BlitzPig_EL

61 People Online on a Saturday.

I'm not sure if you are being serious or not....it doesn't take 200 hours to find this

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/10268-chucks-aircraft-guide/

Or to go on youtube and search IL2 BOS tutorials where you will find requiem's videos.

Seriously do people really expect everything to be done for them?

Yeah, well .. still it wouldn´t be too much to ask for a manual in a sim now wouldn´t it?

Edited by golani79

hold on, i thought it was the pope that sh*t in the woods?!!!

or so i was thought in GTA IV...!

You'll never find a bear without a rosary....

Multiplayer servers are like snowballs, the more players are in the more they come.

When IL2 was at its maximum was out of competition al players were palying there.

Now multiplayer crowd is divided between 3 sims (BOS, CLOD, IL21946.....we may add also DCS) and none of them is crowded because players base is fractioned.

What is missing is a sim able to stand out of competition to gather all players under one roof. In the actual moment there are 3 sims each with a lot of compromises and none able to outperform the others....  

Edited by FS_Fenice_1965
  • Upvote 1

Offers multiple planes that can be flown in wonder woman view, with a rediculous FM and DM....yes I can see the attraction...not

Yes' that happening to the arcade mode, not  to the simulation or the realistic modes. Realistic can get  you easy to a spin  as well. Personally I have recovered most spins in il2 ( except the ones at lower than 1200m altitude)  but not ONE in WT. not ONE regardless the height. This means it is a totally different  sim of course and I reserve the opinion to say harder at  this point only.

Edited by AvengerSeawolf

Multiplayer servers are like snowballs, the more players are in the more they come.

When IL2 was at its maximum was out of competition al players were palying there.

Now multiplayer crowd is divided between 3 sims (BOS, CLOD, IL21946.....we may add also DCS) and none of them is crowded because players base is fractioned.

What is missing is a sim able to stand out of competition to gather all players under one roof. In the actual moment there are 3 sims each with a lot of compromises and none able to outperform the others....  

This is the point I was making. Each one of the "big" 3 has nothing new to offer they are all the same. Warthunder offers exactly the same as the "big" 3 whether one likes to admit it or not. It's the same tired old formula wrapped up in different graphics. If one were to look at things subjectively it's actually warthunder that offers more, in the way of gameplay, than the others. Y'all can be snobs about warthunder but it offers more, for free, than BoS and all the others put together. I haven't played warthunder for a long time. I hoped BoS would be different and offer more but it doesn't and my BoS online life is about 2 minutes every weekend. I turn it on, turn it off and then spend a half hour at most in single player. There is nothing to drag new players in and a lot to force old players out. To be fair it's not entirely the games fault. I put a lot of it down to the players mentality. Very few people can stand to play team death match, airquake for very long. Unfortunately that's all that's on offer when folks sole interest is their score

Does Warthunder have online wars where player actions affect the front lines, where you can destroy the enemies logistics and where you can resupply your own forces? I've never heard of them if so..

IL2 1946 was famous for it's online wars like VEF and SEOW

IL2 Cliffs of Dover now has Storm of War

Eventually we will have the same in IL2-BOS

War Thunder offers nothing that already was not created. It also limits the things we already had. I mean, despite being called a massive multiplayer it has little to do with that "massive" as 16 vs 16 cant really be called like that, and usually its more like <10 vs <10 and some bots. The huge population is wasted by limited game setups, huge maps are a wasted potential as little happens on them and rarely players can find each other.

While BoS certainly lacks in some departments, it can still be corrected and expanded.  

• Upvote 1

The problem is deeper imho.

Is lacking a breakthrough sim.

Il2 1946 is aged and has little new to offer after being player 14 years.

Clod was conceived to be the breakthrough sim, but failed for excessive ambition. Without commercial support development is too slow to keep interest high constantly and increase players base. Another limit is that community is centered around just 2 servers, both full real. There is no way for beginners or occasional players to find alternative and increase players base.

Bos was conceived as a compromise sim. No offence in this. I mean it was a sort of reaction to Clod mistakes. Not a sim able to outperform the others and to set totally new standards, but a stable product with up to date features. Given this, a large part of the community hasn't fallen in love with it. If this sim will be able to surpass the others everywhere (expecially in handling large formations and mass of objects and players), taking advantage of the fact that competing sims cannot develop at the same speed, situation may improve. This depends a lot on the limits of the engine.

If we look at forums discussions, there is a lot of debate (and rivality) about which one is better.

I do not remember these kind of debates with Il2. Much of the debate was to improve the sim itself pushing it towards new standard.

The Ubi forum wasn't called the Zoo for nothing though. The moaning has always gone on and people now have rose tinted spectacles when thinking about IL2.

The real problem is the people playing (or not playing). If people want to do something different then it's actually easy it just takes a little initiative...

This is true. But I wasn't saying that with IL2 there was a more civilized debate or that there was no moaning. With IL2 there was less discussing about how IL2 compared with other sims.

Moaning was moaning by itself. There was less people moaning about lack of features of other sims or asking to have what other sims had.

How many times I've heard people here asking coop il2 stile, different FMB interface, different DM, online wars, higher number of players, bigger formations, campaign IL2 (or ROF) stile, up to date DX support etc.

• Upvote 1

The moaning has always gone on and people now have rose tinted spectacles when thinking about IL2.

+1

The Ubi forum wasn't called the Zoo for nothing though. The moaning has always gone on and people now have rose tinted spectacles when thinking about IL2.

The real problem is the people playing (or not playing). If people want to do something different then it's actually easy it just takes a little initiative...

there is a lot of tint going on here... ;)

post-187-0-16270300-1378582599.png

• Upvote 2

Well I've just been online looking for you guys and I can't find you!

There I was flying around over the snowy landscape but it wasn't happening so I brushed up on my Russian by watching this short information film. 

I'd rather be flying tbh though :(  

I think you should re-read my post young man

Well I've just been online looking for you guys and I can't find you!

There I was flying around over the snowy landscape but it wasn't happening so I brushed up on my Russian by watching this short information film. 

I'd rather be flying tbh though :(  

What dude we're all in Wings of Liberty. Seen some fantastic fighting just now.

For me when I see less people then 40 I'm not go to the server, why ? Because on big map like Stalingrad, flying is boring, more time spend on searching people, rather then do a task. For that I start a topic "why not to unlock servers for more players". Especially when they promised servers with 100+. This was one of the reasons why I bought this game, in particular when I played RoF with 70+ people by the 5 years.

Now this is one of the reason why Im not pre-ordered BoM

I noticed that in RoF there is no big city like Paris or London in channel map. Now there not will be Moscow, so well maybe there I see more people on one server, who knows.

Well, I took up talek's challenge and just went in to the Wings of Liberty server for about an hour. Had a good time shooting up targets with an Il-2 and Johnny Red along as my gunner. Good times, thanks!  :salute:

I mean this picture to go in here rather than the other post.

Server size doesn't matter when you get a nice battle like this going on. There was around 8 aircraft in this fight over Stalingrad. 

post-10861-0-02563400-1428195036_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

I shot my own side up.....twice :unsure:  and then just before bombing an airfield was rammed :wacko:  but overall it was fun!

Ha ha epic. But it was a really good time on that server. I really liked that the airfields weren't right next to each other so people climbed :)

I recorded the track, I damaged a 109 which I got a kill for later. Didn't see this chap until it was too late and was so wounded I could barely move my controls (I didn't even know that was modeled). Made it back to the airfield and landed kinda :D

post-10861-0-31087500-1428195514_thumb.jpg

post-10861-0-41409600-1428195515_thumb.jpg

post-10861-0-44004600-1428195516_thumb.jpg

post-10861-0-16681800-1428195605_thumb.jpg

Edited by 6./JG5_Emil
  • Upvote 1

There is no need for me to provide additional info, look to the link, provided by LizLemon in his message #11. There is total number of players and number of those, who played last 2 weeks.

Just to be clear, I know limitations of SteamSpy, but if it is used to prove something in this thread, then why not to use it to prove something else?

Rarely. It is frustrating to be shot down each time I manage to take off.

Lately have no time at all.

Are you sure about this?

Because on the steam spy site they have this stat; Players in the last 2 weeks: 6,368 ± 3,943 (27.78%)

And given what you said here "2. 4k-7k players only on steam each day is hardly a miss." makes me think that their numbers are pretty much on point. Their numbers and yours appear to jive quite well.

Furthermore the same site says that CloD has a bit north of 200k owners, and roughly 7k unique players every 2 weeks.

So clearly the numbers on the steam spy site are not just players in the last 2 weeks as you contend (they even state this on their website). If I had to venture a guess, I'd say they are probably culling data from active steam accounts - which is something valve defines as any account that has played at least one game for more then an hour in the past 30 days.

PS: has the ruble losing value helped or hurt 1cgs bottom line? I ask because I can see it as being a benefit and a problem.

Are you sure about this? Because on the steam spy site they have this stat; Players in the last 2 weeks: 6,368 ± 3,943 (27.78%)

Ok, I'm wrong. Not 20%, but already  27% of owners played it last 2 weeks. So, it seems someone took my advice and played online yesterday :)

makes me think that their numbers are pretty much on point.

I've cited yesterday's numbers from SteamSpy's link provided by you.

Снимок экрана 2015-04-05 в 4.36.53.png

Of course they are pretty close to them itself :)

Furthermore the same site says that CloD has a bit north of 200k owners, and roughly 7k unique players every 2 weeks.

Well, sorry for CLOD, because now it is pretty solid game. But that is how it is: only 4% of owners play it according to SteamSpy.

BTW: DCS World has low number, because it is free to play. Thus it attracts freebie-lovers (who abuse statistics in bad way for DCS), not simmers.

In fact, I suppose all sim games are pretty similar in number of core of active players.

So clearly the numbers on the steam spy site are not just players in the last 2 weeks as you contend (they even state this on their website).

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say they are probably culling data from active steam accounts - which is something valve defines as any account that has played at least one game for more then an hour in the past 30 days.

There is graph with estimated audience per day. Why not to look to it before guessing?

Data is gathered constantly and updated once per day.

According to service description (I've read it in galyonkin's blog - galyonkin.com), it gathers game statistics (as I understand, play time) and game list on account in statistical sample.

PS: has the ruble losing value helped or hurt 1cgs bottom line?

Obviously It hurts CIS' players (Russia, Ukraine, some other countries), but I don't have any financial information on 1CGS.

You know, someone manages, someone codes. I'm the last one.

Anyway. In my first post I wanted to show, that there is no point in comparing apples with oranges. It gives nothing.

As example, I presented fact, that more percentage of players in BoS, than in competitors. You can't beat this fact, thus you're trying to break credibility of service, you brought to this topic in order to prove your words. Well, I've made a bit of trolling, I suppose.

Anyway, don't be too pessimistic about BoS. Yes it is less popular in online than WT or some other more older and mature games, but it has its own charm which attracts auditorium bit by bit.

I believe, you will see more players eventually.

• Upvote 10

Going to be tricky for old Liz to find fault with that post.

• Upvote 1

For me when I see less people then 40 I'm not go to the server, why ? Because on big map like Stalingrad, flying is boring,

Agree. 40 players is an overall min and still inadequet in some cases. I've been flying with more than 40 players already patroling along the russian fromtier for nearly half an.hour before even seing a contact or flown solem Stuka missions only to get shot down shortly before landing.

This is just hempting the overall great missions we have and kills the fun. Remember the good old syndicate, where Heinkels formed up for transport flights and foghters provided cover for them? This was how MP should be in BoS.

It's more like a seek and destroy game always no matter which side you fly. Or you pick a ground attacker and go for solo strafes flying threw open and unthreatening enemy terrain.

MP has many strongpoints, but player number just kills them all for me. Lets see if this can finally be changed back some day.

• Upvote 1

That's all folks...

:huh:

That should be 600.

So depressing.

Why are you depressed, do you take some money on people's connections? :rolleyes:

This image was fun and see again. I can see my own server ( NORWEGIAN_PF ) and it was long

before I switched to _FB and later just Norwegian-Server. So this picture must be old :-)

But I remember the time before Hyper Lobby , the time when we had to connect through Ubisoft ha ha ha ha ...

16 players on a server wow! :-)

Edited by Wandalen

4k-7k players only on steam each day is hardly a miss. About 20% of owners are playing it, compare e.g. to Skyrim (12%, AAA title in RPG), Wartunder (10% - you know its genre), DCS World (4%), etc.

Skyrim: current players: 42119; which makes it Nr. 8 in the Top 99 played games at Steam, actually not bad for a Game released in 2011. OTOH, that's comparing Apples and Oranges thing, innit?

https://steamdb.info/app/72850/graphs/

War Blunder: current: 12477;

DCS: current: 240

Source:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/?l=german

https://steamdb.info/app/223750/graphs/

You are right when you say 4-7k players a day are hardly a miss. But, then i'm asking my self, from where do you get that numbers? Because the Steamdatabase shows an alltime peak of 224 daily players (reached 25 Dec, 2014).

Source:

https://steamdb.info/app/307960/graphs/

Until in BOS there will be at least 64 slots on server and we dont have something similar like ADW or other virtual fronts multiplayer will be boring and dying.  As i know offline mode is also crap in BOS alhough im only online player so i dont care offline.

What casue big succes for Il2 was great online gameplay - a lot of players and virtual fronts or interactive server like ADW.  People are organized in virtual squadrons some even very big ones an really have interest to play.

Dont see anything similar in BOS actually.

Edited by 303_Kwiatek
  • Upvote 1

But, then i'm asking my self, from where do you get that numbers?

Link in post #11 by LizLemon: http://steamspy.com/app/307960

Data for other titles is available via links in my post, quoted by you.

It is estimation, of course, you may read more about its limitations on SteamSpy's about page.

Why are you depressed, do you take some money on people's connections? :rolleyes:

Pips, I'm depressed because I am a fan of WW2 aviation and WW2 combat flight simulation.  Over the years I have had countless good times online and met, both virtually and in real life, lots of really good people, many of which I

count as good/close personal friends, and now I am seeing the thing that has enriched my life slowly fade away.

I don't post to be negative or to start a wind up with anyone or the developers, or simply to troll, I post because I am concerned about what I see happening to the genre in general.

That's the truth of it.

Pips, I'm depressed because I am a fan of WW2 aviation and WW2 combat flight simulation.  Over the years I have had countless good times online and met, both virtually and in real life, lots of really good people, many of which I

count as good/close personal friends, and now I am seeing the thing that has enriched my life slowly fade away.

I don't post to be negative or to start a wind up with anyone or the developers, or simply to troll, I post because I am concerned about what I see happening to the genre in general.

That's the truth of it.

This isn't directed at you (I agree with what you said) but this community is so self destructive it is beyond belief. Look at the number of venomous posts there are...you would think there is a large number of people who want to see IL2 fail. It was just teh same with 1C & MG in CLOD until they went belly up and now CLOD is lauded as the second coming. TF might be doing a good job but it can not compare to a well financed company which has the resources to pump cash in to it's project. It will be the same for IL2 if it is killed off by the same people.

There's a whole bunch of stuff I would like to see changed, I am vocal about some of them and pragmatic about others but more importantly I am spending my time flying and enjoying the sim. I wasted enough years waiting for patches in IL2 Forgotten Battles (everyone forgets ab out some of the horror stories of that sim), then waiting for CLOD/SOW to be released and then waiting for fixes etc. IL2-BOS reminds me of the old days, it is better than 1946 and CLOD imho because it gives me that feeling which CLOD didn't.

If we get online and fly and make freinds more people will join....if we just slag the whole thing off and pick holes in it then it will become more and more obscure. I am convinced there are many people who want the latter.

Cheers

Emil