Sign in to follow this  
6./ZG26_Emil

Spawning aircraft two abreast

Gents

Is it possible to modify the fakeairfield runway spawn so planes only spawn in two abreast? I tested my mission last night and as I expected it tried to spawn 3 of us in a line across the runway with about 1ft distance between wingtips.

If not what workarounds are there?

At the moment I can only think of either spawn in the pens or have more than one fakefield spawn per runway.

Cheers

Emil

Edited by 6./JG5_Emil

The multiple runways at one location trick is what we (as a squadron) do routinely for CloD. In that game it works fine so long you're a bit clever at naming the "runways" (eg. Red Sectin, Yellow Section, etc,) and everyone can coordinate on comms.

But easily editable spawning patterns would be far far preferable (and - you'd think - doable, given the fact that we can modify taxiing patterns in fakefields (can't we? or am I getting confused again?).

I might be dumb but I can see where you edit Taxi points but what use does it have for an airfield that spawns human planes?

I'll be quite shocked if there is no option to change how many aircraft rows the game will spawn...a fakefield_rnwspawn by default is 5 abreast! That's way too many aircraft to fit on most of the runways....I only had 3 people to test but if I'd had 5 would it have spawned 5 IL2s across the width of the runway putting at least two of them on the snow?

Am I being thick??

The spawn points are meant to be on the ramps not the runways, I'm assuming. Spawning on runways gets dangerous if someone is on final approach and a new aircraft pops into existence.

The spawn points are meant to be on the ramps not the runways, I'm assuming. Spawning on runways gets dangerous if someone is on final approach and a new aircraft pops into existence.

I thought the fakeairfield_rnwspawn was for spawning on the actual runway?

What's the difference between the two other than the configuration they spawn in? 

I was basically trying to modify my coop mission so that everyone spawned on the runway so we didnt have to wait 20 minutes for everyone to taxis plus avoid the inevitable taxi crashes :D

I thought the fakeairfield_rnwspawn was for spawning on the actual runway?

What's the difference between the two other than the configuration they spawn in? 

I was basically trying to modify my coop mission so that everyone spawned on the runway so we didnt have to wait 20 minutes for everyone to taxis plus avoid the inevitable taxi crashes :D

Heh, that's all part of the adventure, my friend. Getting a system in place to mitigate crashes during taxiing is part of the fun with your group, imo. The fakeairfields are used to spawn wherever you want an aircraft to spawn. Doesn't matter if it's on an airfield or not...you could spawn in the middle of Stalingrad if you want to, just put the airfield object on one of the streets and you're there. I place my airfields on the ramps (flat, clear snowy areas on airfields) so people taking off/landing have chance to scope out the runway/people taxiing to know when it will be clear...plus it gives the opportunity for the player to view their surroundings on the airfield and gives you a chance as a mission creator to increase immersion a bit by making various airfield scenes to look at while taxiing, which is cool.

Edited by AbortedMan

Ha ha it's not our taxiing skills that are the problem...do you remember co-ops in the old IL2 there was always someone who rammed everyone on the runway :D

I can change my mission to ramp starts, it was already a request from one of our squad I just thought there was a difference between the two fakefields other than the parked configuration multiple planes spawned in.

From days of yore (i.e. IL2), my squadron has always spawned on the runway for its coops, so we were happy that the fakefieldrw... object is there, and so far we're using that for starting our BoS coops. It's been working out OK for us, so far - admittedly the most we've had spawning in has only been twelve or thirteen.

Also, we've only spawned fighters like this. Spawning in with Heinkels would ensure much hilarity and 'profane' language...

Rock on some spawn-pattern-edit hack...!

Swallow are you using multiple fakefields at one airfield then?

Even 5 fighters abreast seems a bit of a squeeze.

Not yet, Emil. Placing the fakefieldrw next to the left hand edge of the runway means the aircraft are spread nicely across the width of - well- Gumrak-sized runways (we've been using the Lapino map for our squadron testing).

FIghters are still pretty close to each other, with lots of possibilites for multiple pile-ups and so on, but if you're just doing it within your squadron - with a bunch of mates, effectively - its fine, and - arguably - part of the fun.

If it was a public server, and/or if people were trying to land at the same time as others were spawning on the same runway... there'd be lots of frustration in a short space of time!

Swallow I tried to scan the mis file to see if there was a parameter that controlled the array of slots but no luck. I guess you could place a spawn block at each end of the runway also. Or use comms discipline for coops if you have multiple spawn points close and at one end. Thing is I am not sure how easy it would be to select them as the zoom does not go as far in as on CloD. I was also wondering if the taxi points can be edited in a similar way to what was done on CloD for our coops. No idea though as I have not looked at taxi points

That brings up another question. What does Taxi points do? is it only for the AI path?