FlatSpinMan

What's your plan for when you first start up BoS beta?

1- Setup Basics controls.

2- Set maximum graphics   :biggrin: 

3- QMB air start

4- Check FPS 

5- Then down the graphics to medium settings, Maybe I think ..  :(

6- Look for official  online server developed for testing purposes.

7- Then fly  and search  a enemy  plane.   :joy:

8- If I  Kill a enemy plane. 

I will come to the forum ...and will say that the BoS Sim is Great, Thanks Thanks Thanks !. 

9- If my plane is Shot Down.

I  will come to the forum - and I will  start a long complains about flight models.   

After two weeks flying BoS, ... I'll be saying the opposite about  8 and 9   :wacko:

1- Setup Basics controls.

2- Set maximum graphics   :biggrin: 

3- QMB air start

4- Check FPS 

5- Then down the graphics to medium settings, Maybe I think ..  :(

6- Look for official  online server developed for testing purposes.

7- Then fly  and search  a enemy  plane.   :joy:

8- If I  Kill a enemy plane. 

I will come to the forum ...and will say that the BoS Sim is Great, Thanks Thanks Thanks !. 

9- If my plane is Shot Down.

I  will come to the forum - and I will  start a long complains about flight models.   

After two weeks flying BoS, ... I'll be saying the opposite about  8 and 9   :wacko:

Lol laughed out load when I read the bit about complaining about the flight models if you get shot down.Very good.!

• Upvote 1

I want to see how the flight model does at low speed.  we've seen some interesting stuff in the live streams, but not that.

I will try extreme slow flight, and see how reacts to straight and level flight on the verge of a stall.  Does the nose wander like it should?  If you use flaps, does the pitch angle at the edge of the stall change?  What happens if you retract the flaps suddenly?  Drop the gear?  Do the ailerons' effectiveness change at low speed?  How about turns?  Does the engine get sufficient cooling at high power settings and low airspeed?

What about stalls?  Does the airplane stall and recover as plausibly in straight flight and from turns?

Do these things change as they should changing the weight of the aircraft?

How about take off or climbing stalls?   Approach stalls?  How much altitude does it take to recover?

What seems to be best glide? How much altitude does it take to make a 360 degree turn with no power at best glide?

Where are the best rate and best angle of climb speeds? 

Do those critical numbers agree with what the manufacturer actually recommended?

Lol laughed out load when I read the bit about complaining about the flight models if you get shot down.Very good.!

:biggrin:  

I found a translation of the LAGG's pilot's manual online.  There is not a whole bunch of information in it, but there is some interesting phrasing - I really wonder how it reads in Russian. 

"Landing gear to produce at a speed of 300-320 km / h. landing gear to press the crane chassis, located beneath the glory of the gas lever, with the words "Release.""

I wonder about the "glory" of a mixture control (or perhaps the throttle?)

I found a translation of the LAGG's pilot's manual online.  There is not a whole bunch of information in it, but there is some interesting phrasing - I really wonder how it reads in Russian. 

"Landing gear to produce at a speed of 300-320 km / h. landing gear to press the crane chassis, located beneath the glory of the gas lever, with the words "Release.""

I wonder about the "glory" of a mixture control (or perhaps the throttle?)

Any chance of a link?

Get a bottle of Jack Daniels

Pour a glass

Spend two hours setting up my HOTAS setup so that I have all the buttons mapped.  During this time drink at least 1/2 the bottle.

Try taking off.  After about four attempts realize I am too pissed to fly and go to bed.

Go to work for the next three days, come back and realize that I forgot to write down all my keymaps and I don't remember what button does what.

Start all over again.  Might take another bottle of Jack.

• Upvote 6

I've started putting together a unit-based campaign for a Russian IL2 squadron - a dead-is-dead campaign which I will build as I go.

I'll put together a character profile complete with pilot image dug up from the internet. If I die then I become my own replacement with new name, rank, background etc. But the campaign story continues as it follows the unit, from initial flight and navigation training to more specific training such as gunnery, to finally reaching the front lines and getting into combat. I love that style of campaign. 

But it's proving rather frustrating getting information on the relevant Russian IL2 units.  :dry:

Rof's career is great for this kind of thing. It provides photos, bio's, plus of course, missions. And once you die you have the option to refly immediately, or else end the mission, and with it, that character. As I always die within days, I started following the squadron via constant replacement pilots.

Assuming you mean after all the controls, graphics and other setting shave been set.  I plan to check of it is possible to do ground loops, I assume it will be because they are in RoF but I have yet to see this modelled in a WWII era fighter.

Edited by ICDP

Rof's career is great for this kind of thing. It provides photos, bio's, plus of course, missions. And once you die you have the option to refly immediately, or else end the mission, and with it, that character. As I always die within days, I started following the squadron via constant replacement pilots.

Sweet, I haven't gone beyond single missions in RoF and have been holding back on "getting into it" knowing that BOS is just around the corner. But it seems like I should for the experience. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

I plan to read the manual carefully, and then.... Naaah, just kidding! ;-)

I hope it isn't that light gray print like the old 2001 manual. Who were they kidding with that thing? I think it was made up as kind of a joke or maybe they rang out of cash and light gray is the cheapest ink. I had a hell of a time reading it.

Edited by II./JG27Richie

Top off the liquid and battery in my Reo, program my sticks, and set out to master bombing in the Pe-2 (giggle).

Assuming you mean after all the controls, graphics and other setting shave been set.  I plan to check of it is possible to do ground loops, I assume it will be because they are in RoF but I have yet to see this modelled in a WWII era fighter.

The ME should be pretty good at that. ;-)

After configuring controls and all the graphics settings to high, planning on taking any plane up for a test run and hope to bring it back in one piece.   Nothing fancy, just a performance/test flight and a little sight seeing. 

After configuring controls and all the graphics settings to high, planning on taking any plane up for a test run and hope to bring it back in one piece.   Nothing fancy, just a performance/test flight and a little sight seeing. 

Pretty much the same here. I just want to get a feel for the fidelity of the flight models (I have great confidence in this), luxuriate in the stunning graphics and soak up the audio. If I can land in one piece, too, that'll be a very nice bonus. :)

Non alcoholic beer? confused.

Life in germany is endurable even without alcohol.

I'll probably just carry on playing CoD until the eager beavers have identified all the bugs and the first patch has been issued.

On the other hand, I might well find that the temptation to climb into the cockpit cannot be resisted.

Setting up controls then enter my favorites plane, a LaGG-3 and run something like for instance a 500x50km test map.For the first 2-3 weeks no weaponry, so i’ll need to concentrate on piloting, game settings, input settings and game performance on my PC. By December i’ll wish my St. Claus ammo and then start trying out various sorts of un-lockable mods. I’ll give you further details in my next DevBlog. ;) ;) :lol:

Best from Berlin, Allons!

I'll probably just carry on playing CoD until the eager beavers have identified all the bugs and the first patch has been issued.

I will be carrying on with Cliffs as well, as I won't have any access anyways for at least the next couple of months or so the way it sounds.

Thank goodness for TF4. You guys have fun...

Edited by dburnette

Sit around twiddling my thumbs a bit,I think. Then I guess I'll actually learn how to fly a LaGG properly.

I'd much rather have lots of planes WITH GUNS straight away, but if there is an upside (from a player's short term interest point of view), it is that we'll be quite proficient in some planes by the time the later releases roll out.

Console yourselves with the thought of swooping down mercilessly on new players still trying to work everything out.

And blasting them to smithereens with your exclusive Founder-only gunpods ( I KNEW we shouldn't have voted them away :-) )

Yeah... I'd also like to beg LesniHU to do his magic Autopilot prog for BoS so I can figure out real aircraft speeds at my preferred alts with little to no hassle at all... :biggrin:  :cool:

+100

Problems is there will be no DeviceLink support aval at launch per 'what we know so far' thread per Jason, i.e.

•External physical instrument support (as IL-2 DeviceLink) will not be available at launch. (Jason)

So LesniHU wont be able to interface with BoS to log such data, hence my thread I posted a few days ago

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/1757-flight-model-accuracy/

I'd much rather have lots of planes WITH GUNS straight away, but if there is an upside (from a player's short term interest point of view), it is that we'll be quite proficient in some planes by the time the later releases roll out.

No reason to assume that we won't have that in the beta. :ph34r:

That said, using your dreams and your best guesses, how do you plan to spend your first moments with Battle of Stalingrad?

Well.. I figured I would try something different and do what a lot of people do, you know so I fit into the 'norm' a little better with the goal of being accepted by the majority.. With that said here is my list of things to do

1) Me vs. AI, one on one, if I shoot down the AI, I will log into the forum and complain about how easy the AI is. If the AI shoots me down, I will log into the forum and complain about how the AI is cheating or how the AI has different FMs.

2) Me vs. Human in same plane, one on one, online. if I shoot down the other guy, I will log into the forum and talk about how perfect the FMs are. If the other guy shoots me down, I will log into the forum and complain about how the the other guy is cheating via a hack.

3) Me vs. Human in different planes, one on one, online. if I shoot down the other guy, I will log into the forum and talk about how perfect the FMs are. If the other guy shoots me down, I will log into the forum and complain about how the the other guy is cheating via a hack or how bad the FM is in the plane I was flying, or how uber the FM is of the plane the other guy was flying.

After that I should fit right in and be accepted by the majority! ;)

• Upvote 1

First thing m gonna do is practice pew pew pew noises for when I get on ACES 6 and no guns :)

My first bug report to the devs will propably be something like this:

"LaGGs FM seems to be faulty. Spins out of control, whenever I execute a Pugachev's Cobra. Plz make LaGG über-awesome asap kthx."

• Upvote 1

Master the fine are of using the propeller to chop up aircraft. Alternatively, if flare guns work, flare gun duels!

• Upvote 2

:lol:

Oh man. This hurts. I just re-read all the cool things we thought we'll be doing. :(

Mine doesn't change at all.

I'll climb in the LaGG, look at the controls with a confused, pained expression on my face, then climb out and wait for my 109 to turn up.

• Upvote 1

Get a bottle of Jack Daniels

Pour a glass

Spend two hours setting up my HOTAS setup so that I have all the buttons mapped.  During this time drink at least 1/2 the bottle.

Try taking off.  After about four attempts realize I am too pissed to fly and go to bed.

Go to work for the next three days, come back and realize that I forgot to write down all my keymaps and I don't remember what button does what.

Start all over again.  Might take another bottle of Jack.

Lol, I've actually done that.

Please do do yourself a BIG favor, switch from Jack to Wild Turker, prefferably the 101 variant. You'll be much happier in the end !

Ha! Some funny guys in this forum.

New plan.

See if it runs. If so, play whatever the hell I can in my hour or two-lng window.

Looking forward to seeing it though, and screenshoting every mission to death.

• Upvote 1

:lol:

Oh man. This hurts. I just re-read all the cool things we thought we'll be doing. :(

+1

The purpose of feedback in communication is to ensure that message has been understood.

This topic is probably the best example that an undetermined numbers of members of this community didn't get the message properly.  

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/1556-whats-your-plan-when-you-first-start-bos-beta/?p=35182

Edited by Rodolphe