HeavyCavalrySgt

Battle of Moscow: To Buy In or Not To Buy In, THAT is the Question!

The only reason that people playing EAW aren't looking at the past through rose colored glasses is because they're still living in the past.  I owned EAW.  It was great for 15+ years ago, but it doesn't compare to the new games.

I agree, but it wouldn't be fair to expect it to.  It is great that graphics have reached levels that would have been inconceivable 15 years ago, but it would be nice to have a story too.

I agree, but it wouldn't be fair to expect it to.  It is great that graphics have reached levels that would have been inconceivable 15 years ago, but it would be nice to have a story too.

It's a game.  You're supposed to make your own story.  I was usually in a 109 trying to kill B-17s or I was in a P-51 trying to protect the B-17s.  How much more than that do you really need?

It's a game.  You're supposed to make your own story.  I was usually in a 109 trying to kill B-17s or I was in a P-51 trying to protect the B-17s.  How much more than that do you really need?

Glad it's enough for you. Now you must accept the fact that there is lot's of us who want more immersion to briefings and missions.

Glad it's enough for you. Now you must accept the fact that there is lot's of us who want more immersion to briefings and missions.

Or you're going to have to accept that there aren't enough people who want that stuff to justify the cost.

• Upvote 1

I bought it because some people all of a sudden had more gold bars under their name than I did... and I said to myself "Self... is this what you are?  A single gold-bar having peasant?  Is this who you want to be?"

I chuckled to myself and said "No, other self... I am not.  Thanks for reminding me."

The End.

• Upvote 6

In BoS, the story appears to be that the main character can jump from body to body, corporeally possessing combat aircrews from either side, probably even occupying multiple bodies at the same time, although in different fights even if they are happening in the same places.  Perhaps parallel universes?  Meanwhile, supplies are infinite and you never even bother to learn the names of the guys you fly with because they are just as transient and insubstantial as you are.  For some reason kills still count, although in the long run it doesn't matter if you flew a mission or not because nothing really changes unless you move forwards or backwards in time.

I have not figured out what unlocks represent yet, or really chapters either.

As far as what I wanted, as much as I like sci-fi, I was hoping for a little realism and immersion, or at least not immersion killing mechanics.

• Upvote 1

In BoS, the story appears to be that the main character can jump from body to body, corporeally possessing combat aircrews from either side, probably even occupying multiple bodies at the same time, although in different fights even if they are happening in the same places.  Perhaps parallel universes?  Meanwhile, supplies are infinite and you never even bother to learn the names of the guys you fly with because they are just as transient and insubstantial as you are.  For some reason kills still count, although in the long run it doesn't matter if you flew a mission or not because nothing really changes unless you move forwards or backwards in time.

I have not figured out what unlocks represent yet, or really chapters either.

As far as what I wanted, as much as I like sci-fi, I was hoping for a little realism and immersion, or at least not immersion killing mechanics.

And yet you're still flying the same sorts of missions that you would fly in any other type of flight sim.  It's really just a random mission generator.  Considering how few people actually use flight sim campaigns, they probably should have dumped it completely and put more effort into the quick mission generator and some stand alone missions.

It's really just a random mission generator.  Considering how few people actually use flight sim campaigns, they probably should have dumped it completely and put more effort into the quick mission generator and some stand alone missions.

Exactly.  But when I bought in, I was told to expect an immersive single-player experience. 

If the devs had gone the route you suggest that would have been fine too, I just probably wouldn't have bought in.

• Upvote 4

I would love to pre-order, except

1) I'm flat-ass broke

2) Don't want to spend more on 1CGS until there is a good SP campaign available.

In the meantime, CloD is still incredibly good fun so I can wait.

+1 SirRobin, a random mission generator is exactly what the current campaign is.

Edited by BlueHeron

Exactly.  But when I bought in, I was told to expect an immersive single-player experience. 

Immersive is subjective.  The things that you find immersive, I don't find immersive at all.  In any case, they didn't have the budget to do what you wanted. 

In any case, they didn't have the budget to do what you wanted. 

Strange that they could pull it off with RoF then.

You seem to claim a lot of insider knowledge in your posts.  How come?  I have missed a lot of posts over the past 4 or 5 months - did the devs say the decision to make SP the way it is was financial rather than something else?

I have also seen you saying several times that nobody plays SP, which suggests it wasn't a financial decision so much as a feature that nobody cared about, but I wondered how you know that too.

Strange that they could pull it off with RoF then.

You seem to claim a lot of insider knowledge in your posts.  How come?  I have missed a lot of posts over the past 4 or 5 months - did the devs say the decision to make SP the way it is was financial rather than something else?

I have also seen you saying several times that nobody plays SP, which suggests it wasn't a financial decision so much as a feature that nobody cared about, but I wondered how you know that too.

RoF isn't really a good example for you.  Jason has posted in this forum that not many people fly the RoF campaign, which probably applies to other flight sims as well..  He has also posted that creating a campaign is a lot more expensive than anything that is done for multi-player.  Given those statements it doesn't take too much effort to figure out why the campaign is designed the way it is.  The tough part is figuring out why they made it the only way to get access to unlockables.

I have also seen you saying several times that nobody plays SP, 

I didn't say that.  I said that no one plays flight sim SP campaigns. 

RoF isn't really a good example for you.  Jason has posted in this forum that not many people fly the RoF campaign, which probably applies to other flight sims as well..  He has also posted that creating a campaign is a lot more expensive than anything that is done for multi-player.  Given those statements it doesn't take too much effort to figure out why the campaign is designed the way it is.  The tough part is figuring out why they made it the only way to get access to unlockables.

Interesting, the SP campaign is all I play in RoF. 

In any event, thank you -- our chat convinced me not to buy in for now at least.

• Upvote 1

All this time typing you could have been making or learning to make a campaign with the mission editor. Just saying.

Really now?

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&c=2

That's just one set, from one site. I could spend more time with more links, but don't feel like it.

Point is that is blanket statement, that is untrue. A better wording would be "No one plays BoS SP campaign....because it is bad." At least that one is believable.

Really now?

That's just one set, from one site. I could spend more time with more links, but don't feel like it.

Point is that is blanket statement, that is untrue. A better wording would be "No one plays BoS SP campaign....because it is bad." At least that one is believable.

It was the RoF campaign, actually.  You know, the campaign that everyone is now praising even though hardly anyone uses it.

All this time typing you could have been making or learning to make a campaign with the mission editor. Just saying.

I spent about all of 4 mins. reading and typing. How far would that have got me in the ME?

It was the RoF campaign, actually.  You know, the campaign that everyone is now praising even though hardly anyone uses it.

Re-read what you wrote.

I don't praise the RoF campaign. It was not good either, but 10x better than BoS. At least it was an attempt...although pretty shallow. The reason it is praised by some now, is because in contrast to what BoS offers its so much better. A man will crave a cup of pee if he is thirsty enough. It seems some are thirsty..

• Upvote 2

I spent about all of 4 mins. reading and typing. How far would that have got me in the ME?

Re-read what you wrote.

I don't praise the RoF campaign. It was not good either, but 10x better than BoS. At least it was an attempt...although pretty shallow. The reason it is praised by some now, is because in contrast to what BoS offers its so much better. A man will crave a cup of pee if he is thirsty enough. It seems some are thirsty..

Regardless, we're still left with the fact that people don't play that style of campaign.  They may prefer scripted campaigns like the link you posted to, but that's not the quite the same.

About 4 minutes further than you are right now...and more credit as a person on the forums than someone just complaining and demanding things be done for them.

A journey of a thousand miles starts with one step...it seems many are heading in the wrong direction, though.

According to Jason you are very much in the minority.

i think that majority of the sp players play Pat wilson campaign.

• Upvote 2

According to Jason you are very much in the minority.

That's probably because the career mode still has its problems (mainly AI), so people stick to multiplayer even if they originally bought it for the single player.

How many people bought into RoF before it had a career mode? Surely a large part of the RB3D crowd wanted a career mode more than anything.

Aaah, you blokes.

If you want to fantasise abut flying in the first world war, you have 'Rise of Flight'. It's great.

If you want to fantasise about flying in world war 2, you have IL2 sturmovik (the original one), you have 'Cliffs of Dover' and you have 'IL2 Sturmovik' (the new one). You also have 'War Thunder', so I'm told. There may be more. I don't care.

You pays yer money and you takes yer choice. But I would say this. You should only pay your money when you can actually see what is really on offer. Spending money because you think the developers know what you want is simply the wrong mindset. They will gladly take the money and then let you down.

I'd lay bets on DCS never producing a Normandy Map, but they've already got our money. We need to stop this madness. Chris Roberts included.

Edited by Dutch
  • Upvote 2

In this case I already know what I'm getting. Admittedly other than the qmb I don't do sp. Even if it was good. But as much fun as Ive had is MP on the TWB server it would be silly not to get the next DLC. Bring on the Mc 202 and the p40!

About 4 minutes further than you are right now...and more credit as a person on the forums than someone just complaining and demanding things be done for them.

A journey of a thousand miles starts with one step...it seems many are heading in the wrong direction, though.

Demand things be done for me?

Oh boy. Silly me to expect BoS to deliver on an immersive SP campaign that spoken of. Even more silly to expect BoM to deliver it as well. Hence why some people are not pre ordering again.

Your campaign and cheers to get people to use the ME is well noted. Just not the step I am going to take until I see something good coming from the devs.

Was that an attack directed at me, AM?

is that OUR job now?

Apparently so. And what is more, we should be damned grateful.

It was your job in IL2-1946, also.

Rubbish. 1946 had all of the off-line campaigns from all of the previous releases included. From the original 'Bomber' and 'Fighter' campaigns through to 'Sturmoviks over Manchuria' and beyond. You could pick a nation and fly a campaign. Including all of the 'Pacific Fighters' campaigns.

You evidently have no experience of the game..

• Upvote 3

Rubbish. 1946 had all of the off-line campaigns from all of the previous releases included. From the original 'Bomber' and 'Fighter' campaigns through to 'Sturmoviks over Manchuria' and beyond. You could pick a nation and fly a campaign. Including all of the 'Pacific Fighters' campaigns.

You evidently have no experience of the game..

What is this stuff?

People spent money on a project that didn't deliver , that's why your getting your debates .

We live in a world where the internet can cause great damage to any business plan , or person .

So I guess we'll just have to suffer these discussions until another Pat Wilson comes along and shuts all of you up until the next installment in a genre driven by community contributions (and crybabies).

Robin_mother_baby.jpg

They are additional campaigns made by the community as an expansion to the original. I'm a member there. I've downloaded loads of stuff from that site.

That doesn't alter the fact that 1946 shipped with a campaign for most nations, which were numerous. Including totally fictional campaigns to incorporate jet fighters in the second world war.

Your point?

If the mission generator was so great you wouldn't need all those user made campaigns.

Boom.

Everything is so awesome when looking at the past, right?