything no-holds-barred, and that plan failed. 

That, and please go look up what "impeccable" means. If you are looking for any flight sim to have impeccable graphics, you will be sorely disappointed.

"If you are looking for any flight sim to have impeccable graphics, you will be sorely disappointed."

Exactly my point. Plenty of "impeccable'' graphics in other kinds of games. Its about time somebody makes a flight sim with "impeccable " graphics."

And again, it is not because there are no flight sims YET with superior graphics that it can't be done. 

And read Jason's comments above  about CLOD's adventure. They had all the means to do the ultimate sim. I am pretty sure Jason would appreciate the kind of budget Oleg had...

And we would already have top notch graphics... ;) 

Cheers Dakpilot

I don't understand this comment at all - I play RoF with all post-processing effects turned off (except raindrops - I love that effect), and there's nothing "cartoony" looking about RoF on those settings and I haven't seen anybody complaining or criticizing about anything like that on the RoF Forums.

Yes, I should be able to, but no matter what I've tried so far I can't get rid of that "bubble of blur" effect and I can't stand trying fly while seeing that, so I'm shelved at the moment until some solution is found.

Edited by TG-55Panthercules

I don't understand this comment at all - I play RoF with all post-processing effects turned off (except raindrops - I love that effect), and there's nothing "cartoony" looking about RoF on those settings and I haven't seen anybody complaining or criticizing about anything like that on the RoF Forums.

That's because the comment was not accurate.

You are correct, and back during EA of BOS  there was a time we could turn that stuff off just like in ROF, and no it was not cartoony.

It worked just like it does for ROF.

A lot of the 'LoD bubble' is enhanced by the low gamma in game settings that have become popular and 'recommended'; personally all it does for me is make the change in forest colour textures more apparent, being mainly snow and forests it makes the LoD bubble more noticeable, a bit more work with monitor calibration does a better job allowing less need for in game low gamma.

Maybe it is placebo effect but to me just having post effects turned on (which you must have to get the raindrops) but no other box's checked in that category gives a much more natural look than if the post effects box is left completely unchecked in RoF

Cheers Dakpilot

post-6177-0-24346600-1432331582_thumb.jpg

post-6177-0-97271700-1432331627_thumb.jpg

post-6177-0-99522400-1432331769_thumb.jpg

post-6177-0-92700700-1432331822_thumb.jpg