6./ZG26_5tuka

Custom Alpha Channel Tutorial for Gimp (advanced skinners)

Salute All,

I'm using Adobe CS3 and would very much like to edit my alpha to mate the painted areas and shine up the Alum. I have made some tries at this with the worst out come . I tried to copy my paint and marking to my alpha but im finding invisible holes in my AC in game, small but I see it. Not sure if im needing to convert to shadow before I paste to alpha. Any help would be great.

Salute Wolfe

alpha layer.jpg

I've tried this with Gimp 2.10...and it doesnt seem to work as the OP describes.

A work around I've found is to keep the Alpha channel I want to use as a layer in my template, then I finish my skin and use copy visible (shft+trl+C) and paste as new (shft+ctrl+V), then I copy the alpha layer into the new file as a layer mask. Save as .dds and presto! 

hello

can you please show us how to do this with PS 6 . or where to go to which explains how to .

57 minutes ago, dog1 said:

hello

can you please show us how to do this with PS 6 . or where to go to which explains how to .

Since I don't have PS6 I can't.

On 1/3/2019 at 9:08 PM, Megalax said:

I've tried this with Gimp 2.10...and it doesnt seem to work as the OP describes.

A work around I've found is to keep the Alpha channel I want to use as a layer in my template, then I finish my skin and use copy visible (shft+trl+C) and paste as new (shft+ctrl+V), then I copy the alpha layer into the new file as a layer mask. Save as .dds and presto! 

Late reply, but important: The Tutorial is based on version 2.8. I'm not aware hat issue you ran into and if this is caused by the newer version. If so I will of course update the intial post.

The versions above 2.10.2 seem to have an issue. It took me a while to figure it out but going back to 2.10.2 solved it.

Anyone willing to show how to create bump maps for IL2?

Posted (edited)

It looks like Gimp 2.10.10 is unusable if you apply the alpha channel. The skin is very very dark and "Oily". I went back to 2.10.8 and skin was fine again. It is really sad as 2.10.10 handles multiple layers much faster now.

It looks the same in both versions on desktop, but I wonder if the problem is in compatibility with dds.exe plugin which has not been updated since 2013?

Has anyone else noted this, or found a workaround for this issue? I've been using it like "Merge visible layers -> discard invisible layers" -> "Add layer mask -> Channel, Alpha Channel", Export as DDS, DXT5, Generate mipmaps, Filter -> Box.

Preview in the spoiler as example is skin with historical markings

Spoiler

gimpversions.thumb.jpg.5c4ed76c20424806024bf0775c01e6cc.jpg

Edited by Hanu
Added spoiler tip
  • Confused 1

Thanks to Stuka and Stick for their helpful guides.

I was using Gimp 2.8.18 and had some things that didn't work as stated.  I figured ways around them, and also updated Gimp.  Doing that and using these guides helped tremendously!!

• Upvote 1

Dammit!  Today I had some time, so I thought I would fix the shiny surface on my skins.

I'm doing the same thing I did the other day, that worked.  But today, the Curves window has no affect on the Alpha layer.  I can drag the curve all the way down, and the layer image does not change.  I've tried it several different ways.  Any help is appreciated, or is Gimp just fickle?

EDIT:

Yes, Gimp is Fickle!!  I closed Gimp and waited a while.. Then tried again and it worked.  I just did the same thing as before that didn't work.  But this time the magic happened, I could adjust the curves and darken the layer.  🙄

Edited by DDSnacko

3 hours ago, DDSnacko said:

Yes, Gimp is Fickle!!  I closed Gimp and waited a while.. Then tried again and it worked.  I just did the same thing as before that didn't work.  But this time the magic happened, I could adjust the curves and darken the layer.  🙄

I don't know, perhaps GIMP is playing tricks on you, but once I figured out how to do it, it does work reliably.

short description of my actions (GIMP 2.10.12), when I want to tone down the gloss:
- drag the Alpha channel from Channels to layers (thus make a new Layer out of it), put it on top, make it visible. Everything should appear in shades of grey.

- Apply Curves adjustments - image should appear darker

- now drag this darkened layer back to channels and make it invisible in Layers (or delete it)

- flatten image, add layer mask, initialize it on newly created darker alpha channel
- export as usual

Edited by J2_Jakob

I'm using the latest version of GIMP and am able to get it to work reliably now.  Thanks for the reply.  Doing this skinning has gotten me to learn a lot more about how Gimp works with the paths and selections.

• Upvote 1