Stray

Exit your aircraft when landed

593 members have voted

1. 1. Exiting the aircraft after landing

• That's what we need
    • We don't need it

I'm all for being able to bail out of the plane and run away on the ground a short distance or into a personal floatation device in water- as was the case for Il-2 '46, but for the love of God, please no Call of Sturmovik. 

On 7/16/2019 at 4:53 AM, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

I don’t think it’s a must need. If you’re in a situation like that, you can just finish mission.

In Combat Flight Simulator 3 when you ended the mission when on the ground after landing/crash landing, ditching and survived, the pilot always walks away from the plane.

You generally need to wait for an onscreen timer to wind down before being able to properly quit the mission.  That is just enough time to burn to death in the cockpit.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

You generally need to wait for an onscreen timer to wind down before being able to properly quit the mission.  That is just enough time to burn to death in the cockpit.

This has happened countless of times with me, being able to escape after a crash landing is  feature that is important in my opinion

I want to be able to bail near an enemy air base, infiltrate and run around drawing fire from the 88mm thus helping my buddies.

Its a tough job, but someone has to step up.

• Confused 1

On 8/4/2019 at 9:21 PM, Gambit21 said:

Totally unnecessary.

So Gambit, if pilots exiting their planes when landed totally unnecessary in IL-2 GBs, then was it totally unnecessary for 1C Maddox and Microsoft to implement that feature into IL-2 1946 (along with 2001 I think. and FBs, and PFs) and CFS3.

Also. Does it require so much effort for REAL World fighter pilots to leave planes that it’s just best if they stay in their seat(s) at all times (even on the ground) unless they have to eject?

34 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

So Gambit, if pilots exiting their planes when landed totally unnecessary in IL-2 GBs, then was it totally unnecessary for 1C Maddox and Microsoft to implement that feature into IL-2 1946 (along with 2001 I think. and FBs, and PFs) and CFS3.

Also. Does it require so much effort for REAL World fighter pilots to leave planes that it’s just best if they stay in their seat(s) at all times (even on the ground) unless they have to eject?

For the benefit of those who haven't played IL-2 1946, I think I should point out what 'pilots exiting their planes when landed' actually entails there. First, the canopy is popped off, like a cork coming off a bottle. Then the pilot (and other crew) pops out upwards, then plummets face down into the ground - through the aircraft, if it is in the way. On reaching the ground, the pilot animation immediately transforms into a running animation, which runs away from the aircraft for a few seconds before diving face first onto the ground again.

Why anyone would think this exercise in digital slapstick comedy would merit replicating in a 2019 air combat simulation, I have no idea. And producing the necessary animations to more realistically replicate what a real pilot/crewman would actually do when exiting an aircraft in a hurry would involve a huge amount of work - probably entailing motion-capture, on custom-built props for each aircraft type. And even that would probably fail if the wreck was in anything but an upright position. A huge sink of money, and of developer time, much better employed on core air combat simulation. If you have crashed, you have crashed. Mission over. There is no more need to replicate what happens next than there is to replicate the pilot telling tall tales about his mission in the bar afterwards. 

Novice-Flyer, at some time you are going to have to accept that the real world is constrained by factors other than the limits of your imagination, and that other people (many of which who were playing air combat sims while you were still drawing stick-men with crayons) have a better idea of what is or isn't necessary in a simulation. An air combat simulation, not a Buster Keaton comedy.

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

On 10/1/2019 at 7:21 PM, AndyJWest said:

Why anyone would think this exercise in digital slapstick comedy would merit replicating in a 2019 air combat simulation,

I don't think people want this to be replicated in IL-2 GBs. What people want is for pilots to be able to exit the plane after a crash landing/ditching. For tanks when your tank is destroyed the surviving crewmen walk away. Do you think that's a comedy? What I think is a comedy in this game are the bomb sights and pilots dying when parachuting into water like streams, lakes, etc.

In CFS3 (which I played a few months ago because I have a relative who has that game) when you finish your mission the pilot appears outside and walks away from the plane. After a crash landing or if on landing the gear fails to lower and the plane skids off the runway, when the plane stops the pilot runs away from the plane. After a ditching the pilot appears in a life raft as the plane sinks. For the last two the mission automatically ends.

I think people aren't liking it that pilots are DYING when parachuting into the water. Essentially that doesn't kill the pilot. What kills the pilot is that sinking 1-2 meters beneath the surface from his head kills him. As well as being unable to escape a burning/sinking plane and DYING. Can we just remove the part with the pilot DYING please. I mean, a pilot dying when parachuting into like a stream, small lake, very close to shore, etc. is ELUSIVE to just one Sturmovik game and probably other flight sims.

What about George Gay the Midway pilot, Louie Zamperini, and this person https://youtu.be/KcCVDrnItmg, etc?

what is or isn't necessary in a simulation

For things in GENERAL, I think for some people in this community. What's unnecessary is what's not in the game, and what's necessary is what the devs are planning in to include in the next update. Probably for the picture in the cockpit, rain on goggles, windscreen, maybe some other things, one would have considered unnecessary until the devs planned to include them.

many of which who were playing air combat sims while you were still drawing stick-men with crayons

Here's the thing AndyJWest. When I was drawing with crayons and markers (I never drew stickmen, too lazy). Do you know what else I was doing? I was playing air combat sims like IL-2 FBs, CFS3, PF, IL-2 1946, and a real world flight sim: FSX. I first started drawing when I was in preschool and that's when I started playing combat flight sims. In the past people have decided to become pilots when they are in their 20s-30s. In recent years people have decided to become pilots when they're kids and BEFORE they've graduated from high school they have their pilot's license. When I was in preschool (4 years old), I told my preschool teachers that when I grow up, I want to be a pilot. And now I am. 

My flying instructor, who has been an instructor since the mid 1980s and has instructed 80 students, whom 2 out of 80 have gotten a partial fail on their flight tests. Not Me!! told me that in his years of instructing people wanted to be pilots because they play flight sims. Do you want to know what people do on flight sims? They screw around on them and don't take things seriously. But when I was 8 years old, yes you heard me 8 years old I knew the V-speeds of a 737-800 fully loaded: V1, 150 knots, VR 154 knots, V2, 160 knots, Vne 350 knots, Vs ~110-120 knots Flaps to 5 degrees for takeoff. Below 10,000 feet, airspeed restriction is 250 knots. Essentially if a pilot put me in the cockpit in a 737 all lined up for takeoff at that age, I could probably do a very good takeoff and climb out. 

What I want to do in my life is to get my Commercial Pilot's License, and all those other ratings like Night, Multi, etc. Afterwards get my ATPL and get hired by an airline. YOU WILL NOT interfere with MY LIFE AndyJWest! YOU DO what you want to do. I'LL Do what I want to do.

at some time you are going to have to accept that the real world is constrained by factors other than the limits of your imagination

Yes I am VERY aware of that. Essentially Rome wasn't built in a day, you eat an Elephant bit by bit. Not in one go. Money and time are major factors in everything. I think you need to realize that there are lots of young people in the world who are VERY eager to do things that years ago one would consider an adult's thing.

You also need to understand is that while most people place IL-2 GBs as their favorite flight sim/combat flight sim/game. Others place it in their Top 5 flight sim/combat flight sim/games, but not as their Number 1, like me. The reason is that there are features in other games that make them better than IL-2 Great Battles. I will admit that the maps are very detailed, very realistic FM/DM. I really like it that hitting a fence at 5km/h doesn't cause the plane to explode. I am very glad that the devs decided to do Bodenplatte and we're now flying the Me 262, P-51, P-38, P-47, Tempest.

Thank you what I have to say.

Edited by Novice-Flyer

I didn't ask you what you wanted to be when you grew up. 

...if a pilot put me in the cockpit in a 737 all lined up for takeoff at that age, I could probably do a very good takeoff and climb out...

You will clearly be wasted as an airline pilot. Shouldn't you be aiming for President of the United States?

• Sad 1

On 10/1/2019 at 10:01 PM, AndyJWest said:

You will clearly be wasted as an airline pilot

YOU want to know something AndyJWest, is that there are a lot of people under 20, 25 years of age who have their pilots license and are eager to become an airline pilot. Some people that I know that are under 25 are airline pilots. This has been their goal since they were young.

A young pilot with their PPL will listen to their instructor regarding the merits of their goals in aviation, a pilot who has been flying for DECADES, accumulating thousands of hours of flight time. NOT some random guy who’s played combat flight sims for many years and probably knows more about a combat flight sim, than that of a Cessna 172.

AndyJWest. Unless YOU yourself have your pilots license AND are also an instructor or an airline pilot, then you have NO right to make a somewhat BULLYING comment that some young Private Pilot(s) will be wasted as an airline pilot, when that’s not even your career in real life. I think you should just MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. BTW getting your pilots license is at least 100x easier than becoming the ruler of a nation.

Here's a fact is that when most recent CPL and Multi IFR graduates (200+ hours) get hired by an airline, they start off in small under 20 seat planes, and work their way up to larger planes. I know some airline pilots who are in their 40s-50s who have spent most of their aviation career flying under 30 seat planes. Surprised AndyJWest?

If exiting a plane in 1946 is such a comedy to you then what about the CFS3 way of exiting planes? In these older, lesser fidelity games than IL-2 GBs, the devs spent time keeping the pilot alive after a crash landing than during, but in IL-2 GBs the devs spend more time keeping a pilot alive during a crash landing than after. 

If exiting planes after landing is so UNNECESSARY to some people, then what would be more necessary for the game in GENERAL?

BTW, in CFS3 if you bail over water the mission ends before the pilot touches the water. Why not just do that for IL-2 GBs instead of him dying when touching water.

Edited by Novice-Flyer

8 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

YOU want to know something AndyJWest, is that there are a lot of people under 20, 25 years of age who have their pilots license and are eager to become an airline pilot. Some people that I know that are under 25 are airline pilots. This has been their goal since they were young.

A young pilot with their PPL will listen to their instructor regarding the merits of their goals in aviation, a pilot who has been flying for DECADES, accumulating thousands of hours of flight time. NOT some random guy who’s played combat flight sims for many years and probably knows more about a combat flight sim, than that of a Cessna 172.

AndyJWest. Unless YOU yourself have your pilots license AND are also an instructor or an airline pilot, then you have NO right to make a somewhat BULLYING comment that some young Private Pilot(s) will be wasted as an airline pilot, when that’s not even your career in real life. I think you should just MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

BTW getting your pilots license is at least 100x easier than becoming the ruler of a nation.

Here's a fact is that when most recent CPL and Multi IFR graduates (200+ hours) get hired by an airline, they start off in small under 20 seat planes, and work their way up to larger planes. I know some airline pilots who are in their 40s-50s who have spent most of their aviation career flying under 30 seat planes. Surprised AndyJWest?

If exiting a plane in 1946 is such a comedy to you then what about the CFS3 way of exiting planes? In these older, lesser fidelity games than IL-2 GBs, the devs spent time keeping the pilot alive after a crash landing than during, but in IL-2 GBs the devs spend more time keeping a pilot alive during a crash landing than after.

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

1 hour ago, Novice-Flyer said:

AndyJWest. Unless YOU yourself have your pilots license AND are also an instructor or an airline pilot, then you have NO right to make a somewhat BULLYING comment that some young Private Pilot(s) will be wasted as an airline pilot, when that’s not even your career in real life. I think you should just MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

Ya what, You do realize you have posted on a public forum and then cry about "minding your own business", really. The minute you posted  the " This is my Life" spiel, it becomes his and every other reader's business.  :lol:

Edited by bzc3lk

I understand that the reasons, for original post, wanting the “exit plane” to end the mission, but I would think getting out of the plane and being able to walk around after landing would be extremely immersive. We could have walk and run, whatever is necessary. We already have animation for walking and running characters in game. I don’t think it would be a big waste of resources tbh.

I think it would be sufficient to exit the aircraft and stay within the vicinity of it (This would save time on the making the whole map accessible on foot etc). Being outside your aircraft would allow you to inspect your own aircraft, and also watch other teammates coming into land etc. We often remain in our aircraft, whilst watching our teammates land, but with limited view. Having the ability to stand outside the aircraft would be much better. In VR it would be a blast. Imagine now..... lining up your aircraft, after completing a sortie with teammates. Then exiting your plane to stand next to a team mate, whilst watching the remainder of your flight coming in. Now that sounds immersive and fun. It gets my vote. 

• Upvote 1

And producing the necessary animations to more realistically replicate what a real pilot/crewman would actually do when exiting an aircraft in a hurry would involve a huge amount of work... A huge sink of money, and of developer time, much better employed on core air combat simulation. If you have crashed, you have crashed. Mission over. There is no more need to replicate what happens next than there is to replicate the pilot telling tall tales about his mission in the bar afterwards. 

So essentially we shouldn’t have pilots and crewmen bailing out and parachuting down to the surface then because if your wing’s gone, engine or wing’s on fire, etc. your gonna crash, there’s no hope that your going to make it back to base or ditch in a field. Sometimes the aircraft motion can limit the ability to bail out.

In the original CloD whenever your plane landed into the water the pilot would soon die. However in the current Blitz Edition if you land in water, the pilot doesn’t die. Can we just have pilots not dying when landing in water?

Edited by Novice-Flyer

The decision as to what to include in a simulation made for entertainment purposes lies with the developers, not the customers. If you want to be able to specify content, you need to negotiate an individual contract with a developer. And pay for the privilege. Otherwise, like the rest of us, you are merely in a position to make suggestions. And by and large, a single well-argued proposal made on the basis of how you think the game could be improved is likely to be a darned sight more effective than an endless succession of assertions that things are 'necessary' or 'essential' based merely on the fact that somebody else did them. It is, in my opinion, a reasonable suggestion that the developers not make bailing into water inevitably fatal. It is a suggestion that would however have been far better made in a thread discussing that specific proposal, rather than in a thread on another subject entirely. Your habit of endlessly spamming off-topic content into threads, and of necro-ing dead threads just to argue exactly the same point you have made a dozen times before does you no favours whatsoever. And neither does your endless misrepresentation of what other people have actually said. Or your refusal to respond appropriately to valid criticisms of your proposals. I have no idea whether you actually think you are going to achieve anything by this behaviour, or are merely doing it because you have some strange compulsion to have the last word, but it is both tiresome to forum members, and counter-productive if you want the developers to take you seriously. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/20/2019 at 12:51 AM, AndyJWest said:

It is, in my opinion, a reasonable suggestion that the developers not make bailing into water inevitably fatal. It is a suggestion that would however have been far better made in a thread discussing that specific proposal, rather than in a thread on another subject entirely

Alright. Look. AndyJWest, you misread my post. I NEVER said anything about pilots dying when parachuting into the water. What I was talking about was pilots parachuting to Earth. Period. You say that it would be such a waste of time/resources to make an animation watching pilots getting out an running away from a plane after landing. Well, isn’t that what happens when a pilot bails out? After bailing out, we just watch our pilot and gunner(s) parachute for minutes on end until they reach the ground. If I was going to talk about parachutes dying when touching the water, I would have posted that in a thread corresponding to that topic, not here.

AndyJWest. Although I find your posts helpful, I also find them somewhat overbearing. In some ways you’re being a BULLY: You yourself AndyJWest will be wasted telling a pilot (especially a young pilot) that they’re better off running for President of America, than being an airline pilot. First of all. When it comes to future aviation careers, I don’t think any pilot, not even the dev (I think) who’s a pilot is going to take ANTAGONIZING advice from some random guy who probably KNOWS WAY MORE about WW2, and technical aspects of a WW2 combat flight sims than a Cessna 172 and/or Rules, Regulations, Requirements, Aviation terms, definitions and V-speeds in 2019 Real World Aviation. So unless you yourself have something nice to say about young pilots future career, then just Mind Your Own Business AndyJWest, and they will about your future careers.

AndyJWest. At some point you’re going to have to accept that there’s a shortage of airline pilots these days, thus the demand for pilots has increased. A shortage of pilots can and HAS caused accidents involving death. This is why the aviation industry needs airline pilots to meet the demand and prevent accidents and meet safety standards. But as always, WITHIN THE MARGIN OF SAFETY.

Getting back on topic here, the fidelity/features in CFS3 and IL-2 2001and FBs was nowhere near where it is today and I think the devs have done a great job of making these things better in IL-2 GBs, and I think if they were to make it so that pilots were able to exit the plane after a water landing, they would do a job at it. I think enough’s enough here. There are a lot of people arguing and complaining about features being included/not present in other games like CFS3, IL-2 1946 and CloD, while they are/aren’t in IL-2 Great Battles. The answer for some people is “ It’s unnecessary.” Then people say “ Well, why was it necessary in these other games?”

Here’s the answer: with the exception of planes, maps, ships, ground objects, etc. Things in General not yet included in IL-2 GBs are Totally Unnecessary until the devs decide to include them.

AndyJWest. Please do not reply to this post. I get it alright. You’ve said what you need to have said and I think that’s enough. I had a very mild case of Autism when I was younger. It didn’t really effect me externally, but internally I think it made me very knowledgeable about things people wouldn’t know or would easily forget.

Thank you. Hope to be final comment.

Edited by Novice-Flyer

Some advice, Novice Flyer. When someone posts something like this...

...if a pilot put me in the cockpit in a 737 all lined up for takeoff at that age [8 years old], I could probably do a very good takeoff and climb out...

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/1574-exit-your-aircraft-when-landed/?do=findComment&comment=826375

...they can expect a response like this...

You will clearly be wasted as an airline pilot. Shouldn't you be aiming for President of the United States?

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/1574-exit-your-aircraft-when-landed/?do=findComment&comment=826386

This is what's known as sarcasm. Not expected to be taken literally. Not expected to result in endless off-topic waffle about your intended career in aviation. Not expected to result in thousand-word PM rants. None of that does anything whatsoever to make your comments regarding possible features in IL-2 GB look more credible. Quite the reverse.

And for the record, I don't take orders from you as to what I reply to. If you don't want replies, I suggest you stop spamming this forum with deranged rants, and work on your reading comprehension skills. 

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/1/2019 at 9:33 PM, Novice-Flyer said:

when I was 8 years old, yes you heard me 8 years old I knew the V-speeds of a 737-800 fully loaded: V1, 150 knots, VR 154 knots, V2, 160 knots, Vne 350 knots, Vs ~110-120 knots Flaps to 5 degrees for takeoff. Below 10,000 feet, airspeed restriction is 250 knots. Essentially if a pilot put me in the cockpit in a 737 all lined up for takeoff at that age, I could probably do a very good takeoff and climb out.

Guess what. I few years ago I told something very similar to a former pilot who ACTUALLY flew and was the Captain of a 737, DC-10, 747-100-400 for British Airways for a good portion of his aviation career going from early 1980s to mid 2000s and he thought that was pretty cool that I knew that. For the last sentence, I was also meaning myself and a qualified 737 pilot in the cockpit during takeoff.

On 10/22/2019 at 2:11 PM, AndyJWest said:

I don't take orders from you as to what I reply to

It wasn't really an order, it was more of a recommendation/suggestion as I want to move on from this, just like you probably do.

Sometimes when someone makes a sarcastic/dark sarcastic comment about someone else or someone's loved one, close friend, or what someone wants to do, etc. they may not realize that your being sarcastic.

Also, I suggest that YOU stop being soo obtuse and work on being a nicer person to people on this forum.

EOD ( END OF DISCUSSION). Final comment, Terminer, FINIR. Kaput, Done.

Let's focus on something else Please and Thank you😐

Edited by Novice-Flyer

Why anyone would think this exercise in digital slapstick comedy would merit replicating in a 2019 air combat simulation,

In this statement, you state that replicating the way airmen exit planes in IL-2 1946 is comedy. Okay, but I think that there are other things which are more of a comedy. For example, FC: you can fly a Me 262 in 1918 against a WW1 bi-plane and totally obliterate it with a few hits, if you own FC and BoBP. There’s probably some other things in this game which one could say are a comedy. 

On the other hand, that way of pilots exiting planes was implemented almost 20 years ago in a game were hitting a fence at 5 km/h causes the plane to explode and bellying landing a bomber at 230 km/h causes it to break into pieces; any faster and it explodes. I’d argue that the devs heavily improved on that with IL-2 GBs and made crashes/DMs much more realistic than in IL-2 1946. Think of what’s been improved by the devs that is also in IL-2 1946.

For the record, I give the devs of the original IL-2 credit for at least trying. I mean, I’d rather see something that’s somewhat cheesy, but not so cheesy that it’s repulsive, to at least show that they’re trying, than to not have it at all. I feel that in CFS3, they had a very good depiction of Pilots exiting their planes after landing that didn’t (really) seem cheesy. See here: https://youtu.be/Y0hp8wB4k5k

P.S. The Crashes in CFS3 were pretty much a comedy.

For TC, the devs have implemented the surviving tank crewmen exiting the tank when it’s destroyed or when you press Ctrl+E. Still has some flaws, but hopefully can fix them. I hope that the devs can hopefully implement this for airplanes in the game as well, perhaps during BON development or following it.

By the way, this isn’t meant to be an attack on you.

and that other people (many of which who were playing air combat sims while you were still drawing stick-men with crayons)

At the time that I was drawing with crayons, which is when I was in preschool, I was playing combat flight sims.
And For the record, I NEVER drew stick men, too lazy.

Thank you and Salute.

Edited by Novice-Flyer
  • Upvote 1

On 10/22/2019 at 6:19 PM, Novice-Flyer said:

EOD ( END OF DISCUSSION). Final comment, Terminer, FINIR. Kaput, Done.

Let's focus on something else Please and Thank you😐

lol

On 2/15/2020 at 11:49 AM, driftaholic said:

10/10 lemme walk home :P

Good job, you just revived a dead thread just so you could say nothing of value.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

Good job, you just revived a dead thread just so you could say nothing of value.

I agreed with the OP and brought the idea back into recent conversation. Neither are a bad thing. What exactly does your comment add other then to antagonize?  Relax, it's the internet. We're all here because we love the game and want to see it improve.

Had to chuckle at that absurd video of the stick figure animations of the crew as they leave the Tiger tank right before it vanishes into thin air.

On 8/21/2019 at 8:18 AM, Mobile_BBQ said:

I'm all for being able to bail out of the plane and run away on the ground a short distance or into a personal floatation device in water- as was the case for Il-2 '46, but for the love of God, please no Call of Sturmovik. 

Call of Sturmovik would be awful...might be ok for a call of nature though, like nipping around to the NAAFI fo a swift cuppa...

NAAFI_Mobile_Canteen_No.750_beside_the_Brandenburg_Gate.thumb.jpg.53b4e0f4469c23ece5b66b7753081668.jpg

...and pick up some Brylcream...

2097446727_Brylcreem1939.jpg.c74f443b49a921601108bb36c5d7d4f5.jpg

...for the hair I no longer have :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Speaking of calls of nature, what we're missing is a relief tube. We need a relief tube for more realism. I mean, are these pilots holding it in on those long missions? C'mon, now!