AeroAce

SYS Mission-DBS Bombers

Hi people,

Here are the tracks from the SYS mission on Sunday from the 111's perspective!!

The mission for us was a failure. We had a lot of problems with lag which made it really hard/almost impossible to stay in formation and as a result we were decimated within a stones throw from the target.

I wanted to post this as it may be educational to the servers admins and developers to see that this kinda lag is a big problem and needs some attention. 

Watch the first track in fast forward and you can see just how much the planes were jumping around due to lag. We had a gunner in one ac that was killed on the runway because the plane disappeared into the ground lol!!

Also the game crashed very shortly after I was shot down for unknown reasons hence the second track file is corrupted!!!!! I was wondering if anyone could work some "magic" on it as it contains the bit where we all got shot down (or in my case I think some one crashed into me).

Id like to thank everyone that participated (even though it was very short for me) esp the servers hosts and DBS for bringing me up to speed for what was my first foray into organised missions in BOS.

Take it easy YAL 

links are here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/atbtgx3qw8ejqtx/Bomer%20Take%20of%20and%20Formation.trk?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1b61r6ix0ex542j/Bomber%20Decimation%20%28CORUPTED%29.trk?dl=0

• Upvote 1

The moment the He-111s turned up everything turned in to a slide show for us. We attempted to attack the VVS but it was impossible to hit anything. I did see one 111 get crashed in to, it was fairly near the front of the formation.

I could be wrong but I think the He-111 caused a huge amount of lag...could it be the AI gunners or something?

Sorry you guys got hit so bad :(

The moment the He-111s turned up everything turned in to a slide show for us. We attempted to attack the VVS but it was impossible to hit anything. I did see one 111 get crashed in to, it was fairly near the front of the formation.

I could be wrong but I think the He-111 caused a huge amount of lag...could it be the AI gunners or something?

Dont know much about MP but from all planes in BoS the He-111 is the biggest frame rate killer in SP.

FRONT RIGHT ? That would be me then!!!

On our practices on other servers we didnt have lag!! I hope this can get sorted as we put at least two days play time into practicing, not to mention the time other people took making charts ......

I dont see how this kinda gameplay is possible in the future without finding the reasons for such horid frame rates and lag and .....

Still was really fun. thanks to everyone for the participation  

On a random note Iv reached an evil number of posts

post-19747-0-59128100-1431299339_thumb.png

Edited by AeroBase

On the lag issue, I was wondering if the HE-111's had custom skins. I got the impression on comms chat that skins download was on. Not sure if that is possible in MP but if it was it could cause mayhem. In CloD jus t1 skin not shared creates a nightmare for the pilot not with that skin saved.

Thanks Aero, will check them out when I get home from work.

On the lag issue, I was wondering if the HE-111's had custom skins. I got the impression on comms chat that skins download was on. Not sure if that is possible in MP but if it was it could cause mayhem. In CloD jus t1 skin not shared creates a nightmare for the pilot not with that skin saved.

All He-111s had stock winter skins. Except one, and that skin was also stock.

Fighters used custom skins, from both camps. I too don't know how the skin DL works in this sim. And what was set on the server.

On another note, every time someone uses a custom skin, be it a stock or another one - it takes on average about a second for it to draw over the normal one when you look at that plane (either on the ground or in the formation with you).

My hunch is the skins were our problem. If we're to do another one I would recommend that all pilots use default skins. That way we can eliminate the problem of having skins. Among other things...

My guess is that the engine cannot support that many planes, especially bombers like the h111

If that's the case, then we are in serious problem. Especially because AFAIK there were no ground units movement.

Edited by 102nd-YU-shtele

My guess is that the engine cannot support that many planes, especially bombers like the h111

Yes but why the bombers do they use more resources?

I am positive bombers like He-111 strain mid to low range PCs more than anything else. As for other resources like bandwith I am not so sure, probably, but nowhere near critical as to bog down the server - needs testing.

Before we jump to any conclusions, a proper test should be done. No skins other than default and recommended network settings on the client side (I am open to suggestions if anyone has experimented with this).

Edited by [DBS]TH0R

I am positive bombers like He-111 strain mid to low range PCs more than anything else. As for other resources like bandwith I am not so sure, probably, but nowhere near critical as to bog down the server - needs testing.

Before we jump to any conclusions, a proper test should be done. No skins other than default and recommended network settings on the client side (I am open to suggestions if anyone has experimented with this).

The problem was reported from all our guys. My FPS was showing 45-50 but the performance was horrendous as soon as they arrived. I have a i5 @4.2 MHz and twin 780 GTXs so certainly no where near low end. We were over Stalingrad where we met the Laggs and Yaks, I'd say initially there were already a lot of aircraft there maybe in the region of 20-25 and there was lag but manageable but as soon as you guys turned up it became a slide show and everyone was saying how it was unplayable. It felt to me that the server was overloaded, maybe there is a bug with this aircraft?

We can help with testing if needed.

What do the sever admins'experience have to say about this? I mean 46 slots is not unusual both for SYN and for Wings of Liberty. When your server is full do you frequently experience that much of a lag?

Jumping in because I participated to some of IRRE's tests for setting up a server. We ran the tests on my PC using my broadband connection. My PC is a pretty recent and decent thing (core i5 4690K @ 3.5 - 3.8 GHz, no overclocking other than the standard Turbo thing). My internet connection is advertised at 100Mb/s downstream and 10Mb/s upstream, which surprisingly enough is accurate (actually 15Mb/s when uploading to YouTube isn't uncommon).

We had about 20 players online, 32 AIs (attack aircrafts and fighters, no bombers). Everything was very smooth running with upload and download settings in the game set to 10Mb/s (10240, IIRC). Network utilization graphs showed we never came close to using that much bandwidth. I think we may have had spikes at 3Mb/s, but most of the time it did not reach 2Mb/s.

We did another test with limited bandwidth, limiting to 700Kb/s. Initially people said it was running fine, but after some time reports of massive lag and rubber-banding came in. No FPS problem, it seemed, but some network issues.

Reading this thread, I wonder if it's clear what the symptom was: was it low FPS, or network issues? They have different causes, and it's important to distinguish between them.

Personally, I have always noticed a serious loss of FPS whenever a small group of planes, AI or player, enters my field of view. Even if the planes are far enough that they are only visible as a smudge on the screen. Static meshes on the other hand don't cause as much problem.

I think it could be very valuable to set up some stress testing to help gather information useful to the devs. But first, it's important to establish a test protocol and have the devs on board. No point in gathering information if no use is made of it.

Tbh this was as much of a shock to us as it was to you. We normally run this many aircraft quite easily. There is always the possibilty that we nade a mistake somewhere in the setup.

We run core affinity software to keep 2 servers running at once and with the new dserver bugs and manual starts we may have made mistakes. That and the mission didnt arrive until 5 mins before start!!

Lets take this as a test. 19te are suggesting running it on their hardware in the same format to test. I suggest we do this before making too many conclusions.

I also am going to run the mission again on Thursday evening (8pm UK) to better get an understanding of what is wrong.

Dont lose hope...it will be better next time.

Yep, people should not be disappointed. It was foremost a test mission. This exact same thing has happened many times in similar events in old IL2, and that's why COOPs or SEOWs are initially being stress-tested.

thanks to SYN for organising this.

Yep, people should not be disappointed. It was foremost a test mission. This exact same thing has happened many times in similar events in old IL2, and that's why COOPs or SEOWs are initially being stress-tested.

thanks to SYN for organising this.

+1

+1 I was not complaining with op just trying to share information!! Once again a very big thanks to all involved

Despite  the niggles it was just wonderful to see a group of likeminded folk getting together to fly. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up as I watched the bombers forming up and flying over our airfield.

I spent an embarrassing 10 minutes stuck on the ground spinning away wondering what the hell was going on until I realised my rudders were accidently inverted in key mapping  :wacko:  

Long may these coops continue and many thanks to the organisers and everyone involved.

Yep, people should not be disappointed.

Well...I have to say I'm disappointed. I just can't help it.

My take on what happened:

It's has nothing to do with the engine not been able to handle that numbers of planes. LD did test 100 people servers on EA and it was all good, we did test 75, and besides the dserver crashing...it was all good performance wise. Also you can see other server with 48 and there is no problem. Maybe we did something wrong, don't know.

Skins cant be the problem, they are client side not server side, so it won't take any hit on the server, this is as far as I know.

Mission per se is impossible that is the problem, it's a very basic/light mission.

I think the problem is on the number of He-111,not the number per se, but the number of IA gunners. We know BoS is not that friendly with the use of IA on MP, even if they are gunners. This can be easily tested by changing the He-111 for Stukas/Pe-2. I have never seen that number of He-111 flying together at the same time. About this, how many He-111 where there?? I saw at least 7, that means having what...32 IA gunners?? (it uses resources) plus the full server...I think this should be the first thing to test.

Anyways, that just my take, I'm gonna take a rest now.

Thanks all for participating.

Well...I have to say I'm disappointed. I just can't help it.

Haashashin,

You won't make it as a politician ;). Don't be disappointed. I saw a lot of positive things many squadrons coming together for the event, exchanging and forming new connections vital for a community like ours. The boundaries are being pushed. Problems kicked in sure but we can work on that and its started with stripping back to see if where problems show up first.

Chin up old chap

Cheers

Jacko

Ok guys the problem was a conflict in the startup.cfg and the mission.sds file limiting upload and download. Issue is resolved and ready for next run. I will let others decide when it will be. For now the mission is running tonite with the same password

Ok guys the problem was a conflict in the startup.cfg and the mission.sds file limiting upload and download. Issue is resolved and ready for next run. I will let others decide when it will be. For now the mission is running tonite with the same password

Great to hear! Still, before a re-run I'd like to do a test with as many pilots we can cram in the same place on the sky. :)

Well done for finding the problem! I missed the mission (for personal reasons I can't fly for a few weeks) so I'm very hopeful the inter-squadron Juggernaut can roll on!

Many thanks for Haash really doing a lot of heavy lifting in terms of organising and coordinating (and building the mission!). S!

Sounds wicked I hope its all sorted!!!! Can't wait until next time.

Some screens from the He 111 formation:

post-412-0-05747200-1431372343_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-75274300-1431372351_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-45029000-1431372356_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-35220100-1431372360_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Nice left echelon on the last pic

Great pics Sim. A shame I just couldn´t join this time around. Next time though... :salute:

Edited by SYN_Per

Thanks for the screens Sim.

Nice left echelon on the last pic

Actually those should have been 2 elements of 3 ships, but my right wing didn't make it due to car problems. :)

SIM do u have a track of the bit we got taken out??? That bit got corrupted for me sadly

SIM do u have a track of the bit we got taken out??? That bit got corrupted for me sadly

Unfortunately, no. I did not record myself and took those screens from your track recording (before the attack).