Sign in to follow this  
II/JG17Jaeger55

Five

Five players on a Saturday nite in Chicago's time zone. 

I cannot belive that there are that many people not wanting to play this sim. 

We need some sort of lobby, with a chat, to hang out in.    

when I want to play the game. I log in. See that NOBODY < GHOST TOWN, is playing. So I log off. 

• Upvote 1

Totally agree JaegerRR. When I played European Air War there were few players left but it made a world a difference having a lobby with chat and then we were able to add Team Speak to it.

Having the combo was helpful and enjoyable and kept the game going a lot longer.

18 right now...Jaeger55, I'm in the same time zone so hope to see you in the skies.

Edited by roaming_gnome

Wish I had more time to devote to MP... its just not easy these days.

Sounds like a chat lobby would be a priority add feature for MP. It keeps coming up.

The summer is here, so that's another reason many folks are afk, including myself ;) 

The summer is here, so that's another reason many folks are afk, including myself ;)

Youre welcome to come to my country where is any season you want all year long!!! (depending on the city)

as for inactivity, my reason is school, but soon enough ill hit vacation again and ill fly more often.

We had a little over 22 players at 9:45 pm last night on the Eagle's Nest.  Several coordinated attacks and some great fights...

9:45 PM but what time zone?

Most times when I look and can play at 7PM central USA time there are maybe three persons and who knows what TS channel they might be on.

Wings of liberty Had 43 players on at 2pm pst. Plenty of people flying at prime times, weekends of after work time.

At the risk of inviting cynical responses... Aside from server caps, what do we need to get 1500 people online at any given time?

I play from 18:00 bst and there is normally at least two full servers until 1:00. 5 seems a bit extream to me but even two full servers is low!!! A chat facility would be welcomed but not gona fix much imo. What this game needs is some good press! Go forth and spread the news!!!

Many stated what is gamebreaking. Nothing changes. So noone comes back. That simple.

• Upvote 1

Many stated what is gamebreaking. Nothing changes. So noone comes back. That simple.

+1

Im idle since one month and dont see too much interested to back to play.

Edited by 303_Kwiatek

We already have a chat/lobby system here http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12832-bos-launcher/ created by Schmalzfaust . It works with the steam version as well but you cannot launch the game other than using steam. You can however chat in the lobby and in PM and check who is on the server. It's not HL but it is a very useful tool.

With regards to online play, Coops are starting to get organised admittedly with one or two hiccups but things are starting to move in the right direction.   http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/16178-blood-skies-event/

I have noticed across the forum that the online numbers are constantly being compared to other sims in this genre but in all honesty the numbers are fairly comparable across the board. in Europe, at peak time you usually get around 120-140 people online across several servers. Bos's closest rival Clod gets very similar numbers. Folks are saying we should see 1500 folks online, but maybe there is little interest in WWII flight sims in this day and age?

There has been some mud slinging because IMHO established sims are really not going to want to lose their dwindling player base to BoS.

I do think though that there are folks in this community that are trying to rally people to the cause of organising online missions and coops and that is encouraging. I hope we see more people popping online and joining in because despite the teething problems it was a lot of fun.    

At the risk of inviting cynical responses... Aside from server caps, what do we need to get 1500 people online at any given time?

Well, we would need everything no one wants to have  in IL2 BOS...

It is called : War Thunder....

Well, we would need everything no one wants to have  in IL2 BOS...

It is called : War Thunder....

I could probably agree with you if WT was actually a sim.

• Upvote 2

They should just release "light" version, using the "premium" planes (both, not just one).

People are more likely to spend money on a flightsim if it would cost them ~20 EUR to get started. The "premium" planes are not better than the rest, if people fly around with these in MP and would encounter all the other planes, they might even want to upgrade to the other planes and buy the rest of the game.

I'm playing BoS from time to time now, fiddle around with the mission editor etc. But in its current state of BoS, i'll not jump ahead and buy BoM. I would perhaps buy the P-40 and Folgore, if i could use them in BoS, but since that's not possible (you'll need the normal BoM edition to even be able to spend money on BoM premium planes, which is a very strange decisions on a business standpoint imho), i'll just stick to BoS. I'm a bit afraid that BoM will split the MP even further and with the current not stellar player numbers (again, could be prevented by offering "light" versions of both games), this might make the SP a more important alternative and the current SP is not up to that at all.

• Upvote 1

I could probably agree with you if WT was actually a sim.

If War Thunder had all the qualities needed to be defined as a sim by  people in this forum , it would be called : IL2 "something"...And there would be 15 people online playing the game ....

I play IL2 BOS...My 10 year old prefers War Thunder. He flies with a stick too though.  But he can't really understand and enjoy the "minute" differences in handling and FM behaviors between those 2 sims... But he can fly 100 planes in WT. He can earn points. He can progress. 10 years old like that . And I have to admit that when I look at the graphics and terrains, WT  just  looks fantastic... Very eye candy...

So there you go ..This is the receipe of broad success... This is how you get 5000 people online 24/24...

Totally agree JaegerRR. When I played European Air War there were few players left but it made a world a difference having a lobby with chat and then we were able to add Team Speak to it.

Having the combo was helpful and enjoyable and kept the game going a lot longer.

yes remember that, i would chat while waiting for a one on one duel till 3 deads or go for a ziggy and a coffe while waiting, we were just 5 or ten guys but the lovy made it alive

Edited by raaaid

If War Thunder had all the qualities needed to be defined as a sim by  people in this forum , it would be called : IL2 "something"...And there would be 15 people online playing the game ....

I play IL2 BOS...My 10 year old prefers War Thunder. He flies with a stick too though.  But he can't really understand and enjoy the "minute" differences in handling and FM behaviors between those 2 sims... But he can fly 100 planes in WT. He can earn points. He can progress. 10 years old like that . And I have to admit that when I look at the graphics and terrains, WT  just  looks fantastic... Very eye candy...

So there you go ..This is the receipe of broad success... This is how you get 5000 people online 24/24...

Yep I get what you are saying but it still ain't a sim, it's an arcade game trying to be one, that is probably why 10 year old lads like it. I personally think the FM and the DM for that matter in WT are a millions miles away from BoS. It  just seems that serious WWII sims are not as popular as they once were. Of course, there are numerous grind or pay to win games on the market and they appeal to a much wider audience than Bos,Clod or DSC.

Yep I get what you are saying but it still ain't a sim, it's an arcade game trying to be one, that is probably why 10 year old lads like it. I personally think the FM and the DM for that matter in WT are a millions miles away from BoS. It  just seems that serious WWII sims are not as popular as they once were. Of course, there are numerous grind or pay to win games on the market and they appeal to a much wider audience than Bos,Clod or DSC.

I agree that by hardcore simmer's definition WT is not a sim...But it would have been few years ago considering what technologies could offer at that point. The definition " simulator"  by itself has grown with the possibility of getting closer and closer to the real thing. In 15 years from now, maybe IL2 will not qualify as a " sim" anymore...

The  closer we get to the real DATA, FM and DM, the more it is  difficult to fly those birds in realistic mode, as a simulator would do by definition... And when it gets too hard to have simple fun with a PC game, people do tend to delete it after a while...

We have to accept that the learning curve of a hardcore simulator may be to long and hard for the mass.

I would qualify WT as a very good looking casual flight simulator. 

IL2 is a hardcore flight simulator with different  technical priorities , such as FM and DM.  I don't know, maybe with better graphics, more planes, more terrains,  3D device's compatibility, and online missons 

à la WT, IL2 could get many more players online... 

Edited by APIKalimba

I agree that by hardcore simmer's definition WT is not a sim...But it would have been few years ago considering what technologies could offer at that point. The definition " simulator"  by itself has grown with the possibility of getting closer and closer to the real thing. In 15 years from now, maybe IL2 will not qualify as a " sim" anymore...

The  closer we get to the real DATA, FM and DM, the more it is  difficult to fly those birds in realistic mode, as a simulator would do by definition... And when it gets too hard to have simple fun with a PC game, people do tend to delete it after a while...

We have to accept that the learning curve of a hardcore simulator may be to long and hard for the mass.

I would qualify WT as a very good looking casual flight simulator. 

IL2 is a hardcore flight simulator with different  technical priorities , such as FM and DM.  I don't know, maybe with better graphics, more planes, more terrains,  3D device's compatibility, and online missons 

à la WT, IL2 could get many more players online... 

I agree but hopefully things will improve. The community is really started to make an effort to organise coops and online missions and there are some great SP missions that have been created in the missions sharing section of the forum. There are without doubt things that need to be improved with BoS but it can also be a lot of fun. Sunday's coop was just fantastic dispute some teething troubles.

Regards

Custard   

I agree but hopefully things will improve. The community is really started to make an effort to organise coops and online missions and there are some great SP missions that have been created in the missions sharing section of the forum. There are without doubt things that need to be improved with BoS but it can also be a lot of fun. Sunday's coop was just fantastic dispute some teething troubles.

Regards

Custard   

IL2 is the most promising WW2 flight sim on the market right now... I am not sure though 777/1C have yet found a precise marketing model for the series. The hardcore fans are not the crowd for "unlocks" and " win and upgrade" system. They do not appreciate not having full graphic parameters control. They do not like " no flyable only AI " planes. These concepts are usually found in softcore sims.

I think that once 777/1C  have a solid development and marketing models with  top notch technical standards , all will be better for the community. 

But they need to fix all the issues reported by the hardcore community first and then push the machine. Otherwise, they could lose their fan base.

Good night !  23h00 here and kids at 6h30...  :salute:

Edited by APIKalimba

Instead of logging off, fly for an hour. Get in some practice and seed the server.

I have afternoons off so I fly with the Euro guys. I work at night or I'd fly at night.

They should just release "light" version, using the "premium" planes (both, not just one).

People are more likely to spend money on a flightsim if it would cost them ~20 EUR to get started. The "premium" planes are not better than the rest, if people fly around with these in MP and would encounter all the other planes, they might even want to upgrade to the other planes and buy the rest of the game.

I'm playing BoS from time to time now, fiddle around with the mission editor etc. But in its current state of BoS, i'll not jump ahead and buy BoM. I would perhaps buy the P-40 and Folgore, if i could use them in BoS, but since that's not possible (you'll need the normal BoM edition to even be able to spend money on BoM premium planes, which is a very strange decisions on a business standpoint imho), i'll just stick to BoS. I'm a bit afraid that BoM will split the MP even further and with the current not stellar player numbers (again, could be prevented by offering "light" versions of both games), this might make the SP a more important alternative and the current SP is not up to that at all.

I was under the impression that after release of BOM you can buy the premium planes for BOS independently. I thought that's what the announcement said.

I suspect what will happen is those with only BOM might not have a place to play while most servers go for a combined approach. The sale on BOS is a good start but I can't help but wonder about another approach that might get folks into both games might appear at some point.

I'm asking the best and that development continues past BOM. At some point you want a consumer friendly way to buy in. Otherwise it's too expensive to jump into the whole thing. It's too soon for all of that but I assume they probably have a long term business plan around that.

I was under the impression that after release of BOM you can buy the premium planes for BOS independently. I thought that's what the announcement said.

I suspect what will happen is those with only BOM might not have a place to play while most servers go for a combined approach. The sale on BOS is a good start but I can't help but wonder about another approach that might get folks into both games might appear at some point.

I'm asking the best and that development continues past BOM. At some point you want a consumer friendly way to buy in. Otherwise it's too expensive to jump into the whole thing. It's too soon for all of that but I assume they probably have a long term business plan around that.

I think this is the main thing here. As IL2 supporters , we still can't figure out where the project is going. I mean , if this is going to be a high quality hardcore sim aimed at a niche clientèle, we have to assume that it ain't going to be cheap. Less customers have to support a highly specialized development team and technology. War Thunder is the lower standards FM and DM version of IL2, with all the qualities required to please the mass : Very eye candy and lots of planes and action. Easy to fly but with the impression of realistic FM and DM.

IL2 should be considered as the "professionnal " or " realistic " version of WT . But to get more money from each of us with a higher price tag, IL2 should also be as good looking and appealing as WT is , plus all the accurate DATA , FM and DM modelling. IL2 has to be a step up compared to the competition in every aspect of the game if 777/1C wants to sell its products at a higher price to a very picky clientèle...  :)

According to this, you cannot.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/7-questions-developers/page-28?do=findComment&comment=250116

But of course nothing in that topic is set in stone.

Edited by Matt

Five players on a Saturday nite in Chicago's time zone. 

I cannot belive that there are that many people not wanting to play this sim. 

We need some sort of lobby, with a chat, to hang out in.    

when I want to play the game. I log in. See that NOBODY < GHOST TOWN, is playing. So I log off. 

I think Its massively overpriced for a dogfight game to start, second is its just not good, thats why i stopped playing a long time ago. I log in every now and again to see if anything has changed but nothing does it seems. Having the poor design decisions im certainly not buying the BoM for only a couple of new planes and the rest of the recanted models and slightly modifyed models again. I'm sure people might not agree with that but its my opinion.

Edited by BigPickle

Instead of logging off, fly for an hour. Get in some practice and seed the server.

I have afternoons off so I fly with the Euro guys. I work at night or I'd fly at night.

I have no problem doing this...when I have time to fly, that is. My biggest problem is hopping on servers where my ping is 125+...I deal with warping and seemingly harmless tracers going wide before suddenly a bunch of damage appears on my aircraft. I usually end up doing some ground pounding since my higher ping doesn't seem to affect that.

While, as many have said before, a chat/lobby system would be a welcome addition. My personal opinion is more of an emphasis placed on teamwork in the missions (which, I might add...a lot of servers have done) and I think slightly higher player caps might assist. Whether or not players fill the slots, it would certainly be an incentive to think that one could battle with at least 63 other players.

I suspect your ping is not the (only) issue. I am usually around 170 on the 1CGS server with no significant lag issues.

I think Its massively overpriced for a dogfight game to start, second is its just not good, thats why i stopped playing a long time ago. I log in every now and again to see if anything has changed but nothing does it seems. Having the poor design decisions im certainly not buying the BoM for only a couple of new planes and the rest of the recanted models and slightly modifyed models again. I'm sure people might not agree with that but its my opinion.

You, of course, have the right to your opinion but I disagree almost everything you have said here.

I suspect your ping is not the (only) issue. I am usually around 170 on the 1CGS server with no significant lag issues.

You, of course, have the right to your opinion but I disagree almost everything you have said here.

Ahh, well I haven't spent a lot of time online. For me it was the same way with RoF, as I'd occasionally have issues where I'd suffer what I consider "damage catching up to me". I'll definitely acknowledge in most of the situations I'm the one in the low energy state with the serious disadvantage, so it's unlikely I'd have turned things around nor am I the greatest pilot  :lol:  . I just find it a little strange where I'll watch tracers pass by me, the enemy stops firing and then I suffer damage as if I'd been right in the midst of that burst. Maybe I'm alone in that and there's an issue somewhere in my hardware or router setup, but I find it a little strange and a bit of a turnoff to dogfighting online. I do enjoy ground pounding, so I'll happily provide a target for the fighter jocks when I'm online. :salute:

This sim is pretty good about having damage take effect as parts break internally. And tracers are only every fifth or so rounds. You may be taking hits and suffering structural failures after the fact. You can lose a weakened wing spar a few minutes after the actual fight on a hard turn or landing. I actually like that about this game.

Edited by HerrMurf
  • Upvote 1

I hope this doesn't sound cynical, but the answer to that question lies somewhere in the backlog of buried posts outlining exactly the kind of game players want to play.

• Upvote 1

I hope this doesn't sound cynical, but the answer to that question lies somewhere in the backlog of buried posts outlining exactly the kind of game players want to play.

To a certain extent I agree with you on this.

Guys, if you insist on luscious-looking maps like in WT then they will also be as small as in WT. You can't have your cake and eat it, there are constraints in the real world.

• Upvote 2

ISP lagg has really been giving me the it's this end with many online games, hopefully there is a solution that does not cost an arm and a leg in the future. In the mean time, it's SP.

Not aimed at you prim , but i Dont think so , DCS servers are always busy and so is Clod ,lets not  make excuses up for the lack of content and poor online community we have here  . Most have fled..............time for me to  face facts .

We may never see those numbers again.... I don't think there are that many simmers now.. Consider that back in the day when we had those kinds of numbers nightly on HL over a period of several years here were still people flying in CFS, Warbirds , Aces High and Fighter Ace as well...  I don't know if the other sims are still active .. but from what I see it is IL2, IL2II,CoD,DCS and WT... and that is pretty much it for online simming..

+1

I had that impression too initially .. but I am not holding on to any set notion of what it will be like until it is released because it could be subject to change...

I disagree totally. First off .. when I look at the price of BoS/BoM I have to consider the prices on the other developer supported WWII sims on the market.. and right now there is only DCS and WT... WT is what it is and it does what it does and for the sake of this discussion I will not go any further on WT. When I look at the DCS model there is just no way I can consider the price for this sim to be too high. Not taking sales into consideration, for the price of BoS Premium you get more of everything than in DCS with some compromise ..  as in you don't have the same level of detail in the aircraft.. but the differences in that area are not as great as some might think and IMO visually this sim has no equal.. In DCS for $80-$100 you can get any two WWII aircraft..... one map... and no other WWII content at the moment.  In IL2 for $60-$100 you can get 8-10 aircraft on 4 maps that are very well rendered detail wise... When I consider the differences in the two sims as a total package.. I just see different flavors but for sheer sim immersion for me BoS is a better product.. I loose a bit of a sense of immersion when I go down on the deck and don't have to worry about flying through trees ... For some that is a minor issue just as for some not having clickable pits and full by the book procedures is a minor issue for others because what is there is enough... but BoS is not over priced. We cannot compare this sim to anything else but DCS since it is the only other developer supported sim that we have.

Also .. BoM is not just "a couple of new planes" There are 6 totally new aircraft coming in BoM.. not to mention the map{s) .... so ignoring the 4 variants at $80 .. the current price of BoM Premium is more than reasonable... for me it was/is prudent to get it now... the same reason why I bought into BoS early...

Not aimed at you prim , but i Dont think so , DCS servers are always busy and so is Clod ,lets not  make excuses up for the lack of content and poor online community we have here  . Most have fled..............time for me to  face facts .

That is debatable... I would say that DCS and CoD usually have activity... but "busy" .... Not always. Right now there are 41 people online in BoS.... 13 in CoD and 59 in DCS.. that is all the servers on DCS with more than one person in them.

• Upvote 1