BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 92 - Discussion

Hi Everybody!

Today we're going to show you the first screenshots of a plane that will be released as a part the Battle of Moscow project and after that will become available to all BOM (and BOM + BOS) pilots. This plane is the premium MC.202.

Furthermore, I suggest you to get to know this machine closer. The note below was written by our engineer known as Phenazepam here on the forum, who's kindly agreed to steal a minute from FM tuning and to share his first impressions about Macchi.

The plane’s going to be pretty interesting, with it’s specific advantages and drawbacks. Both are full of controversies. Macchi combines rather moderate external dimensions of Messerschmitts and robustness of Fockewulf, aerodynamically clean centerbody but powered by an outmoded Alfa Romeo RA1000 engine...

Still, this aircraft will definitely have its fans, and not exclusively Italians. Primarily because Macchi has a tough framework boasting an all-metal construction (except the rudders) of the airframe and two-spar wings. If Bf 109s are known for their asymmetrical rudder profile, the Macchi’s peculiarity is asymmetrical wing panels: left wing is 20 cm longer than the right one. Those wings don’t have slats. Landing gear is generally similar to the one on FW 190, it’s quite wide and serviceable. There’s a stabilizer on the elevation rudder, and no trimmers on other surfaces.

Overall approach to the framework design seemed a bit surprising to me: on the one hand the aircraft is aerodynamically clean and correct, on the other hand both of its radiator cowlings look raw and ill-placed. Apertures in the canopy behind pilot’s seat are another questionable decision - both from aerodynamics and pilot’s comfort points of view.

Speaking of flying MC.202 I’d say that there’s going to be very few surprises to Messerschmitt fans. The engine is an export version of DB601Aa that was also used on earlier Bf 109 models. But unlike other Bf 109s in our game, this one doesn’t have a good old automated constant-speed unit. Macchi’s CSU only has two basic positions: 2200 and 2400 rpm. All other modes are up to the pilot to set up and maintain by controlling prop pitch manually. Water and oil radiator controls are manual as well.

In a word, just wait for this bird to appear in the game to test in out personally. And keep in mind - Macchi’s throttle is inverted :)

macchi_1.jpg        macchi_2.jpg

macchi_3.jpg        macchi_4.jpg

And a couple of more announcements.

We've deceded to move all FM discussions to a special section. FM discussion in all other parts of this forum that violate p.18 of the Rules will be a subject to moderation.

Also I have news about the servers formely known as EU BOS official MP servers. They are now controlled and maintained by the guys from DED squad. They will run more interesting missions, listen to your feedback and build some decent MP experience. More details will be available later in this Dserver discussion section

Full news

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 8

That plane looks so beautiful. Nice description about the planes quirks, and if there's one thing I love, it's the quirks that give character.

cheers

Oh boy....this is going to make my Italian friends happy....

Great looking model so far. Can't wait to see that MiG!

Nice looking plane. Is that pilot 18+ ? :biggrin:

... or is he looking at some part of his anatomy that shouldn't grab his attention when piloting a WWII fighter over enemy territory?   :rolleyes:

AA_Engadin

Edited by AA_Engadin

Looks really good. Glad to see the first BoM plane take flight already. :biggrin:

Sounds like it's gonna be mighty interesting too with a lot more character and unique quirks than I anticipated.

Keep those DDs coming, they get me pumped up every time.

Great looking model so far. Can't wait to see that MiG!

You and me both (drool...)

It could litterally be the worst plane in the history of aviation, and I'd still fly it for it's stunning good looks. :)

Beautiful!  :)

As Italian I can't wait to fly this bird... when we can buy BoM?

Only for further precision, on italian aircraft the upper camouflage continued on the lower surfaces of the wings leading edge, to about 20 cm... (also on tailplanes)  ;)

Edited by 150GCT_Pag
  • Upvote 1

Inverted throttle! If you ever fly with me in the Macchi, do NOT fly near me!:P

Thanks for the update. Looking good:)

• Upvote 1

Nice plan(e)s! But a desert camouflage for Russian winter?

Yes, was the standard camouflage for the twelve Breda built C.202 sent in Russia... anyway, no one italian planes had winter camouflage, like Russian and German  ;)

But I think that the skin are "in progress", like the aircraft... is laking also the two inverted triangle on leading edge  (both upper and bottom surface), that was a theatre marking of italian aircraft in Russia, as for the yellow nose and fuselage band.

Edited by 150GCT_Pag

Nice plan(e)s! But a desert camouflage for Russian winter?

It is an accurate camo for a MC 202 on the East Front :

post-481-0-51230900-1427484124_thumb.jpg

A question : will the Regia Aeronautica pilots wear Italian flight suits and helmets?

Would love to see an interior...the Italians had such nice decorating touches,,,still do! ;)

So I m most interested in the Dserver conversation.  IS there going to be any attempts to Optimize the actual dserver application?  Are the DED feellows beta testing that or is this purely a discussion of mission design?  We have a good mission designer in ABM but he is seriously constrained by the massive amount of CPU that AI take up.  Im far from an expert on this subject but understand spreading the load between cores of a dedicated server should help.  Are there plans to make this happen?  

Cheers for the work, the machi looks great!

Hooves

• Upvote 1

Gorgeous-looking plane! - Saw it in person at the Italian Airforce museum in Vigna di Valle some years ago (well worth a visit if you go to Rome, btw!).

• Upvote 1

By far and away one of the most beautiful A/C to come out of WWII. I've got my cash in hand, waiting.

How come one wing is longer than the other?

To compensate for something?

I'm an Aerospace Engineer and I'm a bit stumped by that one. Possibly an uneven weight distribution or to counter some kind of aerodynamic or torque effect? God knows it kinds goes against everything I know Edited by AeroAce
  • Upvote 1

That looks so impressive! Congratulations to all concerned in the making.

I'm an Aerospace Engineer and I'm a bit stumped by that one. Possibly an uneven weight distribution or to counter some kind of aerodynamic or torque effect? God knows it kinds goes against everything I know

How come one wing is longer than the other?

To compensate for something?

Well according to the Smithsonian.....  "Chief designer Castoldi employed a unique method of counteracting the torque and P-factor (propeller factor) generated by the engine. These aerodynamic phenomena often cause airplanes to swing on take off, sometimes uncontrollably. Castoldi made the left wing 21 cm (8 3/8 in) longer than the right wing. The larger wing created more lift which tended to roll the fighter right, opposing and thereby counteracting the torque and P-factor."

Well according to the Smithsonian.....  "Chief designer Castoldi employed a unique method of counteracting the torque and P-factor (propeller factor) generated by the engine. These aerodynamic phenomena often cause airplanes to swing on take off, sometimes uncontrollably. Castoldi made the left wing 21 cm (8 3/8 in) longer than the right wing. The larger wing created more lift which tended to roll the fighter right, opposing and thereby counteracting the torque and P-factor."

Read something similar a few years ago. Since however lift on each spot of the plane is depending on in-air velocity the assymetric wings should induce a torque on the plane when flying at different speeds and engine power than for which this assymetry was designed for. Meaning that at cruise or powered flight the wings would probably induce a corresponding torque and making roll in one direction quicker and in the other slower.

I'm already in love for that beauty, thank you very much for adding that glory to bos+bom, now i can't wait more than before   :good::drinks: