blueghost27

No cockpit capability (It should always be an option)

All other flight sims give the sim pilot the capability to degrade the cockpit like in IL2, IL2 COD, IL2 1946, Battle of Britain II, Wings over Vietnam etc., to increase levels of view for the pilot i.e. full cockpit as in BOS, then pipper with instruments, pipper only and then ultimately nothing obstructing a view of the landscape.  Yes it is a cheat and who gives a rat because the hardcore simmers can still use full cockpit always anytime they want but not everybody wants the full cockpit (always on and no option) for anything else.  I'm not hardcore and would like that option available if I want it.  How about the rest of you guys chiming in?  It should be an option for those who like a completely unobstructed view of a kill or a landing in less than marginal conditions.  Thanks

I've never flown a RL Cessna or a flight sim without a cockpit. I don't mind you having the option for SP but I don't want to engage you in MP that way either.

Edited by HerrMurf
  • Upvote 1

To be honest when I first played BOS I was disappointed that it didn't have an "open cockpit" option.

My reasoning was that in il2 1946 I had issues tracking aircraft due to the graphics.

However I very quickly learned to not only live with closed cockpit but to actually enjoy the experience of it.

For me (coming from open cockpit in il2 1946 to closed in BOS) I find that closed cockpit (especially with all the moving levers etc) adds so much to the experience.

With open pit you could be flying any plane and it would look exactly the same, it removes you from the plane. In that you feel no real connection to the plane you are flying.

Many pilots describe flying as becoming one with the plane, and in my time in il2 1946 (I started early to mid 2009) I never felt that experience.

However in BOS I very quickly started to experience this sensation.

Jumping into a 109 and taking her for a spin even a free flight is an awesome experience for me, the view, the sounds all just makes the crap day I just had disappear.

And due to the step up in graphics tracking the enemy is no problem :)  

Edited by novicebutdeadly

I'm a "cock pit locked on" kind of guy.  And agree with almost all that novicebutdeadly said.  Part of what I liked so much about IL2FB was that you could host a game where you could lock the cockpit.

However, this is a personal preference.  Does it raise immersion, most certainly.  Does it actually kill the experience for a good number of people that want to just get in an "air quake" style turn and burn, air spawn death match; ala CFS2/3, most certainly.

What needs to be remembered is, there ARE those people out there.  They WILL buy your game if given the options that THEY like/want.  Why completely shut them out through some forced, "this is actually a better way to fly a computer so we won't even give you the option" type thinking?

The cockpit view is pretty much the defining feature of a sim like this vs an arcade game. If players find this view obstructing that's all part of the sim experience. Also the icons are visible through the plane so you can always switch them on. Personally I just don't see the appeal of virtual cockpits.

Everybody is correct in their right but there are those of us who just like to power-up for a periodic spin to just "shoot [Edited] up" and enjoy the graphic's and watch and occasional Nazi Hun or Red-devil blow up to help reduce the stress of the day.  I've got a lot of flight time in "real" airplanes and a 1000+ hours of "real" combat time so call me a noob if you want but I fly for the fun of it, not to pretend I'm a real pilot.

BUT.........because we all paid good-money for the same sim, we should be able to fly the way we want.........after all, an option is just that, an option.  Currently the developer is forcing me to fly the way they want me to fly and that sucks!  I hope the BOS developer reads and heeds this because I've been supporting Oleg since he first released IL2.

Why in the world would "anybody care" how a segment of the sim purchasing community wants to enjoy their own personal flight simming experience?  In multiplayer you set the parameters up how you want all to participate or they don't.  I do this just for fun and have experienced the "real" cockpit enough.

Thanks

Blueghost27

Edited by Bearcat
Language

With open pit you could be flying any plane and it would look exactly the same, it removes you from the plane. In that you feel no real connection to the plane you are flying.

... and your sense of up plane's up and down is confused by seeing landscape but not plane, despite huds, artificial horizons and such. It looks cool at first ("I can see the airstrip when landing, how cool is that ") but ends up only confusing ("I have only general idea which direction is my plane travelling in, or how high it is over the strip"). The idea of energy fighting with only general idea where planes down relative to down is... *shudder*.

I don't like it when people use "I don't need it, so nobody needs it" fallancy, so won't say it's utterly useless even though I know it is ;) ... but I see no value in having it. 

Edited by Trupobaw

As has been stated this is a dead horse issue that has been gone over several times. For the record IMO having the option of a no cockpit view is a no brainer. As long as it is a server side setting for MP everyone can have what they want.. but that is not what BoS has so the point it moot. More options even those that may never be used by a large segment of the community are always better than less as long as they do not take resources from moving development of the sim itself along.

The value in having a no cockpit view is A) It offers another view for movie makers B) It can sometimes just be fun. C) It is great when you let your kids see what keeps daddy in the basement so long...

The cockpit view is pretty much the defining feature of a sim like this vs an arcade game. If players find this view obstructing that's all part of the sim experience. Also the icons are visible through the plane so you can always switch them on. Personally I just don't see the appeal of virtual cockpits.

You do realize this post makes no sense.. are you sure that's what you mean?

Go play warthunder :P

Did you just scream, "NOOB?"

Not helpful....................

Not at all.. drift I see the smiley and I know you are joking but..  :mellow: .. lets just not go there ok..?

I really miss that view as well! I love dropping it to 1/4 time and zooming in all the way just to watch the planes get torn up by cannon and bullets