HeavyCavalrySgt

Battle of Moscow: To Buy In or Not To Buy In, THAT is the Question!

If the mission generator was so great you wouldn't need all those user made campaigns.

You just defeated yourself in one sentence. The campaigns were there originally, provided by the developers. Campaigns were so easy to generate with the old FMB, lots of 'users' made them. Everybody did it.

Are you drunk? If so, I'll forgive you, because I usually am.

• Upvote 1

User created material that exists separately from the SP campaign built into the game.

Made my people who love the built in campaigns so much that they wanted to do something else...

You just defeated yourself in one sentence.

I did nothing of the sort.  Those campaigns were created by USERS.  

Speaking of the awesome FMB.  I've heard a lot of complaining that it couldn't do anything complex, like triggers.  Does it get better with the rose colored glasses on?

A tribute to an easy to use FMB?

This a thousand times over.

• Upvote 1

This a thousand times over.

Yes. Oh so brave sir robin tells me I have rose tinted specs.

Infinitely preferable to pinholes in a blindfold, in my opinion.

So I guess we'll just have to suffer these discussions until another Pat Wilson comes along and shuts all of you up until the next installment in a genre driven by community contributions (and crybabies).

Robin_mother_baby.jpg

There must be someone there forcing you to read this. Here is a cute puppy to make you feel better:

post-14464-0-20343500-1428364674_thumb.jpg

Made my people who love the built in campaigns so much that they wanted to do something else...

Cool, so those did exist. 

Yes. Oh so brave sir robin tells me I have rose tinted specs.

Infinitely preferable to pinholes in a blindfold, in my opinion.

EDIT BY FSM: I DISAGREE WITH YOU, DUTCH,  BUT I FIRMLY RESPECT YOUR RIGHT TO EXPRESS YOUR OPINION CIVILLY,SIR. AFTER ALL, THIS IS JUST A GAME WEBSITE AND WE ARE ALL ADULTS. GOOD DAY TO THEE.  

EDIT BY FSM: FARE THEE WELL, FELLOW TRAVELLER!

Yes. I'll be leaving on a jetplane, don't know when I'll be back again. Oh Brave Sir Robin, I hate to go.

But I'm leeeaaavin' on a jet-plane etc.

No idea what yer talkin' about mate. Unless you mean the bit about re-installing FSX. Yep, it'd be great not TO HAVE TO PARTICIPATE IN POINTLESS MINOR FORUM ARGUMENTS anymore SO I HAVE DECIDED TO STOP FORTHWITH AND LIVE AND LET LIVE. Although I do confess, I've been guilty of some twaddle myself. 

(BLUE TEXT ADDED BY FSM.)

Although I do confess, I've been guilty of some twaddle myself.

EDITED BY FSM: DON'T BE SO HARD ON YOURSELF. WHO HERE AMONG US IS NOT GUILTY OF A BIT OF TWADDLE NOW AND THEN? I ASK YOU? WHO?

RELAX COMRADE, FOR YOU ARE AMONG FRIENDS.

[sNIP]

EDITED BY FSM: GOOD SIR, I RESPECTFULLY TAKE ISSUE WITH YOUR DELETED COMMENT, BUT, BEING A THINKING MAN, HAVE ALREADY MOVED ON TO THINGS MORE DESERVING OF MY TALENTS.

"SHOW ME TO THE GERANIUMS, MY GOOD MAN!"

Here is a cute puppy to make you feel better:

post-14464-0-20343500-1428364674_thumb.j

Aw, one little ear is down.  So cute!

What were we talking about?

Still bickering on the forums, and still not learning or asking about the FME. You could have had three campaign missions done by now.

• Upvote 1

Clearly a problem with the FM.

Best Yet! Thanks  ...  :lol:

Edited by clayman

Still bickering on the forums, and still not learning or asking about the FME. You could have had three campaign missions done by now.

post-14464-0-92675300-1428386377_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Too nice poppies here. Let's try to keep those arguments constructive and don't go to any personal fight. We are a too narrow community that cannot afford fights between us or the developers. To be honest I guess that everyone here had a point and no one the full true view itself.

I don't believe that the developers had any plan to ruin the SP experience but I also believe that more could be achieved with more time. Is up to us to put more money on the product and the developer part is to analize, compare and deliver a product according to the budget, technical availability and user demand.

Sorry for my grammar mates.

Ok, just preordered...despite the lack of a decent SP content, no Mods, neither an immersive campaign... But...again, I've bought this game/sim in a hope of a "brilliant future" maybe just like happened to the good old il2 sturmovick some ten years ago.
My keyword is: SUPPORT FLIGHT SIM DEVELOPERS , SUPPORT THE "FEW".......and in the meantime still pray & hope for a better offline experience.
Cheers
Flytitus

post-12315-0-09561500-1428397154_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zak
please put images with a swastika under spoiler

Answer to OP's question - yes. Despite of all the shortcomings (for me, the main ones are relative sparsity of objects (aircraft, ground objects etc.) and content (campaign, missions, etc.), as well as compromises in settings (such as simplifications in engine management, GPS, "radar" etc.)) I'm having a great time in BoS, mostly flying online. BoM adds stuff to the game which already has an excellent foundation (graphics, FM, DM) and helps fund the work of the developers. What's not to love? 

Well I have finally done it, I've put in for a transfer.

When they asked me to go to Murmansk as in instructor to show

the Russian pilots how to get the best out of the P39's I thought it

would be a great adventure, but man am I sick of this weather. Nothing

but snow, snow and more snow not to mention the fact that it's boring and I can't

make my own missions. Its too complicated they tell me and I believe them.

So I'm off back to the sunny Pacific where I'll be able to fly with my squadmates 

from all over the world from the deck of the carrier Yorktown as we search for and destroy

the Japanese navy or duck for cover as the Betty's come in at wavetop level flying

through an absolute hail of AAA while kamikazes crash into the foredeck as the ships

zig-zag trying to dodge torpedoes.

Or maybe we'll decide to go to Korea and attack the bridges at Toko-ri or we might

decide that our army needs some backup in the islands, our trusty F4U's and some napalm  

should help those guys on the beaches and give our landing craft a break while our navy

stands off and pounds the enemy position inland.

Or we might just help the DDay landings by shooting up some enemy trains or troop and truck

convoys.

The scenarios are endless, the fighting heartpounding the mission making sublime.

Stuff the pretty graphics I want action.

Thank you Oleg.

cheers.

Shall I buy BoM : maybe ?

Shall I preorder it ? No : it is too expensive for an offline player, the BoS campaignsystem is far below what was promised in dev update 21

If the BoS campaign system significantly improves, than I may change my mind.

But my experience from BoS is that we cannot take what 1C/777 says, we can only judge what is available (which is anyway of a good quality)

• Upvote 1

I bought it because some people all of a sudden had more gold bars under their name than I did... and I said to myself "Self... is this what you are?  A single gold-bar having peasant?  Is this who you want to be?"

I chuckled to myself and said "No, other self... I am not.  Thanks for reminding me."

The End.

LOVED this post.

In BoS, the story appears to be that the main character can jump from body to body, corporeally possessing combat aircrews from either side, probably even occupying multiple bodies at the same time, although in different fights even if they are happening in the same places.  Perhaps parallel universes?  Meanwhile, supplies are infinite and you never even bother to learn the names of the guys you fly with because they are just as transient and insubstantial as you are.  For some reason kills still count, although in the long run it doesn't matter if you flew a mission or not because nothing really changes unless you move forwards or backwards in time.

I have not figured out what unlocks represent yet, or really chapters either.

As far as what I wanted, as much as I like sci-fi, I was hoping for a little realism and immersion, or at least not immersion killing mechanics.

Sooo, sort of Quantum Leap/Edge of Tomorrow/Source Code type thing? That actually sounds cool! (Yes, I know it was meant seriously, but the way you put it made it sound way cooler. 

They should put that on the box!

• Upvote 1

Guys... today let's try to keep this thread from being too much of a personal back and forth fest between members shall we? If this cannot be done it will be shut down...  :mellow: 

Look folks the bottom line in all this is that some folks are in, some are out and some are on the fence. The fact of the matter is that it is very difficult to compare any of the 3 others sims that always get bandied about as benchmarks in their entirety to BoX as anything other than a template for what works or what doesn't. When all of these sims were at the 6 months out stage in their life cycle that this sim is currently at they were all shadows of their current selves..

More options will always be better than less options.

For the record and AM can correct me if I am wrong but the FMB in this si is actually more powerful than the one in IL2.. it is just less user friendly... that is  apart of the problem with it and one that I have absolutely no doubt will be addressed at some point and based on what I know about this team it is probably being addressed as we speak. The SP campaign in this sim is what it is at the moment. The sim is 6 months old... BoM is not a "new" sim regardless to the language used in it's announcement.. it is a continuation of BoS.. As the sim expands I am certain that in addition to new content improvements will be made to the game engine as well.. The cries of "fix the old one before you make a new one" are all moot... It's the same sim.. and it is being fixed, perhaps nopt as fast as some would like or in the sequence that some would like.. but things are being addressed.. That is undeniable.

The thing that is so sad about a lot of this to me is that there are so many folks who are so quick to constantly hop on any shortcoming, anything that they personally are not happy with .. and beat it to death... It is like being in a relationship where one person threatens to leave the relationship everytime a problem or disagreement arises...  Many of the issues that this sim had in the first week of it's release have been addressed to a greater or lesser degree... even the lack of presets has been addressed to a degree because if you will recall .. after one of the patches.. I can't remember which one it was, gameplay improved significantly as far as performance goes.. the server count has increased... the unlocks have been removed... the ME has been released.. skin templates have been released... FM issues have been addressed... DM issues have been addressed.. and still some folks seem to feel that they have been somehow hoodwinked and that this team will not or is not working hard to deliver on what they have said is thier plan.. To deliver a decent product. If you don't want to buy into BoM at this juncture then fine... that is your choice.. it is your money but try to express yourself without taking a dump on the work done by this team thus far.. because it is not a total waste.. Just because some prefer a different SP experience than the one currently offered.. does not mean that the entire sim is a waste of time.. or that the SP experience offered is a total waste... and if some feel that way then perhaps they would be better served to go and do that which floats their boat until such time as this sim offers them the experience they want ......

We need to remember that this sim  is a work in progress ... and I for one am just floored by the fact that for some no matter what this team does... it seems that there are some folks who have nothing but discord to offer up.

i think that majority of the sp players play Pat wilson campaign.

Fact!! :ph34r:

It's what I play! ;)

@ BC Especially when you conciser how fast they got us to a released game which is entirely playable and doesn't bring most people's PCs down to their knees. It might not be groundbreaking but it's not PC breaking either which is a bit of a novelty considering what happened before this.

I'm with those that support the genre but I'm also with those that want to respectively remind the Devs what made IL2 great in the first place and keep nudging them in the right direction.

It would be nice if the dev diaries would also talk about the direction they are heading in regarding game play and the other stuff people feel is important but I imagine they are reluctant to since they seem to get attacked so much.

• Upvote 1

Bearcat: Yep, the new mission builder is significantly more powerful than the one that comes with IL-2 1946 and lineage. I've been tinkering with it and I've seen what others can do with it and it's impressive.

There is a caveat to it. It's very hard to use. Its a programmers tool more than an artists tool whereas the one with the old IL-2 was better suited to artists. It was less flexible but you could make things much more quickly and the learning curve was not as steep.

The new map view GUI they added in the last patch helps a bit but it's still a bit overwhelming to me. I come from having made over a dozen published campaigns on M4T...But I doubt I will be able to do that again. We'll see. Give me time :)

@ Emil... nudging them is one thing.. but trying to bludgeon them is an entirely different thing..  I will be shocked if a year from now there is not a 3rd part something or other on the order of the UQMG/PWG for this sim...

post-14464-0-92675300-1428386377_thumb.j

Oh my Gawd!   Stop talking and check it out guys.  Not just one, but two of them!  And one of them is flying!!!  

• Upvote 2

You know I'm surprised the Hooves Mcgufferson campaign editor had not takEn hold in the community yet. I mean it's simply amazing. Its the most realistic campaign sim to date.

It starts by waking up in your bed (animations included) brushing teeth, taking a shower (only white male player model available right now. Tried to get female model but "management" slapped me.......hard)

You then take the exciting, harrowing journey to work via the super crazy exciting highway to the danger zoNE (otherwise known as the 30 west). Then work hand in hand with the maintenance crews while tuning the modern day state.of the art 30 yr old software.

Then finally after a 12 hour day of talking to engineer after engineer, you get your shot! You walk back in the door, look at your glorious cockpit. "Ah F it, I'm too tired".

You know I'm surprised the Hooves Mcgufferson campaign editor had not takEn hold in the community yet. I mean it's simply amazing. Its the most realistic campaign sim to date.

It starts by waking up in your bed (animations included) brushing teeth, taking a shower (only white male player model available right now. Tried to get female model but "management" slapped me.......hard)

You then take the exciting, harrowing journey to work via the super crazy exciting highway to the danger zoNE (otherwise known as the 30 west). Then work hand in hand with the maintenance crews while tuning the modern day state.of the art 30 yr old software.

Then finally after a 12 hour day of talking to engineer after engineer, you get your shot! You walk back in the door, look at your glorious cockpit. "Ah F it, I'm too tired".

Did you just mention  the 'Danger Zone'?

I agree with Emil......you just have to utilize the good points of the game and wait for the updates and the 3rd parties to move this game forward into a real simulation....Once you can come to terms with the fact that all the preceding sims had to have time to evolve into what we came to expect BOS to be on release day.....you have a different outlook on these things.....And everyone of us has different priorities....in what we would define as acceptable or not for this game.  It's when we try to personally belittle someone because they don't share our views....sometimes by being condescending towards them...because perhaps we have a "superior" expectation in a sim....and "how could anyone support this game"...I mean it doesn't do this and it doesn't do that.....you're an idiot....

I mean...is there anyone who could blame someone for "not" wanting to put up 80 dollars pre-purchase for BOM?  But please....if some of us want to..it's not because we don't see the limitations or the need for the game to evolve.  Will  BOM come down in price....Oh, I think that's a pretty good bet.....and some of you will be able to save some money....Hey...that's great...why would I fault you for your self control and frugal outlook?  I admire it...  So you see.....we are all winners. 

The bottom line is that forums are a terrible place to make points......No body language...no eye contact......no ability to respond in person....makes for a cut up conversation....very often with someone that's not interested in a polite conversation in the first place......

Edited by JagdNeun

Cannot make up my mind, just started new job and feeling a bit poor* at the moment; had enough of snowscapes, not really flown much anyway in the sims I do have, great as they are....

But FSM's moderating / editing really made my day :lol:

*in a Western European, well-off-compared-to-rest-of-world kind of way

• Upvote 1

I cant believe how much people are WHINING about the snow, yes WHINING.  They are working on not one but TWO new maps that are not that far away in addition to whatever is going to come with BoM.  Let's not forget that those two new maps are free.

If you are tired of it, well we all get a little burnt out and no point in just making it worse so shelve the game and check every friday for updates on the Dev Diary.  

I cant believe how much people are WHINING about the snow, yes WHINING

...or have had enough of flying over simulated snow; it is not a 'whine', it is an opinion ;)

Not complaining that BoS has a winter map, just currently climatologically inclined towards something a bit warmer and more colourful.

Oh my Gawd!   Stop talking and check it out guys.  Not just one, but two of them!  And one of them is flying!!!  

He's obviously on short final, and at that pitch attitude he should have his flaps deployed.

He's obviously on short final, and at that pitch attitude he should have his flaps deployed.

He's probably a noob :D

...or have had enough of flying over simulated snow; it is not a 'whine', it is an opinion ;)

Not complaining that BoS has a winter map, just currently climatologically inclined towards something a bit warmer and more colourful.

I suppose that's a complement to the developers.....I'm sure every participant in the Battle of Stalingrad was "climatologically inclined towards something a bit warmer and more colorful.... :biggrin:   I'm really looking forward to some green terrain myself....

Edited by JagdNeun

The FM is based on the Pe-2. You have to fly it down to the ground and flare. No flaps!!!

We all have our stories. This is mine. Will I buy Battle of Moscow? Yes, I will. Why? Because I want to.  But like some others it will be awhile before I do so. I've watched the price of games climb steadily from $39 to $79 over the years. This has given me some concerns but is out of my hands. I can only guess at the WHY behind the cost increases and I wont speculate here.

My beautiful wife saw fit to allow me to use our hard earned money this tax time to buy a new computer to replace the old 8 year old machine. On a fixed income being retired purchasing a $79 sim will be something that comes later. But it will come when I can get to it. Simply because I believe that the new IL-2 franchise (BoS, BoM, etc) will be great in spite of some of the teething problems. And I want to be onboard.

Chief

• Upvote 2