US3PG_Hubbard

The wind was a blowin!

I was flying about in the Eagle's Nest today. And they changed things. The clouds were different but the big thing was the wind. Where my plane was parked I could see the wind sock and it was straight out bouncing around a bit to left and right. It look very realistic. And landing was a whole new challenge. Thumbs up to the host.

I was flying about in the Eagle's Nest today. And they changed things. The clouds were different but the big thing was the wind. Where my plane was parked I could see the wind sock and it was straight out bouncing around a bit to left and right. It look very realistic. And landing was a whole new challenge. Thumbs up to the host.

See, now I'm conflicted...two people have complained about the wind being too severe. Originally the turbulence was set to "1" all this time, then I did some tests and put it to "6" which was extreme, I then settled on turbulence = "4". I got home from work today to see a rush of complaints on the TWB forum. I'm attributing this to people not being used to it, but I'm a bit disappointed in the willpower to overcome an interesting challenge/aspect of the game. It would definitely even out the ease of Russians winning the mission all the time, which I think is too easy at the moment.

I've since lowered it to "2" to see how it works, but I'm determined to keep turbulence in the mission...mainly to make those 1000m sniper shots at low speeds very difficult; they're too easily done in this game right now.

Either way, please keep the feedback coming.

Edited by AbortedMan
  • Upvote 2

I haven't had the chance to experience the new weather settings as I've been away on business but I for one can't wait for the challenge!

lol abortedman, you can't win. I flew around on the TWB server today and there was some mild turbulence....I actually enjoyed it!! thats what its like to fly IRL - its not all smooth sailing. It just means it further tests your skills as a pilot. For the first time in a combat flight sim, I actually had to use rudder (and crab into the wind) on landing with the He-111...was awesome. 

I think I'm going to reiterate my previous suggestion on the TWB forums with a little more detail here in case it was taken the wrong way.

There are some gameplay differences that will occur with added turbulence and I fully believe there is some merit to the idea as it can limit options for dealing with ground such as hard limiting the effectiveness of the 23/37mm cannons vs armor and not allowing people to conduct high altitude bombing from 6k.  This can completely change tactics used but also could push even less people to use the ground attack aircraft we would all love to see more of on every server.

With the current set up of a single mission I believe that it should be a more docile environment because the added turbulence is certainly not for everyone.  Once you have multiple missions in the chain I think the idea of heavy turbulence should not only be revisited but implemented.

Here is an example of something interesting.  Imagine the series starts on map 3 and there are maps 1 -5 in order with 1 being the Germans last stand and 5 being the Russians.  If one side is able to push all the way to the other sides final map the defending side could have a heavier armor force than the attackers and heavier turbulence would as noted above limit some of their options to deal with armor or simply increase the time it takes to use those weapons.  I think a lot more people would be on board with the turbulence if it was used in this manner because it is absolutely game changing and interesting without being something you have to stomach constantly.

I would suggest before implementing any more heavy turbulence missions that you spend time doing ground attack with both the Stuka and IL2 in QMB with the exact wind and turbulence settings as a test bed.  I know I tried to carry an 1800kg in the Stuka just to be a bastard and it was nearly impossible to climb very far due to the low power, high weight, and heavy loss of energy due to the side to side movement caused by turbulence.

We all highly appreciate your work ABM and I hope you can balance it out for the best of both worlds.

See, now I'm conflicted...two people have complained about the wind being too severe. Originally the turbulence was set to "1" all this time, then I did some tests and put it to "6" which was extreme, I then settled on turbulence = "4". I got home from work today to see a rush of complaints on the TWB forum. I'm attributing this to people not being used to it, but I'm a bit disappointed in the willpower to overcome an interesting challenge/aspect of the game. It would definitely even out the ease of Russians winning the mission all the time, which I think is too easy at the moment.

I've since lowered it to "2" to see how it works, but I'm determined to keep turbulence in the mission...mainly to make those 1000m sniper shots at low speeds very difficult; they're too easily done in this game right now.

I don't suppose there's a way to make the turbulence/win setting dynamic?

Or that there's a way to set a certain level for them depending on altitude?

Sorry, too much wind on a server will make me start looking for another server.  It's interesting the first few times, but then it just becomes a aggravation.  And ground pounding, I will click the leave server button right away.  I want my aiming skills to refect just that, my skills.  With the wind it's just luck.  Your just guessing when the wind is going to blow everytime you line up a shot.  It always seems to be right when I pull the trigger.  I know people are on both sides, but those who like it will be flying the server with problably half the other poeple gone.  I like to enjoy my flying time, not be so frustrated by the wind I quit.       

Setting of 2-3 sounds fine, and makes it a bit more interesting.

Sorry, too much wind on a server will make me start looking for another server.  It's interesting the first few times, but then it just becomes a aggravation.  And ground pounding, I will click the leave server button right away.  I want my aiming skills to refect just that, my skills.  With the wind it's just luck.  Your just guessing when the wind is going to blow everytime you line up a shot.  It always seems to be right when I pull the trigger.  I know people are on both sides, but those who like it will be flying the server with problably half the other poeple gone.  I like to enjoy my flying time, not be so frustrated by the wind I quit.       

This is a fair point, but would you be more agreeable with adverse wind conditions if it was intended to make it more interesting in the manner I mentioned above?

Setting of 2-3 sounds fine, and makes it a bit more interesting.

Sounds good to me too.  Wind Happens.  :biggrin:

This is a fair point, but would you be more agreeable with adverse wind conditions if it was intended to make it more interesting in the manner I mentioned above?

Maybe the first two times it would be interesting but after that, I would rather bang my head against a wall. Enjoy flying in the server without me.

Sounds good to me too.  Wind Happens.  :biggrin:

Just to clarify - Wind is very very smooth in the game.  Max wind will just push you in whatever direction or cause you to fly smoothly with your noise pointed off heading to maintain the line you are actually trying to take.

The turbulence setting will cause the shaking that you are seeing discussed.  Check it out in the QMB.  Do max turbulence no wind then max wind no turbulence.

Maybe the first two times it would be interesting but after that, I would rather bang my head against a wall. Enjoy flying in the server without me.

Im confused, Aborted put it back to the mild 2 like it has always been (as mentioned above) and you won't be flying on the server?

Sorry post can be confusing. Whatever setting makes your nose whimp left and then return sucks. I haven't flew in a week. Business trip. I plan on flying tonight. I hope minus that setting that others are talking about.

Sorry post can be confusing. Whatever setting makes your nose whimp left and then return sucks. I haven't flew in a week. Business trip. I plan on flying tonight. I hope minus that setting that others are talking about.

See you there, dont shoot the Stukas down :)

Enjoy flying in the server without me.

Will do.

• Upvote 1

Turbulence is a thing in flight! To be so opposed to it is like being opposed to having stalls enabled...it's just part of the game!

Everyone has been on 0 turbulence for so long that they've become accustom to the easy mode, it seems. The complaint I'm hearing is "I can't shoot straight with all this wind and turbulence"...that's EXACTLY what wind and turbulence does and why it's in the mission! Literally! It's there to make aiming harder so we're not seeing 1000m sniper shots at slower speeds that happen a little too often.

• Upvote 5

Turbulence is a thing in flight! To be so opposed to it is like being opposed to having stalls enabled...it's just part of the game!

Everyone has been on 0 turbulence for so long that they've become accustom to the easy mode, it seems. The complaint I'm hearing is "I can't shoot straight with all this wind and turbulence"...that's EXACTLY what wind and turbulence does and why it's in the mission! Literally! It's there to make aiming harder so we're not seeing 1000m sniper shots at slower speeds that happen a little too often.

Does the wind actually affect the ballistics of the rounds whilst in the air?

Edited by Campyboo

Does the wind actually affect the ballistics of the rounds whilst in the air?

That's a good question, I don't think so, but it's worth a test for MG/cannon rounds. I don't think turulence is modeled against bombs, definitely wind, but not turbulence.

I enjoy randomness in encounters, weather is a big factor.  Is there any possible way for dynamic wind and turbulence to be implemented? 

Having turbulence change from 0-3 would be interesting.  If you watch the gun cams sometimes things are super stable and sometimes the sights are being thrown about.

I enjoy randomness in encounters, weather is a big factor.  Is there any possible way for dynamic wind and turbulence to be implemented? 

Having turbulence change from 0-3 would be interesting.  If you watch the gun cams sometimes things are super stable and sometimes the sights are being thrown about.

No, it can't be dynamically changed, as far as I can tell. And it's a blanket setting, as you know...can't change it per altitude. Maybe I'll just throw up random mission versions of different wind/turbulence values while I have only this mission running to keep things dynamic.

• Upvote 1

Can you please increase turbulence when someone is shooting at me and decrease it when I'm shooting at someone else.  Thanks!

I noticed that the wind and turbulence were indeed making things much more of a challenge. After landing I had to change my virtual underwear!

I would not want such high wind every day. But throwing in variety on the server ever now and then is good. I want to point out that the clouds changed too. Result was that I was a bit more lost than usual.

~S~ Everyone,

What a dry piece of toast it would be if buffeting by the wind was not liberally included in these simulations is my view of this.

Anything you can do to add variety to the take-off attack, low / high bombing, recon, resupply and land that pilots are to do is great.

AbortedMan "gets it". He's mentioned other criteria for missions such as "mini-dioramas" for pilots to take in while taxiing for example.

There is a long standing divide, often referred to as the fighter-jocks and the bomber-pilots, that's just pc talk (heh) for gamers .vs simmers.

Once you've "flown" a long time in these sims, you come to see the genius in subtle visual cues in missions and things that make them interesting.

Anyone that complains about the weather conditions being anything but ideal or perfect for their flight is not a simmer, they are a "not a simmer". :o: 

Anyway, hats off to varieties, it's why watches with more complications are more expensive than those with less. If you can't enjoy it then don't. Simple.

Respectfully,

-Jupp- :salute: 

• Upvote 4

turbulence is fine with me... wind is what bugs me.
keep it in, i say :)
will get our skills up for carrier ops in the future, where wind is going to be critical.

Flying for two or three hours without seeing a contact is realistic also, but not many people want that either. There was a reason planes were grounded due to weather. That is realistic. Small wind was always there, just don't make it annoying.

• Upvote 3

Wind is no problem becouse you are moving with air mass relative to ground which could be easy account for. Turbulence is what throw you plane in all direction making aiming harder. Up in the sky without looking at reference point or guage you will not tell diffrence if wind is 2/ms or 200 km/h.

It might be nice if one's view during turbulence wasn't locked to the aircraft but to the world. 

Just an observation.

I was flying on the EN server late last week, I had never tried the cross wind landing mission, and have never attempted a cross wind landing in any other sim either. So here I was in my Pe-2 heading back from a bombing run, beat to hell, one engine left as the other gave out half way home, damaged rudder and a broken elevator. I had one shot at the landing, pushing engine No.2 to it very limits just to stay in the air, almost stalled her trying to make the last turn to line up with the runway. 

My heart was pumping, hands sweating, and with the cross wind I was coming in at what seemed like almost a 45 degree angle. I did not have high hopes of getting her on the ground in one piece, but to my utter and complete surprise she straightened out just as the wheels were about the hit, and although it was a ruff landing, I did it. I was shocked, no way did I really just pull that off! I sat back, drank a long swig of my almost warm beer and smiled. It was the most intense moment I had ever had playing not just a sim, but any video game EVER!

Edited by JadeBandit

P.S. Since I can no longer edit my above post, I really only noticed bad turbulence while climbing through the clouds, after that I didn't really notice it having much of an effect on my aim. I was going after ground targets so I was pretty low to the ground, I don't know if it very's with altitude or not.

Edited by JadeBandit

JadeBandit - that is exactly why wind and turbulence are so good to include.

Also I think that the most fun you can have in flight sims is returning home shot to bits.

Also I think that the most fun you can have in flight sims is returning home shot to bits.

Only, BoS penalises you for trying to make it home injured, or plane broken, would be better if you got more points (sigh) when trying to attempt this.

Mick. :)

• Upvote 1

As much as I enjoy the turbulence, there shouldn't be very much in these cold conditions - so I'm told by a pilot member of our squad.

56RAF_phoenix

As much as I enjoy the turbulence, there shouldn't be very much in these cold conditions - so I'm told by a pilot member of our squad.

56RAF_phoenix

He's correct, it also depends on the time of day, wind speed, and the fact that Stalingrad is pretty much flat all around. I think this game does a pretty decent job in implementing it if I remember correctly. I remember a couple missions in the campaign where I experienced thermal turbulence when you have turbulence below the clouds, but can avoid it by climbing over them.

Only, BoS penalises you for trying to make it home injured, or plane broken, would be better if you got more points (sigh) when trying to attempt this.

Mick. :)

The reward is your life :P But it would be really sweet if it showed the percentage of how damaged your aircraft was after you land.

Edited by [Y-29]Silky

Let's go all out for the summer map. Give us a big nasty thunderstorm with lightening and hail. Throw in a tornado for Fundahl.