Sign in to follow this  
LuseKofte

Had a brake long time from this

And I can see why, tested MP today, got spawnkilled 3 times in a row on 3 different airfields. Nothing wrong with the game, it just not populated enough servers so you got stuck with people just there for a easy kill. I think I wait some more.  if I want to play WT I go WT.   

...people just there for a easy kil

As in all (flight or not) shooting games.  :biggrin:

And I can see why, tested MP today, got spawnkilled 3 times in a row on 3 different airfields. Nothing wrong with the game, it just not populated enough servers so you got stuck with people just there for a easy kill. I think I wait some more.  if I want to play WT I go WT.   

If you die it's your fault not anyone else's :)

This applies to any sim not just BOS

so the moral of this story is, don't play.

• Upvote 2

The moral of the story is be smart

The moral of the story is play offline. The ai is much better than 99% of the online community. Get stuck into the mission builder.

• Upvote 2

The moral of the story is play offline. The ai is much better than 99% of the online community. Get stuck into the mission builder.

Moral of the story is there is a freakin' radar on the opening screen. Spawn away from the front and look for the spawncampers before you enter a server. Same thing you should do in an FPS game. AI sucks in every flight sim, since ever.

• Upvote 2

As in all (flight or not) shooting games.  :biggrin:

Yes right there, that is the difference , this is a fps game not a aviation game. but it could be

You need to start the engines before having anything to say about that matter

Yes for me it is, I have used this as a fast fun game, but it kind of developed into waist of time. But again the sim itself should provide fps and aviator interested people a lot of fun. Just pointing out why I think it does not,  it is more a community development than a sim construction.

I am a offline player by hart, fly 1946. COD servers manage however making the bombers count for something, giving  a online service a reason to go for objectives. I do not think the mission makers are doing wrong, but the majority are exploiting the opportunities . I have nothing against a good strafing run on a airfield, I just got other things to do than spawn into a campers paradise 

In general you are right, but cod have been on the market longer, and spawn camping has developed into a no no. But let the spawn kills be. There are still no mission available on servers today making bombers count for something else than big fat targets. You cannot make anything difference.

So there is no other option than choosing fighters, leaving bomber pilots to other sims. 

I hope in time this develop differently, I love the game itself. But as is. You got only one server populated, and you cannot choose 

Moral of the story is keep turning players away and reducing player numbers because it benefits the game greatly.

AI sucks in every flight sim, since ever.

About this I would argue, while in Il-2 1946 it was terrible and I dont have any great memoirs of it from CloD ... in DCS its more than decent. If you take the highest skill level of Ai in mission builder it behaves logically, uses horizontal and vertical maneuvers ... even scissors which is really cool. Of course its not as good as player but  can give you some challenge anyway. 

Le0ne, I would say that guys are right and you should have checked where to spawn before. But on the other hand I never had much appreciation towards those guys who just strafe everyone who spawns, it takes no skill to kill someone who is starting the engine or is trying to take-off. If they are so hungry of kills than maybe they should think of Counter Strike rather than flight simulation.

Personally I find taking off from an airfield that is further back from the front line the best idea. There is less chance of getting vulched and it gives you more time to climb. When you spawn you can see on the radar (or hear the sirens) if there are bad guys near and if there are you can just spawn somewhere else. 

OP, just wondering, do you find this true of one side more than the other?

Second question is what type of server are you referring to, normal or expert?

Edited by VR_Stick

It seems I was wrong.

The moral of the story is this is a FPS not a flight simulator.

It's not the sim it's the people.

Some do play it like a FPS flight sim and just want instant action. 

• Upvote 1

I just wanted to bring a attention to the way things are played out in servers, my main problem is the fact there is no reason for ground pounding. Not once I have seen a map turn and a side won because of objectives done. I do not mind being a casualty of war game. It just to meet is no purpose doing it.

I think there must be adjusted goals and purpose with a mission, a goal possible to obtain with teamwork. I know I should have asked for cover, I was just in for a 10 minute trial. Then it came back to why I did not bother month ago. It is not the sim , it is how its played out that does not suit me. 

And if I am alone feeling that, well keep on doing it, if there are many more. Why not look at the possibility of a change

I just wanted to bring a attention to the way things are played out in servers, my main problem is the fact there is no reason for ground pounding. Not once I have seen a map turn and a side won because of objectives done. I do not mind being a casualty of war game. It just to meet is no purpose doing it.

I think there must be adjusted goals and purpose with a mission, a goal possible to obtain with teamwork. I know I should have asked for cover, I was just in for a 10 minute trial. Then it came back to why I did not bother month ago. It is not the sim , it is how its played out that does not suit me. 

And if I am alone feeling that, well keep on doing it, if there are many more. Why not look at the possibility of a change

Go on wings of liberty it's 100% bomb spamming madness :D They seem to roll the maps within 30 minutes regularly. Personally I hate that but each to his own.

Actually, the 1CGS server has parameters which give the ground pounders the ability to win the round. It is most often exploited by the Russian side as they eliminate the airfields. On two occasions, however, I have helped win a round by destroying the factory as a Jabo in conjuction with twin engine guys. I've won rounds on points by bombing trains and trucks when DF'ing gets boring. Sitting on the sideline complaining (and this is not directed at you specifically as there are many on these forums posting gameplay STYLE complaints) isn't helping anyone. Gameplay style is on the players, not the game itself. Mission/map makers can and are having an influence now. I have several posts on changing the scoring system to make ground pounding and teamwork more valuable. So, while it may be true that there are too many lone wolves and the focus is generally on the fighters (1CGS is a Normal DF server after all), your conclusion is not universal.

In short, spawn away from the front, bomb up a fighter, better yet take up a bomber, TO ALTITUDE (most seem to fly at around 2k, kinda pointless as an average pilot in a LaGG can climb up to get you), stop complaining and show em how it's done. If you get two more twin engine guys and fly at altitude on comms you could dominated several of the maps. If you don't like the style of gameplay be the paradigm shift. Force the other side to do something about it. It's how actual combat tactics are developed.

You can be the difference but only if you are playing.

Edited by HerrMurf
  • Upvote 1

Always glad to help.

And I by no means intend to imply the game doesn't have plenty of warts. Some we can get around, others we cant. I am hoping for many changes to draw all of the styles of play (MP/SP/Bomber/Fighter/etc) into the game eventually. These start with the DEVS, are implemented by map/mission designers and end with us.

Edited by HerrMurf

I am not a fan of spawn killing, I abhor the cheap nature of some online players, particularly when you consider it takes 5 minutes just to start up and taxi to a runway.  Longer for less experienced players..  When I fly a Fighter, the singular point of it for me is to best someone in aerial combat, so I don't do it.  I even give a buffer to folks who just got airborne.  IRL pilots were not credited with a kill for destroying aircraft on the ground.  Those were lumped into a "Destroyed on the ground category".  As it should be.  I only spawn kill someone if I can find an individual who just did it to me, which is rare and difficult. 

Ground attack aircraft on the other had (Stuka, Pe-2, IL-2, Jabo) made their living on airfield attack.  This is a primary theme on the eastern front and to an extent it should be expected.  Pitomnik, hisorically the center of the Battle of Stalingrad was always at risk of being shelled, bombed, or strafed.  To believe otherwise would be like whining in a Pacific theater game that it is now fair for the other side to dive bomb your carrier.  Really?!

THE SOLUTION:

So be smart.  Unless airfield conditions dictate it, spawn elsewhere.  You'll save yourself a heck of a lot of angst, and if you are smarter, you'll know where to look for your first kill...

Just Sayin...

To the Devs I would suggest not awarding an Aerial kill to players who destroy a player aircraft on the ground.  It only encourages lame behavior.

• Upvote 1

A fix for that would be kills only awarded if the AC is more than 20m in the air. The HUGE con, however, is it would take away from the bombers and ground attack aircraft. I get a fair amount of satisfaction dropping a 500kg bomb from my Jabo on the airstrips but refrain from straffing opposing pilots as it seems cheap.

• Upvote 2

I'll chime in here...when you go online, leave your ego at the door. You're likely to get destroyed a lot, you're likely to lose, you may not even get any points...just treat everything like a learning experience and try to figure out where/what went wrong. It takes time and once you get the hang of things, you'll find yourself having more fun. If you get frustrated, take a break.

On a side note, I think the scoring system needs a serious revision...there needs to be some kind of incentive to encourage/coerce players to participating in all of the objectives rather than attempting to rack up kills and pad out your KDR. For the record, there are several servers that are attempting this with mission objectives and I applaud them for that!  :salute: 

I personally think there should be stepping stones between the "arcade" servers to the full switch/full real ones. If there's any desire to take a bite of WT's player base and attract them, then Normal difficulty servers should be treated like the Historical Battles playlist in WT. Plenty of quicker action with the focus on halfway decent historical representations. Then when players want to take a step up from that, there should be servers that offer a good interim difficulty setting between Normal and Expert. Perhaps turn icons off but leave player map icon on and CEM off. I'd think there should be a good way to get people's feet wet and should they want to eventually go all in, there should be someway to ease them into it.

• Upvote 1

The Baserapers suck and even more the TINY playercount online. 42 for a map of this size is just a joke.

Then add the YAK-1 UFO FM and you crossed the line of issues becoming "gamebreakers". At least IMHO.

Its shrinking but i am STILL have the hope something changes - someday. That will eb the day i come back online. And so my whole squad.

My oppinion is that for any of the ground attack planes, your opponents on the ground are your targets. If you spawn onto an airfield where you can hear the siren, maybe go somewhere else or take your chances.

My oppinion is that for any of the ground attack planes, your opponents on the ground are your targets. If you spawn onto an airfield where you can hear the siren, maybe go somewhere else or take your chances.

Or... have some strategic ground targets for the bombers to attack. Change your airquake mentality. I don't play mp because of the mindset of the vast majority like yourself sharp, the aircraft on the ground are not the main objective. They are not the target. There are ground targets on every server that are the main objective of bombers.

Are you serious... this is vulching. Vulching has been in every online CFS ever made at some point or other as far as I know..  Thius is not new to BoS...  and it was rampant in IL2 which was one of the main reasons I stopped going intoi DF servers and went mainy for coops.. This particular problem is not the sim but the simmers.

I'll chime in here...when you go online, leave your ego at the door. You're likely to get destroyed a lot, you're likely to lose, you may not even get any points...just treat everything like a learning experience and try to figure out where/what went wrong. It takes time and once you get the hang of things, you'll find yourself having more fun. If you get frustrated, take a break.

On a side note, I think the scoring system needs a serious revision...there needs to be some kind of incentive to encourage/coerce players to participating in all of the objectives rather than attempting to rack up kills and pad out your KDR. For the record, there are several servers that are attempting this with mission objectives and I applaud them for that!  :salute:

I personally think there should be stepping stones between the "arcade" servers to the full switch/full real ones. If there's any desire to take a bite of WT's player base and attract them, then Normal difficulty servers should be treated like the Historical Battles playlist in WT. Plenty of quicker action with the focus on halfway decent historical representations. Then when players want to take a step up from that, there should be servers that offer a good interim difficulty setting between Normal and Expert. Perhaps turn icons off but leave player map icon on and CEM off. I'd think there should be a good way to get people's feet wet and should they want to eventually go all in, there should be someway to ease them into it.

+1

About this I would argue, while in Il-2 1946 it was terrible and I dont have any great memoirs of it from CloD ... in DCS its more than decent. If you take the highest skill level of Ai in mission builder it behaves logically, uses horizontal and vertical maneuvers ... even scissors which is really cool. Of course its not as good as player but  can give you some challenge anyway.

Le0ne, I would say that guys are right and you should have checked where to spawn before. But on the other hand I never had much appreciation towards those guys who just strafe everyone who spawns, it takes no skill to kill someone who is starting the engine or is trying to take-off. If they are so hungry of kills than maybe they should think of Counter Strike rather than flight simulation.

I agree...

Or... have some strategic ground targets for the bombers to attack. Change your airquake mentality. I don't play mp because of the mindset of the vast majority like yourself sharp, the aircraft on the ground are not the main objective. They are not the target. There are ground targets on every server that are the main objective of bombers.

Getting attacked on the ground is just reality in this conflict. To avoid it, don't take off from an airfield under attack. Myself I consider it rather unsportsmanlike if you're flying a fighter but it happens.