Sign in to follow this  
Jason_Williams

Founders can now transfer to Steam if they wish

Pilots,

As we mentioned previously and in the Dev. Diary - All BOS Early Access / Pre-Order customers who bought before Oct. 22, 2014 can now swap their non-Steam key for a Steam key and keep any game progress while doing so. The process is outlined here.

Many of you requested this option. We spent a lot of time, money and energy to give you this requested option. It was not easy to do. Please exercise this option if it was something  you wanted.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/15962-how-get-bos-steam/

We hope this resolves this issue.

Jason

• Upvote 7

For the ill informed of among us like me can somebody highlight the advantages/disadvantages of moving to steam.

Would this require a reinstall?

For the ill informed of among us like me can somebody highlight the advantages/disadvantages of moving to steam.

Would this require a reinstall?

If you ask for the advantage, it is most propably nothing for you :)

I guess kids with hundreds of games on steam will appreciate it though.

Question.  Can we register it only on Steam but still use and update it with the normal Launcher?  The reason is that currently, unless Steam shows it as registered there, you can't review it.

Question.  Can we register it only on Steam but still use and update it with the normal Launcher?  The reason is that currently, unless Steam shows it as registered there, you can't review it.

No. Either Steam or not. Your choice.

Jason

• Upvote 1

If you ask for the advantage, it is most propably nothing for you :)

I guess kids with hundreds of games on steam will appreciate it though.

I have over hundreds games on steam and I am far from kiddo. Labeling people like that is just silly, I'd still use steam even if Clod and BOS are only games I own.

Now advantages are maximum download speed (means whatever your provider has, steam will support it - i go full 100 Mbit/s when installing a game or patching, it goes  about 20 times slower on 777 update client on patch release day).

Other benefits are seam is screenshot and video capture cloud, making some nice shots to be uploaded and shared as you play without to much fuss, then communicating with my buddies, letting them clearly see when I play BOS, etc...

If none of those appeal to you, then simply don't use this feature, but I welcome it very much, if for nothing else, then for convenience of great installation speed without any extra installer tools.

Edited by EAF19_Cyclops
  • Upvote 5

No. Either Steam or not. Your choice.

Jason

Can we get our steam key but not install the steam version and keep using the same version have been using from 1c / 777 ?

I just want the steam key in my steam profile as a back up and not install.

Can we get our steam key but not install the steam version and keep using the same version have been using from 1c / 777 ?

I just want the steam key in my steam profile as a back up and not install.

No this is not possible as far as I know. Either go Steam or don't. If you want Steam compatibility then you need to work with how their system operates. How that works is out of our control. We've at least given you a choice.

Jason

• Upvote 4

Appreciate that you guys have worked to give us the choice, but I personally won't use it, even though I use Steam a lot and generally like it.

I just gotta say, that the launcher works so well and give me so good DL speeds, it really is a good piece of software, so I feel no need to move to Steam.

• Upvote 5

Thank you all, a million times over, for going through the B/S and hassle of this!

I like the launcher just fine, but being able to migrate this over to Steam is very nice!

(P.S. Don't take offense to being called "kid" or whatever... cherish that shit hahahahaha)

• Upvote 1

If I transfer my game to steam, will I still be able to start and update the game using your normal launcher or is the game then permanently locked to steam DRM?

So, the only difference is, which servers need to be available to play, right?

Do any of them have particular stability issues?

So, the only difference is, which servers need to be available to play, right?

Do any of them have particular stability issues?

The only difference is that you are adding Steam into the mix.  Nothing else changes.  If you don't already have/use Steam, this isn't even worth your time.

The Pros:

•   Your flight sim friend(s) can see when you're playing IL2-BoS
  •   If Steam is running, and an update drops, it'll update automagically (not a huge deal, but if you have a lot of games it is nice)
  •   Migrating to a new computer means simply installing Steam and copying files over
  •   You are adding to the Steam metrics/trending for people who are playing BoS (and eventually BoM, etc)
  •   Integrated community hub for the game, news feed if you don't frequent this forum
  •   If mods are someday allowed/supported, the Steam Workshop is really becoming a thing of beauty for find, installing, and updating mods for other games... maybe IL2 someday?
  •   Steam overlay/screenshots/private streaming

The Cons:

•   Your non-flight sim friend(s) can see when you're playing IL2-BoS
  •   If you can't log into Steam (i.e., Steam is down, or your Internet is down) you can't play IL2-BoS (<--- this is an assumption, but is generally true)
  • Upvote 1

Appreciate that you guys have worked to give us the choice, but I personally won't use it, even though I use Steam a lot and generally like it.

I just gotta say, that the launcher works so well and give me so good DL speeds, it really is a good piece of software, so I feel no need to move to Steam.

+1  ...Why mess up a good thing...plus...I'm sentimental....

Options are good I guess. I'm happy with the simplicity when updating through the Launcher so I'm going to pass.

I'm surprised they spent so much money for something that doesn't add any real features to the game, if it really costs so much money why could they not spend it on making a coop mode and in game chat?

• Upvote 2

From a marketing standpoint does it help you (Dev's) for players to be on Steam where player numbers can be seen, recorded, tabulated? I have a Steam account I haven't visited in four or five years. If it helps, I'll transfer. If not, I couldn't care less. The game works well in my current configuration.

Thank you for giving to us the choice, I imagine how it was time and money consuming.

Steam is good, but the launcher is also a nice and unique piece of software you made.

Again, thank you.

Although I have a lot of games on Steam I´ll stick to the standalone version.

Thanks nontheless for your efforts - I´m sure many will appreciate it.

You could add BoS as a non steam game before this new feature. You cannot update via steam but your friends can see you playing. When you start the game using this method, you will go to the launcher like you were not on steam.

Edited by =[Coffin]=Gielow

From a marketing standpoint does it help you (Dev's) for players to be on Steam where player numbers can be seen, recorded, tabulated? I have a Steam account I haven't visited in four or five years. If it helps, I'll transfer. If not, I couldn't care less. The game works well in my current configuration.

No our internal system tracks everything Steam does. Same with ROF.

Jason

Steam can fornicate itself with a broken glass bottle and take a Tabasco sauce enema immediately thereafter.

• Upvote 1

Steam can fornicate itself with a broken glass bottle and take a Tabasco sauce enema immediately thereafter.

I disagree... but the way you put that deserves a round of applause :biggrin:

Edited by Cybermat47
  • Upvote 2

The Cons:

•   Your non-flight sim friend(s) can see when you're playing IL2-BoS

Well, you can always go offline on steam so others can't see you. It's not ideal solution because your IL2 playing friends will also see you as offline, but if for some reason this con bugs you...just saying.

If you can't log into Steam (i.e., Steam is down, or your Internet is down) you can't play IL2-BoS (<--- this is an assumption, but is generally true)

Same as above, in any case of Steam servers not working, you can log in offline mode and play (if BOS is like ROF with this, then it uses 777 DRM and not steams, meaning it does not matter at all if steam is online or offline as long as your game is already installed and patched up, you're good to go).

I did not test it for BOS, but with ROF it is tested. Probably it's same with BOS with added restriction that you must use proper client too, unlike ROF where you can use either client just the same. But I really don't think that steam has anything with BOS once game is started (and that can be done with steam account not connected online).

Hope this elevate some of the concerns for some of you, but it would be better if someone from 777 gives you the definite answer what would it mean if seam is under 2 days DDOS attack and you have troubles logging in, or similar scenario...

Edited by EAF19_Cyclops
  • Upvote 1

I have been using "hybrid" BoS and RoF for long time now and had no problem with that; I have both versions of both games installed and can log into each game with whichever account I have. In case of BoS, I switched to steam program to show my friends when I'm flying it (and one other reason listed below), but never used steam CD key to create second BoS account - my early access BoS was premium and steam one was standard so I log into both programs with premium account, programs don't bother. In case of RoF I'm using both steam and non-steam program (differently modded), both steam and non-steam user account (for more career slots) and have no problem whatsoever. From my experience, if you have user account for RoF and BoS, it's possible to log into any RoF/BoS program you have access to, even if one is steam type and other is not... handy if you are visiting friend with different game licence and want to use your own account. I even suggest owners of steam RoF having problems with game program to switch to F2P non-steam RoF... because programs are the same. I admit the steam account / non-steam client for BoS is one combination I have not checked, still wondering what use would second not-premium BoS account be.

This was about (lack of) technical limitations. Not sure about legal ones. Unlike RoF, BoS non-steam client is not free to download, so maybe we can't pick and choose which client we run our game account with... unless we own the game twice. Just like I'm not sure if users with steam licence can even download the non-steam game program (checking that out would be stupid way of using up that CD key). Of course, it's not an obstacle when program is already on your disc...

So, let me rephrase question to Jason: After switching to steam, are uses supposed to delete their old non-steam game program and never look at it again, or can they continue logging into it with their now steam-type BoS account?

Finally, one good reason for making move to steam: your gameplay shows on BoS popularity statistics. At the moment, thanks to steam users being minority, the game looks to be much less alive than it is, which discourages potential buyers. If you like steam and want BoS to grow, let your flying hours show. 

Edited by Trupobaw

No our internal system tracks everything Steam does. Same with ROF.

Jason

"Finally, one good reason for making move to steam: your gameplay shows on BoS popularity statistics. At the moment, thanks to steam users being minority, the game looks to be much less alive than it is, which discourages potential buyers. If you like steam and want BoS to grow, let your flying hours show."

Trupobaw

This is more along the lines of what I meant. I just didn't phrase it as well as I should have.  Do the DEV's want us to log in through Steam so the PLAYERS show up more in that application? Would that help stats and sales? Again, I can if it helps. Otherwise, I'm good. Sorry to, sort of, repost.

Edited by HerrMurf

Jason and the Team, many thanks for the hard work to give Pre-Order customers who bought before Oct. 22, 2014 the ability to change to steam if they wish. :salute:

However I am still sad that this decision comes very late, again. More sad is that we needed to ask many times for it to get this option.

For me comes this decision too late. I bought the Steam Version last year after we asked many times and the answer was everytime no, not possible yet its Steam its Value......! Now I have two BoS Copies? That Steam Key that I get from Steam is unused forever. That money I could spend for BoM. And that are the decision that get me the sad feeling. The feeling to say goodbye to this series specially to this design decision. :(

Hello! I'm highly considering this, but I have a question about this. I'm eligible for the ability to transfer to steam if I want to. I bought the standard edition of the game and then later, spent the extra money to get the Focke-Wulf 190.

I know Steam's way of viewing this is that the Focke-Wulf 190 is considered a DLC add on to the original game. So if I switch to Steam, will I keep my FW 190 or will I lose it?

You don't lose anything you've purchased.

I decided to take advantage of this as I prefer Steam as a centralized management piece.

I expect that this option will also be available for 777 Store purchased BOM keys at some point as well, no?

I decided to take advantage of this as I prefer Steam as a centralized management piece.

I expect that this option will also be available for 777 Store purchased BOM keys at some point as well, no?

I really appreciate the effort.

I made a switch to steam, but I also have the same question, since I just preordered BOM from the website will the same feature be available?

I really appreciate the effort.

I made a switch to steam, but I also have the same question, since I just preordered BOM from the website will the same feature be available?

It will be possible as stated on the Pre-Order Page

Steam users: Even if you have BOS activated on Steam now, you can pre-order BOM on our site today using your user account (registered email on our site) in which any BOS edition was previously activated. You can activate the key on our site and get access to BOM content during Early Access. Then when BOM is released on Steam you will have an opportunity to deactivate the key on our site and get a Steam key from us and activate it on the Steam page to add BOM in your Steam game-library. Then activate the key on our site and get access to the game without losing all your early game experience on your user account. 

http://il2sturmovik.com/battle-of-moscow/

• Upvote 1

At the moment, thanks to steam users being minority, the game looks to be much less alive than it is, which discourages potential buyers.

Yeah, there are a few "attackers" out there that keep pointing to the player numbers on Steam as if it's every owner of BoS.

Actually the spy statistics on Steam are pretty interesting to look at. BoS gets played for more hours per player than many other similar games and as much as other popular ones.