Ammo selection - AP or HE or Both?

Hey guys

I've just been having fun messing around in a LaGG in the QMB practising shooting against He-111's. So nice to be on holiday and have time and energy to devote to the important things in life once again.

Anyway, I was just wondering which ammo loadout you prefer when taking on different types of target, in particular, bombers.

I haven't done enough testing with different options to draw any conclusions, but no doubt someone out there has done so already, and I'm always interested in getting any pointers you may have.

BTW, for newer players

AP = Armour piercing (blue tips in loadout pictures)

HE = High Explosive (orange tips in loadout pictures)

I load THE MIX WHEN AIRIALE FIGHTING, AND THE he FOR GROUND.

stupid new key board is smaller and I keep hitting the caps lock. don't buy the G510s it has no USBs plug ins, and the board is smaller.

Edited by 71st_Mastiff

While I bounce back and forth between AP/HE/APHE Mix, if the chips are down and I need to knock out buffs, as it stands right now, I'd take all AP in 23mm or 37mm.

Just my personal opinion/experiences, but both versus AI and MP attackers/bombers (even fighters) I have gotten the greatest effect out of the AP loadout.

This doesn't apply to Russian 20mm though, I think they are all bad hahahaha, specially the La-5.

APHE = Armour piercing High Explosive (need Mods On Mode to enable it)

Very interesting to see the damage effect from the APHE ammo maybe the damage look similar to the Minegeschoss? A single bullet that do Armour piercing and is High Explosive at the same time what a damage this could do?

APHE = Armour piercing High Explosive (need Mods On Mode to enable it)

Very interesting to see the damage effect from the APHE ammo maybe the damage look similar to the Minegeschoss? A single bullet that do Armour piercing and is High Explosive at the same time what a damage this could do?

just thinking about construction and mechanics, they should be less effective against both aircraft and armored targets, when compared to specialized ammo. A round to have decent AP abilities needs hard penetrator, heavy weight and speed. The more metal you drill out to make room for explosive, the weaker it will be against armor. On the other hand, the more explosive you put in the round, the better is going to be against aircraft with basic fighter/bomber armor.

So, theoretically against fighters and bombers, the Minegeshos type cannon shells (thin can full of explosive), should be the best and against armor straight AP rounds should do the trick. 

Against something like Il-2, the type of shell you are talking about should work best. 

This is just theory. No idea if that's how it works in game.

Edited by Jaws2002

just thinking about construction and mechanics, they should be less effective against both aircraft and armored targets, when compared to specialized ammo. A round to have decent AP abilities needs hard penetrator, heavy weight and speed. The more metal you drill out to make room for explosive, the weaker it will be against armor. On the other hand, the more explosive you put in the round, the better is going to be against aircraft with basic fighter/bomber armor.

So, theoretically against fighters and bombers, the Minegeshos type cannon shells (thin can full of explosive), should be the best and against armor straight AP rounds should do the trick. 

Against something like Il-2, the type of shell you are talking about should work best. 

HE blows wings up and sets thigns on fire

AP kills pilots and breaks engines

more or less how it seems to work

You start with this

AP = Armour piercing (blue tips in loadout pictures)

HE = High Explosive (orange tips in loadout pictures)

Sure that AP is more heavy and create less speed to the target than HE. They have his advantage and disadvantage. But If you copy the data from AP to HE. This give the HE the advantage from AP and the only disadvantage what you get is the same speed & weight that AP had. Now the new created HE  will be more effective and destructive against every target. Did some test with RoF